The 2014 LG - V400 & V700 Tablets Are In The Pipeline.. Opinions?

Search This thread

RaiderWill

Jul 11, 2011
NEW ROMULUS
Well...
Looks Like our family is expecting 2 new members.. :cool:
The 2014 LG - V400 & V700 as of this writing are passing through the FCC.. I could be dead wrong but the V400 sounds like a 7" tablet and the V700 possibly a 10 - 12" device.
How do you feel about adding or upgrading to one of these units? has the V500/V510 been pretty much what you expected? Or maybe a better question would be.. Has LG met your expectations to a level that you would consider purchasing an LG tablet again? I would say it's a given that the V700 will be packing the Snapdragon 801/805 3gigs of Ram and possibly that 2K display that's coming on the LG-G3.. is that enough muscle to tempt you to upgrade from the V500?

Tachikoma_kun

Jan 16, 2009
Wales
While I have only had it a week, I am suitably impressed enough with the Gpad 8.3 to choose LG over Samsung for my next phone/tablet purchase.

Planterz

Feb 28, 2014
Tucson, AZ
With all the recent deeply discounted sales, and the discontinuation at Best Buy, it's quite possible that one of these new tablets is an 8.3 upgrade. If that's the case, I'm only semi-interested. A reboot will cost $350 (or more?) again, and I'm very happy with my 8.3. After all, I don't use it for anything I feel it's lacking in right now. Graphically-intense games (Asphalt 8, Soulcalibur), work fine, videos look great (and a 4K screen would be wasted), and browsing and ebooks don't exactly require a powerhouse. An 801 or 805 Snapdragon powered 8.3 with 3gb of RAM and a quadHD screen would be cool and all, but I don't need that.

Reactions: Stu C

Subtleone

Jul 10, 2011
Rio de Janeiro
Well...
Looks Like our family is expecting 2 new members.. :cool:
The 2014 LG - V400 & V700 as of this writing are passing through the FCC.. I could be dead wrong but the V400 sounds like a 7" tablet and the V700 possibly a 10 - 12" device.
How do you feel about adding or upgrading to one of these units? has the V500/V510 been pretty much what you expected? Or maybe a better question would be.. Has LG met your expectations to a level that you would consider purchasing an LG tablet again? I would say it's a given that the V700 will be packing the Snapdragon 801/805 3gigs of Ram and possibly that 2K display that's coming on the LG-G3.. is that enough muscle to tempt you to upgrade from the V500?

I already know from experience that 7 is on the small end for me, and since reading is a big factor for me, 10 inches would be too big. Right now, this is the perfect form factor for me. I might consider a 10-incher for more online reading/browsing I suppose, but only as a complement, not a replacement. To be clear, I do not consider a different size as an upgrade no matter what the performance improvements.

I thoroughly love this tablet, so yes, i would gladly buy LG again, and certainly recommend it. I think there is nothing close to it in terms of price/performance right now. The only think I might really wish for is greater battery life, or a brighter screen for sunlight use, but even then, it is not a deal breaker.

NJ_RAMS_FAN

Sep 28, 2011
North Bergen, NJ
While I have only had it a week, I am suitably impressed enough with the Gpad 8.3 to choose LG over Samsung for my next phone/tablet purchase.

same here. I was an original LG G2x owner that everybody knows what a freaking mess that was. The worst phone I ever owned. So i stayed away from LG. But then I decided to buy LG pad and love it so far. waiting to see what LG g3 will look like.

chong67

Sep 2, 2007
Atlanta
NO wonder it has been on a fire sale for $230 this past week. My Pad is coming next week. 7" is too small and 10" or more is too big. 8" is perfect.

SCWells72

Feb 12, 2011
NO wonder it has been on a fire sale for $230 this past week. My Pad is coming next week. 7" is too small and 10" or more is too big. 8" is perfect.

Until there's a rock solid ~8.9" offering, ideally a Nexus or GPE, I'll stick with my G Pad GPE (daily driver) and my Nook HD+ (really only used as a comic reader now). I'm hoping the rumors of a Nexus 8.9 later this year are true and that the price is right.

Last edited:

sleekmason

Dec 22, 2013
Fayetteville
sleekmason.wordpress.com
As for the V510, there is no reason to change/upgrade. The screen size is perfect, and everything is damn near instantaneous in opening and response. The kernel needed some tweaking, and there are still a few items missing, but not enough to warrant bothering with it. I'm guessing at this point I will keep this tablet until the screen on a new one allows full sun reading and a foldable device that weighs considerably less. Anything else is just fluff.
Funny that I may not have too long to wait.

RaiderWill

Jul 11, 2011
NEW ROMULUS

I think most will agree.. 8 inches is the *Goldie Locks* Sweet Spot for tablet size..
But.. I also think the allure of a Higher Res Screen 1920 x 1080 to 2560 x 1600 (2K Resolution) and a jump from 1.7 GHz to 2.5GHz and the promise of Key-Lime Pie 4.5/5.0 out of the box or with a swift update this fall, will be enough to change a lot of our minds.. :cool:

By then, the pressure of the Nexus-8 and maybe even an updated Galaxy Note 8.4 will have a lot of us re-thinking how we feel at this moment..

Subtleone

Jul 10, 2011
Rio de Janeiro
I think most will agree.. 8 inches is the *Goldie Locks* Sweet Spot for tablet size..
But.. I also think the allure of a Higher Res Screen 1920 x 1080 to 2560 x 1600 (2K Resolution) and a jump from 1.7 GHz to 2.5GHz and the promise of Key-Lime Pie 4.5/5.0 out of the box or with a swift update this fall, will be enough to change a lot of our minds.. :cool:

By then, the pressure of the Nexus-8 and maybe even an updated Galaxy Note 8.4 will have a lot of us re-thinking how we feel at this moment..

