Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean [No Flashing, No Rooting Required]

Search This thread

cozanostra

Dec 21, 2010
This is to confirm that I managed to install the most recent OTA JB leak from my out-of-the-box Bell Galaxy S3, without having to flash anything, no CWR, no rooting required. Also didn't have to wipe any data or factory reset, after the update all my apps and data were in order as if I did a Kies update.

This is all you need to do - keep in mind this only works for UNROOTED stock Bell firmare (I747MVLALH) cannot by any means guarantee results for any other carrier/version.

1. Download latest OTA leak here
  2. Save zip file to EXTERNAL SD CARD of your phone, do not unzip or rename.
  3. Boot phone in stock recovery (Turn off phone & start up by holding down Volume Up+Home+Power, let go when the Samsung logo appears)
  4. From Recovery menu select ->Wipe cache partition (this step, if ignored may be the reason why this didn't work for other users)
  5. From Recovery menu select ->Apply update from external storage->select zip file you saved on external SD earlier and let the phone do its thing. It will take a few minutes before the slider bar shows up so don't panic thinking that its not working, in my case the upgrading process took about 15min
  6. Restart phone, and enjoy JB!

All apps and data were still there, no need to reconfigure anything. Flash counter did not get tripped, ROM still shows as "Samsung Official".

Bell TV app still works, which means that Bell still recognizes the phone, however KIES does not, so for upcoming official OTA update you will need to revert back to stock ROM.

Google Now works great, the speech recognition is almost flawless, has recognized everything I said and I have a pretty thick accent in English. To get it working, you just need to update Google Voice search, for me the update request showed up automatically.

As far as bugs, only thing I found so far is WiFi tethering will only work when set as open (no password) and grey notifications bar (which may be just part of design). Some people reported issues with music player but its working fine for me.

As for performance, I find that apps open with zero lag, I did find some choppiness when scrolling lists in certain applications and websites. See attached quadrant result.

For those who try it please post experience and other issues/bugs that may be there.

Update: To enable voice response from Google Now, download this from Play Store, then select US English language, thats it!(credits to DEEZENUTSZ)

Update: some users reported GPS inaccuracies, this can be resolved by clearing cache data for the maps application. Mine works great so far.

Update: ***IMPORTANT PLS READ*** All app related issues reported by users in this thread (GPS, maps, bluetooth, music player etc) are resolved by clearing cache and data for each app. Alternatively, you can do a factory reset and it will take care of every app issue and force closes. Again, the above method works only for STOCK UNROOTED Bell ROM, any other ROM would require ODIN flashing and/or flashing stock Bell ROM first. I will no longer reply to issues that have already been discussed, so before you start firing your negativity bombs, please take the time to carefully read this step-by=step guide and all the updates I added. Oh, and don't forget to thank me once in a while :D

Screenshot_2012-09-14-15-49-22.png

Last edited:

MagicMan3

Jul 5, 2010
Red Deer
This is to confirm that I managed to install the most recent OTA JB leak from my out-of-the-box Bell Galaxy S3, without having to flash anything, no CWR, no rooting required. Also didn't have to wipe any data or factory reset, after the update all my apps and data were in order as if I did a Kies update.

This is all you need to do - keep in mind this only works for stock Bell firmare (I747MVLALH) cannot by any means guarantee results for any other carrier/version.

3. Boot phone in stock recovery (Turn off phone & start up by holding down Volume Up+Home+Power, let go when the Samsung logo appears)
  4. From Recovery menu select ->Wipe cache partition (this step, if ignored may be the reason why this didn't work for other users)
  5. From Recovery menu select ->Apply update from external storage->select zip file you saved on external SD earlier and let the phone do its thing. It will take a few minutes before the slider bar shows up so don't panic thinking that its not working, in my case the upgrading process took about 15min

All apps and data were still there, no need to reconfigure anything

Bell TV app still works, which means that Bell still recognizes the phone, however KIES does not, so for upcoming official OTA update you will need to revert back to stock ROM.

Google Now works great, the speech recognition is almost flawless, has recognized everything I said and I have a pretty thick accent in English. To get it working, you just need to update Google Voice search, for me the update request showed up automatically.

