So... Where's this Knox thing??

Search This thread

PIzzimperfect

Jul 11, 2012
Hey all,

I have an s5 on EE in the UK.
Heard about this Knox security software. It shows in my list of installed apps yet I can't seem to locate where it is?
Also debating root... Not sure if it's worth it, but did want to have a look at Knox.

Thanks

fenchai

May 10, 2011
Hey all,

I have an s5 on EE in the UK.
Heard about this Knox security software. It shows in my list of installed apps yet I can't seem to locate where it is?
Also debating root... Not sure if it's worth it, but did want to have a look at Knox.

Thanks

knox is a security implemented by samsung, it is active in the background, has no app for that. basically it "protects" samsung warranty better than the triangle in download mode witch shows how many imes you flashed, if you had roted ur device, in download mode will show u have 0x1 warranty voided.<---- thats basically KNOX.

Sent from my SM-G900H using XDA Free mobile app

nicholaschum

Substratum Development Leader / Inactive RT
Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com
knox is a security implemented by samsung, it is active in the background, has no app for that. basically it "protects" samsung warranty better than the triangle in download mode witch shows how many imes you flashed, if you had roted ur device, in download mode will show u have 0x1 warranty voided.<---- thats basically KNOX.

Sent from my SM-G900H using XDA Free mobile app

No. ^

KNOX is a security container -> a place where you install apps inside a secure container that cannot be tampered with on a high level TrustZone security algorithm.

It's great that the person above said what it essentially does to your device, but what he explained above is what happens when the TrustZone between the software and the hardware is breached during root/downgrade/unsigned flashing. This essentially would allow the viewer of the KNOX status to know when the device does not trust it's own body with secure enterprise level apps (Application Integrity), hence the KNOX warranty bit will be set from 0x0 to 0x1 meaning "I will not ever run a secure container anymore".

You won't find KNOX 2.0 on your device as this is now a paid service for enterprises at a rate of $3.60 and it is only set up on your device when you have the KNOX 2.0 kit deployed on your device, unlike KNOX 1.0 where you get to enter KNOX mode anytime you want.

Last edited: