[MODEM] Complete Modem List for both I747U & I747M

Search This thread

dstruct2k

Jan 31, 2008
Winnipeg
Google Pixel 4
NOTE: If anyone has any further questions about modems on the S3, please note that I have moved on to another device. Sorry!

Hello XDA!

I’ve taken over this thread, and I’m going to try to keep things a bit more organized.

First, you need to identify your model; This is fairly simple, you just need to either know what carrier it came from, or have the box it came in. If your phone came from AT&T, it’s an I747U. If your phone is from a Canadian carrier such as Telus, Rogers, Bell, Fido, Koodo, Sasktel, or MTS, you probably have an I747M. If you’re unsure, look on the bottom of the box it came in; Canadian models should all say SGH-I747M, while I believe AT&T models only say SGH-I747. Please let me know if yours says something different.

Things you’ll need:
- Root (Technically you don't.)
- Custom recovery (See my signature for help with this!)
- The ability to click “Search” when you need help
- A basic ability to read
- And most importantly, a GALAXY S3 I747!

All modems posted in this thread will be flashable ZIPs, usable in either ClockworkMod or TWRP.

How to flash:
1. Choose a firmware from below and download it to your device’s SD card or internal storage.
2. Reboot into your custom recovery.
3. Select the option to “Install” (same as installing a ROM) and locate the ZIP from step 1.
4. After flashing, clearing your cache and dalvik cache is strongly recommended.
5. Reboot and enjoy!

Modems are listed in the following format:
Version: Download Link - Build Date

AT&T and other non-M devices.
I747
I747UCLEM: modem_CWM_I747UCLEM.zip - 19.06 MB - May 22nd, 2012 (original shipped)
I747UCLG1: modem_CWM_I747UCLG1.zip - 19.06 MB - July 1st, 2012
I747UCLH1: modem_CWM_I747UCLH1.zip - 19.40 MB - August 1st, 2012
I747UCLH9: modem_CWM_I747UCLH9.zip - 18.90 MB - August 9th, 2012
I747UCLI5: modem_CWM_I747UCLI5.zip - 19.51 MB - September 5th, 2012
I747UCDLK3: modem_CWM_I747UCDLK3.zip - 18.42 MB - November 3rd, 2012
I747UCDMG2: modem_CWM_I747UCDMG2.zip - 19.01 MB - July 2nd, 2013
I747UCUEMJB: modem_CWM_I747UCUEMJB.zip - 19.15 MB - October 11, 2013

Telus, Rogers, Bell, Fido, Koodo, Sasktel, MTS, and other M devices.
I747M
I747MVLLE8: modem_CWM_I747MVLLE8.zip - 19.42 MB - May 8th, 2012 (original shipped)
I747MLALH1: modem_CWM_I747MLALH1.zip - 19.62 MB - August 1st, 2012
I747MVLLH1: modem_CWM_I747MVLLH1.zip - 19.46 MB - August 1st, 2012
I747MUMALJ1: modem_CWM_I747MUMALJ1.zip - 19.48 MB - October 1st, 2012
I747MUMBLK3: modem_CWM_I747MUMBLK3.zip - 18.97 MB - November 3rd, 2012
I747MVLDLK4: modem_CWM_I747MVLDLK4.zip - 18.92 MB - November 4th, 2012
I747MUMBLL1: modem_CWM_I747MUMBLL1.zip - 18.97 MB - December 1st, 2012
I747MVLDMF1: modem_CWM_I747MVLDMF1.zip - 18.99 MB - June 1st, 2013
I747MVLUEMK5: modem_CWM_I747MVLUEMK5.zip - 19.17 MB - November 5th, 2013
I747MVLUEND2: modem_CWM_I747MVLUEND2.zip - 18.79 MB - April 2nd, 2014
I747MUMUEND3: modem_CWM_I747MUMUEND3.zip - 18.80 MB - April 3rd, 2014

Check my Dropbox if d-h.st is giving you issues. :)

Call Display w/ Name not working after updating? Check this post. (Note: This doesn't affect names saved in your phone, only names that are obtained via your carrier's "Call Display Name" feature.)

F.A.Q.

