WiFi Hotspot Success on Rezound
I have spent days here (and other forums) attempting to enable WiFi Hotspot on my Rezound (Verizon). I have flashed RUUs, ROMs, kernels, radios, recoveries, and on and on. I have done everything possible (or it feels that way) on this phone short of getting S-Off.
Well, I have finally achieved what I set out to do and WiFi hotspot is working on my Windows 8 laptop.
- If you don’t know about unlocking Android devices, rooting, or ROMs, then you’re probably thinking BIG WOOP. Well, I have an unlimited data plan and now I have unlimited internet by using my phone as a wireless hotspot.
- If you do know about unlocking Android devices, rooting, or ROMs, then you’re probably thinking BIG WOOP. Well, as I mentioned this is a Rezound and that should mean something.
- And, if you know about unlocking, rooting, or ROMs on a Rezound then I say BIG WOOP. I did it myself.
I will list (generally) what I did to make this happen. If this seems elementary or redundant to you please let this stand for those that may be able to use it.
This is what I started with:
Phone: HTC Rezound
Android: v 4.0.3
Last Update: 05/03/2013 ADR6425LVW_4.05.605.14-3.14.605.13
Kernel: 30.16-gf131e4 htc-kernal@ul8000-build-144 #1 SMP PREEMPT
PCs: Yes LT- Win 8 (64) USB 3.0 only, LT- Win 7 (64) USB 2.0 only, and DT- Win XP
HTC Sync: Yes (3.3.53)
USB cable: Yes (original)
Micro SD: Yes (16Gb, 8Gb, 4Gb)
IMPORTANT: I was unable to get my Windows 8 Laptop with only USB 3.0 ports to work with ADB not matter what drivers I used. I had to use another laptop with USB 2.0 ports.
These are the final steps I took:
- I used SuperBackup to backup all the things it could and moved the backups to my extSD.
- Enabled USB Debugging on phone.
- Followed Scotty’s noob friendly root guide (I cant post the link so you will have to look it up) for the unlocking and recovery. Be sure to keep your Unlock_code.bin file in the mini-adb_vigor directory. I used his temporary method for recovery all the way through this and went with Amon Ra (Ra3.15PH98IMG.img). For Super User I used CMW-SuperSU-v0.94.zip but didn’t need it in the end because of the ROM I went with.
- Booted into recovery (using Scotty’s temporary method) and preformed a full backup.
- Shut down from AR (AmonRa) recovery
- Removed my main SD and used a spare 4Gb card and rebooted and put the phone is disk mode to transfer files to it.
- Using Infection 2.9.1 I did the following (a compilation of other’s and my instructions):
- Open the INFECTION-2.9.1.zip and extract the boot.img from it.
- place the boot.img into the mini-adb_Vigor directory (from Scotty’s guide).
- Put the INFECTION-2.9.1.zip on the root of temporary SD Card
- Put phone into Charge Mode
- Compare MD5 Sum (I used winmd5free)
- Type – CODE: adb reboot bootloader and [enter] to get to Fastboot
- Boot to Recovery using (Scotty’s temporary method) – CODE: fastboot boot Ra3.15PH98IMG.img
- When recovery loads scroll down and select "Wipe"
- Wipe the following: (x2 means do it twice, etc.)
- -Wipe ALL data/factory reset x2
- -Wipe /data x2
- -Wipe /cache x2
- -Wipe Dalvik-cache x3
- -Wipe /boot x2
- -Wipe /system x3
- -Optionally wiped:
- -Wipe battery stats
- -Wipe rotate settings
- Scroll to and press return
- Install Rom from SD Card using the ZIP menu while still in Recovery.
- Return to the main menu of the recovery and select "Developer Menu".
- Select "Reboot to bootloader
- Ensure your device is connected to your computer and that your device is now in fastboot mode. This is a white screen and it you should see FASTBOOT USB on it.
- While still using the terminal and still in the mini-adb_Vigor directory.
- Issue this command ---- fastboot flash boot boot.img to flash the boot.img we placed in the mini-adb_Vigor folder earlier. (when using Scotty’s temporary recovery method you probably do not need to flash this boot.img but I did just for good measure)
- When that flash has succeeded type this command on computer ----- fastboot reboot
Now the phone is unlocked and rooted with the ROM Infection 2.9.1
For wireless hotspot I did the following:
System Settings|More…|Tethering & portable hotspot-- turn on Portable Wi-Fi hotspot
Set up Wi-Fi hospot
I used the default SSID (AndroidAP) and security (WPA2) but changed the Password to a 63 printable ASCII character code. (You may want to get the hotspot working before changing any of these defaults.)
That was it. Easy peasy. Whew! This is a rundown of what I did. It may or may not work for you but good luck. Oh, and Scotty absolutely rocks!!!