Charge vs. Thunderbolt

Search This thread

chrisrach3

Jan 1, 2012
Don't know if anyone's interested, but here I go:

Bought a Thunderbolt back in April and have had it replaced 7 or 8 times for various reasons. Each replacement, I've also had intermittent issues sending email from my POP3 account.

I demanded a Rezound, but they only gave me a Charge. Here's the comparison:

Speed: Charge wins EASILY. I expect at least 20 on the charge and hope for at least 10 on the Thunderbolt.

Weight: Charge is MUCH lighter. I like that.

Display: Charge wins easily. AMOLED is fantastic.

Screen: Charge. I love the way the screen feels. Much smoother than the Thunderbolt at times.

EVERYTHING ELSE: Thunderbolt. It's "quicker" overall, more responsive, GPS locks in within seconds (Charge took about 5 minutes), phone pad is more user-friendly and didn't require as much reaching from the thumbs, Thunderbolt NEVER freezes (Charge did), no longer randomly reboots (Charge did), camera sends portrait pics right-side-up (Charge doesn't), and I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

I should point out that because of its positives, I really wanted the Charge to work for me. It was a VERY hot chick. But it was not a wise choice. So for functionality, I'm sticking with the Thunderbolt. Just gonna deal with it not sending mail intermittently.

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA App

shahkam

Jan 22, 2011
Canada
How can you say thunderbolt is faster if you say that in terms of speed charge is better ??

Sent from my X10i using xda premium

blarrick

Jun 26, 2011
North Hollywood
Just put Tweakstock on with the V6 Supercharger and Voodoo Screen Tuning. You won't go back to the TB and its ****ty battery life. Plus, with Imnuts' new PBJ kernel we can finally overclock and undervolt for maximum performance and battery life. Loving this phone again :]

chrisrach3

Jan 1, 2012
Tweakstock? V6? Voodoo? I assume all of that requires rooting, right? Sorry. I'm too chicken to root. :)

Sent from my SCH-I510 using XDA App

adrenaline_rush

Mar 31, 2011
Spokane Wa
Rooting is the only way to go for the best possible experience.

I had a Thunderbolt, Revolution, and Charge so I have experienced all of them and will have to give it to the Charge as the best overall.

Thunderbolt was the only Android phone I had fail on me after 3 months of use. It also is considered a dud, with countless complaints from reboots, to radio issues, and so on.

It has a worse GPU/processor

Hardware buttons are TERRIBLE. They are mushy and flush, which doesn't sound like a big deal, but to me it's very annoying every time I use the phone

No hot-swappable SIM/SD

Less battery capacity 1400 vs 1600 and also by far the worst battery life of the three.

Hardware keys>capacitive keys

Thunderbolt does feel better in hand and I like the design.. I also am envious at the development/ROMs the Thunderbolt has, such as MIUI...

anoninja118

Mar 31, 2011
L.A.
the only thing I'm jealous of the Thunderbolt for is the notification LED... I like everything else on the Charge (except the damn data drop which still happens occasionally for me :rolleyes: ), and am content with the amount of dev work we have though admittedly little

Reactions: ms0chez

71CH

Jan 29, 2009
Just put Tweakstock on with the V6 Supercharger and Voodoo Screen Tuning. You won't go back to the TB and its ****ty battery life. Plus, with Imnuts' new PBJ kernel we can finally overclock and undervolt for maximum performance and battery life. Loving this phone again :]

How do you overclock and undervolt?

blarrick

Jun 26, 2011
North Hollywood
Yeah, yeah...so will the gps and responsiveness improve if I root?

Yes, if you root and download "FasterFix" your GPS will be much better. Although, it doesn't work for some people so you might need to edit a file in your /system. Either way your GPS will be much better. Rooting is insanely easy, you plug your phone into the computer, run a program, reboot, install a file and bam, you're rooted. Just check out some of the guides in Development. Also, don't feel chicken to root, we have the files needed to completely fix a bricked phone(unless you happen to brick it while messing with Voodoo Lagfix, which with our current ROM/kernel choices is almost impossible, and even then it can be fixed 99% of the time).

How do you overclock and undervolt?

