Google drive

Search This thread

xpsychox

Dec 1, 2011
Marion
Okay.. I've tried to find the answer to no avail... I'm use to being able to have a micro SD card.. Obviously the moto x u can't.. Here's my problem.. I listen to music all the time...even to help me sleep.. I have to upload all my music to google drive..but it seems I can only play one song at a time.. I've even contacted moto and they said "yeah...Google music app can do that" but I can't get it to work... Does anyone else have ideas it doesn't have to be google music app..not a huge fan...but any ideas how to play more than one at a time?

Slapped my Moto

wiggerbrand

Jul 17, 2012
Are you referring to Google Play Music?

Have you tried the shuffle all option on the Songs list? See screenshot.

dusuheqy.jpg

Alternatively you can play a song, then find other albums, artists, or songs and add them to the queue.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

xpsychox

Dec 1, 2011
Marion
Are you referring to Google Play Music?

Have you tried the shuffle all option on the Songs list? See screenshot.

dusuheqy.jpg

Alternatively you can play a song, then find other albums, artists, or songs and add them to the queue.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I have tried shuffle actually.. It only does the ringtones/notifications on my phone..not from google drive...but yes I was referring to google play music.

Slapped my Moto

brian Marshall

Mar 1, 2012
I have tried shuffle actually.. It only does the ringtones/notifications on my phone..not from google drive...but yes I was referring to google play music.

Slapped my Moto

music for google play music is not stored in drive. It's separate (and uses separate data allotment as well 30GB i believe)
What you need to do is download the google music manager to the computer where your music is stored. It will upload all of it in the background.

start here https://support.google.com/googleplay/topic/1229912?hl=en&ref_topic=2999684

There's no need to put your music in drive, except maybe to share it which might get you in trouble. I'm not sure how google handles the legality of all that.

xpsychox

Dec 1, 2011
Marion
Well actually I do need to put music on my Google drive... Simply due to the fact I have over 10gb of music and my phone only has 11gb after OS....sooo..yeah.

Slapped my Moto

DanRyb

Jun 6, 2010
Los Angeles
Well actually I do need to put music on my Google drive... Simply due to the fact I have over 10gb of music and my phone only has 11gb after OS....sooo..yeah.

Slapped my Moto

Google Play Music player won't stream it from Drive. I'm not sure of a player that will. If you upload your music to Google Play Music as the prior poster mentioned, it is free up to 20,000 songs (not sure what the "GB restriction" may be).

You can then use the Google Play Music app to stream it from the cloud - it doesn't need to be stored on the device (but you can cache songs/playlists if you want so you aren't streaming them).

brian Marshall

Mar 1, 2012

Slapped my Moto

click the link i posted and READ. (it's really not even hard, but you have to realize the two services are separate)
The music gets stored online. then you can stream it from anywhere. your phone. your computer. your tablet. your friend's computer, etc.
I've got about 25GB on google music. none of it is on my phone or my N7 or my computer at work. I stream for several hours a say with no problems.

I'm not sure how open drive is to developers so I'm not sure even a 3rd party player would support streaming from drive.

If you wanted to go really crazy you could buy a cloud enabled network hard drive. You can get a 2TB drive for about $150 and hook it up to your home router and you can stream HD movies to your phone if your connection on both ends is fast enough.

Reactions: wiggerbrand

xpsychox

Dec 1, 2011
Marion
click the link i posted and READ. (it's really not even hard, but you have to realize the two services are separate)
The music gets stored online. then you can stream it from anywhere. your phone. your computer. your tablet. your friend's computer, etc.
I've got about 25GB on google music. none of it is on my phone or my N7 or my computer at work. I stream for several hours a say with no problems.

I'm not sure how open drive is to developers so I'm not sure even a 3rd party player would support streaming from drive.

If you wanted to go really crazy you could buy a cloud enabled network hard drive. You can get a 2TB drive for about $150 and hook it up to your home router and you can stream HD movies to your phone if your connection on both ends is fast enough.

Okay..first.. I'm not buying another HDD..I have unlimited data and I'm not using WiFi.. 2ndly u didn't need to add the **** move of if u READ.. I didn't have time..was at work.. Besides already have a 2tb Seagate network HDD.. Still won't do what I want.. Beside the point.. Trying to figure out how to stream from Google drive and listen to Kore than one song.. I asked for help..if u can't help someone without being rude then u shouldn't try.. Thanks for the rest of u that tried to help.

Slapped my Moto

DanRyb

Jun 6, 2010
Los Angeles
Okay..first.. I'm not buying another HDD..I have unlimited data and I'm not using WiFi.. 2ndly u didn't need to add the **** move of if u READ.. I didn't have time..was at work.. Besides already have a 2tb Seagate network HDD.. Still won't do what I want.. Beside the point.. Trying to figure out how to stream from Google drive and listen to Kore than one song.. I asked for help..if u can't help someone without being rude then u shouldn't try.. Thanks for the rest of u that tried to help.

Slapped my Moto

No offense but we are trying to help. You can't "stream music" from Google Drive. If you want options of playing more than one song, you need to use Google Play Music.

Reactions: 1ManWolfePack

mmegalodon

Aug 14, 2010
Drive isn't 'designed' to be used in this fashion. It can play audio files, but it isn't meant to be used as a primary music player. You would be better off using other means to effectively play music. Play Music is your best bet, but if you think that's not going to work then I'd look around for alternatives. Play Music might benefit you, though, as you can cache music offline so you don't have to be connected to listen. Some good playback options are present, too.

Oct 12, 2010
Oh man, wouldn't it be nice if there was a service that let you store your music on the cloud, much like Google Drive, but that you could also stream from... Unlike Google Drive?

Well the good news is that I know of just such a service! It let's you store tens of thousands of songs online, for free. And, you can listen to them from any internet connected device.
Sound good?
It's called "Google Play Music" and it's what the other folks on this thread have been trying to tell you about.

Oh, and regarding you getting called out for not reading: if you don't have time read a link, then you don't have time to be replying to the person who posted it.

Seriously, if you ask for help with something, show a little respect to the people who try to provide that help.

Sent from my XT1053 using xda app-developers app

xpsychox

Dec 1, 2011
Marion
No offense but we are trying to help. You can't "stream music" from Google Drive. If you want options of playing more than one song, you need to use Google Play Music.

I'm not trying to stream from it.. I'm trying to connect to it and have access to it. I don't care if I have to use Google play music..its not my first choice...but if it gets the job done..just trying to figure out how to many play a playlist or something like that.

Slapped my Moto

Oct 12, 2010
After connecting to and having access to it, do you want to play the music? Because that's called streaming.

Playing music, that isn't on your device, over a network = streaming.

If that's not what you're trying to do, than I'm not sure what your goal is. Care to elaborate?

xpsychox

Dec 1, 2011
Marion
Oh man, wouldn't it be nice if there was a service that let you store your music on the cloud, much like Google Drive, but that you could also stream from... Unlike Google Drive?

Well the good news is that I know of just such a service! It let's you store tens of thousands of songs online, for free. And, you can listen to them from any internet connected device.
Sound good?
It's called "Google Play Music" and it's what the other folks on this thread have been trying to tell you about.

Oh, and regarding you getting called out for not reading: if you don't have time read a link, then you don't have time to be replying to the person who posted it.

Seriously, if you ask for help with something, show a little respect to the people who try to provide that help.

And I agree... Like I stated it was just a quick check and a quick reply.. However what set me off is the way he said it..I'm always thankful for answers given.. Its something I didn't know.. But when someone just puts u down like that .its just flat out rude.

Slapped my Moto

xpsychox

Dec 1, 2011
Marion
After connecting to and having access to it, do you want to play the music? Because that's called streaming.

Playing music, that isn't on your device, over a network = streaming.

If that's not what you're trying to do, than I'm not sure what your goal is. Care to elaborate?

my appoligies... thought u were talking bout directly from drive... long story short, yes like i said in first post i listen to music to go to sleep.. have since i was a kid.. i use to own the droid razr and i still have to use it.... i hate it... having 2 phones next to me on the night stand.. one for use as normal (moto x) and the razr JUST for music... i want to have all music uploaded to drive, and use something (google play music?) to have access to it.. but i can't figure it out.. i can't find a way to do it...that's my goal... to get down to one phone.

nevermind... I've got it... i had to use muisc manager to upload and then i had access to them..

Last edited:

brian Marshall

Mar 1, 2012

Slapped my Moto

Hmmmm am I finally an XDA veteran now since someone called me a **** because I asked them to read something.

There was no offense intended. I was just trying to help. I only mentioned network HDDs to make the point that there's little need to store media on your phone (unless you can't get a signal of course)

XDA is generally not very forgiving if you don't take the time to READ. Even less forgiving if you are provided an answer and reply without reading it. Go through just about any question forum on here and half answers to half the topics are "do a search" or "read." If you are sensitive about it XDA may not be the place for you. We all watched the video when we signed up. We are all just NOOBs right? :)

Anyway I hope you've got it figured out.

xpsychox

Dec 1, 2011
Marion
Hmmmm am I finally an XDA veteran now since someone called me a **** because I asked them to read something.

There was no offense intended. I was just trying to help. I only mentioned network HDDs to make the point that there's little need to store media on your phone (unless you can't get a signal of course)

XDA is generally not very forgiving if you don't take the time to READ. Even less forgiving if you are provided an answer and reply without reading it. Go through just about any question forum on here and half answers to half the topics are "do a search" or "read." If you are sensitive about it XDA may not be the place for you. We all watched the video when we signed up. We are all just NOOBs right? :)

To be fair, I didn't call u a ****, just said a **** move.. However, that's not the point, The artical you sent me actually never said to do this, and it'll do this... I just happen to remember someone else I know (not on XDA) that said that you have to download the Music Manager to use in Google Play Music. I did end up takeing the time to fully read it when I got home, it talked about how to use it. But as far as i recall, it never said anything about how to play music from the drive... also, I guess it never uploaded it to the drive?! Sooooooo I don't know where it uploaded to, but it lets me play from the store.. so it's VERY nice.. and your right, alot of people don't take the time to read the forums, I was actually LITERALLY just talking about that on another topic... But when I responded I was responding to the rest of what you had mentioned... Long story short, it all works just fine..

vikramkhalsa

Mar 7, 2012
www.amasingh.com
Did you get it working?

Do you understand how google play music works yet? cause you still sound confused..

Google music has nothing to do with google drive, or how much free cloud storage you have. Its a separate service where you use google music manager to upload up to 25,000 songs for free, to a separate area, and then you can use the google music app or website to stream that music on any device with an internet connection.

Hope you got everything working! :)

D

Darth

Lol. I'm a vet and was called a **** just a few days back for suggesting someone read and learn something. ;)

Welcome to the club. Lol

Sent from my Moto X cell phone telephone.....

Coop9

Jul 15, 2010
Google music is the best way to do this IMO. Paired with an all access subscription, it's the best way to combine your music that you own with a huge streaming library.

However, there is an app that will play music stored on Google Drive or Dropbox. It's called Beat, and available in the play store.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Sound good?

Slapped my Moto

Slapped my Moto