[BATTERY] Post your Galaxy S5 stats!

Search This thread

system.img

Feb 14, 2012
Chennai
Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus
oh i thought larger screens use more battery because larger pixels takes more power to turn on? :S

In the case of LCD, larger screens do consume more power because a larger backlight is needed.

In AMOLED though, the resolution decides the power consumption as there is no backlight. The Note 3 and S5 effectively have the same number of pixels to power on irrespective of size.

Reactions: Hellscythe

degast

Oct 1, 2008
In the case of LCD, larger screens do consume more power because a larger backlight is needed.

In AMOLED though, the resolution decides the power consumption as there is no backlight. The Note 3 and S5 effectively have the same number of pixels to power on irrespective of size.

That's right, but a larger screen always requires more power, even if it's just the longer distance electrons have to travel to reach the pixels.

Reactions: Mrhansel

system.img

Feb 14, 2012
Chennai
Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus
How so? To achieve the same level of brightness on a larger area, light source either has to be bigger, or brighter, simple physics.

Note that I was comparing the Note 3 and S5 in my post. I also said that the work done by the electrons in travelling the extra distance is negligible.

The difference between the Note 3 and the S5's display is just 0.6 inches diagonally. In reality, the area difference between the two displays is not that large. There will be a small difference in screen on times of the two devices, but that quantity is very little.

leoaudio13

Feb 24, 2010
Somewhere on Earth
Note that I was comparing the Note 3 and S5 in my post. I also said that the work done by the electrons in travelling the extra distance is negligible.

The difference between the Note 3 and the S5's display is just 0.6 inches diagonally. In reality, the area difference between the two displays is not that large. There will be a small difference in screen on times of the two devices, but that quantity is very little.

I dont think screen size is that big matter. I myself have a Note 3 Canada and its battery is freaking awesome ( almost 2.5 days light-medium use) . Its all about software coding side that i do believe that matters. Battery consume for another 0.5 to 1 inch is not that much :)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

BoneXDA

Oct 9, 2012
I dont think screen size is that big matter. I myself have a Note 3 Canada and its battery is freaking awesome ( almost 2.5 days light-medium use) . Its all about software coding side that i do believe that matters. Battery consume for another 0.5 to 1 inch is not that much :)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
A 6" phone has a 50% larger screen area to light up than a 5" one, and the Note 3 has a 25% larger screen than the S5, but you are correct, much depends on other HW and SW. The S5 is using special battery saving algorithms, so it should do well.

msavic6

Jun 28, 2010
Vancouver
So is the internet browsing graph with the screen on or off?

The screen is obviously on. It wouldn't be web browsing with the screen off. Keep in mind this is only one test so far, wait for the other tech sites to do there testing before you disregard any of the results.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

JesseMT4G

Aug 30, 2011
Youngstown
Wonder why the Flex isn't on there. I get crazy battery life. At 50% right now and 15 hours and 6 hours on screen time. Did get awesome battery life on my n2 when it was on 4.2.1. 4.3 and up was taxing on it...

Sent from my LG-D959 using Tapatalk

msavic6

Jun 28, 2010
Vancouver
Wonder why the Flex isn't on there. I get crazy battery life. At 50% right now and 15 hours and 6 hours on screen time. Did get awesome battery life on my n2 when it was on 4.2.1. 4.3 and up was taxing on it...

Its probably because of the limited availability of the device.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

JesseMT4G

Aug 30, 2011
Youngstown
I thought of that after I posted. Forgot it was limited on only T-Mobile. I personally love it as not many people rock T-Mobile around here (For whatever reason as I get insane speeds!) or if they do, don't see the Flex anywhere. People stare at my phone wondering what in the world in did to it.

atg284

Nov 26, 2012
The screen is obviously on. It wouldn't be web browsing with the screen off. Keep in mind this is only one test so far, wait for the other tech sites to do there testing before you disregard any of the results.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Whoa there cowboy! I didn't think it was that obvious considering it was not stated anywhere. For the record I just pre-ordered the S5 a couple hours ago. I know it's getting heated with the S5/m8 debate but don't assume things.

msavic6

Jun 28, 2010
Vancouver
Whoa there cowboy! I didn't think it was that obvious considering it was not stated anywhere. For the record I just pre-ordered the S5 a couple hours ago. I know it's getting heated with the S5/m8 debate but don't assume things.

Maybe I misunderstood your initial post but I can't understand how you can web browse with the screen off?

atg284

Nov 26, 2012
Maybe I misunderstood your initial post but I can't understand how you can web browse with the screen off?

reviewers do benchmarks with screen on and screen off sometimes. Just curious is all. I'm confident the S5 will have decent battery life. I remember reading samsung implemented battery saving algorithms in this phone. Also when I played with it today (@att store) the power savings mode was really neat and I think it will work well especially combined with its super amoled screen.

BoneXDA

Oct 9, 2012
Playwares battery wifi and white screen test is done

Playwares measured the S5's heavy wifi browsing endurance (5 second page refresh, orange bars) and I think white constant image drainage at 230cd/m2 (blue bars), and it beats out the G-Flex, S4, Note 3, iPhone 5 & 5s etc., only two phones doing better browsing are the Note 2 and G Pro 2.

54542cmlym.gif

Source: http://www.playwares.com/xe/39621126

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS THREAD IS DEDICATED TO YOUR AND REVIEW BATTERY RESULTS

Smartphone Bulgaria posted it's S5 review and battery stats, and it's VERY promising.
    Source of these images: http://news.smartphone.bg/review/revyu-na-samsung-galaxy-s5-noviyat-vodach-na-smartfon-pazara/

Talk time on 3G is topping smartphone.bg's charts at 25 hours

talkdrss0.png

Internet browsing (10,5hrs) is a tad behind the efficient iPhone 5S, but FAR ahead even the Note 3

internetx2sec.png

3D gaming is also topping the charts (4,6hrs)

gameh0syh.png

The Galaxy S5 is now smartphone.bg's endurance champion

battery76snj.png
    Hey all,

Here is my battery life. Not terrible, but not nearly as good as many of you. This is after minimal use. Email, some web browsing and about an hour's worth of podcast streaming. 58% after 12 hours on battery.

From what I gather, my phone is experiencing wavelock. The Screen-on time vs. awake time is confounding. I contacted Verizon and they sent me a new battery, but my issues continue.

I can send any interested parties a screenshot of my battery stats, as I cannot post a pic, being a new member.

Thanks!

Battery life depends on many different things. So it varies a lot. Even with the same hardware and firmware installed.
    One main influence is the usage.

For posting screenshots/attaching files, you need some few more posts. Then in "Go Advanced" (underneath the post input box) you should get an option to "Manage Attatchments" ... at least when browsing xda in a browser.

If you have concerns about your battery life, there are some nice apps available to help you finding potential culprits draining the battery.
    For example GSAM battery monitor or Better Battery Stats (BBS) from Play store.
    You can also check the BBS thread for further information about how to optimize your battery life ... and if you post a BBS dumpfile there and ask for help, you will get some useful advices.

EDIT:
    Here are my current battery stats after about 8.5 hours of sleeping ... auto-sync disabled, but mobile data enabled all the time.
    (Still on stock G900FXXU1ANE2 with stock kernel ... without any manual system tweaks/undervolting/underclocking/etc. and no power saving mode)
    How can it be better than Note 3, I am confused.

Could be many things, the better screen : battery ratio, fresher SoC, Android / TouchWiz version, improved radios, heat management, screen tech... but wait and see for other results.

I'm quite sure it's related to this: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Gala...e-to-Lucid-Logics-battery-saving-tech_id53325

Enviado do meu Galaxy S4
    Wtf, I feel sorry for Crapple 5s.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    Playwares battery wifi and white screen test is done

Playwares measured the S5's heavy wifi browsing endurance (5 second page refresh, orange bars) and I think white constant image drainage at 230cd/m2 (blue bars), and it beats out the G-Flex, S4, Note 3, iPhone 5 & 5s etc., only two phones doing better browsing are the Note 2 and G Pro 2.

54542cmlym.gif

Source: http://www.playwares.com/xe/39621126