[Guide] SD Partition for Encryption Unsuccessful (ICS Bug)

Search This thread

Woody

Retired Admin - Vacationing in Nanda Parbat
Nov 18, 2010
Immersed in Dark Matter
I am still looking at your post #93 data and had an idea the other day when you posted it but I need to check some things out first.

I am thinking not to mount the internal but to touch it with some other partition and then use that to maybe make a new directory and link it back to itself to get Odin to recognize the internal again to repartition it. Sorry it is so jumbled and not even sure it would work, let alone the commands but I am looking into it for now.

krazyhand

Jul 20, 2011
Just happened to me today :( my phone was dying on it's last little percentage of charge but managed to last all the way till I got home and so I plugged it up to the USB and the screen wasn't coming on so I figured I'd just reset it like the last 1000 times and it'd be fine, came back on to encryption bug. At least I can actually use my phone now thanks to this guide but I only have the 2gb microSD so no more flashing, taking pictures or storing music... sigh.

Woody

Retired Admin - Vacationing in Nanda Parbat
Nov 18, 2010
Immersed in Dark Matter
What ROM were you on specifically and did you happen to be plugged into your PC between the last time you rebooted and then got the error?

Btw sdcards are reasonably cheap no days. You can pick up a 16gb at retail for around $30us max. I just picked up another 32gb class 10 the other day for $36 off eBay. And yes it is real, 4th time I have bought from same purveyor. Not dealer, but purveyor.

snfu

Sep 9, 2010
This happened to me this morning. :mad: I was running SlimICS 3.3. Really hope someone comes up with an easier method but you guys did great to get where we are now!

Last edited:

silvercrown266

Aug 29, 2011
.When the encryption error happened to me, i was using IC Zenwich RC 1 then, and i have to admit that i've also flashed Passion and Euphoria prior to Zen when the bug hit my vibe.
And if my memory serves me right i had my phone connected on the PC thru the USB at that time. I think i' m one of the the 1st victims...

I was able to odin back to stock jfd, (by doing it several times)

@snfu - actually this method is very straightforward
It will be easier if u have card reader on your PC for easy transfer of files to your micro SD.
And if your successful installing the ICS Passion Rom you can forget about adb step in changing the vold.fstab instead, you can use the Root browser app that comes with the passion to change the vold.fstab
Good luck man!

Ironically Im now using ICS Slim 3.3 Rom, i think its sick!
I love Zen too!

fagnerkof

Jan 25, 2012
São Paulo
I am still looking at your post #93 data and had an idea the other day when you posted it but I need to check some things out first.

I am thinking not to mount the internal but to touch it with some other partition and then use that to maybe make a new directory and link it back to itself to get Odin to recognize the internal again to repartition it. Sorry it is so jumbled and not even sure it would work, let alone the commands but I am looking into it for now.

I kinda got the idea... But dunno how to do this and got to work...

Anyway, I was in Passion v13. The encrtypion bug ocurred when I was away from home, so I did reset without looking here first. The bad thing is I cannot access external memory too...

Merio90

Dec 21, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I kinda got the idea... But dunno how to do this and got to work...

Anyway, I was in Passion v13. The encrtypion bug ocurred when I was away from home, so I did reset without looking here first. The bad thing is I cannot access external memory too...

You may not be able to access the external SD card directly from your phone but here are some other options that do not involve adb which are probably the easiest way to get cwm.

Copy CWM update.zip by:

1. You can remove your sd card from your phone. Insert that very sd card into another phone or device which has an sd slot.

2. You can use an sd card adapter. (If your pc has a sd card reader)

3. Or you can do it the hard way adb.
adb push update.zip /emmc/

Your choice.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

snfu

Sep 9, 2010
I was able to odin back to stock jfd, (by doing it several times)

You got it to run stock jfd on internal or no?

@snfu - actually this method is very straightforward
It will be easier if u have card reader on your PC for easy transfer of files to your micro SD.

That's the problem. Only a cheap usb adapter that works half the time. :/

Ironically Im now using ICS Slim 3.3 Rom, i think its sick!

Yes, I think best ICS out there.

silvertag

Sep 18, 2009
Montreal
Can someone with the bug go into recovery then adb shell and post is result (Or by PM) of the getprop command ? I'm curious to see if it works and if it does what it reports.

