[HOW-TO]Fix your phone

Search This thread

imnuts

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2007
West Chester
www.imnuts.org
Initially, this post was meant to fix people's phones after a bad restore from CWM, but now I'm changing it to be more general and pretty much be a guide for how to fix your phone from nearly any problem. The original reason for this post is this error:
Code:
-- bootmode=7 from cmdline...
-- Movi_check Start..!!
checksum confirmation need_checksum[0]
Not need checksum confirmation

--Movi_check already executed!!...

--movi_checking done!...
# MANUAL MODE #
It was caused by a problem with /data and this guide helped fix that. Now that several other things have come along (leaks, voodoo, etc.) people are having a host of random errors show up with their phones. This guide will hopefully get you back to a working phone regardless of what is wrong with it. Take note though, that following this guide will delete all data not on the sdcard. So, with that being said, here is how you can fix your phone.

1. Download one of the packages below as well as the PIT file.
2. Open up Odin, click PDA, and select the package you downloaded
3. Click on PIT and select the PIT file that you downloaded.
4. Get your phone into Download mode.
4a. Pull out the battery, hold down on Vol Down, and plug in the USB Cable while still holding the button.
4b. After you are in Download Mode, put the battery back into your phone. This increases the reliability of flashing with Odin
5. Make sure your phone is recognized in Odin
6. Check the box for Re-partition (Odin will fail if you check this and don't use the PIT file) and un-check the boxes for Auto-Reset and F. Reset Time.
7. Press "Start" and flash the package.
8. After it is finished flashing, take the battery out, unplug the USB cable, put the battery back in, and start up what should now be a working phone.

Download descriptions. There are 3 files linked to below. The first is the PIT file, and required for this. The PIT file is the partition information table. It tells your phone where different packages go on the phone, as well as how big partitions are on the phone. Without this information, Odin cannot properly re-partition your device. The next two files are more or less the same and you will only need one of the two, not both (unless you want them just for fun). There is ED1, which is what the phone initially shipped with, and ED2, the update that was released just after the phone was. The ED1 package may be a little bit smaller for those that are concerned about download size as it is compressed. However, you will need 7-zip or similar to extract it after downloading. Also note that this cannot be done with Heimdall as Heimdall does not have the ability to re-partition your phone, thus, you need a Windows computer to be able to follow this procedure.

All packages are available here.

Last edited:

will2live

Feb 25, 2009
Sweet, as always thanks for the work/effort on this stuff. At least now we don't have to be AS concerned atm if a restore was done in CWR and someone hoses there device.

imnuts

Jul 27, 2007
West Chester
www.imnuts.org
Updated this with what I believe to be the proper steps. I was in and out at work while papi was fixing his phone, and lost track of the exact files used, but some combination of the above Odin packages and the PIT should get you back to a working phone if you are having a problem.

Reactions: jkbucksot

trebores1

Jun 17, 2010
this work for anyone?

Unfortunately, I am trying to fix this very problem right now.

I was able to get rid of the error message with your method and I can now get into CWM again.. which is progress. I used the smaller file as it looks like the bigger one was corrupt for me (may just have been a bad dl on my end). I'm re downloading the full file now.

Anyway, I used odin. Selected the charge.pit and repartitioned. I allowed that to finish. I then restarted and flashed the smaller .md5 file. I then was able to reboot into CWM.. which is where I am now as the system just boot loops on the Samsung logo ATM.

Any words of wisdom to get me out of the boot loop would be great.. I'll check back later - hopefully with news that I fixed my phone.

hoppermi

Feb 7, 2011
Unfortunately, I am trying to fix this very problem right now.

I was able to get rid of the error message with your method and I can now get into CWM again.. which is progress. I used the smaller file as it looks like the bigger one was corrupt for me (may just have been a bad dl on my end). I'm re downloading the full file now.

Anyway, I used odin. Selected the charge.pit and repartitioned. I allowed that to finish. I then restarted and flashed the smaller .md5 file. I then was able to reboot into CWM.. which is where I am now as the system just boot loops on the Samsung logo ATM.

