Do we need a 12 Step program for ROM Flashers?

Search This thread

mfrazzz

Sep 12, 2006
Falcon, Colorado
Ok, maybe this shows the extent that I'm hooked, but I think I'm having "Flashing Withdrawls"...

All day long I've been hoping the new Faria Vanilla WM6 comes out so it would give me a reason to flash a new rom. Since I started flashing new ROMs (only a month or so now if you can believe that) I've been putting new roms on my phone every few days. It started simply with wanting to fix my Radio to get rid of problems I had, and trying out the 2.47 and 2.61 on the stock Cingular ROM. Then I decided to try out CID Unlocking and something called AKU 3.3. My eyes were opened, and the addiction had taken hold... But then I kept reading about the world of WM6, and had to move to that.

Soon I realized that WM6 MBE was the longest to stay on my phone (up until now) being on my phone for almost 5 days (imagine! 5 days on a single rom!!!). NotTooSmart then passed me the "beta" version of his reworking of the mUn ROM last Thursday to try out and I've been on it ever since. The beta actually became production with no changes and is the one that went live, so there was no reason to reflash the ROM. Its been working fantastic (couple of quirks here and there, but all the WM6 stuff have quirks, and most have more than what I've had based on stuff I read here)... So thats 7 days now without doing another flash.

I keep looking at my phone and feel like it needs to be hooked on the USB to my laptop and flashed... I miss seeing the BootLoader screen... I miss the anxiousness of waiting for the bar to hit 100% and the phone reset to a new OS.

I hear the call of new ROMs like X-Plore's that is so tempting to try, but I've told myself I'm holding out. I have something that is working, and I don't need to try it... But it keeps calling... I'll wait for Faria's Vanilla first... Or can I???

I've even started cooking my own splash screens. I've started thinking about dabbling in the "kitchen" to start really "cooking" with Molski's tools.. Then I think about the Molski roms I haven't tried. And there's that Superrom and others (but can I really go back to WM5 now?)

I've even started thinking about pinging coworkers at work that have 8125's to see if they want me to "upgrade" their phones... Pass on the addiction and get them "hooked"...

I have it bad...

Hi, my name is MFrazzz, and I have a problem... I'm a Wizard ROM Flashing junkie...

newbie2

Mar 19, 2006
Ohio Valley
ROFLMAO!!

I'll be the second to join your 12-step club for addicted ROM flashers!! I've now talked a co-worker into buying the 8125 just so I can teach them everything I know and flash their's to the "latest and greatest".

Don't know that we'd be much support for each other trying to kick the habit, or not, though. But, we could sure share some stories and compare notes. . . :D

rkwhyte2

Feb 17, 2006
Atlanta, IN
Hello my name is Kirby and I am addicted to flashing my phone. My wife hates my phone and threatens to take a hammer to it.

Kirby

My name is NotTooSmart,

I am an addict just the same, but I think my addiction goes deeper. Im a chef. And it kills me that I have written an almost perfect rom and I keep breaking out the tools, but cant think of anything to cook on it. I must have dumped the NotTooSmart ROM a hundred times, but never go through with the cooking. I need help!!! Someone asked me to write a WM6 for the apache, so of course Ive tried starting, but my 8125 looks so lonely when I even think about it. I guess I will have to live with this addiction, at least till I get my TyTN or I end up with a brick.

knwlsh

May 25, 2006
Bluffton, SC
If we took those clear plastic adhesive screen savers and just printed screen shots of every new ROM to come along onto them, us addicts could just stick them on our Wizards and feel like we actually have the "newest".

Might call it......The Patch!

fryman

Mar 16, 2007
Monterey, CA
problem?

I think I might have a problem. rkwhyte2 – my wife hates my phone with a passion as well. As we lay in bed at night she asks what am I thinking about and before I can answer she say 'that stupid phone' and gives me an elbow to the gut. Does anyone else lay in bed at night until their spouse falls asleep to sneak off to get another fix and flash a new rom in the wee hours of the morning...or is that just me?!?

rkwhyte2

Feb 17, 2006
Atlanta, IN
I think I might have a problem. rkwhyte2 – my wife hates my phone with a passion as well. As we lay in bed at night she asks what am I thinking about and before I can answer she say 'that stupid phone' and gives me an elbow to the gut. Does anyone else lay in bed at night until their spouse falls asleep to sneak off to get another fix and flash a new rom in the wee hours of the morning...or is that just me?!?