EDIT: If anyone can also provide a getprop after a normal boot (Encryption error message). I want to check if the properties report the encryption active or not. Thanks

Last edited:

krazyhand

Jul 20, 2011
What ROM were you on specifically and did you happen to be plugged into your PC between the last time you rebooted and then got the error?

Btw sdcards are reasonably cheap no days. You can pick up a 16gb at retail for around $30us max. I just picked up another 32gb class 10 the other day for $36 off eBay. And yes it is real, 4th time I have bought from same purveyor. Not dealer, but purveyor.

I was using ICS passion 13.1 and yes I did have it plugged into the PC when I rebooted just before the error, trying to provide any information I can because no one wants to lose all that internal storage and if I can help solve the problem I'm down. To answer your thing about the SD cards yeah i'll be picking one up probably later today after work, I need my music and pictures. :D

silvercrown266

Aug 29, 2011
You got it to run stock jfd on internal or no?
At 1st i thought it was running on internal lol! But when i boot without the SD card that`s the time i realized the internal is inaccessible, the phone was stuck on the vibrant logo and after further investigation jfd was installed on the 2gig partition of my SD...

Yes, I think best ICS out there.
Coudn`t agree more... I`ve tried almost everything and by far Slim is the best out there for vibrant! (IMHO it could be the Bionix of ICS) :D Zen is next...

snfu

Sep 9, 2010
Coudn`t agree more... I`ve tried almost everything and by far Slim is the best out there for vibrant! (IMHO it could be the Bionix of ICS) :D Zen is next...

Haha love the Bionix of ICS quote

Either way, wish this hadn't happened. Sold my phone this afternoon. Now I just need to find a replacement to hold me over until contract is up.

krazyhand

Jul 20, 2011
I want to actually get mine as far as being able to flash more roms and actually be able to use my sdcard as a work around but I can't even seem to get into stock recovery. **** sucks.

edit: Actually got it into recovery and into CMW even but when it I try and re-partition i only get as far as 1gb of re-partition and if I try doing that it throws no errors and says done 2 seconds later.

2nd edit: I'm stupid and can't read lol, the 5th post described my problem and am progressing from there.

3rd and final: Got everything working as it should, also couldn't find my device through adb but was able to do it through root explorer. Thanks a lot : D

Last edited:

Viruss57

Dec 18, 2011
Alright guys.. I would really appreciate some help at this point. I've been searching the last few days, trying different things, and I've tried everything I've been able to dig up. I cannot get this to work at all.

I have a Vibrant and was rolling with the Passion 13.1 rom with no issues whatsoever for a long time. It was perfectly fine for weeks, very smooth with no issues at all. I plugged in my charger the other night, was distracted while I thought it was charging, and then I looked over and saw the shining 'ANDROID' logo in the center of my screen. I was not using any battery mods or anything like that. I was NOT connected to my PC - in fact, I hadn't used my usb cable for weeks prior to this 'Encryption Unsuccessful' fiasco the other night. However, like I said, it did happen roughly ten minutes after I plugged my phone into an ac adapter.

With that said, I've tried following the directions in this topic. After doing steps 1-8 with no problems, I can't get past Step 9. When I flash an ICS rom, I can't get it to boot up. I've tried SlimICS, Passion, and Euphoria. Whenever I boot it up, it goes straight to CWM Recovery. It's basically a bootloop because I can't get past CWM and into the OS. Also, just for the heck of it I tried doing the adb commands as well. My phone is recognized and I see the serial number, and remount is hit or miss, but I cannot pull vold.fstab. Sometimes it looks like it went through (gives a message about the kb transferred per second) but it never shows up in the platform-tools folder. Most often, I've gotten the message saying that "/system/etc/vold.fstab" does not exist.

I'm really stuck at this point. I had to do the advice in post #10 so I could partition my sd card, which worked. As of now, I'm staying at Step 2 with a half-functional Froyo. For storage, everything says '00,' 'Unavailable,' etc. I can get into download mode, I've got adb set up, odin works, etc. I'm just stuck.

