Votes: 109 99.1%
  • no

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
Search This thread

pssnn

Feb 7, 2013
Midwest
Thanks to all for posting rooting info here. I just order the Homesync for $99 and cant wait to root it.

eyetek

Mar 21, 2009
Would someone please provide a link to the MJ3 firmware with English region?

Thanks

954wrecker

Jul 9, 2012
OnePlus 8
OnePlus 9
2yherega.jpg

i think i got an older one. no problem rooting it. seems OK so far running almost all my apps.

Last edited:

pvignola

Aug 17, 2011
I second the request from eyetek can anyone provide the MJ3 firmware for the USA?

Last edited:

fastguy

Feb 22, 2006
I don't know where the US firmware are but any MJ3 firmware can me made English. Try UK Turkey Singapore etc.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

pvignola

Aug 17, 2011
I don't know where the US firmware are but any MJ3 firmware can me made English. Try UK Turkey Singapore etc.

I believe that is true but the units are actually different models not sure flashing a US model with firmware from any other region would work.

---------- Post added at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 AM ----------

2yherega.jpg

i think i got an older one. no problem rooting it. seems OK so far running almost all my apps.

Do you know how to package that up into a firmware file? If so I would love to be able to get that file. Thanks.

fastguy

Feb 22, 2006
I believe that is true but the units are actually different models not sure flashing a US model with firmware from any other region would work.

---------- Post added at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 AM ----------

Do you know how to package that up into a firmware file? If so I would love to be able to get that file. Thanks.

Why do you think it' a different model? I don't think samsung produced a model which has different HW than rest of the world. They only change the CSC stuff which are specific to your country but I don't mind them.
I see your firmware is already the MH8, you can also find this verrsion from other countries from the website I've given. This version can't be rooted at the moment as far as I know.

pvignola

Aug 17, 2011
Why do you think it' a different model? I don't think samsung produced a model which has different HW than rest of the world. They only change the CSC stuff which are specific to your country but I don't mind them.
I see your firmware is already the MH8, you can also find this verrsion from other countries from the website I've given. This version can't be rooted at the moment as far as I know.

I noticed the PDA number is different for each of the regions. I am not sure that will cause any issues since I don't really know much about that.

fastguy

Feb 22, 2006
I noticed the PDA number is different for each of the regions. I am not sure that will cause any issues since I don't really know much about that.

That's not an issue. I've always installed firmware from different countries and never faced an issue except that you lose automatic software upgrades which i do not care anyway. However, if you insist on trying to find the US one then good luck as I could not find it in usual websites.

954wrecker

Jul 9, 2012
OnePlus 8
OnePlus 9
It connects fine as a drive to everything but my phone. The laptop, external hard drive, but the note 3 won't let me use it as a drive for storage.

Sent from my GT-B9150 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

eyetek

Mar 21, 2009
2yherega.jpg

That's good news, I just picked mine up today and checked my firmware and I've got the exact same as yours, but I'm concerned with your connection issues with your phone / Note devices as that could be problematic goring forward.

Oh and if anyone has an old Samsung Galaxy Nexus lying around as I did .... I side loaded the Homesync app and it works as a remote but does not have the mirroring capabilities of the newer Samsung devices like my Samsung S3

Last edited:

954wrecker

Jul 9, 2012
OnePlus 8
OnePlus 9
Last edited:
Reactions: Hugmebear

eyetek

Mar 21, 2009
Quick question from those that have accomplished Root on the Homesync, do I need to be in download mode to run Saferoot?

I am going to attempt Root later tonight and just wanted to clarify that step, I wasn't sure if that was used for a different Root method discussed earlier in the thread.

Any other guidance you may want to share would be great.

TIA

santiagodraco

May 20, 2012
Austin
Has anyone tried Poweramp with the rooted Homesync? That's my priority app at this point.

Also, how well do "unsupported" apps work while mirroring to a Galaxy Note 3?

Thanks!

954wrecker

Jul 9, 2012
OnePlus 8
OnePlus 9
Has anyone tried Poweramp with the rooted Homesync? That's my priority app at this point.

Also, how well do "unsupported" apps work while mirroring to a Galaxy Note 3?

