Can I get the 4.4.2 OTA update while on 4.4 rooted?

Search This thread

dray_jr

Jul 3, 2009
Fort Myers,FL
Can I safely use the OTA update to 4.4.2 when I used the SlapMyMoto method (http://www.reddit.com/r/MotoX/comments/1t5ei6/guide_root_verizon_nondeveloper_moto_x_44/) to root my Moto X (so my bootloader is still locked)? If not, how can I update to 4.4.2 with root, if possible?

why wont you people search and read before for you post this is the 3-4 thread about taking the OTA in the past 10 mins.
i mean come on the first thread title is [noobs] [ guide ] to accept an ota

and second please dont use that guide

use any of the guides on this site like mine
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2603358

or the creator of slapmymoto Jcase's guide in the Original Android development section

Reactions: flashallthetime

tomh12player

Dec 29, 2013
I opened this thread a while ago :crying:. I did read the first thread but it I saw on xda somewhere that it wasn't safe to root if you used SlapMyMoto, and the thread didn't confirm or deny that statement. Which is why I posted this thread. I do apologize if this seemed like an obvious question to you, but I'm not that experienced in rooting/flashing/whatnot yet. So could you give me a straight answer please?

tomh12player

Dec 29, 2013
I read through multiple threads and I'm still unsure I can take the ota if I'm rooted with locked boot loader on 4.4.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I won't be taking the risk. I read somewhere that you CAN update to 4.4.2 safely, but write permissions will be denied so you can't use things like Xposed. I'm just going to wait and watch the dust settle first.

D

Darth

There really ought to be discipline for blatantly posting without searching first. Sorry OP but wow....

The moto x forum is such a mess. Lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

erikiksaz

Mar 18, 2010
Los Angeles
There really ought to be discipline for blatantly posting without searching first. Sorry OP but wow....

The moto x forum is such a mess. Lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Well the forums are inundated with a bunch of posts regarding unlocked bootloader X's. I don't know why people are having issues, they just need to disable all things root, go back to stock, then take the OTA. The solution to these has been documented a million times.

Our problem has to do with a locked bootloader, and there's not much information besides "wait for it to be rooted."

I'm sitting patiently (but anxiously, hah), but it's a bit confusing for everyone because we're all just sitting on our hands hoping for 4.4.2 root.

densets

Aug 6, 2011
Buenos Aires
why wont you people search and read before for you post this is the 3-4 thread about taking the OTA in the past 10 mins.

or the creator of slapmymoto Jcase's guide in the Original Android development section

The noobs guide you are reffering to only talks about unlocked bootloaders...
I will not answer any question in regards to slapmymoto or pawnmymoto regards to accepting the ota
And your guide too only only shows how to do it for unlcoked bootloaders. Is it so hard to give a straight answer? He wants root on 4.4.2 without unlocking the bootloader..

flashallthetime

May 27, 2012
Stouffville

And your guide too only only shows how to do it for unlcoked bootloaders. Is it so hard to give a straight answer? He wants root on 4.4.2 without unlocking the bootloader..

OK changed my op, I have tried to make it simple as possible and it for any ota up to date, if you hacked rooted with slapmymoto or pawnmymoto do not accept the ota, as to date , there is no root hack for 4.4.2 and may never be. If your boot loader is unlockable and you used jcases root method, then unlock your boot loader. To sum it up 4.4.2 requires a unlocked boot loader to gain root access in this point in time

Sent on my Gummy running Lenoto X

Reactions: roweboat56

dray_jr

Jul 3, 2009
Fort Myers,FL

apparently you did not even read my guide because it tells you how to root both locked and unlocked bootloaders so next time read before you open you mouth and tell me i did not give him a straight answer

Cozume

Jan 30, 2014
Yes. For unlocked bootloaders.
And if you had read the guy's post you would see he wasn't clear on when the thread was referencing locked bootloaders or unlocked bootloaders

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=50252348&postcount=4

Sometimes people can search and read and still not get it. Because some times the people giving the answers aren't clear in their explanations for a variety of reasons or because they leave out critical facts/steps that seem so basic to them they don't feel the need to include them but yet to a noob, you are lost without those critical facts/steps. Hence the need for:

Moto X Q&A Forum

Reactions: uticant

SymbioticGenius

Aug 24, 2012
It's interesting to see how many people are so concerned with root, yet bought a device with a locked bootloader. Especially considering how readily available Motorola has made the developer editions...

