C80 Pics/Differences

Search This thread

SPreston2001

Oct 31, 2009
Columbus
I stopped in my local Gamestop yesterday to pickup Madden 13 and ended up leaving with a Nexus 7 too lol. Ill be giving this one to my gf but I just wanted to post a few pics of some things that may be slightly different about the C80 production runs. I didnt do a complete teardown of the unit so I cant say if any changes have been made to combat the over exaggerated screen lift stuff but I have noticed a few small changes. I honestly dont think anything has really changed in terms of manufacturing but these units had just came in yesterday morning so im assuming it was a fresh batch.

First up is the box. Im not sure when they made this change but my C70 didnt have the notches on the box for easy opening. I remember kinda having a hard time separating the box when I first got my C70.

IMAG1564.jpg

Second thing I noticed was the C80 units have a few screws missing. Im not sure if this is something they just started doing, but I exchanged three C80 units at Gamestop yesterday because me and the manager thought it was a flaw but all 3 random units had the two missing screws.

IMAG1567.jpg

Here are a few shots of the back cover and unit. Im not sure if anything is different but maybe someone whos more familiar with the insides may notice something.

IMAG1565.jpg

IMAG1566.jpg

I did noticed the serial # on the rear sticker is now printed in white as opposed to black:

IMAG1568-picsay.jpg

Last edited:

ThirtyHz

Aug 28, 2012
My C80 should be at my doorstep within a couple hours. Having accidentally cracked the screen on my C60 while trying to fix the screen lift, I hope this is is void of issues.

JaSauders

Aug 10, 2011
My C80 should be at my doorstep within a couple hours. Having accidentally cracked the screen on my C60 while trying to fix the screen lift, I hope this is is void of issues.

Nice! Please keep us updated on your C80 findings. My C60 cracked randomly the other day (sent an email from it, walked to my car, looked down, cracked) and I sent it in to ASUS. Part of me wonders if the C80's are fixed enough to prevent this from happening to anybody else.

ThirtyHz

Aug 28, 2012
Nice! Please keep us updated on your C80 findings. My C60 cracked randomly the other day (sent an email from it, walked to my car, looked down, cracked) and I sent it in to ASUS. Part of me wonders if the C80's are fixed enough to prevent this from happening to anybody else.
Yeah man, for sure. First thing I do after opening it will be sharing what I find with everyone. And I can 100% sympathize with a cracked screen haha, its an awful feeling that you have to eat the $200-250 and get a new one :/

nineuni

Mar 27, 2008
Hi!!!

Sorry my english is so bad...
I have just opened my tablet, it is the C80 version too. And there are missing the same screws as in your tablet.

SPreston2001

Oct 31, 2009
Columbus
Hi!!!

Sorry my english is so bad...
I have just opened my tablet, it is the C80 version too. And there are missing the same screws as in your tablet.

Sweet! So I guess this was something done on purpose. I'll see if I can get a official word from Asus regarding this. It would be kinda funny if all the people returning earlier built tablets because of missing screws found out it was done like that intentionally lol.

Last edited:

swidnik0

Jun 19, 2009
Łódź
I also have removed those screws on my C6O. The screen is not lifted now, and when i put pressure on the opposite corners of tablet, i don`t hear crackling.
I hope it will be pernament fix of this problem.

ThirtyHz

Aug 28, 2012
Alright, so I just got mine in the mail (my second purchase) and I was VERY disappointed at first. I received a C60...... WTF? So I open it up and the screen is flush, not lower than bezel, flush.... all around. ZERO screen flicker, ZERO light bleed, very responsive, colors are correct, no dead pixels, speakers work, some ghosting on max brightness, but that is to be expected of IPS screens. Now I need to get it super hot and see if the screen stays. If there is anything I missed I will post it. Oh, and it also looks like my box had been re-used because there was a second layer of tape on the black box. Was mine refurbished? Who cares, so far so good.

