samsung galaxy tab 2 7.0 gt-p3113 root

Search This thread

Benzzo

Jul 7, 2010
Jcase posted the OTA update here: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/24484-stock-firmware-images-and-updates/

I flashed it with CWM. After a reboot, I lost root and custom recovery.
My tab went from UELACB to UEALD3. Everyone will now be at the same kernel.

To fix this issue, I flashed an unsecure boot image also posted by jcase: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/24762-stopping-recovery-overwrite/ Since all tablets are now the same, I just went and used the P3113UEALD3 boot image. It did not matter.

Then I flashed the rom from dsb9938 (UEALD3 Stock, Rooted, and Deodexed):
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/24709-romuealcb-and-ueald3-stock-rooted-and-deodexed/

Booted right up, was up to date and already rooted. re-verified install-recovery.sh did not exist. Now your safe from the recovery from being overwriten and you can reflash the cwm-root if needed.

Hope this helps.

Luis

I'm confused... If you lost root and custom recovery, how were you able to flash after that without going through the whole rooting process again?

sga999

Mar 13, 2012
I'm new here, like some others, so I'm a bit confused.

Luis, I've read your post #246 and this entire thread (and other threads here and in rootzwiki) several times, but some things haven't clicked yet.

Can you tell me the steps to take if I have NOT done the update yet? Most of the discussion here is about repairing how the update messed up CWM and root. I'm not in that situation...I got a UEALCB model a week ago, and with the great instructions here, I installed CWM and rooted a few days ago. I did download the update since I saw people discussing it here, but I did not install it.

Would it be sufficient for me just to boot into CWM and install the UEALD3 version from dsb9938 that is stock, rooted, and deodexed? Would I need to do anything else? It sounds like that might put me right where you are, i.e. with a system updated to UEALD3, and CWM and root intact. If that's so, could I just ignore the update? Can I just dismiss that notification?

However, I'm not sure about the install-recovery.sh file. I don't see one in system/etc, so maybe that is not a problem for me?

A couple of other things I'm confused about. For those of you who DID get the update, why couldn't you just do the same procedure that we originally did, i.e. go into download mode, install CWM, then recovery mode, and root? Is that install-recovery.sh file the only reason that you couldn't do that?

Finally, I know CWM has more features than the stock recovery, like backup and restore, so I see its value. But for the sake of argument, could this have been done without installing CWM at all? I mean, when we first got the tablet, could we have rooted using the stock recovery instead? If so, when this update came along, couldn't the rooting have been done again on top of that update?

Sorry this is so long. I'm missing some basics, so I'd really appreciate your help.

baezl

Nov 19, 2011
I'm new here, like some others, so I'm a bit confused.

Luis, I've read your post #246 and this entire thread (and other threads here and in rootzwiki) several times, but some things haven't clicked yet.

Can you tell me the steps to take if I have NOT done the update yet? Most of the discussion here is about repairing how the update messed up CWM and root. I'm not in that situation...I got a UEALCB model a week ago, and with the great instructions here, I installed CWM and rooted a few days ago. I did download the update since I saw people discussing it here, but I did not install it.

Would it be sufficient for me just to boot into CWM and install the UEALD3 version from dsb9938 that is stock, rooted, and deodexed? Would I need to do anything else? It sounds like that might put me right where you are, i.e. with a system updated to UEALD3, and CWM and root intact. If that's so, could I just ignore the update? Can I just dismiss that notification?

However, I'm not sure about the install-recovery.sh file. I don't see one in system/etc, so maybe that is not a problem for me?

A couple of other things I'm confused about. For those of you who DID get the update, why couldn't you just do the same procedure that we originally did, i.e. go into download mode, install CWM, then recovery mode, and root? Is that install-recovery.sh file the only reason that you couldn't do that?

Finally, I know CWM has more features than the stock recovery, like backup and restore, so I see its value. But for the sake of argument, could this have been done without installing CWM at all? I mean, when we first got the tablet, could we have rooted using the stock recovery instead? If so, when this update came along, couldn't the rooting have been done again on top of that update?

Sorry this is so long. I'm missing some basics, so I'd really appreciate your help.

I was confused myself but after some help from JCase and dsb9938, things made sense.

Per Jcase, OEMs overwrite custom recoveries with there updates. It's just how OEMs update recovery.

