Honeycomb to gingerbread downgrade for Official OTA [Procedure up]

Search This thread

kevinrocksman

Oct 18, 2009
when i do this procedure I cant open recovery. I have tried flashing express-twrp1.0.3.img, express-twrp1.0.3-HC.img and express-twrp1.0.3.img.... I cant get back into recovery unless i flash the honeycomb ruu back in this forum.. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1409306

---------- Post added at 10:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

I screwed up didnt I... I upgraded to 6.14.5555 hboot.... theres no way to put this back to 1.07... is there?

---------- Post added at 10:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 AM ----------

i cant install a gingerbread rom now that ive upgraded to honeycomb can I...

kevinrocksman

Oct 18, 2009
im just a little confused. I go through the process of downgrading but I cant flash any recovery's except the one that came with the RUU. When my tablet starts up it has a million force closes and I cant do anything at all.. I dont under stand what Im doing wrong

sinner1168

Dec 22, 2009
San Antonio, TX
when i do this procedure I cant open recovery. I have tried flashing express-twrp1.0.3.img, express-twrp1.0.3-HC.img and express-twrp1.0.3.img.... I cant get back into recovery unless i flash the honeycomb ruu back in this forum.. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1409306

---------- Post added at 10:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

I screwed up didnt I... I upgraded to 6.14.5555 hboot.... theres no way to put this back to 1.07... is there?

---------- Post added at 10:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 AM ----------

i cant install a gingerbread rom now that ive upgraded to honeycomb can I...

I used the recovery from post #1 and that worked with no problems. You might want to try that and see if it works for you. Also just asking to make sure but did you run the HTC bootloader unlock first?

kevinrocksman

Oct 18, 2009
I used the recovery from post #1 and that worked with no problems. You might want to try that and see if it works for you. Also just asking to make sure but did you run the HTC bootloader unlock first?

I did run the revolutionary tol when I had 1.07... but when I was following the 1st post with instructions to upgrade and unlock I thought I had to uograde...

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

Hmm, maybe reading the instructions would have been a good idea, see line 2 in red at the top of the first post.

yep.. so im screwed. Awesome

Magnus_CA

Nov 7, 2010
globotron,

Thank you for all your work (and sticking with us) on the View.

Forgive me for this newbie question but I'm trying to be extra careful since I'm trying this on my wife's View...

If I'm currently on GB with S-ON and want to get to HC with S-OFF and custom recovery all I have to do is run the Revolutionary S-OFF method and accept the HC OTA update and the bootloader will remain unlocked and recovery will remain in place?

Maine_Coon

Sep 24, 2009
globotron,

Thank you for all your work (and sticking with us) on the View.

Forgive me for this newbie question but I'm trying to be extra careful since I'm trying this on my wife's View...

If I'm currently on GB with S-ON and want to get to HC with S-OFF and custom recovery all I have to do is run the Revolutionary S-OFF method and accept the HC OTA update and the bootloader will remain unlocked and recovery will remain in place?

No one asked me, but still..

No.
- first do s-off on GB thru revolutionary;
- then go there http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1409306
and follow the instructions.
Make sure you did NOT unlock your hboot thru the htc site.

and he is globatron, not globotron

Reactions: Magnus_CA

geert56

Nov 26, 2008
Biding my time....but how about Linux?

Indeed I knew that sooner or later we would have a fantastic downgrade procedure for the "fools" that rushed to accept the Honeycomb OTA. I am one of them! Thanks to the awesome work by globatron the method is sound and complete.

There's just one thing that I would like to see clarified: in what state is the View expected for the last step, i.e., running the big RUU.exe file (are we in the bootloader at that time)? And I assume that this must be done on a Windows box; how about Linux? All the other steps involving adb and fastboot are identical for Linux/Mac.
Is it possible to do everything but the last step on Linux and then plug the View into a Windows PC and run the RUU? Are the special fastboot drivers needed in that case? Or is there an alternative to "run the RUU" for Linux?

Sorry for the many questions. I hope someone has the answers.

sinner1168

Dec 22, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Indeed I knew that sooner or later we would have a fantastic downgrade procedure for the "fools" that rushed to accept the Honeycomb OTA. I am one of them! Thanks to the awesome work by globatron the method is sound and complete.

There's just one thing that I would like to see clarified: in what state is the View expected for the last step, i.e., running the big RUU.exe file (are we in the bootloader at that time)? And I assume that this must be done on a Windows box; how about Linux? All the other steps involving adb and fastboot are identical for Linux/Mac.
Is it possible to do everything but the last step on Linux and then plug the View into a Windows PC and run the RUU? Are the special fastboot drivers needed in that case? Or is there an alternative to "run the RUU" for Linux?

