[Q]RUU Error 170

Search This thread

enduu

Feb 17, 2012
Hi guys,

I have an HTC One with S-OFF and GPE ROM, I'm trying to get pretty much everything back to stock now. I've identified my CID and downloaded the appropriate RUU exe, the drivers are installed properly and the device is recognized when I run adb devices. However, when I try the RUU it gives me error 170, and on the last step it shows this which is pretty weird "abd dfksfsafjsdfkklsj". Any ideas? Thanks.

Edit: It seems to give that error even when I don't have the phone plugged in at all:

"1. Connect the Smartphone to the USB cable
abd dfksfsafjsdfkklsj"

Last edited:

alray

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 22, 2012
Hi guys,

I have an HTC One with S-OFF and GPE ROM, I'm trying to get pretty much everything back to stock now. I've identified my CID and downloaded the appropriate RUU exe, the drivers are installed properly and the device is recognized when I run adb devices. However, when I try the RUU it gives me error 170, and on the last step it shows this which is pretty weird "abd dfksfsafjsdfkklsj". Any ideas? Thanks.

Edit: It seems to give that error even when I don't have the phone plugged in at all:

"1. Connect the Smartphone to the USB cable
abd dfksfsafjsdfkklsj"

Error 170 = usb connection error either because a bad cable, drivers installed incorrectly etc. etc... Try a different cable, re-install drivers correctly and use usb 2.0 ports only.

enduu

Feb 17, 2012
Ok so after digging through the error logs I found something really weird:

The reason it fails is that when the RUU runs adb devices from C:\Program Files\HTC\HTC Sync 3.0\ it outputs the device number + offline. I know this is true since I tested it in a prompt. However, when I run the command from a mini-sdk I have placed somewhere else, it recognizes the device properly ( device number + "device").

Does anyone have an idea what's going on? I've installed HTC Sync but I tried HTC Sync Manager as well earlier, same problem.

enduu

Feb 17, 2012
Error 170 = usb connection error either because a bad cable, drivers installed incorrectly etc. etc... Try a different cable, re-install drivers correctly and use usb 2.0 ports only.

This is the second cable I'm trying, different port, I have no idea how many times I've reinstalled the drivers today lol. I'm using the latest HTC Sync & Driver version

alray

May 22, 2012
This is the second cable I'm trying, different port, I have no idea how many times I've reinstalled the drivers today lol. I'm using the latest HTC Sync & Driver version

Try another computer, another ruu. Make sure the usb cables you are using are not only charging cables. Maybe a defective usb port on the phone.

error 170 is usb connection error, so troubleshoot everything related to this:

1. usb ports
  2. usb cables
  3. usb drivers
  4. phones drivers
  5. RUU
  6. computer
  7. phone usb port

Last edited:

enduu

Feb 17, 2012
Try another computer, another ruu. Make sure the usb cables you are using are not only charging cables. Maybe a defective usb port on the phone.

Well this is the only computer I have access to for the next couple of days, and the only ruu I could find. I am not sure what you mean with the cables though.

Here's the thing, if I replace the adb file from htc sync ( 159kb ) with the one from the mini-sdk ( 800kb) it recognizes the device, and I'm thinking it will probably run the RUU as well. Do I risk messing up something if I do this? This is in regards to http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=54529900&postcount=3 . Thanks.

Last edited:

alray

May 22, 2012
Well this is the only computer I have access to for the next couple of days, and the only ruu I could find. I am not sure what you mean with the cables though.

Some usb cable only have +5v and ground to provide power and charge devices. Data usb cable have 4 connections: +5V, Ground, Data +, Data -.

Here's the thing, if I replace the adb file from htc sync ( 159kb ) with the one from the mini-sdk ( 800kb) it recognizes the device, and I'm thinking it will probably run the RUU as well. Do I risk messing up something if I do this? This is in regards to http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=54529900&postcount=3 . Thanks.

Never keep htc sync installed when you flash things on your phone, only install it for the drivers, then uninstall the program (drivers will not be removed). HTC sync might be the problem here.

Reactions: enduu

enduu

Feb 17, 2012
Some usb cable only have +5v and ground to provide power and charge devices. Data usb cable have 4 connections: +5V, Ground, Data +, Data -.

Never keep htc sync installed when you flash things on your phone, only install it for the drivers, then uninstall the program (drivers will not be removed). HTC sync might be the problem here.

Well I did remove htc sync but after checking the logs I noticed the problem was still the same. For some reason, every time the device failed to be recognized with the adb devices command, what fixed it for me was putting the it in fastboot, weird.

Last edited:

Seanie280672

Feb 27, 2012
Halesowen
Well I did remove htc sync but after checking the logs I noticed the problem was still the same. For some reason, every time the device failed to be recognized with the adb devices command, what fixed it for me was putting the it in fastboot, weird.

device offline when booted into a rom error is either drivers, out of date adb / fastboot, but normally it will tell you if its out of date or finally you don't have usb debugging enabled properly, this also applies to the 170 error, easy way to test if its the usb cable or ports etc is to try fastboot getvar all, if you get a result, then its not cables or ports.

adb commands don't work in the bootloader, only fastboot commands.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.