[Q] "Invalid magic string" - Downgrade Android 4.4 to 4.3

Search This thread

AlaronTamnar

Aug 20, 2014
Hi

I'm trying to downgrade Android 4.4 KitKat to 4.3 JellyBean

Had this error "Invalid magic string" when I flashed from Odin

Flashed a custom Phill Recovery and did a format /system /data thinking it would erase the Knox protection.

Now im stuck with no OS and I cant flash.

Any help?

:crying:

ramjet73

Jan 12, 2006
Honolulu, Hawaii
You have to re-flash 4.4.2 KitKat from Odin.

Once you've installed the KitKat bootloader which is KNOX enabled you've already tripped the warranty flag if you have since flashed any unsigned firmware image (recovery, ROM, kernel) and once it is tripped it cannot be reset, nor can the KitKat bootloader be downgraded.

You can flash a Jelly Bean based ROM if you want but that will have no effect on the KNOX flag that you have probably already tripped. Users of supported devices who have not upgraded their bootloader to KitKat can flash @civato's FlexNote ROM if they want to experience KitKat on the Note 8.0 without tripping the Knox flag.

ramjet73

Reactions: AlaronTamnar

AlaronTamnar

Aug 20, 2014

Once you've installed the KitKat bootloader which is KNOX enabled you've already tripped the warranty flag if you have since flashed any unsigned firmware image (recovery, ROM, kernel) and once it is tripped it cannot be reset, nor can the KitKat bootloader be downgraded.

You can flash a Jelly Bean based ROM if you want but that will have no effect on the KNOX flag that you have probably already tripped. Users of supported devices who have not upgraded their bootloader to KitKat can flash @civato's FlexNote ROM if they want to experience KitKat on the Note 8.0 without tripping the Knox flag.

ramjet73

Hi Ramjet

Thanks for your kind assistance.

Ive flashed the 4.4.2 KitKat with Odin and the device is working.
However, I was not able to flash the JellyBean rom as it prompted the "Invalid magic string" error again.

I'm using this Google Play: MultiWindow Manager app to enable all my programs to run multi-windows.

With KitKat firmware, I was prompted the following error message after rooting:
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /system/csc/others.xml: open failed: EROFS (Read-only file system)

Hence, I would really need JellyBean back.

Any possibility?

Thanks!

ramjet73

Jan 12, 2006
Honolulu, Hawaii
Hi Ramjet

Thanks for your kind assistance.

Ive flashed the 4.4.2 KitKat with Odin and the device is working.
However, I was not able to flash the JellyBean rom as it prompted the "Invalid magic string" error again.

I'm using this Google Play: MultiWindow Manager app to enable all my programs to run multi-windows.

With KitKat firmware, I was prompted the following error message after rooting:
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /system/csc/others.xml: open failed: EROFS (Read-only file system)

Hence, I would really need JellyBean back.

Any possibility?

Thanks!
Some users have claimed to flash back to 4.2 from 4.4 using Odin but that always excludes the bootloader and strange things can happen when using the KitKat bootloader with a Jelly Bean ROM. Here's a thread from the SamMobile website that talks about those issues. In theory flashing a Jelly Bean ROM zip should be the same as flashing JB with Odin since the KK bootloader can't be downgraded so I'm not surprised that you are having some issues.

There seems to be a variety of experiences when flashing a 4.2 ROM with the 4.4 bootloader installed and there is a thread in the Q&A section that discusses that. I'm running the FlexNote ROM by @civato and it fixes some of the KitKat issues like Spen alignment so I'm not even considering going back to Jelly Bean.

ramjet73

divindivakar

Nov 13, 2014
bOOT eRROR

HI i am facing a serious problem. i was just trying to do a factory reset to my phone and i got stuck. It rebooted and it didnt go to team win. i was using DN3 Rom v5 with agni kernel. so i decide to go to stock. and now i have a problem. i booted a 4.1.2 original rom and i was back to stock and then i tried to update using ATT and after rebooting it got stuck in The Samsung Galaxy note 2 boot screen and i tried everything i know to work things out. but it doesnt work. i cannot enter into recovery mode all i can do is go to download mode. i have tried installing jellybean but when i read about it it said kk boot loader is locked and the only way is to install a kk ...4.4.2 rom. but the rom file i have is zip and i dont know how to convert it into md5 file so that i can boot using odin. i would really appretiate if you can help me with this problem. i tried installing a custom recovery but it doesnt work,,, please help

anupbits187

Dec 8, 2015
Hi

Flashed a custom Phill Recovery and did a format /system /data thinking it would erase the Knox protection.

