Google voice.

Search This thread

smeltn

Jul 20, 2010
Alabama
Mine works great, although it took me FOREVER to get it to work correctly and set up.

Also I notice the speaker volume when trying to play messages through speaker phone is horribly low.

caelestis2

Nov 15, 2008
Yeah I had problems at first. I got a phone number with my name in it, but it didn't have a location and no one could call me. I had to pay 10$ to switch my number to a local one but its all good now.

Also, doesn't make calls on my wifi b/c internet keeps dropping, but I don't blame it. My wifi sucks.

Smallsmx3

Jul 28, 2010
You have to go on the google voice website and activate it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

ewingr

Dec 1, 2007
Wrong person when hit voice mail...

I've posted this question in Google's Help area, but I almost never get replies on messages there. Trying here.

When someone forwards to voicemail (Google VM), the recorded name that plays is not mine. I have recorded my name again; played it back on the WEB, and it is me; but if I dial my phone and go to VM it is a different person that says the recorded name. To answer the first obvious question, I am sure we are using the right number

I did see in the Google help section that someone fixed that problem by disabling Google Voice on their phone and re-enabling it.

Interestingly, I do have the Voice Mail Carrier in my phone set to 'My Carrier', which would be AT&T. I"m not sure of the significance of changing that. My presumption is that if it rings long enough it may go to AT&T voice mail instead of Google Voice mail. But in the end, I don't believe that has anything to do with my problem.

But even though I don't think this is part of my problem, I did try to set in my phone to send voice mail to Google Voice. When it went to the network it comes back with message "Voicemail number change unsuccessful. Please contact yoru carrier if this problem persists."

I guess if I can come up wiht correct settings that will be helpful. Everything I find in the Google help for setup is about setting it up on the web, and not the phone.

Later I found that you can enable/disable Google Voice Mail on your phone from the Google Voice Mail web site by dialing numbers into your phone. I have tried that twice now, and it still is playing the wrong name . ( I am confused about the setting mentioned above on the phone).

So, any suggestions on clearing up this problem?

ewingr

Dec 1, 2007
On my post for my problem(above a couple posts), from Google Help Group, I had someone select it as "Answered", and pointed it to a long list of questions, but no answer. I think they must be trying to rack up "I answered it" points or something.

GV seems to be pretty buggy. I may abandon it.

ewingr

Dec 1, 2007
Well, I find using Google Products can be very frustrating. Zero support from Google, and if it is something the community has no idea how to fix, you are SOL.

Not getting any answers on this anywhere.

quarlow

Feb 6, 2008
Tooele, UT
I had the same problem when setting up my Aria, before I got my Captivate. It would not change the forwarding numbers. I had to change the forwarding number manually on the phone. Settings > Call Settings > Voice Calls > Call Forwarding. (When I got the Captivate I did not have to set up again, AT&T stores the forwarding settings) It also took me a while to get it straight between the difference of the number I forward to, and the number I call when I want to listen.

All in all I thought the Google Voice was a pain to set up, and not as easy to set up as I expected for a Google product. But it does offer features that the iPhone Visual Voicemail did not, like transcribing the message, etc.

ewingr

Dec 1, 2007
I actually would like to use some of the features. But I am pretty frustrated with the bugs. Well, at least, this one bug that I can't get an answer on.

Another bug I experienced, assuming I understand correctly, is that if a 'known' contact calls, it won't ask for the name. But I found the same contact calling me during testing would experienced inconsistently that it would, or would not ask.

If I can just get the darned other person's name from being played when it goes to VM, I'll be able to experiment more.

Oh, one other thing that is happening. Today, I called my Google number, just to see if it had possibly corrected itself. Interestingly it also ran my home phone too, which I had turned off.

So, it just seems not ready for prime time.