[Q] Investigating really slow Nexus 7 2012

Search This thread

edarchis

May 12, 2011
Hi,

My Nexus 7 2012 (very first batch) is quite often behaving really slowly. It is common for the settings screen to take 15-20 seconds to open. From the homescreen. With no running app.

Here is a video after I've reset everything to factory defaults, let it run and index things on its own for an hour and then manually upgrade a small app:

At other times, the speed is pretty decent for such a tablet. I just can't figure out why this difference. I've tried to check for wakelocks, tried a logcat and many other things. I can't make any sense from it.

Rebooting the tablet seems to have 50% chance of fixing the problem. So it's probably not a memory leak.

The tablet is rooted, on the latest build and I noticed that App Ops X survived the reset but no funky software is installed and the behaviour predates the installation of App Ops X. The network is not a problem here. The 2013 Nexus 7 of my wife works just fine and so does the Nexus 5 taking the above video.

How can I investigate this ? Is there an app that can run various reliable diagnostics to find out what kind of activity is causing trouble ? I tried to use logcat but the result is quite verbose and nothing rings a bell. I would really like to understand rather than just return it and wait or, worse, buy a new device.

Thanks.

droid4lif3

Mar 17, 2013
Los Angeles
Let me know if you find a solution my Nexus 7 has been really slow, Im rooted with CM11 M6 & KK GAPPS, TWRP 2.7.0.0 I dont know what happened to this tablet.

wilzard

Mar 5, 2011
Portland
www.facebook.com
Hi,

My Nexus 7 2012 (very first batch) is quite often behaving really slowly. It is common for the settings screen to take 15-20 seconds to open. From the homescreen. With no running app.

At other times, the speed is pretty decent for such a tablet. I just can't figure out why this difference. I've tried to check for wakelocks, tried a logcat and many other things. I can't make any sense from it.

Rebooting the tablet seems to have 50% chance of fixing the problem. So it's probably not a memory leak.

The tablet is rooted, on the latest build and I noticed that App Ops X survived the reset but no funky software is installed and the behaviour predates the installation of App Ops X. The network is not a problem here. The 2013 Nexus 7 of my wife works just fine and so does the Nexus 5 taking the above video.

How can I investigate this ? Is there an app that can run various reliable diagnostics to find out what kind of activity is causing trouble ? I tried to use logcat but the result is quite verbose and nothing rings a bell. I would really like to understand rather than just return it and wait or, worse, buy a new device.

Thanks.
Let me know if you find a solution my Nexus 7 has been really slow, Im rooted with CM11 M6 & KK GAPPS, TWRP 2.7.0.0 I dont know what happened to this tablet.

Mine too. Nexus 7 2012 16GB running PA 3.99 (JB4.3). PA Kernel and GAPPS, PA launcher or whatever one came with stock PA.

It takes upwards of 10 seconds to unlock frequently, even from a fresh boot, and without any security just a simple swipe unlock.
App drawer can take 10-15 seconds to open.

If I touch too much during these lag times I will often get a launcher not responding error.

I've about given up myself and am looking at other ROMs. Before I reflash though I may try a different kernel.
I'm downloading a few right now and I'll hopefully remember to report back my results.

Nasalhair

May 2, 2012
Mine is suddenly unbearably slow too. It's a 2012 edition and I'm not rooted, running the stock software. I've tried clearing caches (app and system), doing a factory reset, flashing the factory image, but it just runs like a dog. When I switch it on it takes a few minutes to become responsive, and apps regularly say they will take upwards of 20 minutes to download updates - small apps too, about 3MB. The download issues are nothing to do with my wifi as the tablet is slow wherever I use it, and my Nexus 5 downloads the same things in a matter of seconds. Would love to know what I could do to fix my N7. I don't want to root it or flash a custom ROM - don't want to go down that route - I just want the great performance that I had from it before.

PrizmaticSmoke

Jan 29, 2014
I was having the same issues described here as well after owning the tablet for awhile, and tried every custom ROM, kernel, and android version I could find for our device along the way, in the hopes of finding a solution.

The one thing that finally helped for me, was formatting the device to use F2FS file system format on all partitions. The initial setup is a bit tedious, as you will lose ALL data on the device, so first must back up everything, then restore it all once the device has been reformatted. But the payoff has been huge for both me and my wife.

Making this switch has made both of our tablets usable again, even enjoyable! It's well worth the effort put in to make the switch.

See this thread here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2678140, which has the modified recovery, files, and instructions needed to convert. It also helps to first make sure you can successfully use fastboot/ADB commands from your PC to the device, in case you get into any trouble along the way.

There's also an app now available for converting any rom to all-f2fs (prior to flashing), it's cheap and well worth the cost (about the price of a cup of coffee) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.runnerway.converttof2fs&hl=en.

Last edited: