Search This thread

Guest.

Jul 3, 2014
I wanted to post this in the correct forum ( Android Dev) but it wont let me so Ill post here hoping it can be moved or will be ok here. Ok so here it is (drum roll).......LG G3 VS985 Hotspot hack. I do not take responsibility for doing this I simply tried it on my device and it worked. :good:

CREDIT:
Anonymous creator
xdabbeb's file hosting site
WACOmalt for making the original G2 thread (see below)
anyone else I did not happen to mention.

Download the file, backup and remove* HotspotProvision.apk and HotspotProvision.odex from /system/app/ And then drag in this copy of the apk**. Put it's permissions to rw-r--r-- and reboot.

The only caviat to this way is that every time you enable the hotspot you must change the password so it will enable (I Don't know Why). I had this happen on my G2 also so I am not sure if its me or that's how it goes. But hey it WORKS!:laugh:

*People have said that you can rename the app if you want. I copied the files and put them in downloads then deleted them in the sys/app section. When you move them back to sys/app go in app manager and clear data/cache for the hotspot so it will load correctly. This is what I did and it worked great.

**To drag and drop I used Root browser

Links:
DO NOT USE APP ON FIRST PAGE! it is meant for Android 4.2 Original thread
HotSpot APK Download
Root using IOroot here

Edit: This was tested on Verizon as that is the only device I have. Not sure it this would work on other carriers.

I will end this by a great quote from Abraham Lincoln:
"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Attachments

• g3root.jpg
    g3root.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 6,771
  • Screenshot_2014-07-10-20-56-48.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-07-10-20-56-48.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 6,758
  • Screenshot_2014-07-10-20-56-55.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-10-20-56-55.png
    169.2 KB · Views: 6,525
  • Screenshot_2014-07-10-20-57-46.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-07-10-20-57-46.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 6,347
Last edited:
L

LastStandingDroid

This will help your hotspot working? Please can write what it's ment for

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

krisbi

May 5, 2010
I wanted to post this in the correct forum ( Android Dev) but it wont let me so Ill post here hoping it can be moved or will be ok here. Ok so here it is (drum roll).......LG G3 VS985 Hotspot hack. I do not take responsibility for doing this I simply tried it on my device and it worked. :good:

CREDIT:
Anonymous creator

Download the file, backup and remove* HotspotProvision.apk and HotspotProvision.odex from /system/app/ And then drag in this copy of the apk**. Put it's permissions to rw-r--r-- and reboot.

The only caviat to this way is that every time you enable the hotspot you must change the password so it will enable (I Don't know Why). I had this happen on my G2 also so I am not sure if its me or that's how it goes. But hey it WORKS!:laugh:

*People have said that you can rename the app if you want. I copied the files and put them in downloads then deleted them in the sys/app section. When you move them back to sys/app go in app manager and clear data/cache for the hotspot so it will load correctly. This is what I did and it worked great.

Links:
HotSpot APK Download
Root using IOroot here

Edit: This was tested on Verizon as that is the only device I have. Not sure it this would work on other carriers.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Wait... What? So you mean to tell me that the G3 hotspot feature won't work unless you hack it?

Osseon

Jun 28, 2014
If you pay for it through your carrier it will work. This is most likely for the free hotspot mod, so u don't need to pay for it.

Plus they normally have a data cap for hotspot apps. I'd gladly pay for a hotspot if my carrier didn't slap me with a 5gb cap (which I blow through easily enough)

krisbi

May 5, 2010
Plus they normally have a data cap for hotspot apps. I'd gladly pay for a hotspot if my carrier didn't slap me with a 5gb cap (which I blow through easily enough)

I don't think I have a problem with this in my country. My Xperia Z was fully free of these caps and restrictions so I assume it is the same.

hoola20055

Jan 31, 2009

Verizon caps your hotspot app at 5 gigs? I would call them asap. I pay for tethering and my hotspot runs all the time with data over 20 gigs every month. I'm thinking maybe you don't have unlimited or just 5 gig p plan to start with.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

kthung

Apr 25, 2011
I think its ridiculous to have to pay an additional fee if you have a limited data plan. If you have 2GB bandwidth you should be able to use it however you want. 2GB is 2GB.

Reactions: FastKatt317

geoff5093

Jun 13, 2011
Verizon caps your hotspot app at 5 gigs? I would call them asap. I pay for tethering and my hotspot runs all the time with data over 20 gigs every month. I'm thinking maybe you don't have unlimited or just 5 gig p plan to start with.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
I don't know any carrier that still offers limited Hotspot. The only one I know of is Verizon's old plan.

arcanexvi

Aug 22, 2010
Hoffman Estates, IL
I think its ridiculous to have to pay an additional fee if you have a limited data plan. If you have 2GB bandwidth you should be able to use it however you want. 2GB is 2GB.
Per agreements with the fcc all limited plans should have free hotspot. You only have to pay for it on unlimited plans. Vzw has been this way for a little over a year. If you're on a limited plan and aren't provisioned for it, just call them and they'll add it. Grandfathered unlimited plans pay ~$30/mo

kthung

Apr 25, 2011
Per agreements with the fcc all limited plans should have free hotspot. You only have to pay for it on unlimited plans. Vzw has been this way for a little over a year. If you're on a limited plan and aren't provisioned for it, just call them and they'll add it. Grandfathered unlimited plans pay ~$30/mo

I am on an unlimited plan so I haven't been keeping track. I'm pretty sure when they first unveiled tiered data plans a couple years ago there was an additional fee just to enable wireless hotspot, but it makes sense for the FCC to prevent them from being able to do it.

Reactions: comk4ver

aj522

Sep 28, 2010
Can anyone confirms this works? I tried and when I turn on mobile hotspot, it just doesn't work or turn on, no errors or anything. I allowed the right permissions and removed the odex and apk originals.

kthung

Apr 25, 2011
Bump. Also wondering if anyone was able to get this to work. Also this should probably be moved to the Verizon sub-forum

geoff5093

Jun 13, 2011
They have it working on the G3 ported ROMS on the G2, I wonder if they could take it from that.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

CREDIT:
    Anonymous creator

Links:
    HotSpot APK Download
    Root using IOroot here

Wifi tether router in the play store now works for the G3. Tried it on my wife's phone and no issues after about an hour of tethering.
    New APK (no changing passwords or channels necessary)!

A proper APK hack for the Verizon LG G3 (VS985) is out and it works flawlessly.

Same basic instructions, updated APK.

I would post the link but I'm too new.

Google search:

"Enable WiFi Tethering on Verizon LG G3"

Then choose the article from droidviews.com published on 23 August 2014. It contains instructions and an updated APK. I wish I could just post a proper link. I hope someone posts the link here after me.
    I would like to know this also.

Sent from my VS985 4G using XDA Free mobile app

I can verify this is working 100%! I had bought this app for my S4 a while back and it worked well then too. It seems to take about 30 second to enable the AP, but it then works gets. From the devs site I used these settings:

For LG G3 using this config
    Interface wlan0
    Method 3 - HostApd
    Channel 1
    Encryption wpa2-psk
    Drivers nl80211
    "HostApd Patch" <- UNCHECKED
    On my G2 running 4.4.2 I had to do this same issue except when I was on a ROM. Stock with this you must change the password. I add a number to the password and save it, turn on hotspot then delete the digit I added and after hitting save it will turn on. This is a direct APK copy from the G2. It is atleast better than nothing until there is a better fix. :good: