Disassembling the EPIC 4G?

Search This thread

kzn

Nov 29, 2006
Has anyone done it before? There is a video on youtube, but it only goes as far as the keyboard. I'm looking to get to the LCD to fix/replace it because of discoloration from water damage. Anyone thinks it's possible?

A_Flying_Fox

Aug 10, 2010
I remember a thread like this being made a while ago...if you're on a computer, just search and you should find it. I can't post a link, but I think the guy in that thread replaced it succesfully.

There was also alotta chatter about insurance covering it

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

DiGi760

Nov 7, 2010
I watched someone else take mine apart. There are an awful lot of little screws, but you can definitely seperate the case, the screen, and the actual guts in about 10 or 15 minutes.

kenvan19

Dec 7, 2010
I watched someone else take mine apart. There are an awful lot of little screws, but you can definitely seperate the case, the screen, and the actual guts in about 10 or 15 minutes.

The question then is can you get it back together ;-)

Sent from my ext4 Epic 4G running Bonsai4all 1.1.3!

A_Flying_Fox

Aug 10, 2010
Here's a tear down of the Epic 4G:
http://www.chipworks.com/en/technic.../teardown-of-the-samsung-epic-4g-smart-phone/

Try asking a repair technician. The truth is, body repairs can be quite pricey - to the point where you might as well be getting a new phone in many cases.

I had TEP with my BB curve and I smashed it [was REALLLLLLY angry at my gf...she wasn't worth the BB :'( ] and I took it to a corporate store, and he fixed the screen in front of my face and I walked right out lol but that was a couple years ago

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

kzn

Nov 29, 2006
The phone still works, I just wouldn't want to look at pictures or watch videos on it since the color is all messed up. It's been about 2 weeks since the accident and it's still going! I just want to study this just for reference just in case it does go out. The replacement cost $60 on ebay, so I'd definitely do that, especially when I don't have insurance with Sprint (I think it still costs more than DIY) and I don't think Samsung fixes water damage through its warranty.

Oh well.

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out! :)

flawlessbmxr

Jan 22, 2010
New York
being a technician at an indirect sprint store, its a pain in the ass to separate the LED screen and the glass itself. the very best way to do it is either go to a 3rd party sprint store that has a full service(repair) center and either have them do an exchange if the tech is a nice guy (considering its water damage) or replace the part (which would be free as long as you have TEP). PM me with more questions if you have them

Reactions: kzn

br//0k3/n

Dec 2, 2010
Nonaya, biznez
Has anyone done it before? There is a video on youtube, but it only goes as far as the keyboard. I'm looking to get to the LCD to fix/replace it because of discoloration from water damage. Anyone thinks it's possible?
Yeah, I've done it at least 20-30 times now. It's EXTREMELY difficult to get the lcd out and you'll more than likely end up breaking your phone.

Yea, you're definitely right about the LED itself. It's close to paper thin and made of a glass type material. it will break if you try to get it out. it's glued pretty good.
I took mine apart, lots of screws. Honestly the hardest part was removing the back cover that goes over the motherboard. I used a very small flathead to pry up underneath where the little notches are on the side. There's a lot of clip points and 2 of them at the battery are very hard to get off. Once that's off, the rest is cake. Separating the screen was a non-issue, as mine was already broken/cracked.

austin420

Jan 8, 2009
kansas city mo
just to chim,e in on this ancient thread. i used a guitar pick instead of a flat head. i thought a metal screwdriver would scuff and mar up the plastic cover over the board.

Another protip: the notches on the second to last plastic cover serve a purpose -getting that back half to snap onto the phone is a huge pain in the ass, - i put a flathead into the slits and pushed down and snap snap snap snap motherboard cover was back in and my battery case didn't bulge.

dreamsforgotten

May 4, 2010
Louisiana
I took mine apart, lots of screws. Honestly the hardest part was removing the back cover that goes over the motherboard. I used a very small flathead to pry up underneath where the little notches are on the side. There's a lot of clip points and 2 of them at the battery are very hard to get off. Once that's off, the rest is cake. Separating the screen was a non-issue, as mine was already broken/cracked.

Is there a water sensor inside the phone, I've always wondered if the battery was the only place

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    being a technician at an indirect sprint store, its a pain in the ass to separate the LED screen and the glass itself. the very best way to do it is either go to a 3rd party sprint store that has a full service(repair) center and either have them do an exchange if the tech is a nice guy (considering its water damage) or replace the part (which would be free as long as you have TEP). PM me with more questions if you have them