[Q] Power Button Not Working

Search This thread

pisceanblue

Feb 14, 2011
Hi guys,

I have a little problem where my phone's power button will not function in any way, long presses, short, almost embedding my thumb in it, all to no avail. This is doubly dissapointing as I have just installed the latest dexter plus patch to fix the problem. I still had the problem on the previous version and I thought a clean start may fix it. The only way I can get the screen on is to press the media play button! Which of course isn't doing anything on dexter.

Hunches:

I have been playing with a light sensor program and using a 3 second press to turn the phone off, I am only thinking this is related as when I re-installed then turned off the phone using a battery pull, that now the media gallery button will now not work at all, so that is a change.

Second, the power button is buggered. Seems unlikely as everthing feels normal, no big drops have occurred from heights, and the button is travelling in and out as usual.

I have also noticed that as soon as I re-insert a battery that the phone starts immediately, the M pops up as if it is already posting. So maybe it is stuck down?? Again, I don't think so, as the mechanism is working per usual.

If anyone can help it would be fantastic, you guys haven't let me down yet, and this thing is purring, but unfortunately I cannot use it lol. Just my luck.

Thanks in advance :D

pisceanblue

Feb 14, 2011
another thing, still not solved

Another thing is happening, the phone screen turns on "after" pressing the power button, it may be once or a few times, and then pressing the gallery button.?!?!

Also, at random times it plays a podcast on my phone, the exact same podcast, and from the start, though the duration may be a few seconds then repeat, or it may go for ages, its quite a rude podcast too which has caused me to throw my phone under the car seat to shut it up when people have been trying to talk to me, as you can imagine its quite embarassing.

There are no services or apps running that I can find related to music, it may happen after pressing the camera button, or opening a website.

It is still going really fast though. And I have also reinstalled the light sensor program so I can turn it on and off without causing damage to the power button.

Thanks again everyone.

:confused: :D

pisceanblue

Feb 14, 2011
sure, so the only way I can get the screen to turn back on, after turning off as per display power saving preferences, is by pressing the power button, maybe a couple of times, then following that up by pressing the gallery button next to the shutter button, pressing the gallery button doesn't seem to be working to turn the screen on now, but this combo is.

I hope that helped.

Cheers.

EDIT:::

The gallery button alone is working again. sorry guys.

Last edited:

pisceanblue

Feb 14, 2011
Yeah I think I may have to.
Before I do., I was reading a post on a different forum where another person was having a similar issue. They seemed to solve the problem by using rom manager to boot to a manual restore menu where there was a button tester section, after using it the power button worked for them. I tried but after resetting it displayed a triangle graphic then rebooted.
Is there any way to do this with our open recovery program or any other utility to test the functionality or maybe reset the button or apply a patch etc.

Thanks again :-D

Sent from my XT720 using XDA App

pisceanblue

Feb 14, 2011
Getting Frustrating

Alright so I followed your advice on your videos on how to reflash to stock, so of course my bootloader does not show up the same as yours on the video. I can get to the bootloader fine, using the button combo or by using quick boot > bootloader, both have the exact same result, the boot loader screens as follows:

Bootloader Fastboot mode

and that is it....

Also, my computer using rsdlite does not acknowledge the phone, not omap drivers loading etc. Followed your instructions exactly.

This is frustrating me to no end lol.

I am guessing that because I can get to the bootloader with combo no problem, that the buttons physical connections are working.. At least thats a positive.

Can I flash to stock with openrecovery? Or maybe to an earlier version of Dexters froyo? Other ideas?

Any help would be much appreciated guys, trying to use this phone at work with light sensors to turn off screen is not as easy as they say. OMG....

Thanks so much :D

Mioze7Ae

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 27, 2010
Queen City of the West
Google Pixel 7
Bootloader Fastboot mode

The fastboot bootloader isn't the right one. So... if you hold volume up + camera shutter while powering on you end up in fastboot? That's really weird.

Maybe your keys have been remapped somehow? Does anyone know a chord to boot fastboot? Perhaps check to see if your USB port is clean?

Last edited:

pisceanblue

Feb 14, 2011
Lmao

Just my luck to have a weird problem. I thought it may have been remapped so I have been trying the program buttonremap. It doesn't seem to let me do anything except stop the buttons I re assign doing anything :'(

Does anyone have a proper key mapping file that I can replace with my faulty one to hopefully fix it?

Or any other ideas?

Cheers everyone :)

pisceanblue

Feb 14, 2011
Just checked my system / user / keylayout folder. How many files are supposed to be inside, there are a few. I checked the contents of some and they seemed to be the same. Just an idea.... thanks again.

Last edited:

pisceanblue

Feb 14, 2011
Ok installed anyunlock it allows you to use any physical button to unlock the screen. It doesn't respond when the Power button is pressed, it responded fine to volume rockers, gallery and shutter though.

Anyone know if this would mean for sure its a physical problem before I crack it open and try and fix it.

Thanks guys.

pisceanblue

Feb 14, 2011
Breakthrough!

I am pretty sure I have fixed the problem, I tapped the phone fairly hard on its sides and back, and lo and behold after a battery pull and replacement it didn't turn itself on, I waited, nothing, so then I held the power button and it started up!!!!

But....I have another problem that happened before that, I am stuck in the boot animation that open recovery uses before going into its program (i.e. where you can load nandroid, wipe dalvik cache etc).

I was about to load a new rom, and was in open recovery, had installed it and about to do the reset and the phone turned itself off, and thats when I got the problem with the sticking boot animation.

So just to be clear, I am stuck in a boot loop, but not with the M logo, the restore logo.

I hope the power button solution can help someone else, as random as it is.

If anyone could help me get out of this boot loop without flashing stock that would be great. ( i can get to the real bootloader now btw)

Thanks again everyone.

:) :eek:

pisceanblue

Feb 14, 2011
Solved it all :)
Just took the sd card out and rebooted. And the power is getting better after banging it.

Thanks to all.

pisceanblue

Feb 14, 2011
The Button is not perfect still. Sometimes over sensitive Occasionally it will not even work but it works most of the time. I am just wondering what cleaning solution I could use to free it some more.

It has certainly been a trying problem. Cheers for the help.

Now I need to figure out why I have this strange ghosting on the top of my screen.....

holyguyz

Mar 23, 2010
Paradise
Samsung Galaxy S2 Power Button Not Working

Hi Guys,

Any solution for the power button problem? Current latest Android 2.3.3 Samsung Galaxy S2 also having the same power button problem. Most of the time I can't use my power button to turn on/off the screen (wake/sleep) and there's no menu for long tap as well. Luckily it does wake when i press the only physical Samsung center button.

What i have already tried: Factory Reset, disable Power Saving Mode, Spare Part+ (apps), Screen Off and Lock (apps), and all won't help. :(

Is there any current updates or patches to allow the power button to work as usual? :confused:

Thank you.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You might just want to reflash it to stock to see if this resolves the problem.