[Q] Note 2 Overheating Problem

Search This thread

4e6a

Nov 30, 2010
What temperature have your note2 CPU after 15-30min playing "heavy" games (like NFS, N.O.V.A, etc)?
I looked at the CPU temperature (in "System Tuner Pro v2.5.9") after 15min playing "NFS: MW" - it was 62C. Upper half of the screen became very hot :(
And also after a four-minute HD-video recording the temperature rises to 51C.
In standby mode (display is turned off) the CPU temperature is about 40C.

It is normal or it would be better if I return my phone?
Confuse that after playing it is uncomfortable (for the ear) to make a call...

Last edited:

matzone

Jun 6, 2009
What temperature have your note2 CPU after 15-30min playing "heavy" games (like NFS, N.O.V.A, etc)?
I looked at the CPU temperature (in "System Tuner Pro v2.5.9") after 15min playing "NFS: MW" - it was 62C. Upper half of the screen became very hot :(
And also after a four-minute HD-video recording the temperature rises to 51C.
In standby mode (display is turned off) the CPU temperature is about 40C.

It is normal or it would be better if I return my phone?
Confuse that after playing it is uncomfortable (for the ear) to make a call...

It is normal! No matter what ppl will say, you have a bad ass passive cooled QUAD processor in your phone and this behavior is to be expected from it. I have many phones in my life and indeed Samsungs tend to get hotter than other ones.
But to make your life easier... I also play the games you do and indeed it gets "very hot" and by that I mean imagine making a hot cup of tea and let it cool for 7-8 minutes...which is still hot. I left my phone playing by itself NFS from full charge till it batter emtpy. Never ever had an issue with it.
The basic principle remains. If the proc gets overheated (unless you are living on hawaii/mexico, playing NFS on the naked sun) overcooking the phone, it should still shut down by itself.

About the recoding part that might be correct as well. I am not sure which algorythm note 2 uses, but capturing the video and encoding it into .mp4 requires some serious processing power. (just try to encode some .mp4 on your desktop pc and see your i7 crank up to 100% and fans try to fly out your pc:))

Reactions: 4e6a

xartic12

Aug 21, 2012
Games tax your phone hard, even harder the better graphically it was made. The thing you should be worried about, is if your phone turns off while playing a game. That is overheating.

This reminds me of anyone who purchases a mac book pro with a dedicated GPU and complains when the laptop is scorching hot when they play games.

bushako

Mar 16, 2007
Dubai
You could try under volting the processor and over clocking it at the same time so it takes less time to execute. Although to be honest this is very normal with quad core powered phones. With everything cramped up in a tight space and little to no air circulation it's bound to heat up.

Sent from the Rabbit Hole

takumibunta

Oct 6, 2011
You could try under volting the processor and over clocking it at the same time so it takes less time to execute. Although to be honest this is very normal with quad core powered phones. With everything cramped up in a tight space and little to no air circulation it's bound to heat up.

Sent from the Rabbit Hole

I also recommend to Undervolt your device... It will help...
And of course, if you using it to play games / do do some heavy CPU usage stuffs for a long time non stop, of course it will become hot again :D

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium

abdo9119

Jan 15, 2013
It is normal! No matter what ppl will say, you have a bad ass passive cooled QUAD processor in your phone and this behavior is to be expected from it. I have many phones in my life and indeed Samsungs tend to get hotter than other ones.
But to make your life easier... I also play the games you do and indeed it gets "very hot" and by that I mean imagine making a hot cup of tea and let it cool for 7-8 minutes...which is still hot. I left my phone playing by itself NFS from full charge till it batter emtpy. Never ever had an issue with it.
The basic principle remains. If the proc gets overheated (unless you are living on hawaii/mexico, playing NFS on the naked sun) overcooking the phone, it should still shut down by itself.

