cast local avi and mkv files from chrome browser

Search This thread

AGunz82

Feb 3, 2009
Queenz
PLEX is not working. If you did get it to work, please go into more detail in how you pulled it off. Simply installing the software does nothing and it is so unstable that trying to do anything with the software causes it to lock up.

Make sure you install the myPlex extension on Chrome.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app

dallastx

Sep 29, 2008
Dallas TX
PLEX is not working. If you did get it to work, please go into more detail in how you pulled it off. Simply installing the software does nothing and it is so unstable that trying to do anything with the software causes it to lock up.

Right click on the plex file in chrome and copy url and paste it in address bar. Now you can cast the video. "It still lags and not worth it but many people are working on apps as we speak"

mejori

Mar 8, 2008
fort myers
google drive or docs

yesterday i uploaded a video(mp4) that was taken with my phone to google drive, i then played it in the browser (it launched a youtube type screen in the browser to play the video) then i cast it and it played just fine. I have not tried to upload a movie or full length video..havent had time..maybe it will work if someone has time to try ..i will try tonight.

r.storm85

Sep 20, 2010
I just tried this on mine (file:///) and my mp4s lag real bad. Unwatchable, is there a workaround. I even downgraded to 480p...no dice.

And it seems to get worse at full screen? Or am i imagining that..its kinda hard to tell! Lol

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

mejori

Mar 8, 2008
fort myers
ok i uploaded a full length movie to google drive and was able to cast (1080p) it to my chromecas:Dt .. there was a slight delay but not enough to bother me...:victory:

myself11

Oct 11, 2009
I use rebox.net. It's by far the fastest. It usually only converts audio file from ac3 or dts to aac. Video remains untouched. Unfortunately, you have to manually select each file to convert.

abhi.abhi

Nov 19, 2009
renaming *.avi to *.mpeg does the trick

Just rename file extension to .mpeg and it will play avi file in chrome.

if you have any embedded downloader like Orbit , you have to disable it in settings - advance settings - plugins - disable plugins

Reactions: markad1 and Riff76

karanits

Sep 8, 2010
New Delhi
I already have ps3 media server installed. I was thinking that I use that + avia to work with CC by transcoding on the fly. But no such luck yet as they appear as unsupported. Anyone can make a chromecast specific conf file to be used in ps3 media server.

I don't want to use plex server. I don't want and other dlna server service running

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    renaming *.avi to *.mpeg does the trick

Just rename file extension to .mpeg and it will play avi file in chrome.

if you have any embedded downloader like Orbit , you have to disable it in settings - advance settings - plugins - disable plugins