Windows on Advent Vega

Search This thread

yioti

Jan 13, 2011
Hello im new to android i have a advent vega but will love it to have some sort of windows on it if anyone has any ideas or if this is possible please post thanks

CalumD

Dec 3, 2010
Apparently the next version of Windows will be able to run on ARM processors such as the Tegra 2 in the Vega. I doubt it'll end up on the Vega, though someone might port it over.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

yioti

Jan 13, 2011
If we do get windows on vega, would be able to install windows software such as skype,msn etc i probaly guess so but please correct if im wrong

O_G

Retired Senior Moderator / Retired ET Admin
Jul 8, 2007
I would be very surprised if windows will ever come to our vegas. Memory i would say is the main issue, xp would be the only one able to run with 512mb of ram, and that has poor touch screen support. I am running windows 7 with 1gb of ram (min system req) on my laptop, and it runs very slow. As far as i am aware even the netbook version needs 1gb. Be happy with android.

yioti

Jan 13, 2011
I wasn't really talking about windows 7 (although i would like that) but windows CE or windows mobile.

PS . As I said I only want it for the software.

orlok

Jul 20, 2006
Agreed, winmob on the vega prob wont occour.

I too, miss some great apps and games which doubtfully will ever appear on andriod. The android gaming community, seems a little shallower than the wince lot.

I stll keep my htc touch and diamnd 2 specifically because of this.

Rgds

F

os_man

Sep 30, 2005
istanbul
www.androidbrick.com
android

i think if we can get android 3.0 (or whatever the numbers will be) on our vega's, its more then enough to have enough fun with it, an operating system that does not thing its a smartphone and optimized for tablets. i used many android smartphones before, but using even 2.2 on vega is more fun then any smartphone i think, at least you can read web sites and not harm your eyes :)
PS : i have a joojoo tablet too, which runs win7 and i think android is better and faster on a tablet like vega ( tegra2 tabets).

Xiodor

Feb 14, 2011
Some of the cheap import tablets like the Zenithink ZT-180 have roms for WinCE - but from what I have read nobody really uses them since even WinCE is pretty poor as a tablet OS (well, that and the ZT-180 is pretty rubbish!).

mattbed

Feb 26, 2011
as a student you can get the windows embedded 7 development kit for free, that should be able to run on the advent vega but my knowledge isnt yet sufficient to build and deploy a rom in order t test it :(

Budius

May 1, 2010
I honestly don't understand this kind of question:

You have Windows a system built for PCs and to be operated specific using keyboard and mouse.
And then you have Android a system built for mobile devices to be operated specific with a touch screen.
I guess the question is not IF it's possible, but WHY in a hell would anyone even bother porting it?

Do you miss msn and skype? I got news for you, just download Skype and eBuddy from the market. Solved!

kuwlij

Aug 16, 2009
I honestly don't understand this kind of question:

You have Windows a system built for PCs and to be operated specific using keyboard and mouse.
And then you have Android a system built for mobile devices to be operated specific with a touch screen.
I guess the question is not IF it's possible, but WHY in a hell would anyone even bother porting it?

Do you miss msn and skype? I got news for you, just download Skype and eBuddy from the market. Solved!
What about office tools? i have yet to find a decent word processor that retains all (or most) of word's features.

sadly, while gdocs looks lovely, writing documents is still a pain..

yani2000

Jul 23, 2010
Although I also wish that I could do some serious work on my tablet / smartphone, you simply can not do it (too small screen => primarily wasn't meant for this kind of job, but it's great in mobility and therefore "valuable information on the go").
Tablets & smartphones are used to consume / present information and PCs / workstations are used to generate that information.
I have also tried all kind of Office software (QuickOffice HD, Polaris Office, Docs To Go, GDocs,...), but reality is that generating information on Android is 30-50% slower than on a 20" monitor with keyboard & mouse hooked on a PC.
Yes, you could make a new office software on Android that would need a keyboard, mouse & external monitor, but that would defeat the purpose of mobility.
And sadly there is no such good software on Android with so many funtionalities that are found in Microsoft Office.
IMHO you can do up to 30 minutes of work without problems, for anything above that, please do yourself a favor and use a PC.

stokesyblack

Feb 8, 2012
This something that may interest you. Only on ipad as of now, but I am sure will be on android soon.

Stokesy

Edit OK can't post a link... search windows thin client via on live.

yani2000

Jul 23, 2010
This something that may interest you. Only on ipad as of now, but I am sure will be on android soon.

Stokesy

Edit OK can't post a link... search windows thin client via on live.
And that time is NOW! :D
OnLive Desktop is now available on Android:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.onlive.desktop
For free registration and more info, check my above post!
I would like to hear your thoughts on this software!
EDIT: It appears the download is US only.
Here is a link to APK file.

Last edited:

stokesyblack

Feb 8, 2012
Yani, its a good app, have you tried? I will use this all the time when I use my Vega during work. I find the windows apps quite poor on Android (I uses docs to go). This is great for reading and creating basic files. There are a few problems I have found so far.

1. The UI is not really designed for touch screen, I used with my docking station, keyboard and mouse but still was hard to click on the right part due to the alignment being off slightly on the mouse pointer.
2. Docs saved to the virtual desktop can be downloaded from a site called files.onlive.com. However when you try to access this site it says 'only available in USA'. So might be a nightmare to get off what you have created.

What do you think?

Stokesy

Sent from my Vega using Tapatalk

yani2000

Jul 23, 2010
Yani, its a good app, have you tried? I will use this all the time when I use my Vega during work. I find the windows apps quite poor on Android (I uses docs to go). This is great for reading and creating basic files. There are a few problems I have found so far.

1. The UI is not really designed for touch screen, I used with my docking station, keyboard and mouse but still was hard to click on the right part due to the alignment being off slightly on the mouse pointer.
2. Docs saved to the virtual desktop can be downloaded from a site called files.onlive.com. However when you try to access this site it says 'only available in USA'. So might be a nightmare to get off what you have created.

What do you think?

Stokesy

Sent from my Vega using Tapatalk
Sorry, but I haven't used this myself.
If you read my signature, I'm still on stock Froyo and this app needs at least Gingerbread. :(
I've read only good things about this.
I use QuickOffice for documents, but I only view documents, and these android office apps aren't even good at that! :(
But I've tried OnLive (for gaming) on SGS and it's amazing!!!!111one :D
Now to get some answers for your questions:
1. I think you need to restart your OnLive desktop in order to fully accept your mouse&keyboard input.
2. I went to https://desktop.onlive.com/account/myfiles and uploaded a doc file and then redownloaded it without a problem. I'm from Slovenia - EU and I've used Firefox on a PC with Ubuntu/Linux OS.

mater8

Feb 8, 2010
hi lats how to install im write my email address and nothing why sombody help mi?thanks