Screen capture app for Atrix *Updated 9/14*

Search This thread

mindphaze

Feb 22, 2011
Hey guys,

I wrote a screen capture app that works for my Atrix since I couldn't find one that worked that was on the market. Here is the first version so I am looking for suggestions/bugs/improvements, etc.

I've only tested it on the atrix because that is the only phone I have, but if you guys could test it on other phones and let me know if it works or not on them, then that would be great.

Edit: Finally posting a new version. *Should* address most of the issues/requests I've seen unless I forgot something. Still haven't had a chance to test on any other devices but it will actually display errors now so I can see why the devices are failing.

Version:
0.6 - Fixed some bugs, screenshots should show up right away in gallery now, added an option to shutdown the services after grabbing the screenshot.
0.8 - Fixed shake sensor bug, added option to invert colors to fix colors for some devices, and service should stay on after reboots.
0.85 - Fixes for some crash reports. Better support for other devices.

Also, I finally added the app to market for those who want to get automatic app updates. I'll still post newest versions here for those that prefer to download from xda.

Market link

update: I haven't had time to work on the app at all lately so if anybody wants the source to fix any bugs or improvements then you can get it from https://bitbucket.org/mindphaze/screen-grabber

Attachments

• screengrab_0.85.apk
    51.9 KB · Views: 25,372
Last edited:

rozzco

Mar 4, 2011
Works great. I would like to see an option for the output folder.

Sent from my MB860 using XDA Premium App

franciscojavierleon

Jul 16, 2010
Maracaibo
so, what was the roadblock that was impeding capturing the screen with the actual programs? is it something tegra based? or was it something way easy? where did you find the information needed to make this?

crea78

Jan 17, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Nice app. After the app takes a screenshot, does it save to gallery b/c I can't find it for some reason.

Sent from my Atrix 4G using Tapatalk Pro

mindphaze

Feb 22, 2011
so, what was the roadblock that was impeding capturing the screen with the actual programs? is it something tegra based? or was it something way easy? where did you find the information needed to make this?

Not sure exactly what the problem is, but when trying to read the framebuffer (/dev/graphics/fb0) directly I would get an error. Google provides /system/bin/fbread that grabs the framebuffer so it wasn't anything complicated to just call that to get the buffer.

Got the info from reading the tegra source code.

Reactions: ksekhar

PhillyBlunt474

Feb 22, 2011
First bug I've ran into is it unexpecidently stopped running when I connected my phone to my computer in mass storage mode.

ksekhar

Aug 14, 2008
Stockholm
Works great. Thank you for sharing with us.
One bug or question. How do i stop it from taking any screenshots anymore? I unchecked first two options (enable screen capture and shake sensor) but it still take screenshots if I shake it. Not a big problem but thinking how many it will be taking when i go for run in the morning :)

raybond25

Apr 26, 2008
Ottawa
Works great. Thank you for sharing with us.
One bug or question. How do i stop it from taking any screenshots anymore? I unchecked first two options (enable screen capture and shake sensor) but it still take screenshots if I shake it. Not a big problem but thinking how many it will be taking when i go for run in the morning :)
lol! little did you know, it doubles as a step counter!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,

I wrote a screen capture app that works for my Atrix since I couldn't find one that worked that was on the market. Here is the first version so I am looking for suggestions/bugs/improvements, etc.

I've only tested it on the atrix because that is the only phone I have, but if you guys could test it on other phones and let me know if it works or not on them, then that would be great.

Edit: Finally posting a new version. *Should* address most of the issues/requests I've seen unless I forgot something. Still haven't had a chance to test on any other devices but it will actually display errors now so I can see why the devices are failing.

Version:
    0.6 - Fixed some bugs, screenshots should show up right away in gallery now, added an option to shutdown the services after grabbing the screenshot.
    0.8 - Fixed shake sensor bug, added option to invert colors to fix colors for some devices, and service should stay on after reboots.
    0.85 - Fixes for some crash reports. Better support for other devices.

Also, I finally added the app to market for those who want to get automatic app updates. I'll still post newest versions here for those that prefer to download from xda.

Market link

update: I haven't had time to work on the app at all lately so if anybody wants the source to fix any bugs or improvements then you can get it from https://bitbucket.org/mindphaze/screen-grabber
    Sorry I've been busy with work lately so the next update has been slower than I hoped, but I should have a new version ready sometime this week. It should have most of the requests I've seen, such as better icon, exit button, long-press search support, output folder settings and notification that a screenshot was taken.

If there is anything I am missing you'd like added besides those then let me know.
    can someone give me an example path to a internal storage folder for output folder?
    thanks

/mnt/sdcard/screenshots is default internal. /mnt/sdcard-ext/screenshots would be for actual sdcard

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App
    Could please add an option to disable the service if you press on it in the notification bar? Shaking and search button are enough possibilities for me to take a screenshot but stop the service could be more convenient.

I'm not sure about this request as it it easy enough to disable the service in the main screen. I'll think about it if I get any more requests about it. Thanks
    props!!! thanks a lot bro