Run Netflix on CM10 & 11 Xposed Framework module

Search This thread

ptericles

Mar 11, 2012
Burbank
google.com
April 7 Netflix update

Has anyone else tried the April 7 update of Netflix on the Nook Color? I've been running Netflix on CyanogenMod version 10.2.1-encore for a while with the Xposed framework and module Xposed CM10.1 Netflix Workaround [1.0] (to patch Netflix to think it's running on 4.0). After the update (which had playback optimizations), Netflix crashes on startup.

Then I updated the Xposed framework to the latest version 2.5, but updating the framework wasn't going to help. I'll be looking for an updated module greater than version 1.0. Netflix doesn't crash if I disable the module (of course the video is small and in the upper left corner without the module).

I would consider updating to CyanogenMod 11.0 if the video performance is not worse than in 10.2.1.

Has anyone been able to successfully run the April 7 update of Netflix on the Nook Color? Is everyone on the Nook Color abandoning the Xposed module with 10.2.1-encore for CyanogenMod 11 Milestone 5+ and just using Liquid64's script instead?

Last edited:

pastordl

Jun 4, 2011
NH
Has anyone else tried the April 7 update of Netflix on the Nook Color? I've been running Netflix on CyanogenMod version 10.2.1-encore for a while with the Xposed framework and module Xposed CM10.1 Netflix Workaround [1.0] (to patch Netflix to think it's running on 4.0). After the update (which had playback optimizations), Netflix crashes on startup.

Then I updated the Xposed framework to the latest version 2.5, but updating the framework wasn't going to help. I'll be looking for an updated module greater than version 1.0. Netflix doesn't crash if I disable the module (of course the video is small and in the upper left corner without the module).

I would consider updating to CyanogenMod 11.0 if the video performance is not worse than in 10.2.1.

Has anyone been able to successfully run the April 7 update of Netflix on the Nook Color? Is everyone on the Nook Color abandoning the Xposed module with 10.2.1-encore for CyanogenMod 11 Milestone 5+ and just using Liquid64's script instead?

The latest update of the Netflix app does not seem to work with CM 10 or 11. I have tried both the Xposed work around and Liquid64's Hack with no success. In the OP I noted this and have the previous version of the Netflix App available for download. I would suggest you (everyone) contact liquid64 and Kaepernick thru the links in the OP to see if we can help them, encourage them, ??? to update their work so we can continue to enjoy the latest apps. I also urge everyone to call Netflix at 1-866-658-3608 and complain about the new app that leaves so many behind.

Last edited:

ptericles

Mar 11, 2012
Burbank
google.com
There was a problem parsing the package.

In the OP I noted this and have the previous version of the Netflix App available for download.

I tried downloading the attached com.netflix.mdiaclient.v3.2.1-B1346.apk on my nook color with Firefox and the ES Downloader, and the original Android browser, but I get a Parse error: There was a problem parsing the package.

Am I missing something? Is the name of the package supposed to be something other than com.netflix.mdiaclient.v3.2.1-B1346.apk

Last edited:

pastordl

Jun 4, 2011
NH
I tried downloading the attached com.netflix.mdiaclient.v3.2.1-B1346.apk on my nook color with Firefox and the ES Downloader, and the original Android browser, but I get a Parse error: There was a problem parsing the package.

Am I missing something? Is the name of the package supposed to be something other than com.netflix.mdiaclient.v3.2.1-B1346.apk

My mistake I uploaded the apk. I should have uploaded the Zip containing the APK since XDA does not allow APK this big. It is in the OP now. Download the Zip Unzip and install. Trying to hurry, always a mistake. Make sure you turn off auto update in Google Play store for Netflix.

Last edited:

webyrd

May 4, 2011
Florida
My mistake I uploaded the apk. I should have uploaded the Zip containing the APK since XDA does not allow APK this big. It is in the OP now. Download the Zip Unzip and install. Trying to hurry, always a mistake. Make sure you turn off auto update in Google Play store for Netflix.

Thanks for the upload pastor, had not even installed yet, just noticed Netflix updating again, will try before I do and let you know
Edit
4/09 update 3.2.3 does not work either

Last edited:

moocow1452

Nov 16, 2011
Livonia
Any news with newer iterations of the app, or are we still better off with the last version that worked?

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

pastordl

Jun 4, 2011
NH
Any news with newer iterations of the app, or are we still better off with the last version that worked?

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

The problem with the newer apps is they stopped including the older player which is what the workarounds used. 3.2.1 is the last working version for those who have older devices. The new player is not at this point backwards compatible.

dougleto

Oct 13, 2011
So what's the issue exactly

The problem with the newer apps is they stopped including the older player which is what the workarounds used. 3.2.1 is the last working version for those who have older devices. The new player is not at this point backwards compatible.

Could someone briefly explain what the problem is with Netflix on the older devices? I'm running CM11 on an HP TP (have a Nook Color as well but haven't used it in a while). When I run the current version of Netflix, I get garbled video for 30-60 seconds (sometimes longer, occasionally shorter), then it seems ok (but very frequently buffers for a while and then the app crashes). What exactly is the problem with running Netflix on these devices and is it something the CM broke or is it Netflix' fault? I'll contact Netflix if it's their problem, but I'd like to know what the story is before I do.

Reactions: saumar

pastordl

Jun 4, 2011
NH
Could someone briefly explain what the problem is with Netflix on the older devices? I'm running CM11 on an HP TP (have a Nook Color as well but haven't used it in a while). When I run the current version of Netflix, I get garbled video for 30-60 seconds (sometimes longer, occasionally shorter), then it seems ok (but very frequently buffers for a while and then the app crashes). What exactly is the problem with running Netflix on these devices and is it something the CM broke or is it Netflix' fault? I'll contact Netflix if it's their problem, but I'd like to know what the story is before I do.

What you describe are some of the symptoms as well as a quarter screen size picture. It varies with tablet manufacturer and the age of the tablet. The older the tablet the greater the problems. It is definitely the Netflix app. For most tablets that started with gingerbread this has been an increasing problem since Ice Cream Sandwich. This is why the workarounds have been necessary to run Netflix on older tablets. The app had to be made to believe it was running on gingerbread so it would use the player that functioned with gingerbread. After v3.2.1 Netflix dropped the older player and made all workarounds redundant. The new player works with new graphics chips and the associated drivers. So basically netflix has chosen to support a player that only works with newer chips.

Reactions: saumar and bowguy

dougleto

Oct 13, 2011
What you describe are some of the symptoms as well as a quarter screen size picture. It varies with tablet manufacturer and the age of the tablet. The older the tablet the greater the problems. It is definitely the Netflix app. For most tablets that started with gingerbread this has been an increasing problem since Ice Cream Sandwich. This is why the workarounds have been necessary to run Netflix on older tablets. The app had to be made to believe it was running on gingerbread so it would use the player that functioned with gingerbread. After v3.2.1 Netflix dropped the older player and made all workarounds redundant. The new player works with new graphics chips and the associated drivers. So basically netflix has chosen to support a player that only works with newer chips.

Ok, thanks. So any advice on what the best way to contact netflix is? I don't see any way to email them, just call or chat.

pastordl

Jun 4, 2011
NH
Ok, thanks. So any advice on what the best way to contact netflix is? I don't see any way to email them, just call or chat.

The phone number under "contact us" on the web site. Also gives a service code that you enter to "speed up service"

Phone # 1-866-658-3608. The code you'll have to get when logged into Netflix in a browser, under contact us, then "call us".

jaffadog

Jul 28, 2012
I have a touchpad with milaq's 4.4 installed. Is this an either/or approach to getting netflix working reliably? either i go back to netflix 3.2.1 build 1346, or I can use the current netflix version from the play store with netflixHackPersis.zip installed?

pastordl

Jun 4, 2011
NH
I have a touchpad with milaq's 4.4 installed. Is this an either/or approach to getting netflix working reliably? either i go back to netflix 3.2.1 build 1346, or I can use the current netflix version from the play store with netflixHackPersis.zip installed?

It is not either or. The Netflix hack persist causes Netflix to think its running on gingerbread and allows the hack to survive rom updates. Any build beyond 3.2.1 doesn't have the player needed to work with older tablets. The hacks allowed older tablets to use later rom by causing netflix to think it was running gingerbread and hence the older player. At this point if you can't run the current Netflix on your tablet running a Jelly Bean or later rom you need to run option 2 {Netflix hack persist}, and ver 3.2.1, like it says in red in the OP "must have". If they don't work, I know of no other solution at this time.