MotoX Developer Edition went from German 4.4.2 to Great Britain 4.4.2 to T-Mobile 4.4.2 no problem. Fastboot FTW!

Cozume

Jan 30, 2014
It's interesting to see how many people are so concerned with root, yet bought a device with a locked bootloader. Especially considering how readily available Motorola has made the developer editions...!

First, in the US very few people buy off contract phones given the carrier subsidies are built into their wireless service contracts. And the Motorola Dev Eds (as is true of all Dev Eds) are only available off contract. So if you go with a Dev Ed, you are paying for a subsidy but not using it. Of course, you can buy an iPhone with your subsidized upgrade and sell it, but many people aren't willing to do this or don't know how to do this or are afraid of using craig's list/swappa/ebay to sell a phone. I know I was nervous the first time I did it.

Now things are beginning to change in that at least 3 of the major carriers are offering discounts on your bill if you will forego subsidized phone pricing, but for my carrier, to get a discount you have to enroll in their installment program and get the phone through them, and you can't get a Dev Ed through them. The discount does not equal the subsidy unless you are on a family plan using 10GB or more per month of data. But if you are, the discount exceeds the subsidy. So your best bet is to either stick with the subsidy built into your plan or go with Verizon's installment plan, but either way you can't get a Dev Ed.

Second, you can't customize the Dev Eds and while that may not be important to some people, a lot of people really like it. I bought a second Moto X just to get the wood back, lol! Not entirely true as I am going to use it for WiFi tether in my house as soon as I root it, but that wood back for only $25 extra sure was hard to resist.

So in the US with the subsidy and customization options, being readily available isn't the whole story.

Last edited:
Reactions: crkeith65

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Can I safely use the OTA update to 4.4.2 when I used the SlapMyMoto method (http://www.reddit.com/r/MotoX/comments/1t5ei6/guide_root_verizon_nondeveloper_moto_x_44/) to root my Moto X (so my bootloader is still locked)? If not, how can I update to 4.4.2 with root, if possible?

OK changed my op, I have tried to make it simple as possible and it for any ota up to date, if you hacked rooted with slapmymoto or pawnmymoto do not accept the ota, as to date , there is no root hack for 4.4.2 and may never be. If your boot loader is unlockable and you used jcases root method, then unlock your boot loader. To sum it up 4.4.2 requires a unlocked boot loader to gain root access in this point in time

Sent on my Gummy running Lenoto X
    Yes. For unlocked bootloaders.
    And if you had read the guy's post you would see he wasn't clear on when the thread was referencing locked bootloaders or unlocked bootloaders

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=50252348&postcount=4

Sometimes people can search and read and still not get it. Because some times the people giving the answers aren't clear in their explanations for a variety of reasons or because they leave out critical facts/steps that seem so basic to them they don't feel the need to include them but yet to a noob, you are lost without those critical facts/steps. Hence the need for:

Moto X Q&A Forum
    ...To sum it up 4.4.2 requires a unlocked boot loader to gain root access in this point in time
    that is the way you should have written it :p (so people can see it).
    It's interesting to see how many people are so concerned with root, yet bought a device with a locked bootloader. Especially considering how readily available Motorola has made the developer editions...!

First, in the US very few people buy off contract phones given the carrier subsidies are built into their wireless service contracts. And the Motorola Dev Eds (as is true of all Dev Eds) are only available off contract. So if you go with a Dev Ed, you are paying for a subsidy but not using it. Of course, you can buy an iPhone with your subsidized upgrade and sell it, but many people aren't willing to do this or don't know how to do this or are afraid of using craig's list/swappa/ebay to sell a phone. I know I was nervous the first time I did it.

Now things are beginning to change in that at least 3 of the major carriers are offering discounts on your bill if you will forego subsidized phone pricing, but for my carrier, to get a discount you have to enroll in their installment program and get the phone through them, and you can't get a Dev Ed through them. The discount does not equal the subsidy unless you are on a family plan using 10GB or more per month of data. But if you are, the discount exceeds the subsidy. So your best bet is to either stick with the subsidy built into your plan or go with Verizon's installment plan, but either way you can't get a Dev Ed.

Second, you can't customize the Dev Eds and while that may not be important to some people, a lot of people really like it. I bought a second Moto X just to get the wood back, lol! Not entirely true as I am going to use it for WiFi tether in my house as soon as I root it, but that wood back for only $25 extra sure was hard to resist.

So in the US with the subsidy and customization options, being readily available isn't the whole story.