[GUIDE] Unroot your HTC unlocked EVO 3D

Search This thread

GrimReaper24

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 10, 2011
Make sure you remove your current old recovery from your SD card.
You need to flash the stock recovery. Then you need to fastboot oem lock. Should lock you.

Then you need to find the latest RUU or PC86IMG.ZIP to put stock rom back on.

Then your all set :D

I threw in the stock recovery. For CDMA. Anyways have fun..

Last edited:

kgreen66

Aug 19, 2010
Liberty, MO
You need to flash the stock recovery. Then you need to fastboot oem lock. Should lock you.

I've got my stock recovery flashed and my phone relocked. I can't get the PG86IMG downloaded but do have a RUU.exe. Do I just run this from the computer since it's an executable file?

EDIT: Actually the RUU Stock exe is still downloading. Thought I'd ask in advance.

GrimReaper24

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 10, 2011
I've got my stock recovery flashed and my phone relocked. I can't get the PG86IMG downloaded but do have a RUU.exe. Do I just run this from the computer since it's an executable file?

EDIT: Actually the RUU Stock exe is still downloading. Thought I'd ask in advance.

Sup man yes you can run the ruu from bootloader I did had to relock my phone cause I got stuck in 1X HELLLLL lol seriously tho I did...

Just now got all my **** back on track 3g working and so on..

GrimReaper24

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 10, 2011
I meant completely relock.

When you relock the phone .... On hboot 1.5 at the top in hboot it says RELOCKED in pink letters... I ran latest RUU still said RELOCKED

I don't know about the S-off users if they unroot might say LOCKED instead of RELOCKED I can't confirm that since I am Hboot 1.5

Also when you RELOCK your phone it wipes your recovery off it....

Only way to run the RUU was to RELOCK from what I have read other wise the RUU won't work.... I haven't tested that to see...

Last edited:

TaterNutZ9

Aug 19, 2011
If you want to unlock your phone again after relocking, boot into fastboot and type:
Code:
fastboot flash Unlock_Code.bin
That's assuming you still have the Unlock_code.bin. If you don't, you'll have to re-do all the steps on HTCDEV

I think you have to type in:

"fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin" (without quotes)

demasao30

Apr 18, 2011
I had a question and hopefully someone can point me to the right direction. I relocked my Evo 3D with the instructions above. When I run the RUU_Shooter_S_Sprint_WWE_2.08.651.2_Radio_0.97.10.0808_NV_SPCS_1.31_003_release_208230, I get a signature error. This is the exact same version and build I have on the phone. Should I download the latest one, which is 2.17.651.5? I'm not understanding why it's not working. I have also downloaded the PGIMG86 file but I can't get to it because I can't get to Recovery when I'm on the HBOOT menu. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

GrimReaper24

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 10, 2011
I had a question and hopefully someone can point me to the right direction. I relocked my Evo 3D with the instructions above. When I run the RUU_Shooter_S_Sprint_WWE_2.08.651.2_Radio_0.97.10.0808_NV_SPCS_1.31_003_release_208230, I get a signature error. This is the exact same version and build I have on the phone. Should I download the latest one, which is 2.17.651.5? I'm not understanding why it's not working. I have also downloaded the PGIMG86 file but I can't get to it because I can't get to Recovery when I'm on the HBOOT menu. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

With that zip it should work in hboot when you click on bootloader...... Should take off...
I would run the latest Ruu 2.17 I haven't had any issues when it comes to relockin and using it...

Also before you relocked your phone always a good idea to wipe fully then relock your phone.

demasao30

Apr 18, 2011
Thanks for the quick reply reaper24, but unfortunately I followed some directions that didn't say anything about wiping the data first although I should know better. I downloaded a few more and more recent RUUs and have the same signature error. From what I am reading, it has to do with the token I guess and I need to run the adb unlock token command? I guess I need to try that when I get home tonight. Unless there is something else I am missing.....

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium

Sun1914

Oct 27, 2007
Can someone confirm, I should be deleteing recoveryimg, twrp shooterimg and bootimg once relock has been done in order to return to full stock? If its not needed please tell me so...I'm relocked already and would like to upgrade to 2.17 which I'm dowloading as I type just want to be sure I delete all necessary files...
thanks

mpgrimm2

Nov 5, 2011
Greenville, SC
When I did it, I just relocked which appeared to remove the custom recovery, and then ran the renamed Ruu PG86IMG.zip file from root of sdcard in hboot. I have used both 651.3 & 651.5 versions at various times. I tried the 651.5 exe version and it errored out. Probably a bad DL.

Sent from my "Up all night, sleep all day" Evo3D via Tapatalk.