Thanks!
I posted screenshots of almost all the apps I've tried and work fine just a few hours ago.
Poweramp works fine just like almost any other side loaded app I've tried. I cannot get my tmobile note 3 to play nice with the homesync and I've tried stock 4.4, a bunch of aosp, and a bunch of different kernels. The homesync app updates and downloads other programs and then constantly crashes so its useless now too.

Last edited:

das7771

May 9, 2009
Plantation
I posted screenshots of almost all the apps I've tried and work fine just a few hours ago.
Poweramp works fine just like almost any other side loaded app I've tried. I cannot get my tmobile note 3 to play nice with the homesync and I've tried stock 4.4, a bunch of aosp, and a bunch of different kernels. The homesync app updates and downloads other programs and then constantly crashes so its useless now too.

I just got my homesync today and my Note 3 works flawlessly with mine. My phone was replaced yesterday so I have not rooted or modified it in anyway. The app hasn't crashed once for me. Could be an issue with your phone. My new phone came with 4.4 on it.

Reactions: 954wrecker

eyetek

Mar 21, 2009
Attempted Root tonight but safe root stuck on waiting for phone but the Homesync shows up on my connections when I plug in the micro USB cable while running safe root.

Any ideas why safe root would not recognize the homesync when the computer clearly shows it and allows full file access.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hello guys, i know this is out of the topic but i cannot find anywhere to ask this,, i just got my homesync yesterday, immeiately i hook it up into my tv,, however i could not set up my device (note3) as administrator. also in the settings of the homesync, my samsung account's auto sync is disable and i could not enable it,, thanks in advance for the answer

Hi, I also had some issues with the original firmware. Try to upgrade it either from the UI (settings, about) or using Odin or Kies after downloading the latest firmware for your country from sammobile.com . I had MJ3 firmware which was working good.

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 AM ----------

Guys,

I finally managed to root the Homesync. Here's what I've done.
    1) Make sure you're at a firmware like MJ3 or earlier. I tried on ML4 but it did not work on this one.
    2) Download "saferoot" from the following link:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2565758
    3) Then read the following post:
    https://github.com/koush/Superuser/issues/196
    and download the following supersu update:
    http://download.clockworkmod.com/superuser/superuser.zip
    4) Extract the newly downloadaed superuser.zip and find the su binary in armeabi folder and the superuser.apk in the root folder of the extracted zip file
    5) Copy the new su binary and the superuser.apk to the files directory inside extracted saferoot directory. Replace the existing su and superuser.apk
    6) Enable development mode and then usb debugging on Homesync
    7) run saferoot, let it do its job

You shall now be rooted. If you want to keep it, don't upgrade to newer firmware. I'll try to see if there's a way to upgrade but still keep root.

PS. All credit goes to k1mu who built the saferoot tool and the discussion in the bug report, and the updated su from Koush.
    Few details on rooting and enabling play store, I added in SD referring this forum. Little clean version
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Can be rooted!
    1) Make sure you're at a firmware like MJ3 or earlier. I tried on ML4 but it did not work on this one.
    2) Download "saferoot" from the following link:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2565758
    3) Then read the following post:
    https://github.com/koush/Superuser/issues/196
    and download the following supersu update:
    http://download.clockworkmod.com/superuser/superuser.zip
    4) Extract the newly downloadaed superuser.zip and find the su binary in armeabi folder and the superuser.apk in the root folder of the extracted zip file
    5) Copy the new su binary and the superuser.apk to the files directory inside extracted saferoot directory. Replace the existing su and superuser.apk
    6) Enable development mode and then usb debugging on Homesync
    Enable development mode from Settings>About Device > Click on the Build number about several times until Development mode pops up, and then checked usb debugging box
    Connect USB cable from your PC to microUSB on HomeSync, install Samsung_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones (google it) so that the computer can connect to the HomeSync
    7) run saferoot, let it do its job
    go to saferoot folder on your PC, run the install.bat to begin rooted process.

Update : existing firmware MH8 is rootable too. below is the log

Code:
    D:\Homesync\saferoot>install.bat
    ---        Samsung Galaxy S4 Android 4.3 Root         ---
    --- Based on the CVE-2013-6282 exploit by cubeundcube ---

[*] Testing adb usability

Plug in your phone and Press any key to continue . . .

[*] Waiting for your phone to appear
    [*] Your phone is detected and ready for rooting.

