[Script] Safe bloat removal script (50+ apps) [UPDATED 9/1/2011]

Search This thread

wootizzle

Aug 28, 2011
Washington, DC
Script doesn't work, lol.. gave script. Manager root access. I select the things to keep n to go. Once I run it says no permissions I believe and reboots. I thought it worked at first cuz city id was disabled (which I wouldn't disable cuz I pay for) but I don't believe its worked for me.
What's your problem, exactly?

Sent from my DROID3 using XDA App

wuwtk

Mar 27, 2009
I just wanted to thank psouza4 for all of this awesome work and easy utilities. My Droid 3 is a much better phone than it was a few weeks ago.

colbyb25

Feb 26, 2011
How much faster does the D3 run after removing all of this?

Sent from my Xoom using XDA App

NyghtGT

Aug 25, 2010
Augusta
www.munkibizness.com
I've never really been sold on the stock launchers, especially coming from the Sense
drained Evo, the only way to make my phone tolerable with the stock battery was
to use a kernel that implemented the SBC mod.

IMHO, you can achieve similar aesthetic results without raping your battery using
other launchers, widgets, etc...i'm bout to post some screens of the setup I ran
all day, and the usage statistics, as soon as I find a decent screen capture app.

3.png
1.png
2.png

4.png
5.png

Last edited:

magicelf

Apr 30, 2010
I installed the script and kept the motoblur home, but the Calendar app still disappeared. Can you add that to optional too?

jab476

Oct 7, 2010
Philadelphia
stuck on eye now

I went straight from the one click root to running this script. I ran the one that matched my build number. No after rebooting, it just sits on the turning red eye forever... PLEASE HELP!!!!! WHAT DO I DO!

psouza4

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 26, 2009
Meridian, ID
www.PeterSouza.com
I went straight from the one click root to running this script. I ran the one that matched my build number. No after rebooting, it just sits on the turning red eye forever... PLEASE HELP!!!!! WHAT DO I DO!
Will need you to connect ADB (use boot menu BP Tools by holding down M+Power on a fresh boot up). You can find out what went wrong and/or restore stuff this way. There's a whole entire thread dedicated to this.

Reactions: Wolfhere

Trigonous

Jul 23, 2011
Anyone experiencing an issue where the phone always thinks it's charging even when unplugged? The battery meter goes down as normal, but my circle battery widget and the notification bar state it is still plugged in and charging. I do not believe this happened with the original script, just the update. The only changes I made were to unfreeze the calendar.

Edit: To clarify, the original release (without a version number) did nor cause this issue, the one with a version number (matching my phone) did.

Sent from my DROID3

Last edited:

volcanomike

Apr 29, 2010
Something with the built in text messaging causes picture messages to not be received when disabled with your script

Sent from my DROID3 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There's been a lot of speculation on what can and can't be removed as well as how to remove them without causing force-closes, boot loops, and other headaches. So I wrote this script that will let you disable all of the bloat with none of the hassle.

After a few prompts to find out if there's anything you want to keep that can't be replaced in the market, it will do its magic -- renaming files to a .bak extension so they are no longer recognized by Android. This will cause some system services to fail and force-close loop until you reboot (and the script reboots for you). Also included is a script that will undo all of this.

If you select every option, including the default launcher and text messaging apps (which are confirmed safe to remove without losing SMS or MMS ability or push notifications), then here's the list of apps removed:

AdService.apk, android-syncservice-app.apk, ArcVideoEditorLite.apk, BackupAssistanceClient.apk, Blockbuster.apk, BlurHome2.apk, BlurSNMessagingEngine.apk, BlurTasks.apk, BlurUpdater_VZW.apk, BooksPhone.apk, CitrixReceiver.apk, CityID.apk, Conversations.apk, DLNA.apk, DlnaSystemService.apk, FriendFeed.apk, gotomeeting-stub-1.0.74.apk, GuidedTours.apk, HelpCenter.apk, IMPresence.apk, IndexingService.apk, Kindle.apk, MessagesWidget.apk, Messaging.apk, MOTOPRINT.apk, MSExchangeService.apk, MyVerizon.apk, NewBayVault_4.2.99.36.Market.apk, NFLMobile.apk, OnlineAlbum.apk, PhotoEditor.apk, PortalStandAlone.apk, Preloaded.apk, RichLocationVzW.apk, SkypeBourbon.apk, Slackerradio.apk, SocialMessaging.apk, SocialShare.apk, StatusWidget.apk, SuggestionsProvider.apk, SuggestionsRuleCheckerCore.apk, SuggestionsServiceScheduler.apk, Swype.apk, ToggleWidgets.apk, UniversalInbox.apk, Upgrader.apk, VCAST_TONES_4_5_7.apk, VCASTMusic.apk, VCASTVideo.apk, VSuiteApp.apk, vzw_vnav_DROID3_rel_PROD_signed.apk, VZWIM.apk, VZWInstaller.apk, WeatherWidget.apk, ZumoCast_1.0.17.apk

Make sure you run these scripts using Script Manager or a comparable app and be sure to enable it to run as root or it won't have permission to make changes to /system/app.

This is version 1 of the scripts -- if any of the apps removed wind up causing problems or more are found, I'll add it to the list. I've tested the scripts back and forth myself and have tested it as much as I can without finding any issues. Also, some apps are removed without asking, such as ZumoCast or VCAST or NFL Mobile. You can find these apps in the market, so there's no point keeping them locked down in system.

Enjoy! Comments are welcome.

UPDATE 9/1/2011: fixed a typo in one of the variables (thanks everyone who reported this), added more options to keep (Swype and Car Dock Voice Commands), split into two versions -- one for the stock 5.5.959 build and 5.6.890 update (late August OTA), added a warning about removing the home screen without a launcher and that it removes the Calendar widget.
    removing the following apps breaks HDMI mirroring

DLNA.apk
    DlnaSystemService.apk
    PortalStandAlone.apk

To restore HDMI mirroring, rename these files back to their original name. This should fix HDMI. All credit to pedwards3x at Rootzwiki for this information.

Confirmed. I had to reboot afterwards, but it's all fixed.

Also, HDMI out works with a DVI converter I bought too.
    Great, but maybe it would be nice to make a y/n option for each .apk where it asks you if you want to delete that apk
    You shouldn't delete them -- we don't have an SPF yet. Someone posted the complete /system/app contents and you could restore, technically, manually, but it's a bad idea. Renaming to a .bak is completely effective.

instructions for use?
    Read the post. ;)

You'll want to use Script Manager -- unzip the two scripts to your SD card (internal or external), launch Script Manager (free version is fine), find the script and click it, then tick on 'root' and then run the script. Follow the prompts from there.
    script manager that you use?
    I use script manager and asked me if I want to remove each apk or not.
    There is a script manager that does everything automatically?
    thanks for the answer
    Please read the thread thoroughly -- I'm going to ignore obvious questions like these. :p
    Well captain assumption that is true but someone adapted it for bionic in another thread. 1 or 2 s Differences only. So i figured id ask if this worked for anyone else on ics as it sits to see if it was an ics issue. and if there were any diff on ics vs gb and what those were so i can compare and contrast your findings. I am flattered that you had enough time to look at my posts.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using xda app-developers app

Sometimes you just gotta look to find information that isn't presented to you (also you can find your posts with about 2 clicks :p ).

1. On topic, unfortunately since the D3 isn't getting "official" ICS like the Bionic someone will have to adapt the script again since the D3's ICS is a custom ROM and already debloated.
    2. You'd be best off finding the person who adapted it in the 1st place in the Bionic Dev section.
    3. That or just use a custom Bionic ROM which is debloated 99% of the time OR use the provided list and freeze with TiBu.