This update includes a install-recovey.sh script. On the stock rom it is not there until the update is applied. This recovery runs everytime you boot up, constantly overwriting your custom recovery.

You can flash CWM 100 times, with every boot, your back to stock. This file needs to be removed.

This is where the unsecure boot images come into play. On this tutorial by jcase, http://rootzwiki.com/topic/24762-stopping-recovery-overwrite/
you need to send the following commands using adb to get rid of this recovery file.

adb shell mount -o remount,rw /system
adb shell rm /system/etc/install-recovery.sh

Per dsb9938, these commands will not work on the stock kernel, so you need unsecure boot images. Your other options are the following:

Cut & Paste from his comments:
FYI (I lost my root with the update, so neither was an option for me)

Option 1- Of course you could adb shell in if you have it rooted and just "su", then issue the commands without the "adb shell" in the beginning. (I lost my root with the update, was not an option for me)

Option 2 -Or, If you have a root file explorer you can use that to find and remove the file

Option3 - Flash an unsecure boot image and remove the install-recovery, then flash CWM as normal.

After I followed his guidance, I flashed CWM, recovery remained (no install-recovery.sh was there overwrite cwm), which in turn flash the cwm-root via CWM.

I am not sure on the stock recovery, why we can't just use it, but it will not work. When you try to flash zip files, they fail signatures. I am not sure. I am a noob.
\
Hope this helps.

I am still learnign myself. Just doing a lot of reading.

Thanks

Luis

---------- Post added at 05:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 AM ----------

I'm confused... If you lost root and custom recovery, how were you able to flash after that without going through the whole rooting process again?

See post#265. Because I used an unsecure boot image that let me use adb to remove the install-recovery.sh script that was kicking my ass. The post explains alot.

Luis

---------- Post added at 06:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 AM ----------

Would it be sufficient for me just to boot into CWM and install the UEALD3 version from dsb9938 that is stock, rooted, and deodexed? Would I need to do anything else?

Nope nothing else. Since you will be at the current kernel. The firmware puts all tablets at the same kernel. That will work. I tested it. The end result is the same. The update puts you at D3. I also had the CB like you. Once at D3 check for an update. It will say there is none. Plus his rom has no recovery so your cwm remains. Plus that pesky install-recovery.sh script doesn't exist. But it your ever in a recovery hell boot loop and can't get to cwm you will know what the issue is.

Luis

Last edited:
Reactions: sga999

Gam3r 4 Life

Mar 5, 2011
Napa, California
Quick question. After reading the new pages here in this thread I found out about the update. So I checked and sure enough it started downloading it. So I stopped it. Since it didnt update does that mean I dont have to worry about the recovery overwrite? Because I flashed the file "IML74K_P3113UEALCB- http://goo.im/devs/j...securedboot.img" thinking that that would update my tablet, but when I check for the update it still attempts to download it.

Nevermind. I flashed UEALD3 version from dsb9938 and am good to go now. PS: If anyones interested in an awesome screen saver actually made for the tab 2 I HIGHLY recommend this one. Ive installed more SP's than I can count and this is by far the nicest one Ive had. Ill write a review if we ever actually get a forum.

Last edited:

baezl

Nov 19, 2011
Quick question. After reading the new pages here in this thread I found out about the update. So I checked and sure enough it started downloading it. So I stopped it. Since it didnt update does that mean I dont have to worry about the recovery overwrite? Because I flashed the file "IML74K_P3113UEALCB- http://goo.im/devs/j...securedboot.img" thinking that that would update my tablet, but when I check for the update it still attempts to download it.

You will run into the issue if you flash the update. The boot.img will not stop the update from being downloaded. You don't have to install it though. You can also flash the the UEALD3 version from dsb9938 that is stock, rooted, and deodexed. This will put you at UEALD3, which does not need an update. Only the UEALCB are requiring the update to make everyone a UEALD3.

Personally, I would just do the update and go through the process of fixing it. This will only help you when future updates come out.

Luis

Gam3r 4 Life

Mar 5, 2011
Napa, California
You will run into the issue if you flash the update. The boot.img will not stop the update from being downloaded. You don't have to install it though. You can also flash the the UEALD3 version from dsb9938 that is stock, rooted, and deodexed. This will put you at UEALD3, which does not need an update. Only the UEALCB are requiring the update to make everyone a UEALD3.