Any words of wisdom to get me out of the boot loop would be great.. I'll check back later - hopefully with news that I fixed my phone.

Can you flash anything in CWM? Or how about odin the Ed1 rooted package.?

trebores1

Jun 17, 2010
Can you flash anything in CWM? Or how about odin the Ed1 rooted package.?

I'm going to try that next.. it's downloading now (slowly). It may just be me, but I can't get the full ED1_CWM_Fix.tar.md5 to flash at all. I have now downloaded it from multishare direct and rapidshare and both fail the same way (Write operation failed).

hoppermi

Feb 7, 2011

papi92

Nov 15, 2009
Hey after you flash the smaller package given by imnuts07 I flashed stock ed1 rooted thru odin and it worked.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using XDA Premium App

trebores1

Jun 17, 2010
Hey after you flash the smaller package given by imnuts07 I flashed stock ed1 rooted thru odin and it worked.

Yeah, that worked. It got rid of the error and I can now boot into stock recovery.. but I'm stuck in a droid eyeball bootloop now. Not sure what else to do. I factory reset everything. I think it's time to just return to the VZW store.

papi92

Nov 15, 2009
Don't return it. You got that far it can be restored. Try flashing altered beast thru odin o

papi92

Nov 15, 2009
Also start up took about 10 minutes for me and make sure your phone still isn't on ext 4.

briaguya

Jun 7, 2011
Same here. Flashing altered beast fixed the problem and let me cwm flash debloatedv4. (4.1 seems really buggy)

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

trebores1

Jun 17, 2010
Also start up took about 10 minutes for me and make sure your phone still isn't on ext 4.

I think I turned off ext4. In cwm I disabled the voodoo lagfix and the voice said that it was disabled. How else would I tell if it's off?

I tried your other suggestions too. Flashed altered beast, ed1 rooted, no luck getting past the bootup loop.

When you restored via Odin using the almost-everything.tar.md5, were you able to reboot and use your phone? I can't get that far. If I reboot it just hangs on the samsung logo. After that, I can flash altered beast or ed1-rooted and I get to the droid bootloop.

Trust me, I don't want to return it.. I'm sure there's a fix here somewhere.

papi92

Nov 15, 2009
You need to wipe data. You have too. And yes I got stuck at Samsung logo after. I had to flash stock ed1 rooted then wipe data

imnuts

Jul 27, 2007
West Chester
www.imnuts.org
I think I turned off ext4. In cwm I disabled the voodoo lagfix and the voice said that it was disabled. How else would I tell if it's off?

I tried your other suggestions too. Flashed altered beast, ed1 rooted, no luck getting past the bootup loop.

When you restored via Odin using the almost-everything.tar.md5, were you able to reboot and use your phone? I can't get that far. If I reboot it just hangs on the samsung logo. After that, I can flash altered beast or ed1-rooted and I get to the droid bootloop.

Trust me, I don't want to return it.. I'm sure there's a fix here somewhere.

To find out if lagfix is disabled run mount from a root terminal app, or adb shell mount if you're hooked up to your computer. If anything shows up as ext4, lagfix is still enabled. If it is all rfs/vfat/not ext4 then you're ok.

trebores1

Jun 17, 2010
Progress has been made! I followed steps 1-8 on imnuts guide. On step 8, nothing happens(as it should). Rebooted into download mode, flashed almost-everything, rebooted, system hangs on samsung logo. Rebooted into download mode, flashed ed1-rooted. Rebooted, system boots into phone!

Now I get an error that my sim card is not supported or readable.. but at least I got back into the phone..

Reactions: Deth Becomes You

hoppermi

Feb 7, 2011
Progress has been made! I followed steps 1-8 on imnuts guide. On step 8, nothing happens(as it should). Rebooted into download mode, flashed almost-everything, rebooted, system hangs on samsung logo. Rebooted into download mode, flashed ed1-rooted. Rebooted, system boots into phone!

