[Q] KF issues and what I have tried so far...

Search This thread

Sunnywonder

Jun 23, 2014
Hello.

I have a KF 1st generation. I had rooted it some time back and then un-rooted it (thought I did?) and haven't had an issue. This week it started loading up and freezing on the Kindle Fire orange and white logo. I am able to boot it to Recovery which gives me Cannibal Open Touch screen and options. I did try a few of the options but still the same end result. After coming here and reading around I found a thread and I followed the directions since the original poster and I seemed to have the same issue. There are the steps I followed:

Step 1) Download MoDaCo Rom/Any other ROM BUT NOT ANY KITKAT ROM(COTR can NOT flash KitKat)
Step 2) Transfer your ROM while in recovery
Step 3) Do a preflash wipe
Step 4) Do a factory reset
Step 5) Go to 'Install -> Install from SD Card -> Folder where you put your ROM
Step 6) Click Install without Backup
Step 7) Boot Android

I downloaded [ROM] 14 Jun Gr9 (6.3.1) - MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Kindle Fire and made it to Step 5 using the 'Zip Flashing' option but I can't seem to flash or sideload or any of those options. While the Kindle is plugged into the computer I hear the noise and when I find my Kindle it has a Yellow Triangle with a !. I looked at the Kindle and it tells me I have no drivers and I am not able to drag and drop any files. Also, not sure if it matters but I am no longer using the computer used to root the Kindle.

Sunnywonder

Jun 23, 2014
the rebooting is the new 6.3.3 update trying to install, but because you have custom bootloader/recovery install fails.
may need to install twrp recovery. but my prerooted 6.3.3 zip sbould install fine.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

@sd_shadow I appreciate the reply and the twrp file but can you lead me to the direction to getting them to the KF? I can plug the KF into the computer and it no longer gives me the triangle ! sign. I am unsure of the next step and don't wanna mess anything up with unnecessary stuff. Thank You again :good:

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
@sd_shadow I appreciate the reply and the twrp file but can you lead me to the direction to getting them to the KF? I can plug the KF into the computer and it no longer gives me the triangle ! sign. I am unsure of the next step and don't wanna mess anything up with unnecessary stuff. Thank You again :good:
select mount option in twrp, then just copy to sdcard folder on pc

Sunnywonder

Jun 23, 2014
select mount option in twrp, then just copy to sdcard folder on pc

I have been trying to figure this out and searching but I can't seem to figure this out. I am uploading the screen I have on my KF and I don't know how to mount the file. I can't find a thread that will kind of walk me though it so if you know where I should go that would be great. I am uselessly pretty good with figuring things out so maybe I'm making this harder than it looks? :eek:

Attachments

• pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 15

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
I have been trying to figure this out and searching but I can't seem to figure this out. I am uploading the screen I have on my KF and I don't know how to mount the file. I can't find a thread that will kind of walk me though it so if you know where I should go that would be great. I am uselessly pretty good with figuring things out so maybe I'm making this harder than it looks? :eek:
Can't remember if Cannibal Open Touch has mount options
may need to

Download a twrp.img from http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/blaze,
latest (24 June 2014) is openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.0-otter.img

verify md5 check sum
Download ADB/Fastboot.exe Files from adb-fastboot.zip
Unzip adb-fastboot.zip
Copy adb/fastboot files (AdbWinUsbApi.dll, AdbWinApi.dll, adb.exe, fastboot.exe), and twrp.img
to same folder like c:adb

reboot Kindle to Bootloader
Open command prompt (Start menu>all programs>Accessories>Command Prompt
Enter Commands
Code:
cd\adb
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.0-otter.img
fastboot reboot
kindle will reboot
When you see Press Power for Boot Options select recovery
In TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project) select Mount check sd card and tap mount USB Storage
On Pc open sd card folder and copy update-kindle-prerooted.6.3.3.v1.zip downloaded from post 1
once copy is complete, close folder, unmount sd card
in TWRP select Install select update-kindle-prerooted.6.3.3.v1.zip
Swipe to Confirm Flash
after flash is complete, wipe cache, select Back, select Reboot
May take a few minutes to boot first time

Reactions: Sunnywonder

Sunnywonder

Jun 23, 2014
Victory!
First off TY for the time you took to get me to the finish line. :victory:
I will admit trying to mount was a nightmare. I couldn't figure out how to do it so after hours of playing around and trying to find anything to try I finally succeed by installing the Kindle Fire Unbrick Utility (again) and running KindleUnbrick.bat file and installing the TWRP that way. Once that worked (and believe me I didn't think it would work since I tried this a few times) and I yelled WOOT, I followed the rest of your directions from "In TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project) select Mount check sd card and tap mount USB Storage" and installed your prerooted 6.3.3 zip and finished off your directions and have myself my dear reading buddy back. I APPRECIATE deeply the time you took to get me back. :highfive:

I want to add for anyone who is looking though threads looking for help with the same issue. If you are trying to get the TWRP file on your Kindle download the Kindle Fire Unbrick Utility and then running the RUN file and follow the directions.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Can't remember if Cannibal Open Touch has mount options
    may need to

Download a twrp.img from http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/blaze,
    latest (24 June 2014) is openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.0-otter.img

verify md5 check sum
    Download ADB/Fastboot.exe Files from adb-fastboot.zip
    Unzip adb-fastboot.zip
    Copy adb/fastboot files (AdbWinUsbApi.dll, AdbWinApi.dll, adb.exe, fastboot.exe), and twrp.img
    to same folder like c:adb

reboot Kindle to Bootloader
    Open command prompt (Start menu>all programs>Accessories>Command Prompt
    Enter Commands
    Code:
    cd\adb
    fastboot reboot-bootloader
    fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.0-otter.img
    fastboot reboot
    kindle will reboot
    When you see Press Power for Boot Options select recovery
    In TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project) select Mount check sd card and tap mount USB Storage
    On Pc open sd card folder and copy update-kindle-prerooted.6.3.3.v1.zip downloaded from post 1
    once copy is complete, close folder, unmount sd card
    in TWRP select Install select update-kindle-prerooted.6.3.3.v1.zip
    Swipe to Confirm Flash
    after flash is complete, wipe cache, select Back, select Reboot
    May take a few minutes to boot first time