How to Flash your eXpo/IQ

Search This thread

Dark9781

Apr 21, 2009
WARNING: DO NOT USE WINDOWS VISTA TO FLASH YOUR PHONE. THERE IS A COMMUNICATION ISSUE WITH VISTA AND THE FLASHER. LG DECIDED NOT TO FIX THIS ISSUE. ONLY FLASH YOUR PHONE USING WINDOWS XP AND WINDOWS 7.

Windows XP

1. Get the eXpo or IQ flasher (depending on which phone you have). Here is the link:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=647900

2. Run the flasher installer.

3. Set the install directory to "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data" if it isn't set to that already.

4. Click install

5. Plug the usb cable into your computer.

6. Power off your eXpo/IQ. Once it is powered off slide open the keyboard and hold the space bar while plugging the usb cable into your phone's micro usb port. Emergency download mode should appear on the screen.

7. Wait a couple of seconds to allow your phone and computer to communicate with each other and then press start update on the flasher program.
Note: If you get the message "Cannot detect smartphone. Please check connection." click ok and click install usb drivers. Once the drivers are installed click start update again. You may have to restart the computer for the drivers to take effect.

8. You will then see a screen that says the rom version and "Do you want to update." Click ok. The program will start to update your phone.

Windows 7

1. Get the eXpo or IQ flasher (depending on which phone you have). Here is the link:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=647900

2. Right click the flasher installer and click properties. Now navigate to the Compatibility tab, check Run this program in compatibility mode for, and choose Windows XP (Service Pack 3). Also check run this program as an administrator in the privilege level setting in the compatibility mode tab. Click ok to save. Now run the flasher installer.

3. Set the install directory to "C:\Users\All Users" if it isn't set to that already.

4. Click install

5. Plug the usb cable into your computer.

6. Power off your eXpo/IQ. Once it is powered off slide open the keyboard and hold the space bar while plugging the usb cable into your phone's micro usb port. Emergency download mode should appear on the screen.

7. Wait a couple of seconds to allow your phone and computer to communicate with each other and then press start update on the flasher program.
Note: If you get the message "Cannot detect smartphone. Please check connection." click ok and click install usb drivers. Once the drivers are installed click start update again. You may have to restart the computer for the drivers to take effect.

8. You will then see a screen that says the rom version and "Do you want to update." Click ok. The program will start to update your phone.

Last edited:

rparanson

May 16, 2008
Latest version?

Thank you for cooking the LG Expo base rom for flashing. Included MS Office is not 2010 and no threaded email. Included Windows is 6.5. 5.2.2174. Looking forward to an update with Windows 6.5.3 and Office 2010. I am a fan and contributor from your LG Incite ROMs. Thanks! Rick

Last edited:

Dark9781

Apr 21, 2009
Last edited:

ilyasovich

Jun 6, 2010
I tried to flash with the eXpo ROM, I followed the intructions, but it didn't work :( and I can't download the IQ flasher because of the death of download link.

Can you please reupload it?

Thanks

Dark9781

Apr 21, 2009
I tried to flash with the eXpo ROM, I followed the intructions, but it didn't work :( and I can't download the IQ flasher because of the death of download link.

Can you please reupload it?

Thanks

As I saw in oneof your other posts you are using a GM750. This isn't even the same phone as the eXpo or IQ. You're not going to be able to flash one of these roms to your phone. There are hardware differences and software differences that prevent this.

ilyasovich

Jun 6, 2010
As I saw in oneof your other posts you are using a GM750. This isn't even the same phone as the eXpo or IQ. You're not going to be able to flash one of these roms to your phone. There are hardware differences and software differences that prevent this.

That means that It's impossible to flash the GM750? :(

ilyasovich

Jun 6, 2010
It's not impossible to flash the GM750. You need a rom that was made for that phone.

Yesterday I used the Layla rom found here
(www) handy-faq.de/forum/lg_gm750_layla_forum/97996-lg_gm750_layla_firmware_download.html

But i had a very big problem :( , when upgrading process was in 45% i had a BSoD (Blue Screen of death) and my computer restarted, and the phone is now OUT OF SERVICE, i can't run it in emergency download mode :(

I think that this phone was dead :(

Dark9781

Apr 21, 2009
Yesterday I used the Layla rom found here
(www) handy-faq.de/forum/lg_gm750_layla_forum/97996-lg_gm750_layla_firmware_download.html

But i had a very big problem :( , when upgrading process was in 45% i had a BSoD (Blue Screen of death) and my computer restarted, and the phone is now OUT OF SERVICE, i can't run it in emergency download mode :(

I think that this phone was dead :(

When that happens it should still go into emergency download mode even though the screen might not say it. Try it again and run the update.

Cpt Carrot

Feb 23, 2008
help with flashing

I cannot complete the flasing process im using windows 7 an cannot get pass step 7 as windows is unable to install the drivers properly. Is there a way to manual install the drivers ? The phone will go to the emergency download screen and the comp just says "driver instalation was unsuccessful ". Looking in the device manager i can see the LG USB MODEM with the ! of a failed instal. Any help would be much appreciated.

reagards

Dean

xdapants

Mar 15, 2008
I cannot complete the flasing process im using windows 7 an cannot get pass step 7 as windows is unable to install the drivers properly. Is there a way to manual install the drivers ? The phone will go to the emergency download screen and the comp just says "driver instalation was unsuccessful ". Looking in the device manager i can see the LG USB MODEM with the ! of a failed instal. Any help would be much appreciated.

reagards

Dean

The drivers do have their own installer, you should be able to find it in one of the sub folders of c:\users\all users\lgmobileax

Cpt Carrot

Feb 23, 2008
thx xdapants i did find the drivers but this did not fix the issue. It seems to be a connection problem with phone and comp (a common problem it would seem) do i`ve orderd and am still waiting for a new cable and hope this is the simple fix im looking for. However, if like i suspect this still does not work can i flash from memory card ? i think this was possible with the htc kaiser (best phone ever) or if not can i flash over a bluetooth connection ?

xdapants

Mar 15, 2008
thx xdapants i did find the drivers but this did not fix the issue. It seems to be a connection problem with phone and comp (a common problem it would seem) do i`ve orderd and am still waiting for a new cable and hope this is the simple fix im looking for. However, if like i suspect this still does not work can i flash from memory card ? i think this was possible with the htc kaiser (best phone ever) or if not can i flash over a bluetooth connection ?

I don't believe it's possible to flash an lg phone from the memory card, at least not at this point. And as the phone needs to be in download mode, flashing over BT wouldn't be possible.

Consider trying a different USB port; ideally on the opposite side of the computer if you haven't already.

Hopefully the replacement cable will work for you. It seems to be the phone doesn't like being used as a storage device, but that shouldn't really have any bearing the download mode connection.

tks456

Dec 23, 2010
Im trying to flash my IQ to the latest Dragonstorm ROM and got a error with a load of Chinese characters and something about a server error. Did i miss anything? I got it to see my device and it was put into emergency download no probs. I just a bit reluctant to not wanting to brick my phone :)