[GUIDE] Which Kernels are Safe/Unsafe to Wipe and Flash from

Search This thread

sdvsf

Aug 6, 2012
Medellin
great information, thanks for this i was a little scared cause of the brick bug, but with this guide i learned a lot! thanks!

terislg

Jul 1, 2012
Kernel to recommend

Hi guys,

I'm between KindDroid ICS NoteMania v8 and RocketRom v11 to choose for my GTN7000.

First of all which rom do you recommend and secondly which kernel?

Is it AbyssNoteKernel safe for my phone ?

Thanks a lot :)

Last edited:

amadeus7

Sep 24, 2012
Hi guys. I need some advice here. My situation as follow:

- Stock rom & kernel & still havent root - 2.3.6 GB. Newer GB rom thats which not direct rootable thru Zergrush exploit.

I want to flash this rom - [ODIN]AllianceROM N7000 ICS v2.1 | S3 lockscreen | Resurrection Edition

From my understanding is the step below correct? (sorry for being noob)

Flash pre-rooted GB > Flash Hydracore > Flash stock ICS 4.0.4 > Flash AllianceROM? Is this correct?

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. I cant seem to find someone with exact question as mine so I just had to ask for help. Thanks

Last edited:

ahalford

Sep 24, 2011
עץ החיים
Flash pre-rooted GB > Flash Hydracore > Flash stock ICS 4.0.4 > Flash AllianceROM? Is this correct?

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. I cant seem to find someone with exact question as mine so I just had to ask for help. Thanks

Drop steps 1 & 3. Flash Hydracore (.tar) through Odin, reboot recovery, perform wipe data/factory reset, flash your rom of choice.

terislg, here --- http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1789397 ----- look for the kernels, all, which stated as safe, are safe.

amadeus7

Sep 24, 2012
Drop steps 1 & 3. Flash Hydracore (.tar) through Odin, reboot recovery, perform wipe data/factory reset, flash your rom of choice.

terislg, here --- http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1789397 ----- look for the kernels, all, which stated as safe, are safe.

So I flash the kernel hydracore & successful, is it normal for it unable boot back to the stock firmware? I also have wipe the data.

But as I try to flash the AllianceRom in odin it say its FAILED...:confused:

ahalford

Sep 24, 2011
עץ החיים
So I flash the kernel hydracore & successful, is it normal for it unable boot back to the stock firmware? I also have wipe the data.

But as I try to flash the AllianceRom in odin it say its FAILED...:confused:

Are you sure about what you're doing? Do you have this AllianceRom in .tar version? Or is it .zip? If it's zip file, put it on external sdcard (use cardreader), boot to CWM recovery, choose "Install zip from sdcard", go ahead.

Reactions: amadeus7

amadeus7

Sep 24, 2012
Are you sure about what you're doing? Do you have this AllianceRom in .tar version? Or is it .zip? If it's zip file, put it on external sdcard (use cardreader), boot to CWM recovery, choose "Install zip from sdcard", go ahead.

Nevermind. Already complete the flash. Thanks for the help

Last edited:

rahmat87

Aug 31, 2011
hi noob question
i just succesfully installed philz kernel Dxlr5 which is root and have cwm.. am i safe to wipe and flash any room in xda?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

warewaolfff

Sep 14, 2012
anidroid kernel

i just flashed android kernal on paranoid android and it works really great
no lags
no battery drain
:)

Lokidroïd

Sep 26, 2012
hi guys,

/!\ Noob inside

i've read many thread, but i'm not sure on that point (i don't speak english very well) : can i flash any kernel (from the list of this topic) on my device ?
No matter which version i'm curently running or wich modem version etc?... If it does, could you help by telling me wich one is good?

i'm on the LRK baseband, version number is xxLRT and CSC is DBTLRT (that's what is printed when i dial *#1234#)

thanks

sdvsf

Aug 6, 2012
Medellin
Try hydracore standard or speedmod in there you'll find the instructions on how to flash it. Some people say hydracore is more for performance and speedmod more battery friendly personally i think both are really good.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Lokidroïd

Lokidroïd

Sep 26, 2012
gicyMe stipula

ok thx

Just to be sure, if i flash a ROM with another version than LRT (let's say LRK for the example) , i'll have to flash a LRK kernel too?

And ofr a LRT flash a LRT kernel? that's it ?

If not, i understood nothing... and i'll stay with my full stock version ><

Edit : one last thing, I can't post on this thread to ask my question but... is this rom can be use with kernel you was talking about and a LRK baseband?