Also, I do have Gingerbread bootloaders if that makes a difference (from when I installed Passion). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

silvercrown266

Aug 29, 2011
Edited post: (forgot some steps)

Do these extra step.
After installing an ICS Rom (try using IC Zen) go into its recovery and REPARTITION again.
After repartition you need to power off (pull battery out) and copy the update.zip and the ICS Rom in the root of your SD Card.
Go into recovery and reinstall update.zip again, if you dont see the new recovery do it again.
While in the NEW recovery reset to factory, wipe cache, and install again the ICS Rom.

Try IC Zenwich it worked for me very well after i got a bootloop after instaling Passion.

If you are still in a bootloop, try doing these same step using another ICS Rom.

Note:
After you successfully repartition your SD you dont need to go back to step 1.
Stay on the ICS recovery and from there you can do the the usual factory reset, wiping cache, flashing another ICS Rom.

See if this work

Last edited:

Viruss57

Dec 18, 2011
Thanks for the reply.

I tried your instructions but I'm still getting some issues. When I try to reinstall update.zip, I get an error:

E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 0)
Installation aborted.

The file is certainly on the sd card, no doubt. Keep in mind I did have to use ICS_Passion_v13_cleanup.zip so I could partition my sd card.. I flashed that once again since basically that 'is' my update.zip and that was fine.

Tried to install Zen, but now I'm stuck in a bootloop with Deficient Touch Recovery v5.5.0.4. I've tried Passion/Euphoria/Slim as well and they all just put me into a bootloop with the regular ICS recovery.

Any ideas? Should I just try to do everything over once again?

Thanks.

Update: To clarify, Zen did flash fine without throwing any errors. However, whenever I boot, it goes straight to recovery every time (the Deficient one). I'll sit tight at this point I guess. Wiping cache and factory reset don't make a difference with the boot.

More info: ADB recognizes my phone and can also mount fine. Pulling doesn't seem to do anything, possibly since I've never gotten any ICS rom to boot from the external and the files haven't been created. I have the GB bootloaders so VOL+ and POWER are what normally put me into download mode. When I do that, I get a screen with small red text and POWER REST OR UNKNOWN UPLOAD MODE in yellow lettering. I can get into download mode fine if I hold vol+/vol-, plug in the usb, and then put in the battery while holding vol+/vol-. I might try to go back to the regular bootloaders just to see if it's the GB bootloaders (from when I had Passion) messing things up.

Update: Flashed Vibrant Stock FROYO Bootloaders, and then reflashed GB bootloaders after that. Took about five minutes, but Zen booted up! I've got the 'Insert an SD card before using the camera' error, but it's looking good from here. Onwards with the guide I go!

Final update: Good to go, big thanks to Silver and to the OP for the guide. Used Root Browser to edit vold.fstab. No errors when I open up the camera anymore, and Zen is crazy smooth. Storage looks perfect as well.. 13GB is more than enough space for me anyways. Hopefully there'll be some sort of fix for the (now dead) internal memory sometime in the future. It's nice to have my phone back - well done fellas! Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: silvercrown266

fagnerkof

Jan 25, 2012
São Paulo
You may not be able to access the external SD card directly from your phone but here are some other options that do not involve adb which are probably the easiest way to get cwm.

Copy CWM update.zip by:

1. You can remove your sd card from your phone. Insert that very sd card into another phone or device which has an sd slot.

2. You can use an sd card adapter. (If your pc has a sd card reader)

3. Or you can do it the hard way adb.
adb push update.zip /emmc/

Your choice.

Using the PC, I put the update.zip on a 2gb sd card and then tried to apply update.zip through recovery menu, but not only it didn't work, as well it deleted all the sd content (it only tries to apply the update.zip from /sdcard/; not from /emmc/ and I don't have the option to do this either). Looks like I'm out of ideas of what to do now.

Last edited:

silvercrown266

Aug 29, 2011
Thanks for the reply.

I tried your instructions but I'm still getting some issues. When I try to reinstall update.zip, I get an error:

E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 0)
Installation aborted.

The file is certainly on the sd card, no doubt. Keep in mind I did have to use ICS_Passion_v13_cleanup.zip so I could partition my sd card.. I flashed that once again since basically that 'is' my update.zip and that was fine.

Tried to install Zen, but now I'm stuck in a bootloop with Deficient Touch Recovery v5.5.0.4. I've tried Passion/Euphoria/Slim as well and they all just put me into a bootloop with the regular ICS recovery.

Any ideas? Should I just try to do everything over once again?