Personally, I would just do the update and go through the process of fixing it. This will only help you when future updates come out.

Luis

Thanks edited post before I got your response. Any idea what the update actually does other than break recovery?

@rbiter

Dec 4, 2011

Nevermind. I flashed UEALD3 version from dsb9938 and am good to go now. PS: If anyones interested in an awesome screen saver actually made for the tab 2 I HIGHLY recommend this one. Ive installed more SP's than I can count and this is by far the nicest one Ive had. Ill write a review if we ever actually get a forum.

i second that. i got mine off ebay so paid a little more. once you get a few minutes finger time on it swiping your screen is awesome.

baezl

Nov 19, 2011
Thanks edited post before I got your response. Any idea what the update actually does other than break recovery?

All it does it puts everyone at the same kernel No fixes that I know of. Some shipped with older firmware. Now everyone is at the same baseline. Hope everything I posted helps.

Thanks

Luis

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

i second that. i got mine off ebay so paid a little more. once you get a few minutes finger time on it swiping your screen is awesome.

Does it look good? I have the invisiblehield from zagg. Actually screwed up the first one. $30 a pop. LoL

Gam3r 4 Life

Mar 5, 2011
Napa, California
Does it look good? I have the invisiblehield from zagg. Actually screwed up the first one. $30 a pop. LoL

It looks awesome, and even better feels awesome. Ive installed so many zaggs its ridiculous so trust me I know what you mean. Wet installs sucks but last forever, dry installs are easier, but dont last as long. I didnt even know they made a zagg for it. Did you use one for the 7.0 plus? I have a Xtremeguard wet install type on my 7.7 that is probably the best install of that kind Ive ever done, but I dont like the rubbery feel, and a Zagg on my EVO 3D, I get use to it, but then use my tab 2 and realize how much smoother the Ringbo is.

Heres a couple pics of the Ringbo on my Gtab 2.

Attachments

• IMAG0260.jpg
    IMAG0260.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 147
  • IMAG0268.jpg
    IMAG0268.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 144
  • IMAG0281.jpg
    IMAG0281.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

baezl

Nov 19, 2011
It looks awesome, and even better feels awesome. Ive installed so many zaggs its ridiculous so trust me I know what you mean. Wet installs sucks but last forever, dry installs are easier, but dont last as long. I didnt even know they made a zagg for it. Did you use one for the 7.0 plus? I have a Xtremeguard wet install type on my 7.7 that is probably the best install of that kind Ive ever done, but I dont like the rubbery feel, and a Zagg on my EVO 3D, I get use to it, but then use my tab 2 and realize how much smoother the Ringbo is.

Heres a couple pics of the Ringbo on my Gtab 2.

I like it. Would you remove the zagg and go with this one if you already had the zagg one on?

Link - Zagg GTab 2 7.0

Gam3r 4 Life

Mar 5, 2011
Napa, California
I like it. Would you remove the zagg and go with this one if you already had the zagg one on?

Link - Zagg GTab 2 7.0

Yes. I am pretty sure I am going to do exactly that on my Gtab 7.7. It has a Xtremeguard SP on it which is exactly like a Zagg and I might just be pulling that off to install the Ringbo. The one they have is for the Verizon version so I might have to do a little cutting to make room for the earpiece, but it would be worth it. Heres a review of the Ringbo if you want some pretty detailed info and pics.

Duh I remember now about the Zagg. I remember seeing it at Best Buy. Strange that its not on Zaggs site under devices listed.

Last edited:
K

knucklesmckay

I used the Armor Suit clear screen protector. Similiar to zagg, works great. It only cost about $10 and has lifetime warranty too.

sent from my galaxy tab 2

sga999

Mar 13, 2012
Luis, thanks so much for your answers. It's starting to sink in, but I don't think I quite have it all yet.

You said "Personally, I would just do the update and go through the process of fixing it. This will only help you when future updates come out."

Since I'm new at this, I think I'm just going to flash the deodexed version because it's simpler, and I'm much less likely to screw it up. But I realize I may have to go through the more complicated procedures in the future.

I think you're saying that every time one of these updates comes, we'll have to go through some fixing, 2 possible ways. I guess I'd like to have this "deodexed way" every time, but I don't know that I can count on that, right? If not, I would have to go through all the complicated steps.