Last edited:

sdvsf

Aug 6, 2012
Medellin
As love-rat® suggested use hydracore as its universal kernel from ics roms to jb roms, any question about hydracore you can go to the general section and find the discussion thread of this particular kernel.
Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Lokidroïd

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    "Hi. I'm on SpeedMod K3-13 and want to flash CM10. Do I flash AbyssNote 4.2, reboot recovery, wipe and then flash...?"
    "How do I flash this? I'm on stock ICS with CF-Root...?"
    "I am on ICS Stunner 4.25 and want to flash ParanoidAndroid. What do I have to do...?"

These sort of questions crop up tens of times daily in various GNote threads. This little guide is meant to give you an answer to those and similar questions, so you'll know what to do. It'll also hep you to not get ridiculed by all sorts of cranky characters (myself included) in the fora.

Safe Kernels to Wipe and Flash From

You can go directly into CWMR, do a full wipe and flash new TW- or CM-based Roms (it doesn't matter which ones) according to their instructions. No need to go back to GB, no need to flash some new kernel, no need to reboot recovery. Just boot into CWMR, wipe and flash like you would in the good old GB days - there's nothing to fear.

TW ICS Kernels

1. All NoteCore kernel versions

2. All PhilZ-cwm6 kernels

3. All Franco kernels starting from v4 and newer kernels

4. All SpeedMod kernels starting from v4 and newer

CM9/CM10 Kernels

These are all absolutely safe to wipe and flash from directly. You can flash new TW or CM Roms, it doesn't matter which one. Following Roms are running CM9/CM10 kernels ATM: official CM9/CM10 (obvioulsy), ParanoidAndroid, Asylum ICS and JB, LiquidSmooth, all AOKP Roms, Ganbarou.

HydraCore Universal Kernel

Universal kernel for all TW- and CM-based JB and ICS Rom(developed by g.lewarne of NoteCore fame). It has MMC_CAP_ERASE disabled both in the kernel and CWMR. You can flash any type of Rom directly from its CWMR (full wipe and flash).

GB Kernels

All perfectly safe to wipe/flash from directly. Side note: don't listen to guys who tell you that you need to flash an ICS Rom or kernel before going for JB. They are wrong: you can flash JB Roms directly from GB.

Borderline Case: Safe - Sort of?

CF--Root ICS Kernels - All of Them

These kernels are safe to wipe from, but not totally safe to flash from. This is what Entropy and Jgaviota say about them:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=29263870&postcount=490

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=29268600&postcount=492

Having this in mind, my advice would be for you to flash one of the safe kernels over CF--Root, reboot recovery, wipe everything and flash away. Although CF--Root has MMC_CAP_ERASE disabled in its recovery, apparently Roms you want to flash from it can brick your phone with bad update-binary.

Unsafe Kernels - Red Alert!

These are just biding their time and waiting for a chance to brick your Note.

1. All leaked ICS kernels - ZCLP1, ZCLP5, ZCLP6, Angelom's Stock ICS kernel and Neobuddy's modified ZCLP kernel (in old Stunner Roms)

2. All stock ICS kernels running in Roms rooted by the infamous CWM.zip method: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1810954

If your Rom happens to have any of the above, don't panic. Head over to the kernel thread, download any of the safe kernels for Mobile/PC Odin (they are tar files, not zips). Put the safe kernel tar on your PC, fire up PC Odin, hit PDA and select your kernel tar. Put the phone into download mode, connect it to your PC and flash the new kernel via PC Odin. After the flash is done, go into the CWMR, do the wipes and flash any new Rom you fancy.
    Where do I find the kernels?

Q. Where do I find and download all these kernels you're talking about here?

In Kernel Repository thread. Click here to get them.
    please refer this http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=30723213&postcount=483
    once in a while we do find ourselves on rooted stock kernel or Cf root kernel and wanting to use Mobile Odin....

As posted above, I would not advise flashing any new Roms from CF--Root kernel, be it from CWMR or via Mobile Odin.

Drop into CF--Root CWMR, flash a safe kernel (see the OP), reboot recovery and be on your merry way.
    Good stuff chasmodo:) Hope the sticky helps other users out.
    Latest speedmod kernel I see is K3-13.....which one is V4 which is safe to flash from?

Is it the same as in this thread?
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1673072

Thanks

I said v4 and above, which means v4, v5, v6 etc all the way to v13. All of them are safe.