Thanks.

Update: To clarify, Zen did flash fine without throwing any errors. However, whenever I boot, it goes straight to recovery every time (the Deficient one). I'll sit tight at this point I guess. Wiping cache and factory reset don't make a difference with the boot.

More info: ADB recognizes my phone and can also mount fine. Pulling doesn't seem to do anything, possibly since I've never gotten any ICS rom to boot from the external and the files haven't been created. I have the GB bootloaders so VOL+ and POWER are what normally put me into download mode. When I do that, I get a screen with small red text and POWER REST OR UNKNOWN UPLOAD MODE in yellow lettering. I can get into download mode fine if I hold vol+/vol-, plug in the usb, and then put in the battery while holding vol+/vol-. I might try to go back to the regular bootloaders just to see if it's the GB bootloaders (from when I had Passion) messing things up.

I think you are making a headway now... i will also note that when i did this fix i used just the Froyo Bootloaders. I did not change to GB Bootloaders throughout this fix. So your GB Bootloaders could be a factor... I never bothered to mention this bacause i though bootloaders won't matter...

Update: Flashed Vibrant Stock FROYO Bootloaders, and then reflashed GB bootloaders after that. Took about five minutes, but Zen booted up! I've got the 'Insert an SD card before using the camera' error, but it's looking good from here. Onwards with the guide I go!

Everythings looking good now, it's now a matter of changing some text of vold.fstab as stated in the OP so that your phone will read/recognize the partition in your SD.

After everything has settled... it's now time to install the ICS Rom you like.
It will be clean install this time, after all the chaos and struggle to make everything to work... I would suggest the IC Zen or the Slim not because i loved this Roms :eek: but because they are newer Roms that have lots of fixes in them.

The process will be like the usual way of installing any new Rom.

-Save your fave Rom in the root of your SD.
-Wipe date/factory reset
-Wipe cache partition
-Wipe Dalvik in Advance ( i don't know if it help but i do it anyway)
-Format System in Mounts and Storage ( i think this is needed for any new install)
-Flash Lippols Kernel Cleaning Script (it adds freshness to the newly installed Rom just to be sure that there's no ghost of previous kernels left)
-Flash your fave Rom!
-Reboot and once again change the text of your vold.fstab ( you do this every time you flash new ICS Rom)
-Let it settle and Enjoy your fave ICS Rom!

Note:
I'm running Slim 3.4 now, to me it's the slickest, most stable out of the box i have no issues at all (except for a few bugs here and there in the custom features of the Rom which i guess is normal) and ICZen is sick too!
I usually use "Root Browser" in changing vold.fstab, just download it from the Play Store. To me, it's the most convenient...

Anyway, Goodluck! Hope this help!

[/COLOR]
Final update: Good to go, big thanks to Silver and to the OP for the guide. Used Root Browser to edit vold.fstab. No errors when I open up the camera anymore, and Zen is crazy smooth. Storage looks perfect as well.. 13GB is more than enough space for me anyways. Hopefully there'll be some sort of fix for the (now dead) internal memory sometime in the future. It's nice to have my phone back - well done fellas! Thank you.

Im happy that you have your phone back to life!
Thanks OP the most! Hit those thanks button! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Viruss57

Merio90

Dec 21, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Using the PC, I put the update.zip on a 2gb sd card and then tried to apply update.zip through recovery menu, but not only it didn't work, as well it deleted all the sd content (it only tries to apply the update.zip from /sdcard/; not from /emmc/ and I don't have the option to do this either). Looks like I'm out of ideas of what to do now.

Just so you know the update.zip is CWM recovery. If you still have access to CWM just proceed as i mentioned in the first post and create the partition. Also since you have a just a 2gb sd card i recommend you use a smaller size than 2gb when creating the partition. Otherwise you will have no space at all so save music etc. You should get a larger sd card.

Open odin and reflash the 2.2 tar listed in the first post. Once it has finished flashing. Copy the update.zip if you already haven't. Power off your phone. Enter recovery using the 3 button combo. Once stock recovery shows up hit reinstall packages until it finally installs. Then proceed to create the partition. Then follow the rest of the steps in the guide.