Q: What is a modem, anyway?
A: The modem is the chip inside your phone that controls the connection to the cellular towers. This is a collection of different firmware versions for that chip.

Q: Firmware…?
A: Firmware is a type of software that directly controls how a piece of hardware operates. It’s a bit like a driver on your computer. (Yes, I’ve oversimplified this. Wikipedia can tell you more.)

Q: Which one do I use?
A: Make sure you’re using one for the correct model; Beyond that, it’s completely up to you. Results will vary from location-to-location, and even device-to-device. Try them yourself and see which one works best for you. (Note: Some people say that their reception gets better over time if they let the firmware “settle”. This doesn't make much sense, as the firmware doesn’t work like that, but feel free to try anyway.)

Q: I flashed the wrong model’s firmware, am I screwed?
A: Probably not. Just reflash the correct firmware and clear your dalvik cache, and you’ll probably be back in business. In worst-case situations, I’ve seen a phone require a full ROM reinstall including wiping /data, but that’s the price you pay for not reading the directions. :p

Q: Can I install this if I am not rooted?
A: Technically, root is not required for this, but how do you plan on getting the custom recovery on there without root?

Q: Will this give me LTE?
A: If you’re not getting LTE now, you probably won’t get any different results with a different firmware. Check your carrier’s network map to ensure you have LTE coverage in your area.

Q: My data/voice/SMS performance is much worse with X firmware…
A: Try another! Keep track of which ones you’ve tried and post back here with your results. It’s even more helpful if you give us your general location along with your results. :)

Q: My phone says “4G”, but my speeds are terrible… Will a different modem firmware fix this?
Short A: Maybe, but probably not.

Long A: Are you still on a carrier-built ROM? Carrier ROMs “lie” to you and label HSPA (which is a 3G technology) with a “4G” badge. This was a marketing ploy long before LTE ever existed. Now that everyone’s used to being on “4G” networks, they needed to come up with a way to differentiate LTE as something “new”, so they kept “4G” as the label for HSPA, and have added the “4G LTE” label for when you’re actually getting real 4G service. Most custom ROMs fix this, and properly tell you if you’re getting “3G”, “H”(for HSPA), “H+” (for HSDPA or HSPA-DC), or “4G” (for LTE). Flashing the modem firmware can't fix this specific problem.

XDA:DevDB Information
[MODEM] Complete Modem List for both I747U & I747M, Tool/Utility for the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S III

Contributors
dstruct2k

Version Information

Created 2014-12-25
Last Updated 2014-12-24

Last edited:

brushrop03

Nov 9, 2007
Gracias. But you may want to use something other than Dropbox. They will cut off downloads if traffic gets too high. it's only meant for sharing with a few people :(

baghera1979

Jan 7, 2011
Lansdale, PA (near philly)
Thanks for this. I must say, I tried out the lh1 modem. I live in Philly and for reasons I don't understand, it doesn't work so well for my area. When I did speed tests on it, all the servers that were able to connect to were all for the Midwest region of the USA. Lg1 seems to work best for me in the mid-Atlantic region. Just my observation so far and figured I'd pass it on in case someone was wondering.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

d3athsd00r

Feb 24, 2011
Thanks for this. I must say, I tried out the lh1 modem. I live in Philly and for reasons I don't understand, it doesn't work so well for my area. When I did speed tests on it, all the servers that were able to connect to were all for the Midwest region of the USA. Lg1 seems to work best for me in the mid-Atlantic region. Just my observation so far and figured I'd pass it on in case someone was wondering.

We will soon have a map to report these type of findings. FYI.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using xda premium

mbc663

Feb 12, 2009
Philadelphia

It's like you read my mind. I'm in Philly and was gonna try the new one out but am happy with lg1. Thanks for the post!

TonyStark R.I.P.

Retired Moderator - R.I.P.
May 20, 2008
Malibu Point
Nice work brother. I listed in Directory as you asked. You may want to blanket all the AT&T ROM threads and post a link, so people know they are here:good:

Thank you for putting this together.

Reactions: Urinophoria

aebilo630

Nov 11, 2010
Houston
Cant edit map details on your map for whatever reason. I can add locations though. If someone wants to add this to the map, feel free.

