[Q] Possible fix for my Nexus 4?

Search This thread

Espada04

Sep 13, 2012
Here is my problem. I have a Nexus 4 that constantly powers off. And by power off, I mean as soon as the Nexus 4 boots up into the OS, the phone starts the power off sequence.

What I've tried so far was:
- in recovery did a factory reset, wiped both the data and cache partition.
- tried reloading the official nexus 4 firmware. Tried the 4.4.4 and 4.4.3 image
- used fastboot to load up a custom recover only to realize there is no rom on the phone itself to install from so that's out of the question pretty much.
- I tried the adb sideload but the computer doesn't see the nexus 4. the computer however sees the phone when it boots into the OS but the phone starts the shutdown operation as soon as it loads the start screen.

If it's hardware issue, then I guess there's no point in trying to fix it. But if it's only software related I want to at least try to see if it can be saved. lol

Any suggestions?

danmen2

Jul 7, 2014
Try booting with your N4 plugged and leave it plugged so 5 minutes, check your battery status and if it's ok unplug it and cross your fingers.

Espada04

Sep 13, 2012
Well I know this happens when you have 0% battery

maybe your battery isn't charging?

I thought about that at first. but according to twrp the battery life was above 70% and can run on battery perfectly fine. The phone doesn't actually belong to me. She gave up trying to fix her problem and got a new phone. I just got curious and want to find out what is causing the issue.

Try booting with your N4 plugged and leave it plugged so 5 minutes, check your battery status and if it's ok unplug it and cross your fingers.

I left the battery charging all of last night just to try it regardless of what the status said. It was hovering at around 70-80% according to TWRP before I plugged it in. It actually made progress today. The phone booted up. So I put in LPV just for the fun of it. The first time it booted up into LPV, it was doing the shut down process as well. Plugged it back into the wall for 5 mins, unplugged it and turned on like normal. Went through the set up process.

Left it sitting there for about an hour. Then decided to shut down the phone and restart it to see if that issue would return. Didn't return until Play Store started doing updates. The phone shut down. Powered it back up and it was fine. lol. Battery life right now is sitting at 78% and battery widget reborn is saying the temperature is 39C. So it coule very well be the battery. But my friend said the guy she brought the phone for repairs supposedly changed the battery. lol. So I don't know.

danmen2

Jul 7, 2014
I left the battery charging all of last night just to try it regardless of what the status said. It was hovering at around 70-80% according to TWRP before I plugged it in. It actually made progress today. The phone booted up. So I put in LPV just for the fun of it. The first time it booted up into LPV, it was doing the shut down process as well. Plugged it back into the wall for 5 mins, unplugged it and turned on like normal. Went through the set up process.

Left it sitting there for about an hour. Then decided to shut down the phone and restart it to see if that issue would return. Didn't return until Play Store started doing updates. The phone shut down. Powered it back up and it was fine. lol. Battery life right now is sitting at 78% and battery widget reborn is saying the temperature is 39C. So it coule very well be the battery. But my friend said the guy she brought the phone for repairs supposedly changed the battery. lol. So I don't know.

Yeah, sounds like a possible bad repair. Try another thing, flash a kernel not based on stock, like hell's doctor or hell's core. After 4.4.4 there are several issues like boot loops and shutdowns with kernels based on stock.

Espada04

Sep 13, 2012
Yeah, sounds like a possible bad repair. Try another thing, flash a kernel not based on stock, like hell's doctor or hell's core. After 4.4.4 there are several issues like boot loops and shutdowns with kernels based on stock.

Well it's running Android L Preview port so it's not running 4.4.4 based rom. At least to my knowledge. I'm going to see how long this last. I suspect they didn't really replace the battery or it could be an issue on the motherboard side not detecting the proper charge level on the battery? But battery life so far on the phone seems pretty crappy. 13% in the last 45 minutes on airplane mode with wifi on.