[ROOTING], Rooting HTC EXPLORER (A310e/PICO)

Search This thread

jitin02

Mar 17, 2009
Unknown
www.safaribikes.com
SOrry Guys Forgot 2 mention earlier. I moved To Xperia Mini Pro, So any1 else can take over and help PPL here taking hell outta there explorer
How to:
1. Download the files - "HTC Pico_Recovery,Boot with ext 2 3 4 support" , "BCM4330.KO" "superuser" from Below link,

"Superuser.zip" - http://www.4shared.com/file/KalrHXNj/Superuser.html
"Bcm4330.ko" - http://www.4shared.com/file/GbW0ZtaT/bcm4330.html
"HTC Pico_Recovery,Boot with ext 2 3 4 support" - http://www.4shared.com/zip/920-kXYc/HTC_Pico_RecoveryBoot_with_ext.html

2. Extract "HTC Pico_Recovery,Boot with ext 2 3 4 support" somewhere. say: desktop or some drive, copy "BCM4330.ko" onto ur adb "Tools" folder. Copy superuser.zip to ur Sdcard.

3. connect ur "Htc explorer(Pico) via USB" and open "recovery.bat from the folder u just extracted.

4. Wait relax, and watch ur device getting new underGarments. now as the time pass the "command Prompt" which just opened after opening "recovery.bat'' will show "adb reboot recovery" as the device boots to recovery, u will given new menu with blue fonts.

5. Now in recovery go to "Mount & Storage" and select "mount /system" with device connect via USB

6. I presume u have adb already setup on ur pc/laptop. Open "CMD" and type.
HTML:
adb shell mv -f /system/lib/modules/bcm4330.ko /system/lib/modules/bcm4330.bak
adb push /full/path/to/bcm4330.ko /system/lib/modules/bcm4330.ko

7. Now, select "unmount /system" from recovery menu (from where u earlier mounted /system)

8. select "goback" from below. now go to "install zip from SDcard. and and slect first open (which says choose zip from sdcard, or somthing like this). find the "superuser.zip" which u copied to ur sdcard and flash by selecting it.

9. Now if flashing goes smooth and it says "install zip from sd complete" then reboot ur device and enjoy.

For getting more space on ur device, download "link2sd"
For link2sd to work, i have attached tutorial for this (which i found by googleing) in Jpeg format (picture)

after getting link2sd to work , u can link the apps to sdcard and save more on device.

there is another option for getting more space on device.
Just download "terminal emulator" from market. pls note: u need to be rooted for this.

and give su permission to the app when prompted.
just enter
HTML:
su
pm setInstallLocation 2

now u will be taken to the next line and thats all
all ur apps will be installed to sdcard automatically. please note: when installing widgets, pls move them back to ur phone memory as they dont work on sdcard

Suggestion: You can pm me if you have some confusions or facing some problems rather than going some where else. I am always happy to help and there for the android community

For Custom ROM, Visit
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=21976188#post21976188

Attachments

• link2sd.jpg
    link2sd.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 2,504
Last edited:
Dec 7, 2011
Hey jitin02,

Thanks a lot for the post... But here are some changes I had to do to root my phone.

a. To install recovery:
The bat file kept waiting for the device infinitely. I just manually ran the two fastboot commands and the reboot command to setup recovery.

b. Copying superuser files:
Your method of extracting the zip file and then pushing them over to the /system directory will surely not work on windows systems, especially FAT32 file system computer, su file will not have executable rights when its copied into the dir.

right way is
copy superuser.zip to sdcard
boot into recovery
choose install from a zip option and point to that zip

Thanks for the post!

jaggyjags

Dec 8, 2011
Murcia
WIFI error and solution!!

rooted the phone manually with .cmd and then installed .zip from sd card.

when rebooting no wifi connection (error) and then formated using recovery but it didnt reboot (supose i have no rom installed now =$) how can i install another one, is there any for explorer?

any compatible rom would be fine for the time being.. =S

EDIT: found a ROM at last from a chineese site, (Eng and chinese languaje) the first one out there!!

here is the link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3RC9EE9Z

enjoy :)

Last edited:
Help!!!

bit noobish by the way

when rebooting no wifi connection (error) and then formated using recovery but it didnt reboot (supose i have no rom installed now =$) how can i install another one, is there any for explorer?

EDIT: found a ROM at last from a chineese site, (Eng and chineense languaje) the first one out there!!

cant upload links for the time being, PM for me to send :)

Did the same and I have the same error. Wifi does only show (error) on my HTC Explorer / Pico
I need that link to get it back working :( PM is on the way

Sep 7, 2010
Unfortunately I bricked mine too. Oddly everything was fine for a while. Until it starting giving a wi-fi error and after that I tried to fix it with a reset and after doesn't go any further than the HTC logo. Any thoughts in how to bypass this other than flashing a new rom? I kinda liked my stock and didn't backup.

Can i remove the sim-lock by using this method?

Mine is locked and I tried a different network SIM and it worked fine. Can't guarantee for sure because I didn't tried before rooting.

jaggyjags

Dec 8, 2011
Murcia
Unfortunately I bricked mine too. Oddly everything was fine for a while. Until it starting giving a wi-fi error and after that I tried to fix it with a reset and after doesn't go any further than the HTC logo. Any thoughts in how to bypass this other than flashing a new rom? I kinda liked my stock and didn't backup.

Mine is locked and I tried a different network SIM and it worked fine. Can't guarantee for sure because I didn't tried before rooting.
sent ROM in PM

install it through recovery after wiping all cache and memory (recovery option)

everything works perfect, you have to install android market separatelly and reboot for it to work (at least me). Full reboot (untick the fast reboot from settings)

I am preparing a custom rom with preinstalled apps and without the chinese ones, i will be posting it soon.

Last edited:

S2TMO-VN

Nov 22, 2011
Ho Chi Minh
I have a good news for HTC Explorer users'. My friend, he rooted it successfully. I'll post a translator tutorials about it for u all soon.
Now, Register a account on http://www.htcdev.com first

Here's screenshot

20111211171515.jpg

Last edited:

jaggyjags

Dec 8, 2011
Murcia
Whether exists custom ROM for HTC Pico??

Only one at the moment in all the entire internet, it has preinstalled the "superuser" and a file browser (some more but not used as thay are not in english), but has the chinese version of the market so we have to install it separatelly.
Preparing another one

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

Here is Only ROM available YET!

www.megaupload.com/?d=3RC9EE9Z

Last edited:
The custom rom is ok so far... still I am kind of a noob. Or feel like one. Is there a way to install other languages to that rom, specially the systemlanguage? and how to customize the rom?

Sorry for asking dump questions :(:confused:

Just figred, after I installed Market, and try to install an app, crashes. telling me the process has endet unexpected. :-(
Should have stayed with my original... anyone has a backup of an original rom?

Last edited:

jaggyjags

Dec 8, 2011
Murcia
The custom rom is ok so far... still I am kind of a noob. Or feel like one. Is there a way to install other languages to that rom, specially the systemlanguage? and how to customize the rom?

Sorry for asking dump questions :(:confused:

Just figred, after I installed Market, and try to install an app, crashes. telling me the process has endet unexpected. :-(
Should have stayed with my original... anyone has a backup of an original rom?

I didn't find any ROM but that one, managed to make android market work by rebooting the phone (full reboot, untick the fast reboot option)

dont know how to add new languaje (if possible)

to modify ROMs just eliminate the .apk you want from system/app inside the zip and add any you want, I just modified mine and added like 15 different apps (file explorer, Copilot, android market, music player, adobe flash...) and doesn't use any memory (just available ROM) you have around 50mb free :) . once you install it look for available memory left with programs like APPS2ROM (it doesn't work in our HTC but helps me see ROM memory left).

i am going to try now to add an app to ROM memory by just creating a .zip file with /system/app folders and the .APK in it, let see if it works

Last edited:
Yes I figured now, you have to reboot the phone. Works fine now. Already made a clean backup.
Ive seen a file which has many apps listed and SHA1 keys in it. hats why I am asking for howto cook your own rom. Let me know if it worked. Would be great if I could add and remove some stuff

jaggyjags

Dec 8, 2011
Murcia
Let me know if it worked. Would be great if I could add and remove some stuff

I am afraid it doesn´t, ("Installation aborted" message in Recovery). I will look for a diferent way to do it, not as simple as making a .zip file with "system/app/**.apk" :p

You can still uninstall them from rom memory using apps like "rom uninstaller" in andoid market

EDIT: found a way around it :) , just add the .apk inside "/system/app" in the "superuser.zip" found in the first post
http://www.4shared.com/file/KalrHXNj/Superuser.html

you already have this app in your phone so there is no problem in reinstalling it everytime you like on top of it (it even is the "pro version" of superuser, not the one on the custom ROM)

everything perfect :D

just note that no ALL of the apps work perfectly in the ROM memory, some crashed when opening them and had to uninstall them using "rom uninstaller" and install them manually
(I found just 2 small ones)

Last edited:
Yes while experimenting I found rom uninstaller too. and I managed to get rid of Sense 3.5 and some other stuff.
I installed GO Launcher EX instead and it runs alo better and faster than Sense.
Even this is my first Droid, I love it. I will make some Screenshots of it as soon I am dne with work.

I thank XDA and all users for the great work. Now I need to figure out if there is a way to install more languages.

For all PMing me... Scroll up to find the ROM

Dec 7, 2011
Wifi Issue

Did anyone figure out why WiFi is not working?

We have not changed the kernel, so I don't understand the reason...

Dec 7, 2011
Wifi

I guess the problem is with recovery.img that we flashed, if there is someone who has not touched it yet, can you take a backup of it?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SOrry Guys Forgot 2 mention earlier. I moved To Xperia Mini Pro, So any1 else can take over and help PPL here taking hell outta there explorer
    How to:
    1. Download the files - "HTC Pico_Recovery,Boot with ext 2 3 4 support" , "BCM4330.KO" "superuser" from Below link,

"Superuser.zip" - http://www.4shared.com/file/KalrHXNj/Superuser.html
    "Bcm4330.ko" - http://www.4shared.com/file/GbW0ZtaT/bcm4330.html
    "HTC Pico_Recovery,Boot with ext 2 3 4 support" - http://www.4shared.com/zip/920-kXYc/HTC_Pico_RecoveryBoot_with_ext.html

2. Extract "HTC Pico_Recovery,Boot with ext 2 3 4 support" somewhere. say: desktop or some drive, copy "BCM4330.ko" onto ur adb "Tools" folder. Copy superuser.zip to ur Sdcard.

3. connect ur "Htc explorer(Pico) via USB" and open "recovery.bat from the folder u just extracted.

4. Wait relax, and watch ur device getting new underGarments. now as the time pass the "command Prompt" which just opened after opening "recovery.bat'' will show "adb reboot recovery" as the device boots to recovery, u will given new menu with blue fonts.

5. Now in recovery go to "Mount & Storage" and select "mount /system" with device connect via USB

6. I presume u have adb already setup on ur pc/laptop. Open "CMD" and type.
    HTML:
    adb shell mv -f /system/lib/modules/bcm4330.ko /system/lib/modules/bcm4330.bak
    adb push /full/path/to/bcm4330.ko /system/lib/modules/bcm4330.ko

7. Now, select "unmount /system" from recovery menu (from where u earlier mounted /system)

8. select "goback" from below. now go to "install zip from SDcard. and and slect first open (which says choose zip from sdcard, or somthing like this). find the "superuser.zip" which u copied to ur sdcard and flash by selecting it.

9. Now if flashing goes smooth and it says "install zip from sd complete" then reboot ur device and enjoy.

For getting more space on ur device, download "link2sd"
    For link2sd to work, i have attached tutorial for this (which i found by googleing) in Jpeg format (picture)

after getting link2sd to work , u can link the apps to sdcard and save more on device.

there is another option for getting more space on device.
    Just download "terminal emulator" from market. pls note: u need to be rooted for this.

and give su permission to the app when prompted.
    just enter
    HTML:
    su
    pm setInstallLocation 2

now u will be taken to the next line and thats all
    all ur apps will be installed to sdcard automatically. please note: when installing widgets, pls move them back to ur phone memory as they dont work on sdcard

Suggestion: You can pm me if you have some confusions or facing some problems rather than going some where else. I am always happy to help and there for the android community

For Custom ROM, Visit
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=21976188#post21976188
    file

when running it in .cmd, no file pulled, just a list of valid commands

got it using "root explorer"
    Hey jitin02,

Thanks a lot for the post... But here are some changes I had to do to root my phone.

a. To install recovery:
    The bat file kept waiting for the device infinitely. I just manually ran the two fastboot commands and the reboot command to setup recovery.

b. Copying superuser files:
    Your method of extracting the zip file and then pushing them over to the /system directory will surely not work on windows systems, especially FAT32 file system computer, su file will not have executable rights when its copied into the dir.

right way is
    copy superuser.zip to sdcard
    boot into recovery
    choose install from a zip option and point to that zip

Thanks for the post!
    WIFI error and solution!!

EDIT: found a ROM at last from a chineese site, (Eng and chinese languaje) the first one out there!!

here is the link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3RC9EE9Z

enjoy :)
    Need wifi module

Reason for wifi not working: Kernel version in boot.img and wifi driver module in the folder /system/lib/modules differ. Kernel is not loading wifi driver.

If any of you who has put custom ROM on the phone and are using wifi pass me your wifi driver I will try this fix

You just need to run this command and give me the file.

adb pull /system/lib/modules/bcm4330.ko

Please guys i need this file.