Bleaching the nexus Bumper case

Search This thread

Dragn4rce

Jun 29, 2012
Anaheim
I got my red bumper case today (possibly a knock off and it looks used but IDC) and I was wondering if it would be fine if I could bleach it white if I ever get bored of red. Maybe even dying it a different color like Blue(that possible too?)

The case has rubber(right?) so I dunno if it's fine or not when I decide it is time. If so how would I do it? o_O

Sent from my Ñ£×Ú$ 5

finalhit

Jan 12, 2009
374083-futurama_fry_looking_squint_super.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

kpjimmy

Jan 20, 2009
San Antonio TX
Nothing Phone 1
Google Pixel 7
And that will be fine? Never done any bleaching to these plastic.

Sent from my Ñ£×Ú$ 5

Plasti-Dip is just something to coat things. Usually used to coat ends of tools for better grip. But it has been used in the car modding world for a while now. I personally never used it. The coating is more like a matte rubber coating, and it's not bleach. Also plasti-dip can be removed rather easily if you wanted to.

Rarscaryfrosty

Jul 30, 2011
Plasti-Dip is just something to coat things. Usually used to coat ends of tools for better grip. But it has been used in the car modding world for a while now. I personally never used it. The coating is more like a matte rubber coating, and it's not bleach. Also plasti-dip can be removed rather easily if you wanted to.

Vinyl dye or RitDye that case, it'll be permanent and never rub or wear off. This process will work on almost any plastic.

thetonyclifton

Jan 5, 2014
I already dyed my light grey bumper (which tarnished very quickly) dark grey/black to cover the design flaw. I used RitDye it works fine just takes a few hours in the dye.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: Dragn4rce

LosAngeles

Mar 1, 2010
I already dyed my light grey bumper (which tarnished very quickly) dark grey/black to cover the design flaw. I used RitDye it works fine just takes a few hours in the dye.

What process did you use to dye it? Pictures of your dyes case if possible? I have a black case but my brother ordered a grey one. Will probably have to dye it after a bit

Rarscaryfrosty

Jul 30, 2011

Dragn4rce

Jun 29, 2012
Anaheim

Rarscaryfrosty

Jul 30, 2011
And you could re-dye it a different color right?

Sent from my Ñ£×Ú$ 5

It is possible to redye already dyed plastics. The process is a bit more difficult, but not impossible. For example, if you tried to dye a black piece of plastic white, it may turn out to be gray in color. Even with repeated dyes, it will most likely remain gray, but a lighter shade each time.

Reactions: Dragn4rce

thetonyclifton

Jan 5, 2014
What process did you use to dye it? Pictures of your dyes case if possible? I have a black case but my brother ordered a grey one. Will probably have to dye it after a bit

I used the grey RitDye. I placed it in warm but not boiling water (with the dye mixed in) I kept it on a very low heat and moved the case about in the mixture every now and again. The inside back of the case is a different material and did not take the dye, everything else did...although the edge of the case (the more flexible part around the screen of the phone) ended up needed a lot longer in the mixture to dye meaning the rest of the case got very dark so I had to go for an almost but not quite black. The case was probably in the dye for about 2 hours.

I would guess that the grey case could be dyed a colour like red or blue but I didnt want to run up against the discolouration problem again so just went dark. Since I had already been refunded for the case due to the colour problem I took a risk and dyed the case.

You probably can't see the nexus logo in this photo but it is still visible from certain angles and certain light conditions but I actually prefer cases without branding.

Attachments

• 1391012792439.jpg
    1391012792439.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:

thetonyclifton

Jan 5, 2014
Not on your hands or anything, but if you scrub at it for the first little while with a wet tissue it would colour the tissue.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    374083-futurama_fry_looking_squint_super.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

And you could re-dye it a different color right?

Sent from my Ñ£×Ú$ 5

It is possible to redye already dyed plastics. The process is a bit more difficult, but not impossible. For example, if you tried to dye a black piece of plastic white, it may turn out to be gray in color. Even with repeated dyes, it will most likely remain gray, but a lighter shade each time.