Reactions: fagnerkof

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS GUIDE IS ONLY FOR ICS USERS WHO HAVE ENCOUNTERED THE ENCRYPTION UNSUCCESSFUL SCREEN ON THEIR PHONE. If you have no idea what the ENCRYPTION UNSUCCESSFUL screen is disregard this guide.

First and foremost I would like to thank and give credit to 'cgugino' for his guide over at the Captivate forums. Thanks to tabthelab and Woodrube for their helpful advice and guidence.

cgugino's guide (captivate)
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1447303

This is a similar guide if not identical to his guide for "fixing" the Encryption Unsuccessful bug that occurs in certain ICS roms (DocMasters V5 confirmed). Not sure about other ICS roms.Here is a screenshot of the "Encryption Unsuccessful" screen that will eventually appear on your ICS rom.
    IMG_2301.JPG

If you have already selected reset phone well don't panic just proceed. It will not make a difference regardless.

Note: If you still have access to CWM not stock recovery proceed to step 6 and create your new partition. But REMEMBER TO BACK UP YOUR SD CARD AS IT WILL BE WIPED COMPLETELY. Do this by going under 'mounts and storage' > 'mount /emmc' or 'mount usb storage' in CWM

DO THIS GUIDE ONLY IF YOU HAVE ALREADY FLASHED BACK TO STOCK JFD THROUGH ODIN OR IF YOU NO LONGER HAVE ACCESS TO CWM. OTHERWISE READ THE NOTE ABOVE

WITH THAT BEING SAID THIS GUIDE DOES NOT FIX THE BUG. IT IS A WORKAROUND TO CREATE A PARTITION ON YOUR SD CARD TO BE ABLE TO USE YOUR "BRICKED" PHONE AGAIN

So lets begin:

Tools/Files Needed

-ADB (Android Debugging Bridge) and Android SDK must be set up on your PC.
    Here is a guide that shows how to setup ADB and SDK with the necessary drivers:
    http://theunlockr.com/2009/10/06/how-to-set-up-adb-usb-drivers-for-android-devices/

-You need the latest ODIN 1.7 or whatever the latest version is along with the .pit file found here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=848737

-Download this froyo .tar and extract it to the same directory where you have odin.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=833024&page=49

-Download CWM from here:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/stockodinjfd/files/update.zip/download

-Download any ICS rom :) Yes an ICS rom. You will use later to flash in CWM.

-You need a microSD card 8gb or larger which you will use to create the partition.

Thats it I think.

Here are the steps:

1. Enter download mode. Remove your battery/Then insert your battery/ hold both Volume Up and Down rocker and plug in your usb cable. You should now see the yellow android dude and it should say "Downloading".

2. Open odin and select the .pit file along with the froyo .tar file you've downloaded from above. Make sure "Re-Partition" is checked under options in odin. Click start and patiently wait for the process to be completed. DO NOT UNPLUG YOUR PHONE YET
    Once odin finishes wait till the phone boots up with the new froyo rom youve just flashed.

3. Once your phone boots up and is setup copy CWM update.zip to the root of your external SD card. Do this by selecting the "mount usb storage" option in the notification bar.
    Or
    You can also copy the update.zip using a sd card adapter (only if your pc has an sd card reader).
    You can use another phone or device which has a micro sd card slot. Just insert the sd card and plug in that phone via usb and copy update.zip.
    You can also use adb to copy the update.zip.

adb remount
    adb push update.zip /mnt/emmc

You must have the update.zip in the "platform-tools" folder in the android-sdk before executing the commands above.

4. BACKUP YOUR EXTERNAL SD CARD WHILE YOU CAN. IT WILL BE ERASED WHEN CREATING THE NEW PARTITION

5. Unplug your phone. Enter recovery mode using the 3 button combo or through adb using the following command: adb reboot recovery

Hit reinstall packages in recovery if CWM is not set yet. It will eventually install just keep clicking reinstall packages.

6. Once your are in CWM create the partition by going to 'advanced' > 'Partition SD Card' > Choose your data partition size 2gb is fine > Swap size 0M > You will get an error but just ignore it.
    WAIT WAIT and WAIT it will take more than 5mins to create the partition. Just be patient it will eventually finish.

7. Connect your phone and while still in CWM mount your "USB Storage" under 'mounts and storage' > 'Mount USB Storage'. Then copy your ICS rom along with the update.zip (just incase) to flash. Don't flash update.zip though just keep it on your sd for future use.

8. Now while still in CWM umount your USB Storage. Go Back and select Wipe data factory rest / clear cache. Then install the ICS rom you've downloaded and flash it. (I used ICS Passion v13) Again be patient and wait till it finishes flashing and ignore any errors.

9. Once it has finished flashing it will eventually reboot. Or select 'reboot system now' in CWM if it already hasn't. Now this part you will have to be extremely patient. It may take up to 10mins or more to boot up. Once finished just set up your system using the setup wizard on your phone if there is one.

10. Check to see if your new partition has been successfully created by going to: Settings/Storage. You may see that your new partition is still 'unavailable' or it may say something like 00 for available storage. Don't worry just proceed to the next step.

11. Now to see if your partition is mounted properly. (Most likely not)Open the camera app and check to see if you get a message saying "Insert an SD card before using the camera." or something along those lines. If you get this message proceed to the following step. If not well you are lucky :) And you are now finished.

12. Now get ready to use adb so make sure adb debugging is enabled in Settings/Developer Options/ Android debugging [checked]

Open a command prompt on your pc in directory in which you installed your android sdk package. It should be something like this
    C:\android-sdk\platform-tools

While in the platform-tools folder click on a blank space and Hold the SHIFT key + RIGHT CLICK > and select 'Open Command Window Here'. Now a command window should show up. If it doesnt show up well you didnt set up the SDK package properly go back to the guide which i suggested and make sure you have it set up properly or else you will not be able to issue commands.

13. With the command window open and your phone plugged in. Enter these commands to swap your external sdcard with your internal storage. This is the part where you will now use your new partition as your primary storage or internal storage.

Type in the following code into the command window or copy and paste it (easier) Remember to press the enter key after every command:

1) adb devices "This is to check if your device is properly attached"

2) adb remount "This is to check if your device is properly mounted"

3) adb pull /system/etc/vold.fstab "This will copy the vold.fstab file to the platform-tools folder on your PC."

3a) Now open the vold.fstab file you've just copied to your PC located in platform-tools. Right click vold.fstab and open it with notepad for editing.

Or you can also use a root explorer type of app on your phone
    to edit the vold.fstab file. This might be the easier option. Just
    remember to reboot your phone after editing the file.

3b) With the vold.fstab file open in notepad edit the following lines:
    (They should be at the very end of the file and look something like this)

Line 1:
    internal sdcarddev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard 1 /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.0/mmc_host/mmc0#

Replace both instances of sdcard with emmc

Line 2:
    external sdcarddev_mount emmc /mnt/emmc auto /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.2/mmc_host/mmc2

Replace both instances of emmc with sdcard

Now that you have finished editing vold.fstab save the file close it and proceed to the next step.

3c) Now copy the edited vold.fstab file to your new partition by using the following commands:

adb remount "Followed by"

adb push vold.fstab /system/etc/vold.fstab "The file should now be overwritten."

REBOOT YOUR PHONE IF YOU DON'T GET ANY ERRORS WHEN EXECUTING THE COMMAND ABOVE.

(READ BELOW "IN RED" BEFORE REBOOTING IF YOU GET AN ERROR IN THE COMMAND WINDOW)

YOU ARE NOW FINISHED. AND SHOULD BE ABLE TO USE YOUR PHONE AGAIN WITH THE NEW PARTITION MOUNTED PROPERLY

IF YOU GET AN ERROR IN THE COMMAND WINDOW saying permission denied or something enter the following commands.

adb push vold.fstab /emmc/vold.fstab

adb shell

su

mount -o remount rw /system

cp /emmc/vold.fstab /system/etc/vold.fstab

chmod 644 /system/etc/vold.fstab

mount -o remount ro /system

exit

exit

adb reboot
    "This command will reboot your device so don't panic."

Once you have entered the commands above. Your phone will reboot. And the new vold.fstab file will be programmed to mount your new partition as your primary storage. And you should be finished by now. Now to test it open the camera app once again and see if you get any error messages. If so repeat step(s) 13. Otherwise You should now see that you have 1.88gb internal storage for apps etc and about 13 gb for the user (Assuming you have a 16gb) It should look something like this:
    Screenshot_2012-04-03-21-41-55.png

(Continued)
    Screenshot_2012-04-03-21-42-07.png

YOUR ARE NOW FINISHED AND SHOULD BE ABLE TO USE YOUR PHONE ONCE AGAIN. DOWNLOAD AN APP FROM THE MARKET TO SEE IF EVERYTHING WENT WELL. ALSO MOUNT YOUR PHONE TO YOUR PC TO SEE IF THE NEW PARTITION IS BEING RECOGNIZED.

Notes:

-Those of you who are new to ADB remember to hit enter after every command. dont just copy and paste all of them and expect them to work.

-You must perform step(s) 13 everytime after flashing a new rom. Reason for this is because the new vold.fstab file in the new rom will overwrite the old one you have edited in step 13. So keep that in mind.

-I have only tried this with the latest build of ICS Passion v13. It may work for other ICS roms aswell but i cannot confirm. I have tried it with a froyo rom but was unable to successfully mount the new partition. As for GB roms well you are going to have to try that your self. All you have to do is edit the vold.fstab file (Step 13) they should be identical if not similar.

-You can also edit the vold.fstab file using "Root explorer" app on your phone if you have it.

-Remember you no longer have access to your old internal memory since it is gone and I don't know what happened to it. SO SAY GOODBYE TO YOUR OLD INTERNAL STORAGE.

-Do not remove your SD CARD while your phone is on. It contains all of your system files and will probably make your phone blow up if you do so.

-If you haven't already flashed back to stock 2.1 and still have access to CWM you can skip to step 6 and create the partition from there. But remember to BACKUP YOUR SD CARD because it will be wiped.
    I haven't tried this method but i assume it will work the same. Give it a try and let me know what happens

Good Luck and feel free to ask me any questions. I will be more than happy to assist you if you need any help.
    so just now my internal Sd came back to life. I just went to gallery and all of a sudden i saw my old docks and icons and i was like whhhhaa! lol I went to file manager and all my files and folders are there so i guess time to format and partition again :)
    does anyone know how to change the vold.fstab to work with jellybean? (unofficial cm10 port test build ->http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1775525&page=10)

Armed with a little logic and a bit of luck, on my 5th try i manage to change and made the vold.fstab worked for Jelly Bean!
    Rejoice all you vibrant EU bug victims lol!
    Not much to change just compare what i've posted here with your actual "vold.fstab" and change it accordingly... Take note of the spaces, etc...
    I use "root browser" to change it, it's soooo much easy... just select the vold.fstab and hit edit, save and reboot! Test if your camera is working.

If you figured into a bootloop it means you did something wrong... Dont panic, Go to Recovery and open File Manager, Find your vold.fstab and delete! and rename vold.fstab.bak to vold.fstab, Off and Reboot... Change your vold.fstab as accurate as you can...

Hint: Just interchange the /sdcard1 auto / and /sdcard0 1 /

Give some love and hit those Thanks button!

voldfstab.png
    so just now my internal Sd came back to life ...

FANTASTIC-O!! That is wonderful news! It's about time this happened to a Vibe Vet (ie. a "friend of ours" ... that was for you, Woody). Hehe. :laugh:

Do you remember the last flashing sequences (roms, kernels, anything note worthy)? Anything out-of-the-ordinary you did with your phone? Did you hold your breath while flashing? Dance a jig? Keep one foot off the ground? Lol.

One of these days (sigh), I'll finally get to backup all that "stuff" (on my internal sd) that I should've backed up BEFORE I got bit. Live & learn, eh?
    Well, three weeks after my first encounter with the Encryption Unsuccessful screen, I got it once again (this time with Zen). This time was a bit different though. I did not have a usb cable or charger connected. I was loading up a page in Chrome Beta, my phone went unresponsive, and then turned off. I pulled out the battery and turned it back on only to see the dreaded Encryption Unsuccessful message again. I rebooted multiple times, tried a bunch of battery pulls, and tried everything I possibly could through CWM recovery. Nothing. Absolutely could not get around the Encryption Unsuccessful message.. I figured I would have to go back to square one.

I got home, and then I thought to myself.. "Hey, since my phone runs entirely off of the external sd card now because of my first experience with this bug, why not try to run a chkdsk on it?" I could still see all of my data on my sd card in My Computer (which was expected), but I proceeded anyway. So, I opened the command prompt and ran a quick chkdsk command just for the hell of it. Sure enough, I popped my sd card back into my phone, and it booted right up. Everything was still there, just as if this error never happened a second time. Of course I still can't do anything with the internal, but at least I don't have to mess around and go through this whole guide again.