[*] Sending files to your device...

[*] Starting rooting program.
    ro.build.product=spcwifi
    ro.build.id=JDQ39
    search kallsyms...
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    (kallsyms_addresses=c0604000)
    (kallsyms_num_syms=0000d760)
    kernel dump...
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

prepare_kernel_cred=c0051d10
    commit_creds=c0051920
    ptmx_fops=c0994888
    ptmx_open=c022e40c
    tty_init_dev=c0225f58
    tty_release=c022611c
    tty_fasync=c022502c
    ptm_driver=00000000

Succeeded in getroot!
    Remount success!
    Copying files..
    Done.. reboot to enable root!

[*] Checking if rooting succeeded
    [*] Removing temporary files...

[*] Trying to disable Knox...
    Unknown id: disable

[*] Rebooting... Please wait.
    [*] Waiting for device to re-appear...

Wait until your phone reboots,then unlock it and Press any key to continue . . .

On your phone, open SuperSU and let it update if it asks.
    When SuperSU is done updating, Press any key to continue . . .
    On your phone, watch for the SuperSU permission popup and give
    permission for ADB Shell to gain root permissions.

USAGE: sleep SECONDS
    [*] Disabling Knox
    Unknown id: disable
    [*] Setting Permissions
    unknown option -- o
    Usage: su [options] [--] [-] [LOGIN] [--] [args...]

Options:
      --daemon                      start the su daemon agent
      -c, --command COMMAND         pass COMMAND to the invoked shell
      -h, --help                    display this help message and exit
      -, -l, --login                pretend the shell to be a login shell
      -m, -p,
      --preserve-environment        do not change environment variables
      -s, --shell SHELL             use SHELL instead of the default /system/bin/sh
      -u                            display the multiuser mode and exit
      -v, --version                 display version number and exit
      -V                            display version code and exit,
                                    this is used almost exclusively by Superuser.apk

unknown option -- f

Options:
      -m, -p,

unknown option -- f

Options:
      -m, -p,

Usage: chmod [OPTION] <MODE> <FILE>
      -R, --recursive         change files and directories recursively
      --help                  display this help and exit
    Unknown id: /system/xbin/super
    [*] Installing busybox
    unknown option -- install

Options:
      -m, -p,

unknown option -- o

Options:
      -m, -p,

--- All Finished ---
    Press any key to continue . . .

You can download any MJ3, such as the one from Turkey or Singapore, etc. Installing this with Odin will make you lose all what's inside the Homesync (including the 1TB drive content), so make sure to backup. (Thanks Fastguy)
    http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/1/?model=GT-B9150&pcode=XSP#firmware

ENABLING PLAY STORE
    Note: You have to root first,
    This is simplest method found and you dont need to edit build.prop. if this helps, consider donating app developer.
    Steps:
    1.Download Market helper from http://codekiem.com/market-helper/latest
    2.Install and open
    3.It will ask for root permissions, grant
    4.Use settings as for nexus 7
    5. Enable device on google dashboard

TA DAA.. you are all set.

If you reboot, you have to follow above steps again. Anyway this device supposed to be turn on all time (personal cloud) so this should not matter.

Full steps
    http://codekiem.com/2013/02/13/market-helper/
    Guys my Homesync's emmc got fried, I can't write or delete anything anymore. So I will open the box, extract the HDD and retire it. I won't be contributing in this thread anymore.
    LOulOo I am tempted to try to flash Nexus 10 recovery or the 4.2.2 nexus factory system.img

I spent a lot of hours yesterday trying to bring a stock navbar with clock and notifications but I failed. I also still can't see the usual apps in Play store although I did all possible changes in the build.prop.

I will hope that the system.img from nexus 10 is compatible :)

I also wrote to Chainfire for a flash kernel for Mobile Odin but he did not write back yet.

In fact it's still OK. I'm running SMB server and SSH server on it. They run on non standard ports but all my pc are Linux so it's not an issue.
    I have Torrent for downloading, Xbmc for media, bittorent sync for syncing. Biggest annoyance is the timestamp issue that's bugging all phones and tablets with ext4 sdcards and that play store is a joke with nearly all apps not compatible while most of them run just fine. Why did Sammy do something like this is beyond my understanding.