BT Headset recommendations...

Search This thread

gagis

Jun 14, 2005
I have the BT800 and so far my experience with it is pretty negative.

Other than the fact that it just doesn't sit will on my ear, all the people that I have phone conversations with tell me that my voice keeps cutting off every couple of seconds. They have a hard time understanding what I'm saying.

Anybody else have this behaviour? Which BT headset do you guys recommend?

atekant

Aug 10, 2004
YVR / NYC
I am also looking for recommendations for a new BT headset, but let me also contribute with what I had (lost it now).

I had the Bluespoon AX. It was by far the most comfortable thing I have ever put in my ear. It is so small and light and comfortable, that you almost forget it is in there, and at the end of the day, you find it in your ear by accident sometimes.

That said, when I lost it I did not shed a tear. Using it with Universal was quite painful. The sound would crackle if the AX and the Universal were on different sides of my body. Not a distance issue, but somehow an interference from my body in between.

The AX is useless in any environment there is noise and/or wind. I suppose they could not use a directional mic because the mic is so far away from your mouth (practically *in* your ear). It worked fine when I was sitting in a quiet place though, but then...

With the Universal, only the handsfree profile is available. While this worked fine for outgoing calls (can make voice dial calls and all), for some reason on incoming calls, when the AX is active, Universal would not ring. The only call indicator is on the AX and if you don't happen to be wearing it at the time, you will miss the call.

I have been reading up on other models. The AX2 apparently has better reception, but I am not sure about noise and the BT software problems.
The digital model has noise cancelling, but it is way too expensive to buy it on faith alone.

philtech44

Oct 31, 2005
London
Motorola H500

atekant said:
I am also looking for recommendations for a new BT headset......
Using it with Universal was quite painful. The sound would crackle if the AX and the Universal were on different sides of my body. Not a distance issue, but somehow an interference from my body in between.

Same problem with my Motorola H500... anyone any ideas how to avoid this apart from buying another model :)

lie_ui

Oct 12, 2005
TX, US
I have HBH 662 (Sony Erricson). Its very tiny, formerly it did not fit easily in my ear, but now I used to it, though I do not like to have it on all day long. The sound quality is too low/not loud enough though I set to the highest volume already. The battery life is not good, it barely survives my every day calls, I'm not a super call person, just average.
Things that really annoying:
- The Caller ID display is too small to read and it only shows the first half of the caller's number then scroll the remaining digits.
IT DOES NOT show the caller's name. Have been patiently enough to wait for this to be fixed by MS/imate/other vendor whatsoever. If anybody has a workaround, PLS.. PLS... PLS... share....
- The ringer is very low and intended to tell you there is a call if you have it on your ear. Does not have a vibrate function. If the Universal is in silent mode, most likely I cannot tell when there is an incoming call.

lie_ui

Oct 12, 2005
TX, US
I have HBH 662 (Sony Erricson). Its very tiny, formerly it did not fit easily in my ear, but now I used to it, though I do not like to have it on all day long. The sound quality is too low/not loud enough though I set to the highest volume already. The battery life is not good, it barely survives my every day calls, I'm not a super call person, just average.
Things that really annoying:
- The Caller ID display is too small to read and it only shows the first half of the caller's number then scroll the remaining digits.
IT DOES NOT show the caller's name. Have been patiently enough to wait for this to be fixed by MS/imate/other vendor whatsoever. If anybody has a workaround, PLS.. PLS... PLS... share....
- The ringer is very low and intended to tell you there is a call if you have it on your ear. Does not have a vibrate function. If the Universal is in silent mode, most likely I cannot tell when there is an incoming call.

ninja396

Nov 22, 2005
Bt Headsets

I am using the Bluestreak G2 headset which seems to work O.K. and Has About 8 hours of use. Background noise is acceptable but it doesn't seem to do noise cancellation.
Have noticed that if WIFI is active with BT the headset drops out a little. Seems O.K. If Wifi is off & BT is on. Not ideal if you want to use Skype with BT.

jah

Have tried the following with my Exec:

- Tekkeon ET3000 (with display like the BT800 but better), great battery life, good volume, okay quality sound, okay comfort, no problem with call transfers from the Exec

- SE HBH-608, fantastic battery life, very comfortable, good quality sound, very comfortable, okay volume (seems limted by the Exec)