Any help?

The Only thing you need to do is download another Official Firmware of KITKAT 4.4 and download again ,I hope it you will succeed .I have faced the same error and tried several times but as i have updated my tab to 4.4 with OTA and then if i try to download my old jellybean it wont work .When i downloaded kitkat it succeeded just in first time and my phone got alive again.:)

vortexnix

Jun 20, 2017
I know this an old thread but can anyone provide me link on where to download official firmware of Kitkat 4.4 for ATT galaxy note 8. I am unable to find the firmware. Thanks.

phonelegend

Oct 24, 2017
Invalid magic string

Hi everyone

i was fiddling around with my Galaxy Note 8.0 (gt-n5110) and flashed the ressurection remix nougat rom, i wasnt able to flash gapps with it so i decided to factory reset the whole tab and flash the gapps zip again. When I finally factory reset it was stuck on the Samsung logo and i tried flashing the stock 4.1.2 on it using odin but it keeps saying failed on the computer and invalid magic string on the tab

what should i do to revert back to stock android?

gooberdude

Oct 27, 2010
Hi

Any help?

Awwwww bummer! I am surprised you did not get any info about down grading FW, before flashing your device. Basically it can cause such an issue, especially if your FW is made for a diff device. I don't think any Note 8.0 tablets ever got 4.3, maybe 4.1.1 at least. 4.2.2 was the first update from stock. 4.4.2 and 4.4.4 were one more upgrade after that.

luckysoul777

Mar 6, 2015
Hello,
I have an AT&T branded Note 8.0, SGH-I467 with NI3 (4.4.2) firmware. SGH-I467 has a locked bootloader.
Unfortunately, I hate 4.4.2! It has a 2mm (1/16") offset when writing with S Pen. I have heard the older firmware like MF1 (4.1.2) doesn't have this problem.
Here is where I stumble. I am NOT able to flash MF1.
If you browse this other thread, for a different subject however https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2430540, the author indicates one can downgrade from MF2 OTA back to MF1 using Odin 3.07.
Nevertheless, I am not able to use the same tool to downgrade from NI3 to MF1. What's the difference between the two? When one takes an OTA to upgrade from MF1 to MF2, does the bootloader lock remain at MF1 and hence downgrading back to MF1 is still possible?
I bought my I467 used from eBay. Thus, I don't know if NI3 is the original firmware or someone upgraded it from an earlier version. Any comment is highly appreciated.

By the way, my Odin 3.07 fails immediately, ie. nothing is flashed. The tablet prompts "SW REV. Invaild magic string." (Invaild = Invalid. Samsung's typo)
Here is the Odin message:
Initialization
Get PIT for mapping
Firmware update start
sboot.bin
NAND Write Start
FAIL!
All threads completed. (succeed 0/ failed 1)

[updated Jan 24th, 2018]
I have just learned above 4.3, downgrade is not possible with SGH-I467's locked bootloader. This explains why I467UCAMF1 wouldn't load since the predecessor on my tablet I467UCUBNI3 is 4.4.2. It also explains why one can downgrade from AMF2 to AMF1 because both are 4.1.2.

To address my original problem of 1/16" (2mm) offset, since training in S Note never works for me, I have found a workaround I can live with. Turn my tablet upside down if I have to draw precisely. In this case, I move the offset from under my S Pen, since I'm right handed, to the left where I can see the cursor (or pointer). By following the cursor instead of the nib, I know when to drop down my S Pen to start drawing.

Last edited:

gooberdude

Oct 27, 2010
Gosh and you are complaining instead of finding a solution. The solution to your spen issues are simple. Train it in Snote, by not lifting while drawing at a slight angle with the tip, along the edge of the screen until you meet where you started. Some report that going over a few times without lifting will help. May take a few tries.

I AM HAPPY WITH 4.4.2. NO ISSUES WHAT SO EVER ON BOTH TABLETS.

Reactions: luckysoul777

aibhneduin

Dec 25, 2018
I know this is a very old Thread But I am running into the Invalid Magic String error while trying to upgrade to 4.4.2 on my GT-N5110 I bought it used and they flashed some form of custom ROM because the status is Custom and the Knox flag is tripped. What can I do to install 4.4.2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

ramjet73
    Gosh and you are complaining instead of finding a solution. The solution to your spen issues are simple. Train it in Snote, by not lifting while drawing at a slight angle with the tip, along the edge of the screen until you meet where you started. Some report that going over a few times without lifting will help. May take a few tries.

I AM HAPPY WITH 4.4.2. NO ISSUES WHAT SO EVER ON BOTH TABLETS.