These tests are on the Stock UCALG1 Samsung Rom. Just flashed back from CM9, unfortunately too buggy to my liking still.

ZIP 77477
UCLEM
Down 17Mb
Up 3Mb

UCLG1
Down 16Mb
Up 2.2 Mb

UCLH1 - took sevral tries to get connection
Down 7Mb
Up 1.8Mb

terrymc

Oct 31, 2008
San Angelo , Tx
Forgive my ignorance but which is a better result from your post.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

Cant edit map details on your map for whatever reason. I can add locations though. If someone wants to add this to the map, feel free.

These tests are on the Stock UCALG1 Samsung Rom. Just flashed back from CM9, unfortunately too buggy to my liking still.

ZIP 77477
UCLEM
Down 17Mb
Up 3Mb

UCLG1
Down 16Mb
Up 2.2 Mb

UCLH1 - took sevral tries to get connection
Down 7Mb
Up 1.8Mb

Which is better

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NOTE: If anyone has any further questions about modems on the S3, please note that I have moved on to another device. Sorry!

Hello XDA!

I’ve taken over this thread, and I’m going to try to keep things a bit more organized.

First, you need to identify your model; This is fairly simple, you just need to either know what carrier it came from, or have the box it came in. If your phone came from AT&T, it’s an I747U. If your phone is from a Canadian carrier such as Telus, Rogers, Bell, Fido, Koodo, Sasktel, or MTS, you probably have an I747M. If you’re unsure, look on the bottom of the box it came in; Canadian models should all say SGH-I747M, while I believe AT&T models only say SGH-I747. Please let me know if yours says something different.

Things you’ll need:
    - Root (Technically you don't.)
    - Custom recovery (See my signature for help with this!)
    - The ability to click “Search” when you need help
    - A basic ability to read
    - And most importantly, a GALAXY S3 I747!

All modems posted in this thread will be flashable ZIPs, usable in either ClockworkMod or TWRP.

How to flash:
    1. Choose a firmware from below and download it to your device’s SD card or internal storage.
    2. Reboot into your custom recovery.
    3. Select the option to “Install” (same as installing a ROM) and locate the ZIP from step 1.
    4. After flashing, clearing your cache and dalvik cache is strongly recommended.
    5. Reboot and enjoy!

Modems are listed in the following format:
    Version: Download Link - Build Date

AT&T and other non-M devices.
    I747
    I747UCLEM: modem_CWM_I747UCLEM.zip - 19.06 MB - May 22nd, 2012 (original shipped)
    I747UCLG1: modem_CWM_I747UCLG1.zip - 19.06 MB - July 1st, 2012
    I747UCLH1: modem_CWM_I747UCLH1.zip - 19.40 MB - August 1st, 2012
    I747UCLH9: modem_CWM_I747UCLH9.zip - 18.90 MB - August 9th, 2012
    I747UCLI5: modem_CWM_I747UCLI5.zip - 19.51 MB - September 5th, 2012
    I747UCDLK3: modem_CWM_I747UCDLK3.zip - 18.42 MB - November 3rd, 2012
    I747UCDMG2: modem_CWM_I747UCDMG2.zip - 19.01 MB - July 2nd, 2013
    I747UCUEMJB: modem_CWM_I747UCUEMJB.zip - 19.15 MB - October 11, 2013

Telus, Rogers, Bell, Fido, Koodo, Sasktel, MTS, and other M devices.
    I747M
    I747MVLLE8: modem_CWM_I747MVLLE8.zip - 19.42 MB - May 8th, 2012 (original shipped)
    I747MLALH1: modem_CWM_I747MLALH1.zip - 19.62 MB - August 1st, 2012
    I747MVLLH1: modem_CWM_I747MVLLH1.zip - 19.46 MB - August 1st, 2012
    I747MUMALJ1: modem_CWM_I747MUMALJ1.zip - 19.48 MB - October 1st, 2012
    I747MUMBLK3: modem_CWM_I747MUMBLK3.zip - 18.97 MB - November 3rd, 2012
    I747MVLDLK4: modem_CWM_I747MVLDLK4.zip - 18.92 MB - November 4th, 2012
    I747MUMBLL1: modem_CWM_I747MUMBLL1.zip - 18.97 MB - December 1st, 2012
    I747MVLDMF1: modem_CWM_I747MVLDMF1.zip - 18.99 MB - June 1st, 2013
    I747MVLUEMK5: modem_CWM_I747MVLUEMK5.zip - 19.17 MB - November 5th, 2013
    I747MVLUEND2: modem_CWM_I747MVLUEND2.zip - 18.79 MB - April 2nd, 2014
    I747MUMUEND3: modem_CWM_I747MUMUEND3.zip - 18.80 MB - April 3rd, 2014

