[REVIEW] Engadget ASUS TF300

Search This thread

legendary1022

Jan 6, 2010
Kansas City, MO
A cheaper version of the Prime. The only difference really is not a sharp looking (cheaper materials) and no Super IPS+ display making it easy.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

brantje

Jan 14, 2008
Friendstream.net
Aside from the fact that the battery life isn't quite as epic as the Prime's, our most serious complaint has little to do with ASUS, and more with Android: even with a state-of-the-art chip running the latest version of the OS, the tablet occasionally hiccups when launching apps and resizing web pages.

Love my prime for this

jkvato

May 23, 2011
Southern California
I was hoping they would be more comprehensive about the wi-fi. All they said was "we didn't encounter any problems." I'd really like some comparative analysis between the 300 and the Prime, particularly since the 300 has a plastic back plate.

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
I was hoping they would be more comprehensive about the wi-fi. All they said was "we didn't encounter any problems." I'd really like some comparative analysis between the 300 and the Prime, particularly since the 300 has a plastic back plate.

to be honest, I've seen breakdowns on wifi performance comparisons. the 300, according to those charts, does perform better on wifi across various distances from router. It can also be said alot of prime owners don't have an issue with their wifi. I think it may have been Anandtech review where i saw the comparison charts. I cant remember. Either them or Android Central. If i come across it again ill link you to it.

edit: i found it. it was Anandtech. he has a very thorough review of the 3oo. ill link you to the wifi comparison chart.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5756/asus-transformer-pad-300-review/5

Last edited:
Reactions: jkvato

MK17

Jun 13, 2010
to be honest, I've seen breakdowns on wifi performance comparisons. the 300, according to those charts, does perform better on wifi across various distances from router. It can also be said alot of prime owners don't have an issue with their wifi. I think it may have been Anandtech review where i saw the comparison charts. I cant remember. Either them or Android Central. If i come across it again ill link you to it.

edit: i found it. it was Anandtech. he has a very thorough review of the 3oo. ill link you to the wifi comparison chart.

I'm confused... Are you saying that if our Prime performs similar to that chart then we don't have a problem?

Looking at that chart, I see that the Prime is obviously the worst performer and it seems to be a pretty big issue compared to the other tablets.

e.mote

Feb 16, 2011
>http://www.anandtech.com/show/5756/asus-transformer-pad-300-review/5

I wouldn't draw any conclusion from this chart. It's not representative. The numbers are distorted, likely from variations from a single test.

Per the chart, the Prime would have better wifi at 50' + multiple obstructions than at 20' + single obstruction, which obviously is false. Ditto for TF300, which from this would have same wifi performance at 20' as at 80'.

When a single set of numbers is known to be wrong, then the whole work is suspect. I would look askance at the entire review. This is shoddy work. I expect better from Anandtech, especially when Anand dude himself put his own name on the article.

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
I'm confused... Are you saying that if our Prime performs similar to that chart then we don't have a problem?

Looking at that chart, I see that the Prime is obviously the worst performer and it seems to be a pretty big issue compared to the other tablets.

you confusing me..lmao did you see the post i quoted? the original question was asked how does the 300 wifi performance compare to the prime. i gave the Anandtech comparison he did in his in depth review. Anandtech did a prime wifi tests early when prime first came out. his tests didn't fare well with the prime. my prime gets results more similar to the other devices listed. not all primes have wifi that perform bad, especially newer units.

Either way i just linked the person asking the question to a comparison chart showing how well 300 wifi performs. this has nothing to do with the prime by itself. this is just a recorded proof of comparison. that's all really. Since no other tech site has done what the person asked about so far.

what e.mote said is true also.

Last edited:

dcAndroidFan

Feb 6, 2012
>http://www.anandtech.com/show/5756/asus-transformer-pad-300-review/5

I wouldn't draw any conclusion from this chart. It's not representative. The numbers are distorted, likely from variations from a single test.

Per the chart, the Prime would have better wifi at 50' + multiple obstructions than at 20' + single obstruction, which obviously is false. Ditto for TF300, which from this would have same wifi performance at 20' as at 80'.

When a single set of numbers is known to be wrong, then the whole work is suspect. I would look askance at the entire review. This is shoddy work. I expect better from Anandtech, especially when Anand dude himself put his own name on the article.

That chart tracks with my experience and likely the experience of most other Prime owners. The TF300 has slight dropoff, but consistently strong reception out to a much farther distance. The Prime has significant dropoff quickly, and almost total dropoff at the longer distance.

Both Primes I have owned were exactly the same as the one tested. Within 20 feet of the router, some dropoff. Outside of 20 feet, at least half, and at 60+ feet almost total dropoff. Also, it's reasonable that the 50 foot test was a little stronger than the 20 foot test because of the randomness of the signal dropoff. Sitting 50 feet from my router, I could run the speed test five consecutive times and get five different numbers. That doesn't make the numbers suspect, it makes the Prime's reception suspect because you get such random results.

You can make excuses and call the numbers "suspect" all day long, but I think a lot of Prime owners find those numbers very believable based on actual experience. I just think it's tragic that Asus CONTINUES to pretend that WiFi isn't a real issue, and continues to sell the Prime as the premium product even though it suffers from such a tragic flaw that doesn't seem to plague the "lower" model with the plastic back. Shipping an external GPS antenna to the obvious GPS problem was a nice step, but they still haven't done anything to make WiFi better. IMHO, a new caseback was the only viable solution and they have steadfastly refused to do it.

Asus should offer a trade-in program and see how many people would trade them their current Prime straight-up for a new TF300. That'll be a good indication of which one people think is actually the better product.

e.mote

Feb 16, 2011
>it's reasonable that the 50 foot test was a little stronger than the 20 foot test because of the randomness of the signal dropoff.

OK, removed the "extra-curricular" commentary. Here's the sanitized version:

There are only 4 wifi numbers given for the Prime, one of which (50') is clearly wrong. If you accept that the 50' number is wrong due to "randomness", then the rest of the numbers have no credibility, because they can also be affected by the same "randomness." Hence, the need to minimize testing variability and to publish your testing method.

Wifi tests are highly variable, and you would want to minimize variability by taking some steps, the first of which is to test multiple times, remove the outliers, then normalize the result. The second of which is to publish your methodology so the test can be replicated. The Anandtech piece did neither.

Last edited:

daioros

Nov 10, 2008
That chart tracks with my experience and likely the experience of most other Prime owners. The TF300 has slight dropoff, but consistently strong reception out to a much farther distance. The Prime has significant dropoff quickly, and almost total dropoff at the longer distance.

Both Primes I have owned were exactly the same as the one tested. Within 20 feet of the router, some dropoff. Outside of 20 feet, at least half, and at 60+ feet almost total dropoff. Also, it's reasonable that the 50 foot test was a little stronger than the 20 foot test because of the randomness of the signal dropoff. Sitting 50 feet from my router, I could run the speed test five consecutive times and get five different numbers. That doesn't make the numbers suspect, it makes the Prime's reception suspect because you get such random results.

You can make excuses and call the numbers "suspect" all day long, but I think a lot of Prime owners find those numbers very believable based on actual experience. I just think it's tragic that Asus CONTINUES to pretend that WiFi isn't a real issue, and continues to sell the Prime as the premium product even though it suffers from such a tragic flaw that doesn't seem to plague the "lower" model with the plastic back. Shipping an external GPS antenna to the obvious GPS problem was a nice step, but they still haven't done anything to make WiFi better. IMHO, a new caseback was the only viable solution and they have steadfastly refused to do it.

Asus should offer a trade-in program and see how many people would trade them their current Prime straight-up for a new TF300. That'll be a good indication of which one people think is actually the better product.

Totally agree with you.
Does anyone know the reason why Asus decided not to change the back cover of his Prime?
Because if it's just only for aesthetics, it would be stupidiest reason ever held.

I would like to buy a Prime right now, the best of all Android devices, even with another backcover not-so-cool.
But seeing that problems I prefer buying the TF300 or go to another brand.
What a pity!

dcAndroidFan

Feb 6, 2012
Totally agree with you.
Does anyone know the reason why Asus decided not to change the back cover of his Prime?
Because if it's just only for aesthetics, it would be stupidiest reason ever held.

I would like to buy a Prime right now, the best of all Android devices, even with another backcover not-so-cool.
What a pity!

If I had to guess, I'd say it's the obvious answer -- money. If they replace the back cover, then they have to do it to every unit, at a support center, by trained technicians. They're already struggling to keep up with basic repair and support -- a total retrofit would be an insurmountable task for their current infrastructure.

If they ignore the WiFi problem completely and just "fix" the GPS, then they can manufacture an external part, mass-produce and package it, and mail it out to some percentage of their registered owners with no other cost to them.

buxtahuda

Feb 4, 2011
Cleveland, MS
Totally agree with you.

What a pity!

I continue to find these posts humoring. Have you looked at a dissected Prime, either here on XDA or at Anandtech? Everything but the glass and LCD is attached to the backplate. That means either several hours labor swapping all the parts from one back to another or just trashing the entire back assembly and replacing all internal components.

So, in short and as mentioned, money. Either of those circumstances is no bueno for ASUS's bottom line, and therefore neither one is happening.

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
I continue to find these posts humoring. Have you looked at a dissected Prime, either here on XDA or at Anandtech? Everything but the glass and LCD is attached to the backplate. That means either several hours labor swapping all the parts from one back to another or just trashing the entire back assembly and replacing all internal components.

So, in short and as mentioned, money. Either of those circumstances is no bueno for ASUS's bottom line, and therefore neither one is happening.

Which also explains why not much availability. The 300 will be their mass production device.

This is SPARTA!!

Reactions: buxtahuda

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
>it's reasonable that the 50 foot test was a little stronger than the 20 foot test because of the randomness of the signal dropoff.

OK, removed the "extra-curricular" commentary. Here's the sanitized version:

There are only 4 wifi numbers given for the Prime, one of which (50') is clearly wrong. If you accept that the 50' number is wrong due to "randomness", then the rest of the numbers have no credibility, because they can also be affected by the same "randomness." Hence, the need to minimize testing variability and to publish your testing method.

Wifi tests are highly variable, and you would want to minimize variability by taking some steps, the first of which is to test multiple times, remove the outliers, then normalize the result. The second of which is to publish your methodology so the test can be replicated. The Anandtech piece did neither.

Practical tests are best. Take two devices and compare when each becomes unstable and then stops working with wifi. For me, the Prime was about half as functional for signal compared to the Thrive, View and iPad.

Though good enough for some, not for others. Seems logical to fix the back panel on new production runs and maybe they would have, if the 300 and 700 were not releasing now/soon.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Pretty good review of the Asus TF300...I didn't expect Engadget to give it such praise.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/22/asus-transformer-pad-tf300-review/

Which also explains why not much availability. The 300 will be their mass production device.

This is SPARTA!!