[Q] USB OTG Cable with additional power

Search This thread

blackfire74

Apr 26, 2013
Bytom
Hello, we all know that there are USB OTG Cables with extra power plug (Y cable) but those are supposed to power external device like HDD, DVD, or anything what consumes more power than our android device can handle.

But my question is: is there any USB OTG cable with additional power plug but for simultaneous tablet / phone charging while USB stick is used?
I want to watch something long (i.e. TV Show series) from USB stick via OTG cable but I cannot simultaneously charge my tablet, so if it take too long my tablet will be out of power before I stop watching.

gooberdude

Oct 27, 2010
I call BS!!!!

I have a stock firmware, and have been using all kinds of USB cables. Found the best are made from Sony/Ericson and Blackberry. Once you have a quality cable your charging issues will go away.

Right now I am using a 7 foot cable that is from a Sony. No charging issues and works perfectly.

blackfire74

Apr 26, 2013
Bytom
Lately I found another MHL cable 2hich is called HDMI to Micro HDMI, and that micro HDMI plug looks exactly like micro USB. Will such cable work with Note 8 properly without additional power?

Spidey01

Sep 16, 2011
Duluth
The version of MHL our device supports requires a power source external to the tablet. That means the adapter itself needs to provide the power (battery or power adapter) or can pull enough off the HDMI cable, which is usually not enough juice to run the connection.

MicroHDMI and MicroUSB are also not physically compatible (won't fit the same port and different pin outs) even if they look so much a like. MHL typically uses MicroUSB at one end and full sized HDMI at the other.

b3ltazar

Jun 21, 2010
syracuse ny
On the native firmware say that this support function is disabled. Personally, I use this CivZ-FLEX-ЛУЧ-REV3.6.2 + SphereXtreme, where works flawlessly with OTG + charging resistor 64.9 K.

This is correct u need to put a 63-65 k resistor between ground and Id pin(pin 4 &5) on USB connector. Doesn't work on civatos 4.4.2 as of now. USB host works fine with regular USB host cable but no charging when u use a y cable. I use civatos 4.2.2 kernel also. Works on yyks note 2 4.3 port also..
I have test multiple times. I use a USB dac in car and need charging and USB host.

tysman

Apr 15, 2010
on my dads galaxy s5 Active it shows message that says: Do you wanna enable power sharing
is that OTG? on my S4mini nothing pops up

rich333

Sep 18, 2013
I know this thread is really old but i want to use a USB DAC so need at cable with a resistor as mentioned above but What ROM should I use now?? also is there anywhere I can buy a cable with resistor in it or do i have to do it myself?