Oh damn...dejavue. I have been down that road several times. The wifes hates the phone and she hates the computer. What am I to do I'm a network administrator and also in charge of the phones. I eat and sleep this stuff and it drives her crazy. Somehow the statement that I was in IT when we got married doesn't mean anything to her anymore.

jwzg

Retired Senior Moderator
Jan 31, 2006
Prattville, AL
Hi I'm Jody and I'm an addict. I just ruptured my Achilles tendon playing basketball (my other passion). My wife is NOT happy. Guess what I will be doing week after next. (chef hat goes on)

ROTFL...among friends of course.

rkwhyte2

Feb 17, 2006
Atlanta, IN
Hi I'm Jody and I'm an addict. I just ruptured my Achilles tendon playing basketball (my other passion). My wife is NOT happy. Guess what I will be doing week after next. (chef hat goes on)

ROTFL...among friends of course.

Ouch that hurts just thinking about it. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Kirby

sids911

Apr 15, 2006

ROFLMAO!!

So glad to see I am not the only one!!! I am a Networks/Computer Security guy and I live,eat and breath computers and now 'that stupid phone' !!! I am going to have my wife read it too so that she may feel good about she not being the only one married to WM addict..... ;-)

I am pretty sure my workplace netadmins are going to block xda-developers.com; one senior employee has gradually reduced productivity because of a device which is supposed to increase productivity!!!

mfrazzz

Sep 12, 2006
Falcon, Colorado
I am pretty sure my workplace netadmins are going to block xda-developers.com; one senior employee has gradually reduced productivity because of a device which is supposed to increase productivity!!!
A few weeks ago when XDA-Developers went offline, I was positive they had blocked it from me at work. I actually panicked a little that they might be coming around to talk to me ;)

Yeah when I first started to write the original post, I was going to say I'm an XDA-Developer.com junkie... But I'm not ready to admit that. I know I can stop anytime. I'm positive. Yeah, thats not a problem... :cool:

demontefixo

Feb 25, 2006
Just don't pause so long while you are kissing her... :D

--M
(Add me to the list... My name is Mark and I am addicted to flashing my phone...)

dcdivenut

Jun 6, 2006
Washington DC
"My name is Josh and I have been addicted to flashing for 8 months now. "
"Hi Josh"
"It all started when I was young kid and my neighbor wanted to play doctor"
Oh (*&^ not that kind of flashing!!!
Anyway, I am definitely addicted to ROM flashing and my girlfriend also hates my phone! She just doesn't understand why I spend so much time on a "stupid thing" that is "just supposed to make phone calls". Ahhh, the ignorance...

If you significant other has ever "been too tired" because you came to bed late after flashing your phone and had to reset everything, raise your hand...

Just me? Come on, I know there are others!

golfernutnflorida

Jan 9, 2007
FLORIDA
www.myspace.com
Raising hand, I have flashed about 30 times since I was introduced to this site. I have flashed every single WM6 rom numerous times and also Wm5, I have unlocked my phone numerous times and flashed the Wizard Love rom about 50 times. I have bricked my phone numerous times and been able to revive each time, I am a Wizard junky!!!! I am so much of a junky I bought my wife a G3 Wizard also. I deserve a medal or something.

:D

"My name is Josh and I have been addicted to flashing for 8 months now. "
"Hi Josh"
"It all started when I was young kid and my neighbor wanted to play doctor"
Oh (*&^ not that kind of flashing!!!
Anyway, I am definitely addicted to ROM flashing and my girlfriend also hates my phone! She just doesn't understand why I spend so much time on a "stupid thing" that is "just supposed to make phone calls". Ahhh, the ignorance...

If you significant other has ever "been too tired" because you came to bed late after flashing your phone and had to reset everything, raise your hand...

Just me? Come on, I know there are others!

bkbroil

Dec 9, 2006
Philadelphia
I tried quitting flashing...but I always go back to what my father taught me....

"Nobody likes a quitter"

I was considering taking a drive to Camden NJ to ask if on the corners if anyone has "a good ROM to flash" ... that's when I knew I have a problem.

Now it's just memories....."ahhh, the glory days of when everyone was flashing."

I'll have to tell my grandchildren someday.. "Yeah, I tried that flashing thing. But don't you try it!"

Ohhhh....I even got my HTC Car charger in the mail today that I submitted the coupon for in December... Normally I would have been excited getting something for free and it being a gadget...but.....

I felt nothiing......I'm dead inside. (If it ain't a new ROM...then forget it)

ughhhhh, I'm bored. :eek:

Last edited:

anichillus

Retired Moderator
Nov 20, 2006
Timisoara
Hi, my name is Iulian and I'm an addict .

I'm doing my best to quit
But this thing is too powerfull.

...yup .... here it comes again ....
gtg and flash some more, it's been 2 hours since last one...and already i'm nervous and I have red eyes

btw, what does ROTFL mean ?

dwny

May 25, 2006
CLT / BKLYN
Hi ... I'm D W N Y ... and I'm a flasher ....
Can't stop, won't stop, can't stop
I don't just flash, I walk around with at least for 4 roms...looking to flash others
Help...or is it toooo late :D