Why I'm hesitating to going through the more complicated process is because I've never installed the Android SDK, I know nothing about Heimdall, etc. But in the future, if updates always cause this same problem (CWM lost), I may have to bite the bullet (unless there's a deodexed version).

Does this summarize what the "fixing process" will be after each OTA update?
1. Use Heimdall to flash an unsecured boot image (can we use the same boot image forever?).
2. Use ADB commands to delete install-recovery.sh.
3. Run the "ODIN and root procedure".

At some point you mentioned that you (at least I think it was you!) had a problem because the USB drivers had to be replaced between the Heimdall step and step 3. Should this be written up as part of the procedure, or should it "automatically" happen? Since I haven't worked with Heimdall or ADB yet, I don't know if you mean you made a mistake or whether I really need to be careful to install different USB drivers.

Thanks again for all of your help.

baezl

Nov 19, 2011
Luis, thanks so much for your answers. It's starting to sink in, but I don't think I quite have it all yet.

You said "Personally, I would just do the update and go through the process of fixing it. This will only help you when future updates come out."

Since I'm new at this, I think I'm just going to flash the deodexed version because it's simpler, and I'm much less likely to screw it up. But I realize I may have to go through the more complicated procedures in the future.

I think you're saying that every time one of these updates comes, we'll have to go through some fixing, 2 possible ways. I guess I'd like to have this "deodexed way" every time, but I don't know that I can count on that, right? If not, I would have to go through all the complicated steps.

Why I'm hesitating to going through the more complicated process is because I've never installed the Android SDK, I know nothing about Heimdall, etc. But in the future, if updates always cause this same problem (CWM lost), I may have to bite the bullet (unless there's a deodexed version).

Does this summarize what the "fixing process" will be after each OTA update?
1. Use Heimdall to flash an unsecured boot image (can we use the same boot image forever?).
2. Use ADB commands to delete install-recovery.sh.
3. Run the "ODIN and root procedure".

At some point you mentioned that you (at least I think it was you!) had a problem because the USB drivers had to be replaced between the Heimdall step and step 3. Should this be written up as part of the procedure, or should it "automatically" happen? Since I haven't worked with Heimdall or ADB yet, I don't know if you mean you made a mistake or whether I really need to be careful to install different USB drivers.

Thanks again for all of your help.

The only reason I went through the update was to actually step through it and learn it. Nothing more. Go ahead and install the deodexed rom, it will save you time. If for some reason you lost root and custom recovery, it is not complicated. I never used these tools a week ago. Its really hard to kill a tablet. Just keep these tools and images handy and you will be just fine. Don't even worry about writing a tutorial for yourself. Just enjoy the tablet.

People on this forum are great and are always willing to help. Today it might be flash this file, but tomorrow it might be flash this new one. But your correct in your "fixing process" listed above. The entire point and big picture is you lost recovery and you want cwm but it keeps getting overwritten by a pesky file.

This only happens if you took the update. If you didn't, wait for a rom.

Or your rom is stock, you do not have root. Your stuck! Flash the unsecure boot images just so you can delete the install-recovery.sh script.

Or your CWM got overwritten, but you have root. Run adb and "su" then delete the script.

Either way, after the script is gone, treat your tablet like you never rooted it before. Flash CWM with Odin, then root it wih cwm.

The big picture is you do not want cwm from being overwritten.

The driver issue I had was that heimdall didnt see my tablet so I used the utility that came with it to get it going. Flashed the boot image once heimdall saw the tablet.

Then when I went back to odin, it would not see the tablet so I had samsung kies installed, I went to the directory where it is installed, there is a drivers folder, USB or something to that effect and ran the installer and bam! Odin saw it. Flashed the cwm md5 file, launched cwm and flashed the root.

So long story short, enjoy your tablet, keep a stock image handy, unsecure boot images handy and the utilities, and just have fun.

Luis

sga999

Mar 13, 2012
Thanks, Luis, I am having fun! I flashed the deodexed D3 file, and all is well.

The only peculiar thing was that I still had the notification about the update. When I read about the update a couple of days ago, I did the check for update, and it downloaded it (or some info about it). It keeps notifying me and I have just been telling it to wait another 12 hours before telling me again.