Last edited:

karma_police

Mar 13, 2012
Unrooting GSM 1.22.707.4 on HBOOT 1.49.0011

I rooted my EVO using the method in this thread

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=124823

Now, I need to return my phone and can't seem to find a way to unroot it. I downloaded the RUU for the Asian version 1.23.709.4 but when I ran it it gave the Customer ID error which is according to the Read Me,

ERROR [131]: CUSTOMER ID ERROR
One of these error messages will appear when you use the wrong RUU to do the update. The RUU will check if the Model ID and Language ID are compatible with the Android phone. Make sure you use the correct RUU to update.

I locked, relocked the boatloader and ran the RUU but nothing, the error pops up and the phone reboots.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Never mind...got it & successfully unrooted my EVO. :)

Last edited:

Deazy8

Aug 24, 2010
3d unroot wtf??

ok been at this a couple days but this is the issue im having. I have an evo 3d cdma that has the teamwin recovery rom on it. When I access the bootloader it reads:

***unlocked***
shooter xc ship s-on rl
hboot-1.50.000
eMMC-boot
Aug 7 2011, 10:21:40

I got the phone this way and am trying to remove the teamwin rom. I tried using the pg86img.zip evo 3d and it starts loading with a blue status bar on the side of the screen then when the statuse bar finishes it takes me back to the original screen with the options (fastboot....ect) but no indication of a completed update. Also tried using Unlocking Bootloader Instructions from HTC to turn the s-on to s-off to try and relock the phone. Ruu wil not work because the ROM is not correct. LOOKIN FOR ANY CLUES!!!!!

mpgrimm2

Nov 5, 2011
Greenville, SC
ok been at this a couple days but this is the issue im having. I have an evo 3d cdma that has the teamwin recovery rom on it. When I access the bootloader it reads:
***unlocked***
shooter xc ship s-on rl
hboot-1.50.000

Not quite sure from your post what you are trying to accomplish, but ROM's and Recovery's are not the same. You have TeamWinRecovery not a Rom.
- Are you trying to Relock and Restore to stock?
- Are you trying to update the phone to 2.17?

If not, I suggest you stay unlocked. If you want more info on flashing, unlocking, using & Flashing a different recovery, etc. See the Guide/flashing notes in my signature, it will cover a lot of the basics for you.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have noticed a lot of people asking how to unroot their 3d and return back to stock after unlocking with HTCDEV. Here's how:

Step 1: Download the RUU for your phone:
    CDMA: PG86IMG.zip
    GSM: GSM RUUs
    (There are more GSM RUUs than CDMA, so here's all of them.)

Rogers RUU link is here.

Step 2: Place the PG86IMG.zip (CDMA- GSM will be similar) on the root of your sdcard.

Step 3: Reboot to recovery and wipe everything (Dalvik, cache, data, system, factory reset)

Step 4: Plug in your phone and reboot to bootloader via ADB
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

Step 5: Boot into Hboot and allow the RUU zip to flash to the phone.

Step 6: Boot into fastboot

Step 7: Relock your bootloader
    Code:
    fastboot oem lock

Setp 8: Reboot.

Note: Your bootloader will say *** RELOCKED *** after you're done. That is how your carrier and HTC will know you've unlocked. There is no way to avoid this yet.

***** Make sure you put the CORRECT RUU image on you sdcard. If you have Sprint you're CDMA, if not, you're GSM. Don't mix the two up.

If you want to unlock your phone again after relocking, boot into fastboot and type:
    Code:
    fastboot flash Unlock_Code.bin
    That's assuming you still have the Unlock_code.bin. If you don't, you'll have to re-do all the steps on HTCDEV

GSM RUUs from Football's thread here

CDMA RUU from Mr.ESP's post here

I followed a couple of these evo3d unlocker's with no avail. My phone is now stuck on fastboot/bootloader screen. I can move around and reboot but it comes back to the bootloader menu.
    Says
    Relocked
    Security warning
    shooter XC Ship S-ON RL
    HBOOT-1.50.000
    RADIO-1.06.00.1216
    eMMC BOOT

I have the PG86IMG.ZIP on my sd card and it looks for it and loads it from the this boot menu. I can't get me phone to a stock rom. I had it HTCDEV rooted and have done the htc unlock here and there but I got tired of messing with it so I put it up for a day but I really need to get my phone back working. I want to get stock to get ICS update or to get a good working stable ICS Rom on my phone at this point.
    Please help
    Im not really that much of a noob but I get frustrated with it all sometimes and drop it for a little while and keep reading post for a few days till I can think better...hahaha

Since you are locked S-on, you just need to run the ruu.exe for your carrier/location (check the CDMA or GSM development stickies). Also, you need to remove the zip from the sd card, otherwise, you get into a bootloader bootloop like you're in.
    thanks to bebolf for having it in his dropbox and posting a link here ive gone ahead and uploaded the Rogers RUU to multiupload ... see below link, will post in footballs thread in gsm forum..

http://www.multiupload.com/7JM43LU588
    Does anyone have a working link to the lateset RUU?
    You can find it here.

ramjet73