Full screen video - iplayer files

Search This thread

cottinghamm

May 2, 2006
Hi

I have searched around a bit & not found an answer to this, although others have reported the same issue (with different files).

I want to view iplayer (BBC) videos in full screen, but played through Windows Media they are reduced to about 3/4 of the screen & slightly choppy. I can cope with the choppy (although I don't see why it is) but I want to scale up the video to fit the screen, otherwise what is the point of this resolution.

Are there any options ?

This is the same behaviour on stock 6.1 OS & a cooked 6.5 OS.

joshcool31

Jul 3, 2009
Cirencester
Yeh i've got the same issue.

I mean what's all this about - i don't understand why the quality is so bad on the iplayer mobile website; surely the iplayer applications on the iphone, some nokias phones etc are of good quality?

I haven't actually done anything to my the rom on my xperia and i only got it a couple of weeks ago, but i'm looking to possibly flashing 6.5 to the device in the future providing i find a good version of it(as i have no clue where to start) . As well as this i've only just been able to get onto the iplayer mobile website as my xperia wasn't recognised as a supported device by the website and it turns out the user agent in opera was blank for some reason :eek:

with my current setup, iplayer appears really small when streaming is first started and when put into fullscreen mode only fills about 3/4 of the screen with a border of black as well as the picture being really badly pixelated. There's got to be some better alternative to this, maybe a third party app perhaps which can do better quality. I hope the bbc improve on this at some point because this is a real disapointment :confused:

have you got a fix on this at all?

(i know and it's proper jarring when people don't reply to your threads):p

artesea

Oct 2, 2008
Lincoln
The bbc have to get a stream which will connect over slow speeds to mobiles with small screens. Whereas the X1 has one of the biggest screens (in terms of pixels) on the market. This is why it looks crap on the X1.
Instead of streaming you could try "sideloading" and download the mobile version of the file from the iPlayer website first and copying it across to the phone.
Or use the iPlayer Downloader which will get the iPhone version as an MP4 for you to copy across.