KFHD System.img Recovery Tool

Search This thread

pyraxiate

Jun 24, 2007
Baltimore
Bricked

Hey there. My friends kindle is perma bricked due to using the wrong tool ( and wiping the boot partition im sure ). There is a device that shows up briefly in device manager ( OMAP4470 USB Device ) on boot but I have had no luck getting anything to recover it. Does this package possibly write a new boot / partition table?

Thanks!

Dimon aggie

Dec 4, 2009
Hi guys,

Sorry for off-topic, but my KFHD is stuck at "Kindle Fire" logo, I've tried to wipe cache and user files and it looked like, cache was wiped, but the process got stuck at wiping user files.
My question is - is there anyone from Columbus, OH or near-by who could take a look and tell me if my kindle could be saved? I'll buy you coffee or beer :)

Thanks!

Thepooch

Mar 31, 2012
Stuck at the logo is not a bad thing it`s totally fixable. Did you backup stock recovery, boot and system just simply fastboot flash those files back to the device and you are going again. Unfortunately I am in Washingtion state long ways from Ohio but you could mail it I would be willing to fix it for you free of charge. Keep the kindle on the wall charger to prevent battery death. If I could assist you to get linux going on a usb flash drive I could help you from abroad it`s just finding the time to do so. The problem is either improper install of the stack file or it`s not liking something about your boot, truthfully the less you do the easier it will be to fix.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dimon aggie

Dimon aggie

Dec 4, 2009
Well, here is my story:
I rooted my kindle, installed a custom launcher and was enjoying it for awhile. Last weekend, Amazon rolled out an update which screwed up.
I was trying to restore back to 8.1.4, now it is stuck at "Kindle Fire" logo
I cleared cache and userdata
but it is still stuck at "Kindle Fire"

Stuck at the logo is not a bad thing it`s totally fixable. Did you backup stock recovery, boot and system just simply fastboot flash those files back to the device and you are going again. Unfortunately I am in Washingtion state long ways from Ohio but you could mail it I would be willing to fix it for you free of charge. Keep the kindle on the wall charger to prevent battery death. If I could assist you to get linux going on a usb flash drive I could help you from abroad it`s just finding the time to do so. The problem is either improper install of the stack file or it`s not liking something about your boot, truthfully the less you do the easier it will be to fix.

onemeila

Jan 2, 2012
Winchester
Well, here is my story:
I rooted my kindle, installed a custom launcher and was enjoying it for awhile. Last weekend, Amazon rolled out an update which screwed up.
I was trying to restore back to 8.1.4, now it is stuck at "Kindle Fire" logo
I cleared cache and userdata
but it is still stuck at "Kindle Fire"

This tool has not been updated to the newer system versions, so the problem is the boot and recovery partitions from the new version are not compatible with the system img from this tool. What you'll have to do is follow the instructions I just posted in the OP on "how to downgrade" using the boot/recovery partitions. Or find a backup of the system img from the system version you were on when the problem occured.

Last edited:

DSH

Jul 25, 2007
hi there,
my kf hd8.9 is wiped and unfortunatly there is no rom on my device to install and no back up!
the biggest problem is that now PC doesnt recognize my kindle fire (but drivers is installed)
i mean when i want use adb push file it dosent work cause adb dosent show my device as "ADB Devices"
now i wanna ask that can your toolkit help me?:confused:
mit viele Gruesse
;)

onemeila

Jan 2, 2012
Winchester
hi there,
my kf hd8.9 is wiped and unfortunatly there is no rom on my device to install and no back up!
the biggest problem is that now PC doesnt recognize my kindle fire (but drivers is installed)
i mean when i want use adb push file it dosent work cause adb dosent show my device as "ADB Devices"
now i wanna ask that can your toolkit help me?:confused:
mit viele Gruesse
;)

Yes it can help you as I said in the previous post you'll have to use the downgrade method as I have not updated this tool in a very long time. But it will still work. You will have to install the driver for fastboot, same as driver for adb but the device shows up differently. It will be Jem-xx-xxxx or something like that check these instructions they may help:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=42837222#post42837222

Reactions: DSH

edumazieri

Feb 17, 2011
My KFHD 8.9 is stuck at the logo when booting (which by the way is white "kindle" and orange "fire" writing instead of the blue which people sometimes talk about).

