The Google Experience Launcher is working fine so far with 4.4.2 on ATT

Search This thread

BewareAlbatross

Sep 11, 2010
So far running the Knoxraid 4.4.2 build I was able to install GEL and the Google Search update with no issues.
From this post: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2506829

Just thought I'd point that out. The only two things that have come up so far:

The wallpaper and switching over to the Google Now screen initially glitched. There were artifacts when I switched over to the Google Now panel and when I switched back there was a long line of Google Hangout icons down the left-hand side. When I switched wallpapers to a custom wallpaper both things went away.

I also noticed that with GEL the DPI is just ridiculous at the stock setting. REALLY big icons. Novelty size. So I ran Texdroider DPI and scaled DPI down repeatedly by between 40 and 80, and at about 420 I hit a sweet spot that brought things back to around the icon size of Touchwiz Launcher. I like things a lot smaller so I kept scaling down and found another sweet spot at 260 where the icons and text are small enough to not annoy me but are also readable. I'll post screenshots when I sort that out but I would say on GEL 260 brings the icons to about the scale you might be familiar with in Nova Launcher?

[EDIT]
I did in the end go for Nova Launcher but for a really unrelated reason. I like having a lot of items on my dock and I don't like having the application / widgets bar button dead center. I'm picky like that. :p But all in all it worked fine, the only thing I noticed that was somewhat annoying was the lower DPI meant that the recent applications from long-pressing home broke. I switched to Switchr and am insanely happy. Then I went and froze about a 80% of the stuff I never use, which probably will break my settings all to hell because I froze a bunch of the printer stuff, a bunch of the camera stuff, etc... But I'm willing to live with force-closes and crashes if it means getting rid of excess weight. :)

Besides, I use third--party apps for notetaking, camera, etc... So I actually doubt I'll see a lot of problems. The note 3 is a great phone but man it comes with a lot of stuff jammed into it.

Last edited:

blackroseMD1

Jul 12, 2010
San Diego, CA
www.standupforkids.org
So far running the Knoxraid 4.4.2 build I was able to install GEL and the Google Search update with no issues.
From this post: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2506829

Just thought I'd point that out. The only two things that have come up so far:

The wallpaper and switching over to the Google Now screen initially glitched. There were artifacts when I switched over to the Google Now panel and when I switched back there was a long line of Google Hangout icons down the left-hand side. When I switched wallpapers to a custom wallpaper both things went away.

I also noticed that with GEL the DPI is just ridiculous at the stock setting. REALLY big icons. Novelty size. So I ran Texdroider DPI and scaled DPI down repeatedly by between 40 and 80, and at about 420 I hit a sweet spot that brought things back to around the icon size of Touchwiz Launcher. I like things a lot smaller so I kept scaling down and found another sweet spot at 260 where the icons and text are small enough to not annoy me but are also readable. I'll post screenshots when I sort that out but I would say on GEL 260 brings the icons to about the scale you might be familiar with in Nova Launcher?

After dropping the DPI, did you have the disappearing icon/folder issue, where the furthest right icon or folder in the dock would disappear after a reboot? I've noticed it usually starts happening when the DPI drops low enough that there are 7 dock slots instead of the 5 at normal DPI.

BewareAlbatross

Sep 11, 2010
With the default launcher yep. With GEL I didn't see that happen. Hmm. Definitely had problems with Touchwiz.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Reactions: blackroseMD1

blackroseMD1

Jul 12, 2010
San Diego, CA
www.standupforkids.org
With the default launcher yep. With GEL I didn't see that happen. Hmm. Definitely had problems with Touchwiz.

Hmm...might have to give GEL another shot then. Thanks.

Edit: Nope...rightmost dock icon still disappears after a reboot at both 260 and 330 DPI. Wish Google would update Search and fix that already.

Last edited:

BewareAlbatross

Sep 11, 2010
I in the end still went with Nova but I definitely miss having the Google Now integration. That is such a slick feature IMHO.

Rippley05

May 11, 2010
Hmm...might have to give GEL another shot then. Thanks.

Edit: Nope...rightmost dock icon still disappears after a reboot at both 260 and 330 DPI. Wish Google would update Search and fix that already.

Same issued running GEL on my Nexus 7. Talk about a gimped update for that device. Google really dropped the ball with Kit Kat. Only giving certain features to certain devices.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Mike's Aria

Jul 22, 2010
Running GEL on X-Note 7 at 360 dpi. No longer having the icon drop issue since going with X-Note. Dropped all the time on stock att rom though at same dpi.

Switched to X-Note due to crazy gps problems.

jpcdeux

Mar 26, 2010
Laporte, IN
Or just use Kcin launcher that works just the same but is fully customizable

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

evolutioncsr

Apr 12, 2008
Arlington, TX
Red Magic 6S Pro
I just use it with Xposed GEL settings you can change the icons size both in the home screen and app drawer as well as the number of columns and rows for both including the hot seat.. I put the launcher apk inside the /system/priv-app to avoid any issues before installing the ROM.

When I installed it as an app I kept getting FC's but who knows...just IMO no problems since.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.