About the recoding part that might be correct as well. I am not sure which algorythm note 2 uses, but capturing the video and encoding it into .mp4 requires some serious processing power. (just try to encode some .mp4 on your desktop pc and see your i7 crank up to 100% and fans try to fly out your pc:))

I have this weird issue the upper part of screen get really hooooooooot after playing only 10-15 mi I'm afraid that will damage my screen

karlada

Aug 14, 2012
Beirut
yes

hey guys, i have a similar heating problem with my note 2 but it occurred after i rooted my phone with the toolkit. the overheating happens while just using the internet browser. has anyone had this problem after root?

thanks in advance.

i have the same problem....
i use stock firmware... but just after rooting the phone i started experiencing the overheating... while chatting and messaging!! :/ i also rooted via toolkit

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
The only thing that worries me about this heat is that a lot of it is getting dumped into the MicroSD.

koalauk

Jan 23, 2006
Nowhere
Few days ago I found my note 2 overheating. I wasnt even using it. I picked it up and found that its very hot. Killed all apps and cleaeed Ram and it started cooling dow immidiatly . Who knows what was trying to fry the phone

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: weinfo

abdo9119

Jan 15, 2013

I have the same issue the whole upper part of screen became very hot after 10 min of playing NFS, thay will not damage my screen?

karlada

Aug 14, 2012
Beirut

Few days ago I found my note 2 overheating. I wasnt even using it. I picked it up and found that its very hot. Killed all apps and cleaeed Ram and it started cooling dow immidiatly . Who knows what was trying to fry the phone

I had the same problem... was ur phone plugged in the charger?if yes find anothr plug, if no try changing kernel... because i had the same thing, phone would over heat for no reason. if changing kernel doesnt fix issue try changing rom, do not ignore this because with previous experience i fried my HTC one X(board) it became useless :p tell me if this helps!

Reactions: koalauk

chery2k

Jun 13, 2012
Bay Area
Does the note 2 get really hot after gaming too long on fpse or epsxe? When I say gaming too long I mean 1-2 hours of gaming. Please someone tell me.

xartic12

Aug 21, 2012
Does the note 2 get really hot after gaming too long on fpse or epsxe? When I say gaming too long I mean 1-2 hours of gaming. Please someone tell me.

I use epsxe to play Final Fantasy Tactics and have never even noticed a slight increase in heat. I just played for 1.5 hours and still have 82% battery left.

Reactions: chery2k

chery2k

Jun 13, 2012
Bay Area
I use epsxe to play Final Fantasy Tactics and have never even noticed a slight increase in heat. I just played for 1.5 hours and still have 82% battery left.

Ty. The reason im asking this is my gt n7000 overheats till the point i really cant touch the screen after 5 minutes of gameplay on fpse or epsxe.

weinfo

Apr 23, 2013
Beijing
It sometimes came to me when I play games during charging.
It should be not harmful to your device:(

Hello XDA,
I have just bought Galaxy Note 2 (using the stock rom 4.1.2), on second day of use I have installed "Need for Speed Most Wanted". After playing about 15 minutes the upper part of Note 2 (around of the camera) started to heat up then I have stopped the app so on that it have returned to normal heat. I am so confused, do you suggest me to bring it back to store? or it is normal? have you ever had overheating on your Note 2 before? :confused:
(The mobile data was on, I was not running any apps on background, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi was off, brightness was full)

Thanks in advance! :)

xartic12

Aug 21, 2012
Ty. The reason im asking this is my gt n7000 overheats till the point i really cant touch the screen after 5 minutes of gameplay on fpse or epsxe.

That's really strange about the original note, as I still have that phone laying around. Have you tried completely uninstalling epsxe? Also, what game in specific are you playing while it's becoming hot?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    When im playing nfs ..I also experience this one.. I guess it is normal..as long as the heat is tolerable and not too much

Hello XDA,
    I have just bought Galaxy Note 2 (using the stock rom 4.1.2), on second day of use I have bought and installed "Need for Speed Most Wanted". After playing about 15 minutes the upper part of Note 2 (around of the camera) started to heat up then I have stopped the app so on that it have returned to normal heat. I am terrified, would you suggest me to bring it back to store? or it is normal? have you ever had overheating on your Note 2 before? :confused:
    (The mobile data was on, I was not running any apps on background, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi was off, brightness was full)

Thanks in advance! :)

Thats where the exynos processor is!
    It's a quad core'd beast phone without any external fans to cool off the heat. It would naturally get hot when playing GPU intensive games such as NFS.

In short its normal for it to get heated that much and all should be well.

Cheers! :D
    And also lower your brightness.. it eats alot of battery considering nfs is also a power hog.. they will make your phone really hot

These are not problems, the heat has to go somewhere. The cpu operates safely even at temperatures above 80.

If your phone suddenly gets hot for no reason, your cpu is spiking probably because an app didn't release its lock on a high cpu frequency. Kill the rogue app.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    Does your upper half of the screen became hot also when you play NFS?

Yes. And the back around camera also. This is where CPU is located.