I tried everything, even bought a "factory cable" at ebay, but it doesn't seem much different... anyway nothing makes it do anything other than sit on that logo screen.

Tried your tool, I use option enable fastboot but it just shows device not found or waiting for device.

Hope somebody can help me with that.

EDIT: it does show up when i turn it on and connect it, shows as JEM-xx-xx then it disappears very fast, says driver can't be installed...

Thanks

Last edited:

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
My KFHD 8.9 is stuck at the logo when booting (which by the way is white "kindle" and orange "fire" writing instead of the blue which people sometimes talk about).

I tried everything, even bought a "factory cable" at ebay, but it doesn't seem much different... anyway nothing makes it do anything other than sit on that logo screen.

Tried your tool, I use option enable fastboot but it just shows device not found or waiting for device.

Hope somebody can help me with that.

Thanks
The factory cable doesn't work for the 8.9.

Hold the power button until the device shuts completely off and unplug it.

Enter the command: fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product

When you see "waiting-for-device", plug the device into your computer with a standard USB cable. As the device boots, fastboot mode will be enabled if, and only if, your drivers are working properly.

qoncept

Feb 1, 2010
Alright, I'm in the right thread now. Apparently what I did was flash the KFHD7 boot and recovery images to my 8.9 tablet, and without backing anything up. Might have had a few beers before I did that.

So.. I've downloaded all the 8.1.4 files in the original post (system.img from the KFHD_SRT_v.21 and boot.img and recovery.img from the link at the end of the post), flashed them all with fastboot using my factory cable and they've all been written successfully except for the boot.img for some reason.

Code:
C:\Users\jared\Desktop\kindle\KFHD_SRT_v2.1>

C:\Users\jared\Desktop\kindle\KFHD_SRT_v2.1>fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery recovery.stock.img
< waiting for device >
sending 'recovery' (8192 KB)...
OKAY [  0.886s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [  1.515s]
finished. total time: 2.406s

C:\Users\jared\Desktop\kindle\KFHD_SRT_v2.1>fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader boot.stock.img
sending 'bootloader' (8192 KB)...
OKAY [  0.457s]
writing 'bootloader'...
FAILED (remote: image too large for partition)
finished. total time: 0.468s

C:\Users\jared\Desktop\kindle\KFHD_SRT_v2.1>fastboot -i 0x1949 flash system .\images\system.img
sending 'system' (907264 KB)...
OKAY [ 49.703s]
writing 'system'...
OKAY [ 61.935s]
finished. total time: 111.643s

C:\Users\jared\Desktop\kindle\KFHD_SRT_v2.1>fastboot -i 0x1949 erase cache
erasing 'cache'...
OKAY [ 48.047s]
finished. total time: 48.050s

C:\Users\jared\Desktop\kindle\KFHD_SRT_v2.1>fastboot -i 0x1949 erase userdata
erasing 'userdata'...
OKAY [ 91.597s]
finished. total time: 91.600s

C:\Users\jared\Desktop\kindle\KFHD_SRT_v2.1>fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot
rebooting...

finished. total time: 0.002s

I've fixed my red screen, but now I'm stuck at the Kindle boot logo forever. Can anyone tell me what my problem is now? Thanks!

Last edited:

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
OMFG

You cannot flash your bootloader partition with a boot.img. The boot.img is your kernel and belongs on the boot partition. The u-boot.bin is the bootloader. Accidentally flashing the wrong file to your bootloader partition will leave your device completely useless. Luckily for you, it failed in this case.

fastboot -i 0x1949 flash boot boot.stock.img

...is what you should have done :)

Reactions: qoncept

edumazieri

Feb 17, 2011
The factory cable doesn't work for the 8.9.

Hold the power button until the device shuts completely off and unplug it.

Enter the command: fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product

When you see "waiting-for-device", plug the device into your computer with a standard USB cable. As the device boots, fastboot mode will be enabled if, and only if, your drivers are working properly.
I tried that, it just doesn't recognize the device at all.

When I plug it in it shows very quickly jem-xxx-xx something, then it disappears... and not even the recovery tool nor the cmd fastboot command seems to recognize it.
Please instruct me on which driver should I install to make it work, aparently there are several ones, amazon ones, adb ones, fastboot ones which I don't even know what they are. Sorry for my dumbness in that, it has become a little confusing even though, and probably BECAUSE I read too many posts about it.