- Jabra BT800, okay battery life, okay comfort, good sound quality, okay volume, seems a bit slow transferring calls between the headset and the Exec

V-Ger

Dec 8, 2005
Have you tried putting the names/numbers also on the SIM Card?! I read somewhere that headset profile is using the SIM Card's phonebook...

lie_ui said:
-

lie_ui

Oct 12, 2005
TX, US
No, it does not work either, even though the contact name is saved in the SIM card. Have been searching for workaround/solution but have not found any good answer yet.

gps338

Nov 8, 2005
UK
globalsat

I have the Globalsat gps338 ,and it works very well ,use with gpstuner ,and teletype gps software which is slow to update on the Mda pro but the bluetooth gps pair well with the program and with 9 satellites showing indoor .Any Sirf III chipset will be ok.The only thing that does not work in the universal is the gpsinfo program that comes with the gps338.
Anyone with the gps338 ? works well with mapapolis too.

Riceburner

Mar 17, 2005
gagis said:
I have the BT800 and so far my experience with it is pretty negative.

Other than the fact that it just doesn't sit will on my ear, all the people that I have phone conversations with tell me that my voice keeps cutting off every couple of seconds. They have a hard time understanding what I'm saying.

Anybody else have this behaviour? Which BT headset do you guys recommend?

You mean the Jabra?

Update the Firmware - there's a patch available on Jabra.com - I did thsi recently and it's a big improvement. Even my wife can hear me properly now.

(not sure if that's a good thing or not to be honest.....)

Riceburner

Mar 17, 2005
Re: Motorola H500

philtech44 said:
atekant said:
I am also looking for recommendations for a new BT headset......
Using it with Universal was quite painful. The sound would crackle if the AX and the Universal were on different sides of my body. Not a distance issue, but somehow an interference from my body in between.

Same problem with my Motorola H500... anyone any ideas how to avoid this apart from buying another model :)

what, like carrying the phone on the same side of your body as the headset??

;) (Like it says to do in the instructions... ;) )

gagis

Jun 14, 2005
Thx Riceburner!

figures! I've been checking the Jabra site for an update repeatedly but of course as luck will have it, as soon as I stopped looking...there it is.

I will update my BT800 tonight and see what happens. Tell me, did you have the same problems? Voice kept cutting off? All around bad performance from this headset?

thx.

marcov

Nov 3, 2005
motorola H700, great audio, great look, light and good batteries and......................same mini USB charger :D :D :D :D

gagis

Jun 14, 2005
Well...no improvements.

I updated the firmware on my Jabra BT800 and although I noticed an improvement in the time it takes to transfer the call to the headset, I still have the same problem with my voice cutting off.

I tested it repeatedly by making more than one phone call and the result was always the same. While I'm speaking, the person on the other end says that my voice keeps cutting off. Therefore beginning or end of words are totally cut off. Very frustrating to have a conversation when the person on the other end keeps saying "what?".

If nobody else is having this problem with the BT800 and the Universal, then I guess I got stuck with a faulty headset?

DrSirLes

Dec 16, 2005
i have the hbh 662 sony. not impressed with it to be honest. unless i am less than 1/2 metre from it, the quality of the line deteriorates alarmingly. I was hoping to be able to stick it on the kitchen table and then walk around having a phone call. I can't do this.

Also had ideas for having the universal in my pocket, and using the headset almost as a standalone phone. This doesn't work that well either. tried the headset with a orange c500 , and it was so much better.

also upgraded to the latest radio update (1.04.02). this didnt do anything for the quality of the line either.

is it the universal or the sh1te ms bluetooth stack? how does the jabra bt 800 compare?

(i have the orange m5000 with a qtek rom)

henftling

Jan 3, 2006
Munich
Nextlink Bluespoon AX2

Hi there,

using Bluespoon AX2 with my universal(MDA pro) with NO compromises.
Have a cabrio and even driving the car sound quality is good.
You can pair EIGHT devices on this headset simoultanesly and supports Bluetoth1.2
Good stuff for 60€
...and by the way...it is SMALL and easy to put on as you can put it IN your ear not around

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 28
  • bluespoon_001box.gif
    bluespoon_001box.gif
    8.7 KB · Views: 39

zanfo

Jul 16, 2005
hi everybody.I want to buy a headset for my mda pro with qtek rom(radio 1.13).
I'd like to spent about 50 euros.Any suggest?