Last edited:

jaffadog

Jul 28, 2012
It is not either or. The Netflix hack persist causes Netflix to think its running on gingerbread and allows the hack to survive rom updates. Any build beyond 3.2.1 doesn't have the player needed to work with older tablets. The hacks allowed older tablets to use later rom by causing netflix to think it was running gingerbread and hence the older player. At this point if you can't run the current Netflix on your tablet running a Jelly Bean or later rom you need to run option 2 {Netflix hack persist}, and ver 3.2.1, like it says in red in the OP "must have". If they don't work, I know of no other solution at this time.

thanks pastordl... and confirmed for my platform: touchpad with milaq's 4.4 KK - used option 2 (netflixhackpersist.zip) with netflix 3.2.1 and all is good. cheers!

tappr

Sep 19, 2014
Netflix not working on CM11-20140919-NIGHTLY

I just upgraded to CM 11 (2014-09-19 Nightly) and I've followed all instructions here but Netflix won't work. When I try to play a video I just get "Sorry, Netflix has stopped"

Android Version = 4.4.4
Netflix version = 3.2.1 build 1346

I put the NetflixHackPersist on my SD card, renamed cm-update.zip, and booted to SD Card recovery. I get the little penguin and a page full of text, then shut down. Reboot...login to Netflix...won't play anything.

pastordl

Jun 4, 2011
NH
I just upgraded to CM 11 (2014-09-19 Nightly) and I've followed all instructions here but Netflix won't work. When I try to play a video I just get "Sorry, Netflix has stopped"

Android Version = 4.4.4
Netflix version = 3.2.1 build 1346

I put the NetflixHackPersist on my SD card, renamed cm-update.zip, and booted to SD Card recovery. I get the little penguin and a page full of text, then shut down. Reboot...login to Netflix...won't play anything.

Also make sure you clear the data file for Netflix in app manager. Will require re-entering username and password. You might want to try this first, quicker and easier. If this fails you may need to re-delete data after reinstalling the NetflixHackPersist.zip with leapinlar's Alt recovery.

Check this post: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=50494411&postcount=14.

Make sure you are using leapinlars Alt recovery, as mentioned in the post. Available here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25355850&postcount=2 See B5 and get the Alt recovery in the attached files at the bottom.

Edit 1: I haven't used netflix on my nook for a few weeks. I checked and it is not working with 9-19 or 9-12 nightly on EMMC. Might be something that changed in CM11. Will be trying older nightlies to narrow down when the change happened.

Edit 2: @tappr Tried again today, everything working fine with 9/19 on EMMC. Netflix might have had a platform specific problem. I few months ago I could not watch Netflix on my Roku, but could on my Nook and PC. The next day everything was fine.

Last edited:

tappr

Sep 19, 2014
Worked!

Also make sure you clear the data file for Netflix in app manager. Will require re-entering username and password. You might want to try this first, quicker and easier. If this fails you may need to re-delete data after reinstalling the NetflixHackPersist.zip with leapinlar's Alt recovery.

Check this post: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=50494411&postcount=14.

Make sure you are using leapinlars Alt recovery, as mentioned in the post. Available here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25355850&postcount=2 See B5 and get the Alt recovery in the attached files at the bottom.

Edit 1: I haven't used netflix on my nook for a few weeks. I checked and it is not working with 9-19 or 9-12 nightly on EMMC. Might be something that changed in CM11. Will be trying older nightlies to narrow down when the change happened.

Edit 2: @tappr Tried again today, everything working fine with 9/19 on EMMC. Netflix might have had a platform specific problem. I few months ago I could not watch Netflix on my Roku, but could on my Nook and PC. The next day everything was fine.

Thanks for your help! The link you provided with the Alt recovery is exactly what I needed. Netflix up and running now!

Reactions: pastordl

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You can run Netflix on CM 10 & 11 (4.2, 3&4) on EMMC through the latest CM10.2 nightly and CM11 builds.
    The Kernel changes make watching Netflix in "MEDIUM" playback speed watchable. Only occasional bumps after the first 30 seconds. Great for a three year old tablet. I claim no credit, save some research time. I'm only pointing out the work of giants.

It works in CM11 (4.4) in most devices. PLEASE post a note with make and model as well as ROM you are using. If you try with Xposed Framework make sure and get the latest version. Also with CM11 on Nook Color (maybe others) You Must Use Liquid64's NetflixHackPersist.zip per option #2 and nightly 2-10 or later. Also you must use Ver. 3.2.1-B1346 netflix or earlier, Available below. Versions 3.3.1-B1463+ don't work for CM10 or CM11. I urge everyone to call Netflix at 1-866-658-3608 and complain about the new app that leaves so many behind. Also go to Twitter and Facebook and encourage others to let Netflix know their displeasure.

It is working on SD with CM11. See Post (#14) & (#39) for details. (Please, If you try on SD whether it works or not please post a reply in forum and I'll update.) Runs on my Nook Color with CM10.2 or CM11 on EMMC just fine, (See post #3 for 24+ others).

The Process, if your interested:
    I had to do a lot of searching to find this since most of it is not on the Nook Color forums. I thought I would post the accumulated info and links here to make it easier for fellow Nookie (and others tablet) owners. Did also find that other tablets and phones are having the same problem with Netflix app. The following is a listing of things I have tried and know that they work on the Nook Color. Some of this has been mentioned sporadically on Nook Color (Encore) ROM and DEV forums.
    The two forums with the most helpful info:

By Entropy512 Originator of the Xposed Netflix module All Exynos4 devices (Go there and give him thanks)
    Use the XposedCM10.1NetflixWorkaround.apk below for Exynos4 devices
    and
    by Kaepernick - Changes that made it work on HTC Droid Incredible (And Nook Color and several others) (Go there and give him thanks)
    Use the XposedCM10-10.1NetflixWorkaround-Dinc.apk below for all other devices

Option #1 - From Kaepernicks OP. If running CM11 on nook color must use option #2 and Ver. 3.2.1-B1346 netflix or earlier, Available below.

"Well, thanks to Entropy512's help, I was able to modify his Xposed hack to work on CM10 (based on Android 4.1) and CM10.1 (based on Android 4.2) for the Incredible. Using the newest Netflix app and it's working well without issue. It's easy to install. You just need two files:

Xposed Installer: See latest
    Xposed Installer file link in the link just above the attachments at the bottom of this post.

*****For Installer Forum and Updates: (Go there and give Rovo89 thanks)

XposedCM10-10.1 Netflix Hack: See attached file below (XposedCM10=10.1NextflixWorkaround-Dinc)

In order to install:

1. Download both files to the root directory of your SD Card. Install the Xposed Installer apk
    2. Once Installed, open it up. Press the Install/Update button to install the Xposed Framework. Allow Superuser Permissions. Once it's done, reboot.
    3. Install the Xposed Netflix Workaround apk.
    For Nooks, Droids, Etc use XposedCM10-10.1NetflixWorkaround-Dinc.apk
    4. Open up the Xposed Installer and select the Modules button. You should see the Xposed Netflix Workaround option. Tap the checkbox. Reboot.
    5. Open up Netflix. Enjoy.

The background of the app will be white, which is weird, but video will work."

*** Make the Xposed Framework persist through a CM ROM update with script "90-xposedpersist.sh" (in the 90-xposedpersist.zip), put the ".sh" file in the /system/addon.d/ folder. See Post #4 for specifics***

Option #2 - On Entropy512's site I noted that Liquid64 was working on a zip to make the install persist and has since done it. I have tried it and it works. It's easier than #1 but you'll miss trying the other modules in Xposed.
    If running CM11 on nook color must use option #2 and Ver. 3.2.1-B1346 netflix or earlier, Available below.
    His response to my request to include his work is below: (You should give him thanks here)
    "Just for reference, my zip file does not rely on the xposed modules. It is just an init.d script that changes the nflx_player_type value. There's also an addon.d script that backs up the init.d script in the event there is a firmware upgrade.
    I guess is anyone is interested in looking at there, here it is:

(See attached files below: NetflixHackPersist.zip & removeNetflixHack.zip)

The addon.d script can be adapted to also back up the exposed modules, as Entropy512 had suggested above. "
    There are two zip files. The Hack Persist.zip is installed from recovery to make the changes persist after upgrades without using the Xposed installer. The Remove.zip uninstalls the Hack persist also installed in recovery. The background of the App will again be in black.