Now I get an error that my sim card is not supported or readable.. but at least I got back into the phone..

Did you activate another phone? I know someone w/ a TB who reactivated his Fascinate then wanted to switch back and his sim wouldn't work. Had to get a new one.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Initially, this post was meant to fix people's phones after a bad restore from CWM, but now I'm changing it to be more general and pretty much be a guide for how to fix your phone from nearly any problem. The original reason for this post is this error:
    Code:
    -- bootmode=7 from cmdline...
    -- Movi_check Start..!!
    checksum confirmation need_checksum[0]
    Not need checksum confirmation

--Movi_check already executed!!...

--movi_checking done!...
    # MANUAL MODE #
    It was caused by a problem with /data and this guide helped fix that. Now that several other things have come along (leaks, voodoo, etc.) people are having a host of random errors show up with their phones. This guide will hopefully get you back to a working phone regardless of what is wrong with it. Take note though, that following this guide will delete all data not on the sdcard. So, with that being said, here is how you can fix your phone.

1. Download one of the packages below as well as the PIT file.
    2. Open up Odin, click PDA, and select the package you downloaded
    3. Click on PIT and select the PIT file that you downloaded.
    4. Get your phone into Download mode.
    4a. Pull out the battery, hold down on Vol Down, and plug in the USB Cable while still holding the button.
    4b. After you are in Download Mode, put the battery back into your phone. This increases the reliability of flashing with Odin
    5. Make sure your phone is recognized in Odin
    6. Check the box for Re-partition (Odin will fail if you check this and don't use the PIT file) and un-check the boxes for Auto-Reset and F. Reset Time.
    7. Press "Start" and flash the package.
    8. After it is finished flashing, take the battery out, unplug the USB cable, put the battery back in, and start up what should now be a working phone.

Download descriptions. There are 3 files linked to below. The first is the PIT file, and required for this. The PIT file is the partition information table. It tells your phone where different packages go on the phone, as well as how big partitions are on the phone. Without this information, Odin cannot properly re-partition your device. The next two files are more or less the same and you will only need one of the two, not both (unless you want them just for fun). There is ED1, which is what the phone initially shipped with, and ED2, the update that was released just after the phone was. The ED1 package may be a little bit smaller for those that are concerned about download size as it is compressed. However, you will need 7-zip or similar to extract it after downloading. Also note that this cannot be done with Heimdall as Heimdall does not have the ability to re-partition your phone, thus, you need a Windows computer to be able to follow this procedure.

All packages are available here.
    For those of you sitting on a hard brick,(no bootloader, no nothing) I just heard from MobileTechVideos. They are making some progress...fingers crossed he can fix it

Yes I have spent hours trying to map points. It will be a challenge if at all possible. I found an island of 10 pads that are what I believe to be the JTAG points but I’m not totally sure either. Mapping the points is always an absolute challenge. I will be talking with the RIFF JTAG team tomorrow to see if they have any samples of this board. Once the points are mapped, I should be able to purchase a working Charge, read the full 512NAND then flash the bootloader zones to yours to revive it.

However this is all very very tough work as the Charge doesn’t have the standard JTAG map that many Cortex A8 Samsung models have that I had originally been hoping to see!

Needless to say it’s been a project. I’ve been here since 7-12PM researching with this board... ;)

Also, this is the type of work that’s required in working towards a world’s first when no documentation on JTAG exists for this model.
    Haven't been able to make it work using the newfs_msdos command. Either hangs indefinitely or errors out like in my previous post.

Anything else I should try before sending the old one back?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using XDA App

I am pretty much out of ideas. Nothing is going to work if you can't get changes written to the partitions. You probably will want to do one last flash with EE4+PIT and let it boot as far as it will. Wouldn't want CWM to come up if they turn it on.
    Updated this with what I believe to be the proper steps. I was in and out at work while papi was fixing his phone, and lost track of the exact files used, but some combination of the above Odin packages and the PIT should get you back to a working phone if you are having a problem.