As far as bugs, only thing I found so far is WiFi tethering will only work when set as open (no password) and grey notifications bar (which may be just part of design). Some people reported issues with music player but its working fine for me.

As for performance, I find that apps open with zero lag, I did find some choppiness when scrolling lists in certain applications and websites.

For those who try it please post experience and other issues/bugs that may be there.

Thanks for the info. I'm on stock rooted, will this work or do I have to revert to the non-rooted? If it works with stocked rooted will I lose root?

cozanostra

Dec 21, 2010
Is there a way to root this one without tripping the flash counter?

Just went in download mode to check, and surprisingly the counter was not tripped, more specifically:

Custom Binary Download: No
Current Binary: Samsung Official
System Status: Official

:victory::victory::victory::victory:

MagicMan3

Jul 5, 2010
Red Deer
Just went in download mode to check, and surprisingly the counter was not tripped, more specifically:

Custom Binary Download: No
Current Binary: Samsung Official
System Status: Official

:victory::victory::victory::victory:

You flashed over a rooted rom?

I got error 7 with both rooted stock and just stock.

Odd though, I went into download mode by accident first and System Status showed "custom"... hmm...

Last edited:

RageATheM

Apr 26, 2012
Moncton
I can confirm this works! I'm on stock Bell not rooted and installed the OTA file and worked like a charm. Got 5178 in Quadrant right after update. Seems to be some issue with WidgetLocker not always engaging on the lock. Also the ebay app is constantly stop working so I uninstalled it for the time being. So far loving the changes

UPDATE: I guess eBay recalled the 2.0 update of their app so once I unistalled 2.0 and re-installed from the app store I am no longer having the crashing issues!

Last edited:
Reactions: cozanostra

deezenutsz

Mar 29, 2012
Works Amazing!

Confirm it works AMAZING!

Upgraded from the L1 patch earlier this week from Bell!
0 issues with any apps!
Smooth AS BUTTER!
NO MEMORY LEAK!
NO LAG!
VERY RESPONSIVE!

Only issue! Tethering is as the original post confirms not working.
Any fix would appreciate.

THANK YOU! HIGHLY RECOMMEND TO ALL BELL/VIRGIN S3ers!

*DAMN I HATED THAT L1 UPDATE! MADE MY PHONE SLOW AS HELL!*

Last edited:
Reactions: cozanostra

TRusselo

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
it will fail on ATT when i verifies the system image. flash team insomnia's rom of this, it is modded in the build.prop for att.

I have noticed if you flash stock LH1 through MOBILE odin with ever root. the JB update will fail system verification.
But if you flash LH1 stock through regular odin it works like a charm.

Flash unrooted LH1 stock with odin
Boot into recovery and flash the JB update from external SD
Odin flash CWM.CWM_Recovery_6.0.1.2.tar (yes trips flash counter. but use triangle away app chickens.)
Use cwm to root with the CWM-SuperSU-v0.96.zip

Attachments

• CWM_Recovery_6.0.1.2.tar
    5.4 MB · Views: 137
  • CWM-SuperSU-v0.96.zip
    668.1 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: S7icky and FlyinHi

RageATheM

Apr 26, 2012
Moncton
Bluetooth audio for music doesn't come through my headset but call audio does

EDIT: After a reboot looks like Audio now comes through the headset. Not sure if it will always stay working but it's working for now

Last edited:

TRusselo

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
Last edited:

jwais

Aug 26, 2007
Can anybody confirm if this would work for telus? Heard that it does!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using xda premium

cozanostra

Dec 21, 2010
it will fail on ATT when i verifies the system image. flash team insomnia's rom of this, it is modded in the build.prop for att.

I have noticed if you flash stock LH1 through MOBILE odin with ever root. the JB update will fail system verification.

