TouchWiz 4.3 on a Tablet is a Screw Job

Search This thread

Stocklone

Aug 18, 2010
How do I know? I just played with the 4.4 skin at best buy on the Pro models. They seemed to have fixed nearly every design issue I had with 4.3 on my 2014. It really feels like a tablet skin instead of a phone skin. I'm glad Samsung fixed it but why do such a terrible job in the first place? Was my $600 not worth their time?

Incredibly excited for 4.4 update. It will be like getting a brand new device! I really hope they have some kind of option to remap the menu button to a task switching button. That would be the ultimate.

Reactions: ziotom2

Srikar_NBK

Dec 21, 2010
I checked the pro series 4.4 skins in best buy too. Although the skin seems to be more tablet oriented, the TouchWiz lag still exists. The device was still not snappy enough

jherring002

Nov 7, 2013
Just bought Nova With the $25 credit they gave me to the google play store. I've Used the free version for ages. Finally broke down and bought the pro.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

RussellEstridge25

Oct 30, 2011
North Branch
Just bought Nova With the $25 credit they gave me to the google play store. I've Used the free version for ages. Finally broke down and bought the pro.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Haha you literally just inspired me to do the same. Had the 25.00 credit and then some from the Google survey app. In case anyone didn't know download the Google survey app and get free Google play credits. Totally worth it.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
How do I know? I just played with the 4.4 skin at best buy on the Pro models. They seemed to have fixed nearly every design issue I had with 4.3 on my 2014. It really feels like a tablet skin instead of a phone skin. I'm glad Samsung fixed it but why do such a terrible job in the first place? Was my $600 not worth their time?

Incredibly excited for 4.4 update. It will be like getting a brand new device! I really hope they have some kind of option to remap the menu button to a task switching button. That would be the ultimate.

I played with a N12 at BB and came away with a different opinion. Most of the differences between it and the N10.1-14 were pretty minor and aesthetic. M-UX is of course new but did you look at the number and type of widgets available? Pretty sparse. What used to be My Magazine is now broken up so each category in what was the "News" section are now individual widgets. There's no Facebook for the Social widget either just like My Magazine. There's e-mail, calendar, and all the S Apps like Hub, Apps, WatchOn etc. There's Hancom widgets but we're probably not getting it (unless you side load it as explained in the apps section of the forum). Not much else. And at CES there were mini tiles shown that acted like shortcuts to a bunch of common/popular apps; gone. Unless Samsung's got big future plans for stocking M-UX with widgets and shortcuts I'd be fine without having a mandatory page of it on my home screen.

In terms of TW (now "classic") the settings menus and some others have been freshened and the notification panel drop down has been reformatted/resized so it's more appropriate for a tablet. There are more Pen Window apps and the way you launch multitasking's been revised to "swipe from the side" which now conflicts with other apps (EG: Astro) that also swipe from the side. You can now also cascade (overlay) Multi View windows which was a N10.1-12 feature that got left out of the N10.1-14 launch ROM.

What other major changes or differences did you notice that I missed?

As for Samsung's interpretation of 4.4 over 4.3 I've been using an "official" AT&T 4.4 ROM for about a month on my N3. The only functional changes are the location and wireless control panels have been re-worked so they are much clearer and easier to interpret and the lock screen has a "one app" option that's set to camera by default but can be changed to any app. It can also be set to "4.3 style" which I chose because there are more options including launching five apps from the lock screen. The notification bar icons are white (wow! :rolleyes: ), there's a new slightly revised default system font, and there are some minor UI graphic changes. You have to look pretty hard to see the differences between 4.3 and 4.4 as designed by Samsung. The biggest difference I've seen is my battery life went up and the N3 which was already fluid on 4.3 became more so. Having played with M-UX and come away meh, performance improvements are what I'm looking forward to most in our update. That along with some of the cleaned up menus and new Multi View functionality.

clouds5

Feb 8, 2011
I don't even know anymore what touchwiz looks like even though i have a samsung smartphone and the note 10.1 :) so many great launchers around.
I'm still looking forward to 4.4 because of the redesigned settings and notification. And hopefully bug fixes. And i think it would be the first time i actually have the most recent android version on one of my devices...

Stocklone

Aug 18, 2010
Two words:

Nova. Launcher.

I don't give a flying crap about the launcher. I use Action Launcher. I left Nova a long time ago. Don't miss it one bit.

The task switching actually being at the bottom instead of the middle of the screen and the notification drawer not being a phone one anymore plus it having multiple sliders instead of one giant huge slider show Samsung put a lot more thought into 4.4.

Those two things drove me nuts. Anytime I have to use a phone app on a tablet I die a little on the inside.

I also like the icons in 4.4 way better than 4.3.

Stocklone

Aug 18, 2010
I played with a N12 at BB and came away with a different opinion. Most of the differences between it and the N10.1-14 were pretty minor and aesthetic. M-UX is of course new but did you look at the number and type of widgets available? Pretty sparse. What used to be My Magazine is now broken up so each category in what was the "News" section are now individual widgets. There's no Facebook for the Social widget either just like My Magazine. There's e-mail, calendar, and all the S Apps like Hub, Apps, WatchOn etc. There's Hancom widgets but we're probably not getting it (unless you side load it as explained in the apps section of the forum). Not much else. And at CES there were mini tiles shown that acted like shortcuts to a bunch of common/popular apps; gone. Unless Samsung's got big future plans for stocking M-UX with widgets and shortcuts I'd be fine without having a mandatory page of it on my home screen.

In terms of TW (now "classic") the settings menus and some others have been freshened and the notification panel drop down has been reformatted/resized so it's more appropriate for a tablet. There are more Pen Window apps and the way you launch multitasking's been revised to "swipe from the side" which now conflicts with other apps (EG: Astro) that also swipe from the side. You can now also cascade (overlay) Multi View windows which was a N10.1-12 feature that got left out of the N10.1-14 launch ROM.

What other major changes or differences did you notice that I missed?

As for Samsung's interpretation of 4.4 over 4.3 I've been using an "official" AT&T 4.4 ROM for about a month on my N3. The only functional changes are the location and wireless control panels have been re-worked so they are much clearer and easier to interpret and the lock screen has a "one app" option that's set to camera by default but can be changed to any app. It can also be set to "4.3 style" which I chose because there are more options including launching five apps from the lock screen. The notification bar icons are white (wow! :rolleyes: ), there's a new slightly revised default system font, and there are some minor UI graphic changes. You have to look pretty hard to see the differences between 4.3 and 4.4 as designed by Samsung. The biggest difference I've seen is my battery life went up and the N3 which was already fluid on 4.3 became more so. Having played with M-UX and come away meh, performance improvements are what I'm looking forward to most in our update. That along with some of the cleaned up menus and new Multi View functionality.

Didn't get a chance to play with the multi-tasking tab. So what side do you swipe from? Please tell me it's not the left where every single side menu is?

I hate nearly every Samsung app and use none of their widgets. I buy the Note for the S Pen which I use with non-Samsung apps. I'm just incredibly tired of using a 10.1" phone so hell yeah I'm excited about 4.4. It looks like your priorities are quite a bit different than mine so it makes sense your take away is different than mine.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Didn't get a chance to play with the multi-tasking tab. So what side do you swipe from? Please tell me it's not the left where every single side menu is?

Here's how it works now. If it's like the current set up you can, when it's open, drag it from side-to-side if you want.

Here's the Tab|Pro 10.1 manual. I'd imagine everything in it will be similar to what we're getting. Jury's still out on how Samsung's going to deal with the "menu" vs. "tasks" capacitive button issue. A pic of the soon to be released VZW N10.1-14 still shows our menu button so it wouldn't appear Samsung's planning any physical changes for the N10.1-14 down the road. So we'll either have a capacitive button that says one thing and does another (menu=tasks) or the s/w for the N10.1-14 will be adjusted to still support the menu button. Even though Google's killed the menu button in 4.4 Samsung's revived it because it still works the exact same way on the N3 4.4 ROM.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...axy_Tab_PRO_KK_English_User_Manual_NAE_F2.pdf

I'm just incredibly tired of using a 10.1" phone so hell yeah I'm excited about 4.4.