Thanks for the help

CAL7

Jun 1, 2010
I tried that, it just doesn't recognize the device at all.

When I plug it in it shows very quickly jem-xxx-xx something, then it disappears... and not even the recovery tool nor the cmd fastboot command seems to recognize it.
Please instruct me on which driver should I install to make it work, aparently there are several ones, amazon ones, adb ones, fastboot ones which I don't even know what they are. Sorry for my dumbness in that, it has become a little confusing even though, and probably BECAUSE I read too many posts about it.

Thanks for the help
Similar problem here. Months ago, I used FireFlash to root my KFHD89... Had TWRP 2.6.3 and CM10.1 running just fine. Decided to go to CM11, which required TWRP 2.6.3.1, so i used FireFlash to update TWRP, which gave all indications of being successful. But, when i rebooted into recovery, it stuck at the Orange logo.

With a standard USB cable, I can't get adb or fastboot to ever recognize the device. If I look quickly, I see the jem device in device manager, but it goes away within a second or two.

Help! (Please)

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
Similar problem here. Months ago, I used FireFlash to root my KFHD89... Had TWRP 2.6.3 and CM10.1 running just fine. Decided to go to CM11, which required TWRP 2.6.3.1, so i used FireFlash to update TWRP, which gave all indications of being successful. But, when i rebooted into recovery, it stuck at the Orange logo.

With a standard USB cable, I can't get adb or fastboot to ever recognize the device. If I look quickly, I see the jem device in device manager, but it goes away within a second or two.

Help! (Please)

Check where you first asked this question. I answered you.

Oface82

Aug 28, 2013
Can't believe I did this one

Pardon sir, but I have done something exceedingly stupid and it seems that if anyone can fix my mistakes it would be you. While wiping before flashing the new Pacman I lost my brain for a second and unwittingly wiped EVERYTHING, internal data and all. Now of course I cant boot past the Kindle Fire logo. I can get into fast boot but none of the recovery tools or tutorials seem to be able to fix this. I assume I pretty much have nothing left but the bootloader. How can I get the system and boot images back on the device? Any help would be greatly appreciated and if you can help me fix this I would have no problem making a contribution towards your new years bar tab haha, Yes, I do realize its Xmas and no, I'm not expecting a relay today but whenever you could would of course be great. I wish you a happy holiday and hope to hear from you!

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
Pardon sir, but I have done something exceedingly stupid and it seems that if anyone can fix my mistakes it would be you. While wiping before flashing the new Pacman I lost my brain for a second and unwittingly wiped EVERYTHING, internal data and all. Now of course I cant boot past the Kindle Fire logo. I can get into fast boot but none of the recovery tools or tutorials seem to be able to fix this. I assume I pretty much have nothing left but the bootloader. How can I get the system and boot images back on the device? Any help would be greatly appreciated and if you can help me fix this I would have no problem making a contribution towards your new years bar tab haha, Yes, I do realize its Xmas and no, I'm not expecting a relay today but whenever you could would of course be great. I wish you a happy holiday and hope to hear from you!

Did you wipe recovery too? In other words when you boot up, can you see a blue Kindle Fire splash screen? This determines which to try first.

Sent from Nexus 7 flo running SinLess ROM 4.4.2 with ElementalX kernel using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Oface82

Oface82

Aug 28, 2013
Did you wipe recovery too? In other words when you boot up, can you see a blue Kindle Fire splash screen? This determines which to try first.

Sent from Nexus 7 flo running SinLess ROM 4.4.2 with ElementalX kernel using xda app-developers app

I'm afraid its even a bit worse than that. Thats the point that i was at originally but then I was trying to use the tool to write the system image back and when it was done I ended up not being able to boot past the first orange kindle fire logo so I must have done something wrong and erased the dual bootloader. As you can see I'm on real roll today haha. Also, my computer no longer detects the kindle. Really appreciate the quick response!

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
I'm afraid its even a bit worse than that. Thats the point that i was at originally but then I was trying to use the tool to write the system image back and when it was done I ended up not being able to boot past the first orange kindle fire logo so I must have done something wrong and erased the dual bootloader. As you can see I'm on real roll today haha. Also, my computer no longer detects the kindle. Really appreciate the quick response!

That tool is a factory restore. This will restore to bone factory. You need a fastboot cord or a tip for your USB cord first now. http://shop.teamblackhat.info/Factory-Adapters-motadapt.htm this a must to restore.

Then read up a bit http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2347170
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2271909 here is the tutorial for a manual restore http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2128848 these are all for 7"

Edit: In case anyone comes by I want to relay that an 8.9 does not need a fastboot cord. A standard USB is all that's needed. If you're reading this jump a few posts ahead for further instructions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oface82

Oface82

Aug 28, 2013
That tool is a factory restore. This will restore to bone factory. You need a fastboot cord or a tip for your USB cord first now. http://shop.teamblackhat.info/Factory-Adapters-motadapt.htm this a must to restore.

Then read up a bit http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2347170
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2271909 here is the tutorial for a manual restore http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2128848 these are all for 7"

Ok so I finally procured a fastboot cable. What is the procedure for booting into fastboot now? I was under the impression it would just happen when I plugged in but it hasn't

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS IS NOT A CUSTOM RECOVERY!!!
    KINDLE FIRE HD 8.9 ONLY!!! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

This is an update to the KFHD_SRTool, now for use with the Kindle Fire HD 8.9
    This is ONLY for use with 8.9" models, not for use with 7" unless you replace system.img with your own backup.
    A factory cable is not needed to enable fastboot on this model. Even if the device is in a loop and ADB can not recognize it. I have personally put my device in a loop to confirm it works. To enable fastboot use option 1 from the tool

Instructions:
    1. Download and unzip the tool of your choice from the link below (I have confirmed you can downgrade from 8.1.4 to 8.1.3)
    2. Run SR Tool

That's it, wait for the tool to finish. Be patient this can take a few minutes. To exit fastboot use option 6 or hold down the power button for 10-20 seconds. When you reboot the first time it may seem to loop once but this is normal and will boot up. Once again be patient, especially if you chose to erase cache and userdata. The system needs to rebuild those partitions. Hope this helps some of you in the community. Again sorry for the size of the download, this is why I made this a separate tool instead of combining it with the HD7 version.

Downloads:
    KFHD_SRTv2.1- 8.1.4
    KFHD_SRTv2.0- 8.1.3
    KFHD_SRTv1.3- 8.1.2

UPDATES:
    12-24-12
    System v8.1.4
    12-12-12:
    System backup from v8.1.3 KFHD_SRTool_v2.0
    Option menu has changed
    New options: Install of GoogleServicesFramework.apk, enable fastboot with device powered on or off.
    Option 4 removed due to new option of enable fastboot

DOWNGRADE:
    I no longer own this device so I cannot make backups of newer system versions, for the time being here are instructions for downgrading to 8.1.4:
    1.) Download boot and recovery imgs(these are backups from 8.1.4) from this LINK and place in the folder where you have access to fastboot or inside the KFHD_SRTool_v2.1 folder
    2.) Use KFHD_SRTool_v2.1 to flash system.img.
    3.) Erase userdata and cache
    4.) Open a cmd prompt from the folder where you placed the previously downloaded .img's.
    Use these cmds:
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash boot boot.img
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery recovery.img
    5- Reboot.

Thanks to mdblaze for bringing to my attention that a factory cable is not needed with this device
    Again Thanks to kinfauns for the how to on backing up and restoring system software.
    Onemeilia:
    would you be able to post an unmodified system image for restore back to stock?
    Is it already there and I'm missing something?

There is no way to make a system.img backup without being rooted. If you use the option with su binary/superuser.apk only, it is as close to stock as you can get. To get to completely stock you would just need to move superuser.apk from system/app folder to data/app folder, then go to system/xbin folder and delete the su files. After this do a factory reset and you'll be back to stock.
    Thank you for adding the 8.9 to your tool onemeila. I appreciate the work you've done.

I can confirm this does work to fix an hd stuck on the kindle fire logo. Thanks again.
    I'm caught in the same issue, and like an idiot, I didn't back up my recovery, is there anyway I can get back to it? can someone else just back up their recovery and I could flash that?

Yes you should be able to flash the stock recovery and boot.img's from anyone. Heres a link for those from 8.1.4:
    https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B4lZEJI5lYeMckl3aGZlY05VTWs/edit?usp=sharing
    Is this one version 8.1.2 or 8.1.3?
    Need a rootable.

The backup was done right out of the box after root, so it would be as close to factory as possible. It should be 8.1.2, but 8.1.3 is rootable also. I lost root after the update and was still able to root.