Check my Dropbox if d-h.st is giving you issues. :)

Call Display w/ Name not working after updating? Check this post. (Note: This doesn't affect names saved in your phone, only names that are obtained via your carrier's "Call Display Name" feature.)

F.A.Q.

Q: What is a modem, anyway?
    A: The modem is the chip inside your phone that controls the connection to the cellular towers. This is a collection of different firmware versions for that chip.

Q: Firmware…?
    A: Firmware is a type of software that directly controls how a piece of hardware operates. It’s a bit like a driver on your computer. (Yes, I’ve oversimplified this. Wikipedia can tell you more.)

Q: Which one do I use?
    A: Make sure you’re using one for the correct model; Beyond that, it’s completely up to you. Results will vary from location-to-location, and even device-to-device. Try them yourself and see which one works best for you. (Note: Some people say that their reception gets better over time if they let the firmware “settle”. This doesn't make much sense, as the firmware doesn’t work like that, but feel free to try anyway.)

Q: I flashed the wrong model’s firmware, am I screwed?
    A: Probably not. Just reflash the correct firmware and clear your dalvik cache, and you’ll probably be back in business. In worst-case situations, I’ve seen a phone require a full ROM reinstall including wiping /data, but that’s the price you pay for not reading the directions. :p

Q: Can I install this if I am not rooted?
    A: Technically, root is not required for this, but how do you plan on getting the custom recovery on there without root?

Q: Will this give me LTE?
    A: If you’re not getting LTE now, you probably won’t get any different results with a different firmware. Check your carrier’s network map to ensure you have LTE coverage in your area.

Q: My data/voice/SMS performance is much worse with X firmware…
    A: Try another! Keep track of which ones you’ve tried and post back here with your results. It’s even more helpful if you give us your general location along with your results. :)

Q: My phone says “4G”, but my speeds are terrible… Will a different modem firmware fix this?
    Short A: Maybe, but probably not.

Long A: Are you still on a carrier-built ROM? Carrier ROMs “lie” to you and label HSPA (which is a 3G technology) with a “4G” badge. This was a marketing ploy long before LTE ever existed. Now that everyone’s used to being on “4G” networks, they needed to come up with a way to differentiate LTE as something “new”, so they kept “4G” as the label for HSPA, and have added the “4G LTE” label for when you’re actually getting real 4G service. Most custom ROMs fix this, and properly tell you if you’re getting “3G”, “H”(for HSPA), “H+” (for HSDPA or HSPA-DC), or “4G” (for LTE). Flashing the modem firmware can't fix this specific problem.

XDA:DevDB Information
    [MODEM] Complete Modem List for both I747U & I747M, Tool/Utility for the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S III

Contributors
    dstruct2k

Version Information

Created 2014-12-25
    Last Updated 2014-12-24
    [MODEM] The complete modem list for I-747 & I747M

Original OP - moved onto another device
    Here's the latest Modem from the latest AT&T OTA Update

AT&T UCLH9 Modem
    Download HERE
    No one made one from the new ATT yet?

Here is one you can add to OP then....modem_CWM_I747UCDLK3.zip

This is solely for ATT i747 and is from the latest UCDLK3
    I747mvldlk4

I've pulled I747MVLDLK4 from the just-released Canadian Jelly Bean update. Here's a recovery-flashable .zip (18.92 MiB).

(Please back things up first, and please, PLEASE only try this if you're running an i747m, i.e. a Canadian handset! I'm not responsible for you borking your phone over this, so don't complain to me if this doesn't do what you expected.)