Nexus 8 is still just a rumor, and the updated Galaxy Note is low res, so no chance. As to the Tab Pro specs, here's the thing: I paid $213 for the G Pad and am very happy with it. The Tab Pro is nice, but aside from some incremental improvements (the G Pad already has a Retina display as per Apple's own definition), things like the pen, or improved camera are of no interest to me. Truly NONE.

I am not a graphic artist, and I barely do any handwriting nowadays, though I write for a living. As to the rear camera, I have never even used it once, since my go-to camera is my LG G2, and for more serious pictures, I have more serious equipment. The front camera is more than good enough for video Skyping.

So do I think the faster CPU, and higher resolution screen are worth an extra $150? Nope.

RaiderWill

Jul 11, 2011
NEW ROMULUS
Nexus 8 is still just a rumor, and the updated Galaxy Note is low res, so no chance. As to the Tab Pro specs, here's the thing: I paid $213 for the G Pad and am very happy with it. things like the pen, or improved camera are of no interest to me. Truly NONE.
I am not a graphic artist, and I barely do any handwriting nowadays, though I write for a living. As to the rear camera, I have never even used it once, since my go-to camera is my LG G2, and for more serious pictures, I have more serious equipment. The front camera is more than good enough for video Skyping.

So do I think the faster CPU, and higher resolution screen are worth an extra $150? Nope.
You sound like a *Happy Owner* of the V500... :cool:

And for a purchase price of $213.00 Brand New.. You got a Great Deal.

As for as this "Low-Res" 2014 Samsung Galaxy Note 8.4 you are referring to... I can find no such device.. :cool:
Correct Me if I'm wrong.. but it sounds like.. you thought I was referring to the Samsung Galaxy "Pro Tab 8.4".. I was not.
But I do agree.. the Pro Tab 8.4's price of $399.00 is too high.. just like the G-Pad at $349.00 on launch was too high. :cool:

Subtleone

Jul 10, 2011
Rio de Janeiro
You sound like a *Happy Owner* of the V500... :cool:

And for a purchase price of $213.00 Brand New.. You got a Great Deal.

As for as this "Low-Res" 2014 Samsung Galaxy Note 8.4 you are referring to... I can find no such device.. :cool:
Correct Me if I'm wrong.. but it sounds like.. you thought I was referring to the Samsung Galaxy "Pro Tab 8.4".. I was not.
But I do agree.. the Pro Tab 8.4's price of $399.00 is too high.. just like the G-Pad at $349.00 on launch was too high. :cool:

Right, I confused the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 that is coming out.

RaiderWill

Jul 11, 2011
NEW ROMULUS
Right, I confused the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 that is coming out.

Got Cha.. :cool:
It looks like Samsung is going to have 3 distinctive lines... Tab Series.. Tab Pro Series.. and the Note Series of tablets..
I'm sure there will be an updated Note 8.0 version at some point in 2014.. given how popular the 2012 Note 8.0 was there is bound to be an updated version.

But I have to admit.. if that V700 is indeed a 10" slate with full 2K resolution, Snapdragon 801/805 @ 2.5 or > and priced @ $449 - $499.99 and has a sleek bezel design.. it's going to be tempting to me..:cool:

nightanole

Mar 4, 2012
Look Their should be only 2 tablets in this world for any manufacture, one you can hold in 1 hand and another model that needs 2 hands. Anything else is just noise and will be discontinued. Why samsung has like 12 models in the $250-500 range ill never know.

My wish list for the next gpad is same rez, brighter/better screen, a portrait/landscape kickstand, and a back not made of butter.

Subtleone

Jul 10, 2011
Rio de Janeiro
Look Their should be only 2 tablets in this world for any manufacture, one you can hold in 1 hand and another model that needs 2 hands. Anything else is just noise and will be discontinued. Why samsung has like 12 models in the $250-500 range ill never know.

My wish list for the next gpad is same rez, brighter/better screen, a portrait/landscape kickstand, and a back not made of butter.

Back made of butter? As to kickstand, a case is your friend. Not sure about portrait, but mine supports landscape just fine.

If Samsung has that many models, then clearly they have a market for them, so bully for them. It is funny that they do not have any that can compete with the LG in price/performance (current price $200-250 of course).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    7" is too small and 10" or more is too big. 8" is perfect.

Said the actress to the bishop...
    With all the recent deeply discounted sales, and the discontinuation at Best Buy, it's quite possible that one of these new tablets is an 8.3 upgrade. If that's the case, I'm only semi-interested. A reboot will cost $350 (or more?) again, and I'm very happy with my 8.3. After all, I don't use it for anything I feel it's lacking in right now. Graphically-intense games (Asphalt 8, Soulcalibur), work fine, videos look great (and a 4K screen would be wasted), and browsing and ebooks don't exactly require a powerhouse. An 801 or 805 Snapdragon powered 8.3 with 3gb of RAM and a quadHD screen would be cool and all, but I don't need that.
    Ok, so I've bought the LG GPad 7 v400.... How do I root it and flash a custom recovery?
    Go the the lg g pad 10.1 forum... More people there with the 7.0 lg g pad

There is root (via stumproot(?))

No boot loader unlock possible right now , so no custom ROM/kernel/recovery