After I flashed D3 today, I still had the notification. If I did the check for update, it told me I still needed to install it, and again, I told it to delay.

I found something on another forum (unrelated to this tablet) that said to stop some running applications...I happened to find "software update" and "software upgrade" running, and I cleared the data and stopped them. That seems to have done the trick!

Thanks so much.

Benzzo

Jul 7, 2010
Seems to me we may be taking too many steps plus i don't even know what the hell a heimdall is. The OTA didn't work because it rebooted into cmw recovery and i haven't flashed the update yet so i still have root. I'm tryin to avoid adb because i haven't had to use it since rooting my Evo3D so couldn't i just flash the unsecured boot image using cwm then flash UEALD3 Stock, Rooted, and Deodexed?

OR, if i haven't lost root because i haven't updated, do i even NEED to flash the boot image at all?

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

Man, we need a forum!!!!!! Now i gotta sift through spam boxing threads just to get some help...

Last edited:

Spiko1

May 5, 2012
So now that I have my device rooted, why wont it let me install apps? I'm trying to use Apk installer but it gives me this error: Install blocked For Security, your tablet is set to block installation of applications not obtained from Android Market. From what I can find everyone says to go into settings=> Applications and then check a box but I don't have the box.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Re-Re-Written Instructions

I have re-written Ayenn13's instructions, which he re-wrote from machx0r.

Give them the credit for the origin of these, I just made them easier to understand (and a little more accurate :D).

I also attached the files you need to this post, just in case the links stop working :p. (You just have to unzip them using 7-Zip, WinRAR or WinZip, both attachments include the SAME files, I added both .zip and .7z as some people prefer one over the other.)

Instructions for installing Clockwork Recovery and Rooting your Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7"

1. Download recovery.tar.md5.

2. Copy cwm-root-gtab2.zip to your ext SDCard ("Card" in Windows Explorer).

3. Download Odin for windows.

4. Make sure your device is not plugged in via USB.

5. Make sure your device is in “USB debugging” mode.

• Navigate through Menu>Settings>Developer Options and check the “USB debugging” option.

6. Reboot your tablet into download mode. By either one of these options: (*NOTE: Connect your device to your PC using the USB cable if you will be rebooting your device through ADB!)

• Power off the tablet. Hold the Volume Down button and Power button. Volume up to confirm download mode.

• If you have adb installed run 'adb reboot download' from a command prompt.

7. Launch Odin, click PDA and browse to the recovery.tar.md5 file (unless you moved it, it will be in your user downloads folder).

8. Hit start, when completed your tablet will reboot.

9. Reboot your tablet into recovery mode. By either one of these options:

• Power off the tablet. Hold down the Volume Up button and Power button. When you see the "Galaxy Tab" logo release Power but continue holding Volume Up.

• If you have adb installed run 'adb reboot recovery' from a command prompt.

10. In the CWM menu (the menu will be in the upper left corner of the now landscape mode screen) navigate to "install zip from sdcard" (volume keys navigate) and press power to select.

11. Select "choose zip from sdcard".

12. Navigate to the "cmw-root-gtab2.zip" you saved to your sd card earlier (it should be the only option if you have not used any other root methods).

13. Wait for the install to complete, shouldn't take long.

14. Select "go back" from the menu at the top, back out two menus then select the reboot device option.

15. Your device will restart. On the first restart you will see it "Update Android".

16. ??????????

17. Profit!
    I have rewritten the instructions for the novice rooter (which is what I am given I have only been around the superuser world for tow months). machx0r forgot a few important steps for us novices. :confused:

I would like to thank machx0r for giving the directions they have. Without them I would not have figured the rest out! :)

Here are the desecrate and explicate instructions for this process...

1. Get a copy of Mobile Odin and install it (it is on Google Play).

2. Get a copy of ClockworkMod and install it (it is on Google Play).

3.Download recovery.tar.md5.

4. Copy cwm-root-gtab2.zip to your extSdCard (Card in Windows Explorer)

5. Download Odin for windows.

6. Make sure your device is not plugged in via USB.

7. Make sure your device is in “USB debugging” mode

a. To do so navigate through Menu>Settings>Applications>Development
    Options and check the “USB debugging” option.​

8. Reboot your tablet into download mode. Either one of these options:

a. Power off the tablet. Hold the Volume Down button and Power button.
    Volume up to confirm download mode.​

b. If you have adb installed run 'adb reboot download' from a
    command prompt​

9. Launch Odin, click PDA and browse to the recovery.tar.md5 file (unless you moved it will be in your user downloads folder).

10. Hit start and your tablet will reboot.

11. Unplug the USB connection.

12. Reboot your tablet into recovery mode. Either one of these options:

a. Power off the tablet. Hold down the Volume Up button and Power button.
    When you see the "Galaxy Tab" logo release Power but continue holding Volume Up​

b. If you have adb installed run 'adb reboot recovery' from a
    command prompt​

13.In the CWM menu (the menu will be in the upper left corner of the now landscape mode screen) navigate to "install zip from sdcard" (volume keys navigate) and press power to select

14. Select "choose zip from sdcard"

15. Navigate to the "cmw-root-gtab2.zip" you saved to your sd card earlier (it should be the only opition if you have not used any other root methods).

16. Select go back from the menu at the top through two menus then select the restart device option.

17. Your device will restart. In the process it will update android.

18. Profit!​
    Please share with the rest of the class :p Did you just change density and then install or something more to it?

Ok class, listen up. j/K ;). I initially tried to use the swype apk from my 7.7. It installed, but forced closed over and over. So I thought about it, and figured out another idea, that I was almost positive wasnt going to work. But it did.

I used the swype apk that I had from an install on my kindle fire. I used these instructions here to get it installed onto my Fire. I ended up returning the Fire to buy the gtab 2, but I had backups of it. And it was as simple as installing that apk.

Now Ive read that swype really frowns on people posting modified swype apk's. But this one is not modified in anyway other than it was used on a device that wasnt suppose to work but did. So I hope this wont cause any issues, and if it does feel free to delete the file. Anyway here it is. Hope it works as easy for others as it did for me.
    here it is

since we have no forum yet (um come on mods get to it!) I can't post a shiny new thready for my very first real dev, ROOT FOR YOUR GALAXY TAB 2 7.0!!

so I'll put it in this post, and I'll mention I posted this on rootzwiki first, we have our very own forum there... (XDA I love ya, and I know you will get there hehe)

** Edit ***
    I just attached the files as well as mediafire, rename the txt file to pit (xda won't accept the file as is..

I have gained root through using a modified boot.img from the gt-p3110 leak posted a few weeks ago, took me all day but here it is.

Note I haven't only tested this on my device, its 2am est and all my testers are asleep (that being termitech lol)..

Standard YMMV
    So big fat warning, I MAKE NO GUARANTEES THIS WILL NOT BRICK YOUR TAB, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

Now with that unpleasantness out of the way.. with out further ado. I present the very first root for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0!! Yay mom I'm a dev now!

The method will have you using hemidall/heimdall-frontend there is a way to put this all into an odin package but I'm too exhausted to do so (for now).. Also I will not re-hash how to install or use heimdall.. you can look that up on your own

Get it here:
    http://www.glassechidna.com.au/products/heimdall/

Process
    Once that is installed do the following:
    • reboot tablet into download mode
    • adb reboot download

• launch heimdall-frontend
    • go to flash tab
    • load attached pit file (gt-p3110.pit)
    • Then from partion details choose "KERNEL", click "Add"
    • then choose "Browse" and select the attached boot-bjr.img
    • choose "Start"

after the tablet reboots:

Code:
    adb shell
    ./su
    ./gtab2-root.sh

Congratulations you are now rooted!

I'm going to try and stay up a bit longer and monitor this (and the xda thread) please let me know immediately of success or failure, I will pull the files if failure.. Issues with heimdall aside, I want reports back on if things work.. They work for me.. and I tested a fresh factory img just a few minutes ago.. pretty sure we are good!

gt-p3110.pit

boot-bjr.img
    Ive made some progress..

I'm able to make and flash new boot.img's and change files in the initramfs, having a bit of trouble getting adb to come up insecure.. any other devs out there want to chime in?

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

I think the only method is to use odin to flash either a system.img that is rooted or flash a rooted kernel.

I can push busybox and change its permissions to data/local.. thats something.. :)

adb push busybox /data/local/ && adb shell chmod 4755 /data/local/busybox

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

I have root! (in recovery)

now to make it pretty so you guys can try it!