Switching from one ROM to another

Search This thread

xcrazydx

Feb 3, 2012
That's a problem on your end, that rom is flawless and you flashed it wrong

xcrazydx

Feb 3, 2012
This is the guide I used to flash the ROM

http://www.traemcneely.com/2011/12/27/install-custom-rom-at-ciq-removed-short-review-instructions/

I compared it with ones on xda and it was identical but more noob friendly which I preferred. I dont know what I couldve possibly done wrong.. I followed EVERYTHING step by step. I love everything about this ROM except this one major annoyance.

It was a bad flash or bad download. Try to redownload and check the md5, then simply reflash it making sure to follow instructions and wipe properly

penance

Apr 23, 2012
Sorry, but may I ask what an md5 is? And the specific ROM I want

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1377087

doesn't provide instructions, at least that I know of so I followed this guide

http://www.traemcneely.com/2011/12/27/install-custom-rom-at-ciq-removed-short-review-instructions/

Only problem I can think of that I made was flashing the RC 6.75 Stock ROM and then wiping cache partition and flashing the 7.4 Stock Nonewipeupdate right afterwards which is exactly what the guide asked for. Was I suppose to reboot after flashing the stock RC 6.75 ROM before flashing the 7.4 Stock Nonewipeupdate?

xcrazydx

Feb 3, 2012

Only problem I can think of that I made was flashing the RC 6.75 Stock ROM and then wiping cache partition and flashing the 7.4 Stock Nonewipeupdate right afterwards which is exactly what the guide asked for. Was I suppose to reboot after flashing the stock RC 6.75 ROM before flashing the 7.4 Stock Nonewipeupdate?

You need to flash the base and boot it before flashing an update, like you said.

Before flashing any rom this is a general procedure

wipe data/factory reset 3x
Wipe cache 3x
wipe dalvik cache 3x
format system 3x
flash radio if need be
flash rom
reboot
dont touch phone for at least 10 mins
set up basics

if it has an update

reboot to cwm
wipe cache 3x
wipe dalvik cache 3x
flash update
reboot

Reactions: penance

penance

Apr 23, 2012
Okk. ONE LAST question. The SkyRocket ICS (2.3.5 Gingerbread) ROM I'm using doesn't have or provide a radio file to DL on the page which I linked earlier. Does that imply that this particular ROM doesn't need it? Or am I suppose to find a radio to flash before flashing the ROM and update?

Thanks alot for your help/advice!! Really appreciate it! :)

xcrazydx

Feb 3, 2012
Okk. ONE LAST question. The SkyRocket ICS (2.3.5 Gingerbread) ROM I'm using doesn't have or provide a radio file to DL on the page which I linked earlier. Does that imply that this particular ROM doesn't need it? Or am I suppose to find a radio to flash before flashing the ROM and update?

Thanks alot for your help/advice!! Really appreciate it! :)

In about phone, what does it say for baseband? Kj2 is the 2.3.5 stock radio

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

boobah204

Apr 3, 2012
Atlanta
If the radio you're using is working and you're flashing from gb to gb, you shouldn't have to worry about the radio. You'll still have the same one. Radios flash separately from roms. I don't think you'll NEED to flash a new radio unless you change to an ICS rom.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

penance

Apr 23, 2012
Android version 2.3.6
Baseband version I727UCKJ2
Kernal version 2.6.35.11+
Build number Sky-ICS RC7.4 Stock

When I purchased my phone and after I rooted it, I was v2.3.5 but after I flashed my first ROM (which is my current ROM) the android version changed to v2.3.6. So if KJ2 is the stock radio for v2.3.5 is there a possibility my problem of not having the att logo and wifi signal on the top of my phone due to not having the correct radio for this ROM? or for v2.3.6 in general? Or is it from what you said earlier, my flashing process was wrong? Or a mixture or not having the correct radio and flashing wrong? :(

penance

Apr 23, 2012
If the radio you're using is working and you're flashing from gb to gb, you shouldn't have to worry about the radio. You'll still have the same one. Radios flash separately from roms. I don't think you'll NEED to flash a new radio unless you change to an ICS rom.

Well, I don't really know whether or not the radio is working. I suppose in my case it is working since I am able to recieve and make calls, text, and go on the web. However, I am unable to see the att logo, wifi/cell signal on the top of my phone. I don't know if this problem has anything to do with the radio though. Sorry for my lack of understanding..
I'm assuming the problem is more my fault in terms of not flashing correctly. I have no idea whether or not I need a separate radio for this ROM.

boobah204

Apr 3, 2012
Atlanta
The signals at the top wouldn't be affected by he radio. You would most likely get them back if you reflashed your from or flashed another. As long as it's a 2.3.5 or 2.3.6. And also follow the instructions (usually pretty standard, wipe data factory reset a few times, wipe cache partition, advanced, wipe dalvik cache a few times, go back, mounts and storage, format system a few times. Then install zip from SD card) oh and always backup first and make sure you can restore the backup. But yeah if you can make calls and use internet, your radio should be OK.

Reactions: penance

penance

Apr 23, 2012
The signals at the top wouldn't be affected by he radio. You would most likely get them back if you reflashed your from or flashed another. As long as it's a 2.3.5 or 2.3.6. And also follow the instructions (usually pretty standard, wipe data factory reset a few times, wipe cache partition, advanced, wipe dalvik cache a few times, go back, mounts and storage, format system a few times. Then install zip from SD card) oh and always backup first and make sure you can restore the backup. But yeah if you can make calls and use internet, your radio should be OK.

Alright thanks alot for your guide and clarification. Still learning day by day:cool:

xcrazydx

Feb 3, 2012
Alright thanks alot for your guide and clarification. Still learning day by day:cool:

Just do this and skip the radio step

You need to flash the base and boot it before flashing an update, like you said.

Wipe cache 3x
wipe dalvik cache 3x
format system 3x
flash radio if need be
flash rom
reboot
set up basics

if it has an update

reboot to cwm
wipe cache 3x
wipe dalvik cache 3x
flash update
reboot

chompy630

Apr 10, 2012
I would try out the nexusmod zero ics I'm running it now and I like it a lot more than nexus 4. Also when I went from the from you are on now I had to do a super wipe before I could get the ics rom to work without bootloop

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Wipe cache 3x
    wipe dalvik cache 3x
    format system 3x
    flash radio if need be
    flash rom
    reboot
    set up basics

if it has an update

reboot to cwm
    wipe cache 3x
    wipe dalvik cache 3x
    flash update
    reboot