Google's the one to blame for the phone UI. The unified UI works fine on a 7-8" display that's primarily used in portrait mode but looks goofy on anything larger. Like this... ;)

The Nexus 10's not a hell of a lot better than the N10.1-14. The only glaring blunder on Samsung's part was the full-screen notification panel but other than that there's not a big difference UI treatment wise between the Nexus 10 and N10.1-14.

It looks like your priorities are quite a bit different than mine so it makes sense your take away is different than mine.

Kind of polar opposites. I use pretty much all the features (that work well) in TW and have most stock Google apps disabled in settings. We totally agree about S Pen being the purchase driver for a Note though. ;)

Reactions: Srikar_NBK

Curtis_HTC

Oct 31, 2009
Chicago/Atlanta/Las Vegas
I'm running Buzz launcher, it's good on battery life and smooth, apex is good as well, a new update will be coming out in a few months for 4.4 let's hope they give us the new pro features when it comes out. I would also like to go back to the virtual buttons like the last model, I keep hitting the back and menu button in portrait.

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

RussellEstridge25

Oct 30, 2011
North Branch
I'm running Buzz launcher, it's good on battery life and smooth, apex is good as well, a new update will be coming out in a few months for 4.4 let's hope they give us the new pro features when it comes out. I would also like to go back to the virtual buttons like the last model, I keep hitting the back and menu button in portrait.

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I keep hitting the back button in portrait too. But I doubt virtual buttons are coming to this tablet.

Make sure to watch the sunset at least once a day :cool:

Duly.noted

Dec 5, 2013
Nova + spen is king!! I have nova on everything I use. I have put slide from the side apps on before but I always forget that I have them. I bought the note 2014 for the spen and snote (I format a basic chart for personal training sessions to fill out) and when I get my 12.2 it will be that much better. I would prefer to have the old notification bar in the bottom corner though :/ I used to use that mod on my note 2 and I loved it!!!!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

maximus96

May 9, 2013
what features are you using with nova prime over nova free? i have about $75 in google credits but just can't bring myself to spending the $4 or whatever it is for prime...it seems like the free version has everything i need...i don't use gestures or care to increase icon size or have folders in the app drawer...i'm curious to find out, thanks!

Reactions: pierrekid

Stocklone

Aug 18, 2010
what features are you using with nova prime over nova free? i have about $75 in google credits but just can't bring myself to spending the $4 or whatever it is for prime...it seems like the free version has everything i need...i don't use gestures or care to increase icon size or have folders in the app drawer...i'm curious to find out, thanks!

My favorite thing to with Nova+ is get rid of the app drawer shortcut and make the home button open up the app drawer. Not sure if that is a plus feature or not.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Two words:

Nova. Launcher.

Here's how it works now. If it's like the current set up you can, when it's open, drag it from side-to-side if you want.

Here's the Tab|Pro 10.1 manual. I'd imagine everything in it will be similar to what we're getting. Jury's still out on how Samsung's going to deal with the "menu" vs. "tasks" capacitive button issue. A pic of the soon to be released VZW N10.1-14 still shows our menu button so it wouldn't appear Samsung's planning any physical changes for the N10.1-14 down the road. So we'll either have a capacitive button that says one thing and does another (menu=tasks) or the s/w for the N10.1-14 will be adjusted to still support the menu button. Even though Google's killed the menu button in 4.4 Samsung's revived it because it still works the exact same way on the N3 4.4 ROM.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...axy_Tab_PRO_KK_English_User_Manual_NAE_F2.pdf

I'm just incredibly tired of using a 10.1" phone so hell yeah I'm excited about 4.4.

Google's the one to blame for the phone UI. The unified UI works fine on a 7-8" display that's primarily used in portrait mode but looks goofy on anything larger. Like this... ;)

The Nexus 10's not a hell of a lot better than the N10.1-14. The only glaring blunder on Samsung's part was the full-screen notification panel but other than that there's not a big difference UI treatment wise between the Nexus 10 and N10.1-14.

It looks like your priorities are quite a bit different than mine so it makes sense your take away is different than mine.

Kind of polar opposites. I use pretty much all the features (that work well) in TW and have most stock Google apps disabled in settings. We totally agree about S Pen being the purchase driver for a Note though. ;)