TLDR: The lesson here is that it's a pretty easy fix if you get this error AGAIN after you've already completed this guide. Don't go through the whole guide again, just troubleshoot. For me, it was as easy as plugging my sd card into my computer (with an adapater of course) and running the following command (J was my drive letter, too):

chkdsk /x /f J: ...

EU ... Round #2 ( ie. "It's deja vu all over again" ).

Got hit again (after having been hit the first time back in late April). This time on my external sd after having used the vold.fstab swap. Still never used MTP to connect to PC (UMS only). Had flashed numerous ICS & JB roms / kernels since then (so there's no way to blame one source).

Within the last two days had flashed JB roms: Helly Bean 20120911 (CWM6) and Slim Bean v2.4.0 (CWM6). Eventually reverted back to ICZen 1.8.3 (subZero #128, CWM5 v5.5.0.4) and then updated the kernel to subZero #167-VC (CWM6 v6.0.1.0)

Note (@Woodrube): I had wiped data via CWM6 (JB rom), flashed ICZ 1.8.3, and then wiped data / factory reset again via CWM5 v5.5.0.4 (subZero #128) - ie. so the last recovery to wipe data was CWM5.

Phone had been sitting. I came back to the phone, unlocked it, and closed out an app that was running. Toggled WiFi and launched another app. Then, the phone immediately went into the "ICZen" boot animation (ie. without showing the BL or kernel splashes). The boot animation ran for a suspiciously long time (but didn't notice any "dimming"), so I rebooted the phone. Everything booted normally ... then, I was eventually greeted with that unpleasant EU screen (sigh). I pulled the battery & rebooted several times. Each time ending up at the same EU screen.

Encouraged by Viruss57's experience above, I removed the external sdcard and inserted it into my Tab (SGT7). Plugged it into the PC (via UMS), and Windows Explorer detected the card just fine. All the contents appeared intact, so I transferred several updated files to my PC succesfully. Then ran chkdsk from a command prompt - ie. chkdsk /x /f H: (H: = my drive letter) ~ "Windows has checked the file system and found no problems."

I inserted the external sdcard back into the Vibrant:

* Booted up ... then got the EU screen again (sigh).
    * Pulled battery & booted ... same EU screen.
    * Pulled battery, booted recovery, & flashed ICZ 1.8.3 without wiping ... EU screen.
    * Pulled battery, booted recovery, FULL WIPE, & flashed ICZ 1.8.3 ... rom booted OK!!

So, that EU screen finally buggered off by doing a full wipe before reflashing the rom. Good news is the data on the external sd was intact. The bad news is I had to factory reset again. And so the story goes ... live to flash another day. :D

---------- Post added at 06:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 AM ----------

Hey yo back at you lol. Grrr my phone used to work with every ROM but something changed around mid sep nightlies. Now for starters stock kernel goes to recovery loop with SD card marker not found error. Devil kernel goes straight to recovery no matter what. I find it odd that I can boot every jb ROM with semaphore but nothing else works. I even partitioned the card with mini tool. I love semaphore kernel its very good but I d still like to find out ghd reason though. It makes me so cross not knowing that why is it happening lol

I was mistaken about the HB version I previously flashed - ie. it was actually 20120911 (and not 20120919).

After going through EU again, I was in the mood for some Jelly Beans. Ended up a rather skunky tasting experience this go-round. :(

* Helly Bean 20120919 (Devil CWM6 v6.0.1.0) = boots back into recovery.
    * Helly Bean 20120921 (Devil CWM6 v6.0.1.0) = boots back into recovery.
    * CM10 20120921 Nightly (CWM6 v6.0.1.4) = endless boot loop.
    * CM10 20120921 + Devil3 v1.5.2 = boots back into recovery.
    * CM10 20120921 + Semaphore JB v2.0.7v = phone simply shuts off (black screen)!
    * Slim Bean v2.5.0 (Semaphore JB 2.0.7sv, CWM6 v6.0.1.1) = works ... cool beans.

Considering HB 20120911 flashed ok, you may be right about some funky shnizzles going on since mid-September. :eek: