Official KitKat for Canadian GS3 variants out now?

Search This thread

radapex

Dec 1, 2012
Telus made their available earlier today, and Bell's is out now.

On a side note, does anyone know how to get the update on a rooted device? I just rooted mine a few weeks ago. Still running stock ROM, but nothing I've tried seems to work.

HiKsFiles

Aug 7, 2010
Québec city
On a side note, does anyone know how to get the update on a rooted device? I just rooted mine a few weeks ago. Still running stock ROM, but nothing I've tried seems to work.

Forget it, you won't be able to get it through official OTA.

Once you're rooted, your only way to update is to wait for someone to create a flashable zip of the update, flash the entire ROM by downloading from samfirmware or wait for a custom ROM.

radapex

Dec 1, 2012
Forget it, you won't be able to get it through official OTA.

Once you're rooted, your only way to update is to wait for someone to create a flashable zip of the update, flash the entire ROM by downloading from samfirmware or wait for a custom ROM.

Tried updating over KIES - what an ordeal. Had to run through emergency recovery twice but finally got it. I wasn't using root access for a great deal - basically lose out on Greenify automanaging and being able to revoke permissions. I can live with that for a while.

Last edited:

Laugher19

Oct 22, 2012
I hear towelroot for the s5 works with the kk update.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: xCAVEMANx

nlz242

Dec 23, 2012
Tried updating over KIES - what an ordeal. Had to run through emergency recovery twice but finally got it. I wasn't using root access for a great deal - basically lose out on Greenify automanaging and being able to revoke permissions. I can live with that for a while.

KIES doesn't want to recognise my device and Odin is... either stuck on flashing system.img.ext4 or taking really long... heh
EDIT: Changed USB port and Cable and it flashed properly...

Last edited:

Tornade69

Nov 4, 2011
Montreal Northshore
Great News!

That's really a great news!!! Anyone planning to make a flashable zipfile for this rom without the bootloader and knox? I preserve 4.1.2 bootloader on my phone since 4.3 came out. So far, is this update good ?? i heard battery life not really good...

Thanks guys!

HiKsFiles

Aug 7, 2010
Québec city
Has anyone tried installing the firmware using Mobile Odin and using the Everroot option?

I'm not really willing to try it for myself as this is my daily driver phone...

Ymodem-G

Nov 21, 2010
Toronto
I wouldn't recommend this update. I updated this morning and everything seemed fine until I tried running Waze on the way home from work. My device was plugged into power as it usually is, but now on this new version my battery is actually discharging WHILE connected to power.

Now to look into rolling back. This is a deal breaker.

Edit: And for the record, this drain is confirmed on two different Galaxy S3's in our house.

Last edited:
Reactions: Olly76

Tornade69

Nov 4, 2011
Montreal Northshore
I wouldn't recommend this update. I updated this morning and everything seemed fine until I tried running Waze on the way home from work. My device was plugged into power as it usually is, but now on this new version my battery is actually discharging WHILE connected to power.

Now to look into rolling back. This is a deal breaker.

Edit: And for the record, this drain is confirmed on two different Galaxy S3's in our house.

Dis you update via OTA or odin with data wipe?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using XDA Free mobile app

TKG26

Aug 29, 2008
I just installed update. I was rooted running flashed stock 4.4.3 rom... I used Android Toolkit from skipsoft and it worked..

I tried different ODIN versions with no joy.. Using the Android Toolkit somehow when it loaded ODIN the flash to stock 4.4.3 worked...

UPDATE: I disabled AVG while using toolkit, i had not using odin orginally it may be related to my issu

Last edited:

TKG26

Aug 29, 2008
Yay. Pretty much the same as using any method I suppose. Got lucky I guess. :)

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Its not "locked" (meaning you can still flash custom recoveries and kernels), but I fully expect it'll be the same as before with regard to downgrading.

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Correct. Provided its like 4.3, you can only flash the same or newer firmware.
I believe you should still be able to flash older roms like before, but have not seen this confirmed yet.

Top Liked Posts