If you look at the steps just past the Windows installation steps, there are the downloads and steps to use Linux. Also your View should be on and booted to Android to run the big RUU.

Last edited:

globatron

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 15, 2009
All over the place

unruu: http://www.multiupload.com/TKROLFQLSK

Reactions: geert56

geert56

Nov 26, 2008
Downgrade from HC to GB - Linux

I think I have all pieces together now. Globatron, maybe you mixed up your various posts in your mind: The #1 of this thread does not explicitly mention the "unruu" step to get rom.zip. I see the post was edited overnight and now adds the flashing of rom.zip instead of running RUU.exe.

To summarize, for Linux:

Get the rom.zip file from the big RUU.exe file by:

# unruu -k RUU.exe

It might be obvious to you, but it would still merit a mention that doing this procedure you will reset your device to factory settings, hence you lose all your account settings and installed apps. The very first step, i.e., unlocking the bootloader via the htcdev.com method implies this.

Thanks for all the great work.

bsoplinger

Jan 17, 2011
Ran the steps up to the final one. I've been staring at my Mac for 15ish minutes now but nothing seems to have happened. My View is on a black screen with a large HTC in the middle. Any idea what I did wrong? I'm expecting that the fastboot command will do something like tell me it was done or xxx bytes transferred or just the all caps OKAY that the other commands generated.

MacBookPro: platform-tools bsoplinger$ fastboot flash zip RUU_Express_Sprint_WWE_1.22.651.1_Radio_1.05.11.0531_NV_2.28_SPCS_release_198141_signed.zip
sending 'zip' (529436 KB)... INFOstart check_usb: usb_ep0: type=128, request=6

globatron

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 15, 2009
All over the place
Seems to be a mac issue, try again with sudo. If that doesn't work if you can bootcamp (not a virtual machine) to windows to complete do that, if not you can do the linux procedure using a 32bit ubuntu live cd.

Reactions: bsoplinger

garycfp

Sep 1, 2011
Help!!!
I had HC running and tried to use this procedure. Ican do the flash recovery but when I go to the reboot to revovery I get the soft brick white screen.

Revolutionary shows
EXPRESS PVT SHIP S-OFF RL
HBOOT-6 14.5555
MICROP-06567
RADIO-1.05.11.0531
eMMC-BOOT

i cannot get to cwm.

Would appreciete forum help.

bsoplinger

Jan 17, 2011
Seems to be a mac issue, try again with sudo. If that doesn't work if you can bootcamp (not a virtual machine) to windows to complete do that, if not you can do the linux procedure using a 32bit ubuntu live cd.

sudo didn't help. Bootcamp boot to Windows 7 64 bit did the trick. Since I had to do that for the next step (Revolutionary + root) wasn't a big deal. Still I wish I knew why it failed.

Sent from my PG41200 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

WARNING: This procedure applies to View only
    If you are S-OFF on honeycomb, do not under any circumstances run this procedure.

Don't bother asking for help if you try to do this on a virtual machine, you won't get any
    run on a real machine.

If you updated using the Official OTA and want to downgrade to GB this is the procedure you want.

1. Perform a HTC unlock using the HTC unlock website
    2. Download this recovery MD5: cb0683f249e6ad2d754949719104c1a8
    3. Boot the view to fastboot mode
    4. Flash recover
      Code:
      fastboot flash recovery cwm-4.0.1.4-express-HC.img
    5. Reboot to recovery
    6. Proceed with the downgradre procedure below.

Downgrade
    1. First download the RUU for the view: (Download here) (Zip version for Linux/MacOS)
    2. Download and extract misc_version from this file
    3. From the screen on the view, select "Mounts and storage->Mount sdcard"
    4. Run the following commands:
      Code:
      adb push misc_version /
      adb shell chmod 777 /misc_version
      adb shell /misc_version -s 1.22.651.1
      You will see a message about backing up and patching partition 29
    5. Reboot to fastboot:
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader

[*]Relock the bootloader:
      Code:
      fastboot oem lock
    6. Run the RUU

How to run RUU for Linux/MacOS:
      Code:
      fastboot erase cache
      fastboot oem rebootRUU
      fastboot flash zip RUU_Express_Sprint_WWE_1.22.651.1_Radio_1.05.11.0531_NV_2.28_SPCS_release_198141_signed.zip
      [color=blue][i]You will get error 90 after this first flash, so flash again[/i][/color]
      fastboot flash zip RUU_Express_Sprint_WWE_1.22.651.1_Radio_1.05.11.0531_NV_2.28_SPCS_release_198141_signed.zip

At this point you can perform a Revolutionary S-OFF and re-upgrade to Honeycomb with S-OFF if you so wish.
    Reserved for me.
    Also reserved for me
    Step 5 covers that.
    ok, give me a sec...

EDIT: Fixed