Odin flash CWM.CWM_Recovery_6.0.1.2.tar (yes trips flash counter. but use triangle away app chickens.)
Thanks for the added info. Question: would re-flashing the stock unrooted LH1 with odin affect the counter? I'm thinking of doing that when the official JB OTA is out but would need to bring it to a state that Kies recognizes first.

codo27

Sep 5, 2010
St. John's
Bluetooth audio for music doesn't come through my headset but call audio does

EDIT: After a reboot looks like Audio now comes through the headset. Not sure if it will always stay working but it's working for now

Can you give any more details on this? I just went down to try on my motorola hands free box, and media audio was disabled by default, so I enabled it. but with bluetooth on, the music player crashes, but works fine again when I disable bluetooth.

RageATheM

Apr 26, 2012
Moncton
Can you give any more details on this? I just went down to try on my motorola hands free box, and media audio was disabled by default, so I enabled it. but with bluetooth on, the music player crashes, but works fine again when I disable bluetooth.

I have the motorola S10-HD bluetooth headphones. They were already paired before I did the upgrade. After the upgrade the first time I turned them on, they auto synced to the phone as usual (including both media and phone checked in settings) but when I pressed play on my music it came through my phone speaker. Next I called the phone and answered with the headphones and audio came through the headphones. I rebooted the phone. Turned the headphones back on, auto connected and everything worked. I get no crashing just wasn't putting the audio through the right device at first.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This is all you need to do - keep in mind this only works for UNROOTED stock Bell firmare (I747MVLALH) cannot by any means guarantee results for any other carrier/version.

All apps and data were still there, no need to reconfigure anything. Flash counter did not get tripped, ROM still shows as "Samsung Official".

As for performance, I find that apps open with zero lag, I did find some choppiness when scrolling lists in certain applications and websites. See attached quadrant result.

Update: To enable voice response from Google Now, download this from Play Store, then select US English language, thats it!(credits to DEEZENUTSZ)

Update: some users reported GPS inaccuracies, this can be resolved by clearing cache data for the maps application. Mine works great so far.

Update: ***IMPORTANT PLS READ*** All app related issues reported by users in this thread (GPS, maps, bluetooth, music player etc) are resolved by clearing cache and data for each app. Alternatively, you can do a factory reset and it will take care of every app issue and force closes. Again, the above method works only for STOCK UNROOTED Bell ROM, any other ROM would require ODIN flashing and/or flashing stock Bell ROM first. I will no longer reply to issues that have already been discussed, so before you start firing your negativity bombs, please take the time to carefully read this step-by=step guide and all the updates I added. Oh, and don't forget to thank me once in a while :D

Screenshot_2012-09-14-15-49-22.png
    Found fix for voice search!

SOLUTION FOR VOICE SPEECH!

The phone because is set stock Canada English and has no way to change selection if you look in language and input

you will need to download:

Local Select

and Choose English US,

You will need this all Canadian users.

Please Don't forget to thank me for fix :D
    i did the ota up date to I747MVLALI3 to my non rooted bell gs3 but now the official version of 4.1.1 is out but phone will not update telling me that it already has the latest firmware and kies says your device does not support software upgrading via kies

Curent firmware version PDA:LI3 / PHONE :LH1 / CSC:LI3 (BMC)

i would appreciate some input on how to do this , ive been dealing with all the bugs that came with installing I747MVLALI3 for a while so it would be nice to have a stable firmware again

thanks
    You need to download the firmware (I747MVLDLK4) and flash it using ODIN.

The files you need can be obtained from SamMobile (I can't post the link at the moment, but search for SGH-I747M and download the corresponding firmware for Bell) - alternatively, grab the correct file from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1739426

Once the firmware has downloaded, put your phone into download mode (power off, then hold down volume down + home + power), and then accept the warning about flashing firmware. You'll then see an Android and text that says "Downloading! Please do not turn off target", connect the phone to your computer and use ODIN to flash the firmware. Make sure to use the original USB cable that came with the phone to prevent any issues when using ODIN.

Instructions to flash with ODIN (from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1739426):
    Extract the root66_xxx_.tar.md5 from the .7z file you downloaded.
    Use Odin, put phone into download mode [with phone off, hold vol. down + home + power ], connect to computer and open Odin.
    Once in odin click the PDA field and select the root66_xxx_.tar.md5 you downloaded.
    Leave Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checked.
    Click start and when done let phone reboot.

More information can be found here, hope that helps.
    Who's going to try it on the AT&T SG3? :)