Last edited:

espionage724

Feb 8, 2010
wiki.realmofespionage.xyz
OnePlus 6
Alright, so I just got mine in the mail (my second purchase) and I was VERY disappointed at first. I received a C60...... WTF? So I open it up and the screen is flush, not lower than bezel, flush.... all around. ZERO screen flicker, ZERO light bleed, very responsive, colors are correct, no dead pixels, speakers work, some ghosting on max brightness, but that is to be expected of IPS screens. Now I need to get it super hot and see if the screen stays. One big thing to note is, my back cover doesn't come off. It is almost as if it is glued down. If there is anything I missed I will post it. Oh, and it also looks like my box had been re-used because there was a second layer of tape on the black box. Was mine refurbished? Who cares, so far so good.

Not sure how easy your back was to get off on your last unit, but with mine, I had to use quite a bit of effort on my C70 (fingernail + credit card + force)

neotekz

Oct 7, 2007
Ottawa
can someone with a c08 model take a better pic of the back cover off? theres two clips on the left side that goes over where the screen data ribbon is and just wanted to know if they change those at all. this point is where a lot of people get screen lift.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I stopped in my local Gamestop yesterday to pickup Madden 13 and ended up leaving with a Nexus 7 too lol. Ill be giving this one to my gf but I just wanted to post a few pics of some things that may be slightly different about the C80 production runs. I didnt do a complete teardown of the unit so I cant say if any changes have been made to combat the over exaggerated screen lift stuff but I have noticed a few small changes. I honestly dont think anything has really changed in terms of manufacturing but these units had just came in yesterday morning so im assuming it was a fresh batch.

First up is the box. Im not sure when they made this change but my C70 didnt have the notches on the box for easy opening. I remember kinda having a hard time separating the box when I first got my C70.

IMAG1564.jpg

Second thing I noticed was the C80 units have a few screws missing. Im not sure if this is something they just started doing, but I exchanged three C80 units at Gamestop yesterday because me and the manager thought it was a flaw but all 3 random units had the two missing screws.

IMAG1567.jpg

Here are a few shots of the back cover and unit. Im not sure if anything is different but maybe someone whos more familiar with the insides may notice something.

IMAG1565.jpg

IMAG1566.jpg

I did noticed the serial # on the rear sticker is now printed in white as opposed to black:

IMAG1568-picsay.jpg
    I just found a Nexus 7 review where they say it has a beautiful build and do not mention any of the issues discussed her.

http://www.tabletpcreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3417&review=google+nexus+7+android+jelly+bean+play

The funny thing is they have a picture with a close shot of the screen from and angle and you can see the screen lift very well. :(

16684.jpg
    can someone with a c08 model take a better pic of the back cover off? theres two clips on the left side that goes over where the screen data ribbon is and just wanted to know if they change those at all. this point is where a lot of people get screen lift.
    That's also where the adhesive ledge under the display is at its narrowest. The clips being in the same area is probably just a coincidence.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=29194958#post29194958

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1853154
    i know about that post but looking at the pics of the back cover in the first post on this thread it looks like those clips(more like flaps) are gone, but i cant tell for sure with that pics since its not very clear.

this is the clip im talking about, its 1cm above the copper tape on the back cover.

Looks like those clips/flaps are still present.

IMAG0044.jpg
    ÜBER™ said:
    Well just tried to get the last available nexus 7 in my area. And it was a C8OK and it had the screen lifting as well. That's my third nexus 7 the issue... must have a bad batch here. Starting to think its not even worth getting now.
    That's a shame.

Reading all this thread makes me worried, I will return my n7 after I get it
    There are flush screens out there. I've made sure of that.

And the risk of your screen cracking is probably very low. The vast majority of Nexus 7s have some amount of lift, and enough time has gone by that word would have gotten out if this were statistically likely to happen. For example, I have yet to find a user whose screen cracked during normal use talking about the Play store warranty. It can't be happening all that often if I haven't found a Play store customer whose screen has cracked.

This decision of whether or not to live with it would be much easier to make if we knew Google's policy on the matter. Erica_renee got hers from the Play store, but that one cracked right out of the box, so they might have made an exception in her case. It's still worth noting that Google sent her another one straight away. ASUS would not have done that.

The Play store warranty is at least a possible safety net. And if the risk of display failure is very low, for those customers it's probably a risk worth taking.