[Q] {ISSUE} Nexus 4 - Microphone does not work on normal mode, but works on speakers

Search This thread

deepudips

Dec 7, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Hi,

I've been using Nexus 4, and recently this issue started.

when I try to call, the other side can not hear my voice.
However, if I turn on the loudspeaker the mic works fine.

So, the probably the hardware is fine because the same mic works fine when used in loudspeaker mode.

I've not installed anything, not changed anything, its a brand new device.
I've tried starting in Safe mode, it doesn't help.

i was using the stock android from google all these days and issue started. I have now migrated to Cyanogenmod 11 and the issue still persits.

I have downloaded an app from play store called soundabout to try convince my phone that there was no headset plugged in. But of no use yet.

Any help on this please

DrFredPhD

Oct 30, 2010
Does your earpiece speaker work normally? If so I can only guess the nexus 4 uses top mic for loudspeaker calls. If your bottom mic has failed its easily fixed as it comes as part of the charging block.

It could just be something blocking the mic. Does your voice sound muffled or is it no audio at all?

deepudips

Dec 7, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Does your earpiece speaker work normally? If so I can only guess the nexus 4 uses top mic for loudspeaker calls. If your bottom mic has failed its easily fixed as it comes as part of the charging block.

It could just be something blocking the mic. Does your voice sound muffled or is it no audio at all?

Yes the earpiece speaker works fine. the bottom mic if u hold it close to ur mouth and talk works just ok...as in the other person cant hear 100% but its like u r talking from a far off place.

DrFredPhD

Oct 30, 2010
Yes the earpiece speaker works fine. the bottom mic if u hold it close to ur mouth and talk works just ok...as in the other person cant hear 100% but its like u r talking from a far off place.

Probably is just dust or something then, get a dental pick or something and try and clear the mic hole from the outside. If it still doesn't work you might have to disassemble the phone and remove the blockage.