Install Imnuts' new PBJ kernel(its posted on Rootz) in CWM, then install Voltage Control and mess with your voltages/CPU clocks to your hearts content, although I warn you, never go over 1.4GHz or you run the risk of frying your CPU since anything over 1.4 heavily overvolts which is a very big no-no.

chrisrach3

Jan 1, 2012
That's helpful...thanks for the advice. I've never rooted before, but that's quelled some of my concerns. I should mention that I'm getting some INSANE download speeds here in Kansas City...usually north of 23 and up to 49. It's great. I'm having issues with losing data connectivity (altogether) which requires a reboot. Other than that, I think my phone is getting used to me and adjusting accordingly. :)

kvswim

Mar 25, 2011
Fort Worth, TX
That's helpful...thanks for the advice. I've never rooted before, but that's quelled some of my concerns. I should mention that I'm getting some INSANE download speeds here in Kansas City...usually north of 23 and up to 49. It's great. I'm having issues with losing data connectivity (altogether) which requires a reboot. Other than that, I think my phone is getting used to me and adjusting accordingly. :)

You should try toggling airplane mode when data drops.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using xda premium

chrisrach3

Jan 1, 2012
Yeah, I've tried that, too. Sometimes it works but usually it doesn't.

bkhorn

Oct 9, 2007
Easton, PA
I lose 3G data for days and I am on my 3rd phone. The last replacement lasted 2 hours before the data dropped for 10 hours.

xdadevnube

Jun 28, 2011
It's weird, I think some Charges have data issues possibly due to quality control the either the 3G or 4G basebands or both, whereas other Charges don't have issues.
I can personally attest to having a reliable charge, although I rarely go to a 4G area.

anoninja118

Mar 31, 2011
L.A.
I live in a solid 4G area but still the data droppage on mine is horrendous, problem is that its not reproducible in store because of their signal boosters so no go on a replacement (I don't like dealing with the reps on the phone either, most don't know what they're doing and I don't wanna call 50 times just to get a good one lol)

I'm saving up for a Nexus or I might wait for the next HTC superphone, either way I like my Charge a lot but the data issue on mine is a deal breaker otherwise I'd stick with it till my upgrade

hazard209

Jul 29, 2011
I live in a solid 4G area but still the data droppage on mine is horrendous, problem is that its not reproducible in store because of their signal boosters so no go on a replacement (I don't like dealing with the reps on the phone either, most don't know what they're doing and I don't wanna call 50 times just to get a good one lol)

I'm saving up for a Nexus or I might wait for the next HTC superphone, either way I like my Charge a lot but the data issue on mine is a deal breaker otherwise I'd stick with it till my upgrade

Unfortunately I heard that it's not just a Charge issue, but a Samsung issue. Just from reading online articles it seems that the Nexus has the same issue. At lease it did with 4.0.2. I dunno about 4.0.3.

piizzadude

Feb 26, 2011
Harrisburg
It is a Sammy issue. A lot of people came from the fascinate to the charge for just that issue.

We had 2 fascinates in the house bought at the same time. Mine dropped once in awhile the other was solid. I got the charge as a replacement and it has been very solid. My wife has a stratosphere and she loses data once in awhile but a quick airplane toggle restores it. It is a weird issue and must be in quality control, though the fascinates issue was resolved with a software patch eventually

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Tweakstock? V6? Voodoo? I assume all of that requires rooting, right? Sorry. I'm too chicken to root. :)

Son, do you realize where you are?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using xda premium
    the only thing I'm jealous of the Thunderbolt for is the notification LED... I like everything else on the Charge (except the damn data drop which still happens occasionally for me :rolleyes: ), and am content with the amount of dev work we have though admittedly little
    My work phone was a Thunderbolt, and after a mishap I had to do a insurance replacement. The Thunderbolt was no longer in stock so I got the Charge. While I've only had it a couple of days I can say it is a lot better than my Thunderbolt.

For me the battery life is the most important and is much better than the TB. Data seems to be ok but I live on the fringe of 4G area and it switches back and fourth from 3G to 4G but I will test it out better over time.

By the way I also have a Nexus running 4.04 and it has the same data drop problems. The WiFi speeds on the Nexus suck and I have replaced it twice but still have the same problems. It just won't handle fast WiFi download speeds, where my other devices in the house pull 30 Mbps the Nexus struggles to get 12 Mbps.