This does work on SD on Nook Color running CM11. See Post (#14) & (#39) for details or
    Copy NetflixHackPersist.zip to the root directory of the SD and rename it to cm-update.zip. Install the card and boot to Leapinlar's recovery to install to the card. Reboot and good to go.
    I will try to keep this up to date as to any changes or problems. I found others on XDA did not know the Nook Color had the same problem. If you know of other tablets or phones using CM 10+ are having this problem let them know so they also might benefit.

Where is the NetFlix Icon?
    I have received a couple of PMs asking where the Netflix shortcut (icon) is after installing the workarounds. These workarounds are fixes that allow the newer Netflix apps to work with the ROM. You must have the current Netflix app installed from the Google play store. The workarounds do not replace the Netflix app, nor do they install the Netflix app.
    Problem with Netflix App Ver 3.1.0+?
    If you have problems with updating to version 3.1.0, in app manager delete all data for Netflix then open Netflix and reenter user id and password. Then reboot the tablet. When you enter Netflix again everything should work fine.
    All credit for the attached files goes to the authors listed above. I have also attached all needed files below including the latest updates. If you have any suggestions or questions please post below.

Personal note about Xposed Framework:
    I encourage you to to install the latest Xposed framework (See link above attachments at the bottom of this post). I have found several of the modules available for downloading right in the Xposed app do great things. The App settings module gives an interface like Paranoid Android ROM without losing any of the CM greatness. Best of both worlds for me. See XDA article here: http://www.xda-developers.com/andro...ds-new-features-and-support-for-miui-and-x86/
    For the diehards that just want a Netflix app that works and don't care if its the latest Netflix app.
    I included the 1.8.1 version, just extract from the zip. Easier yes, more exciting no. I like a little excitement in my tablet. Also have added Version 2.0.2 which works on some devices. If running CM11 on nook color must use option #2 also.
    Enjoy and spread this to everyone you know that wants to use the Netflix app on their devices and has been unable. (+85) If this helped you please hit the thanks button.

:highfive:

Get latest Xposed Framework apk at this link http://dl.xposed.info/latest.apk

The latest update of the Netflix app does not seem to work with CM 10 or 11. I have tried both the Xposed work around and Liquid64's Hack with no success. In the OP I noted this and have the previous version of the Netflix App available for download. I would suggest you (everyone) contact liquid64 and Kaepernick thru the links in the OP to see if we can help them, encourage them, ??? to update their work so we can continue to enjoy the latest apps. I also urge everyone to call Netflix at 1-866-658-3608 and complain about the new app that leaves so many behind.
    Netflix on CM11 on SD

Confirming that the latest Netflix is working on an SD install. Copy NetflixHackPersist.zip to the root directory of the SD and rename it to cm-update.zip. Install the card and boot to Leapinlar's recovery to install to the card. Reboot and good to go.
    Make your Xposed Framework Persist also.

After some continued research and testing I have found this work around for having to reinstall Xposed and do a reboot after a ROM update.

I asked Rovo89 the developer of Xposed Framework and got this answer.

The Source info and Script are first here:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=43112783&postcount=1911 (Go there and give him thanks)

And also here.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=43473060&postcount=2043 (Go there and give him thanks)

I put Fiouz's script in file "90-xposedpersist.sh" and put the file in /system/addon.d/ in the Nook. If your tablet has this directory it should work.

The file is attached in the OP (in the 90-xposedpersist.zip),

I tried it for a few weeks and regular nightly ROM updates and works great on Nook Color CM 10.2 & 11 in EMMC. Should work on any CM 9, 10 or 11. Great time saver for nightly update addicts.

:highfive:
    I applied the Liquid64's fix on the HP Touchpad running Milaq's CM11 Previously I had a spinning wheel when trying to load videos. Now with the fix applied I have nice quality Netflix Videos!

Thanks Liquid64!