[Q] GSM Shooteru S-OFF OK but something locked boot after HTCDEV unlock. Stuck!

Search This thread

digitaltoast

Feb 24, 2011
Having spend a couple of days getting KitKat to work, as Mrs Toast was getting "OK Google" envy, I thought I'd persuade her to let me open her Otterbox and root her HTC EVO 3D which was identical to mine.

So, using the things I'd learnt before and written up here (https://gist.github.com/digitaltoast/11364569) I ran the HTCDEV unlock tool. That worked fine.

For S-OFF I ran the JuopunutBear controlbear, which also worked.

At this point, hboot is now called JuopunutBear 1.53.7777

Downgraded hboot to 1.49.007 to run revolutionary to flash recovery.

So far, so good. All as per my previous experience.

But the mistake I made this time was to downgrade radio to 11.77.3504.00P_11.25.3504.06_M from 11.77.3504.00U_11.25.3504.06_M via http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407576138.
I hadn't done this last time, but I was getting oddness with calls - had to turn on speaker and off again to hear a caller.
As that was the only part of the CM11 instructions I hadn't followed, this time I did it.

But after this point, something had locked the bootloader again.

The display now says:

Code:
*** LOCKED ***
SHOOTER_U PVT SHIP S-OFF RL
HBOOT-1.49-0007
RADIO-11.25.3504.06_M
OpenDSP-v02.6.0.2226.00.0202
eMMC-boot
Jul 12 2011,15:29:51

Incidentally - CID getter says CID is: HTC_001

Nothing will install now. Here are a few things I've tried - remember, everything from the cable to the laptop is identical to my last successful mission.

Tried TWRP:

Code:
jonski@jonski-K53E:~/Desktop/EVOupdate$ sudo fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.1-shooteru.img
sending 'recovery' (6590 KB)...
OKAY [  1.317s]
writing 'recovery'...
FAILED (remote: not allowed)
finished. total time: 1.632s

I get "Model ID incorrect" when trying to install the TWRP PG86IMG.zip file from here http://techerrata.com/file/twrp2/shooteru/PG86IMG-twrphtcd-shooteru-2.0.0RC0.zip

Inside the zip file, the android_info file says:

Code:
modelid: PG8610000
cidnum: SPCS_001
mainver: 1.11.651.2
hbootpreupdate:12

(Hmmm, my CID is HTC_001 - is that related?).

I went back and tried running controlbear again, but it says "device s-off already".

I re-read http://unlimited.io/support.htm http://unlimited.io/jbtroubleshooting.htm

Code:
jonski@jonski-K53E:~/Desktop/EVOupdate/controlbear$ sudo fastboot flash boot boot_backup.img
sending 'boot' (16384 KB)...
OKAY [  2.634s]
writing 'boot'...
finished. total time: 2.949s

jonski@jonski-K53E:~/Desktop/EVOupdate/controlbear$ sudo ./ControlBear -f
========= ControlBear 0.11 beta for JuopunutBear S-OFF ==========

Restoring from fastboot....
Step 1
Step 2
Ok
Waiting device
Found device...Pushing backup
Restoring backup
Failed to restore

And various other commands:

Code:
Starting up......
Testing ADB connection
Test 1: Rebooting into bootloader
Waiting fastboot (6/60)
Waiting.....
Test 2: Booting device into JuopunutBear boot-mode
Waiting ADB.... (60/60)
Test 2: Booting FAILED
Reboot device manually
Reboot command failed!!
Bootloader unlock failed?

I tried TacoRoot: https://github.com/CunningLogic/TacoRoot

The README is unclear, but says: "For this exploit to work, you must have booted recovery at least once after your last factory reset" - trouble is, I don't HAVE recovery.

Later on in the README there are some links:

"These misc_versions below are for EMMC devices only!!!!!"

There is no explanation at all about what they are.

There's something about it here http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/1...w-temporary-root-exploit-for-all-htc-devices/ but when that page says to download "this file" - well, it's a broken link.

So, I can't use HTCDEV to unlock, I can't get anything to install via PG86IMG.zip, Juopunutbear says it's already s-off.

Code:
jonski@jonski-K53E:~/Desktop/EVOupdate/controlbear$ sudo ./ControlBear
========= ControlBear 0.11 beta for JuopunutBear S-OFF ==========

Device S-OFF already

Also tried http://www.mediafire.com/download/hsdai3cydckp7ld/htcsupertoolv3.rar and even ignoring the zergrush virus warnings, when I run it it opens a dead-link http://barbey.me/ site and although it claims to have rooted it, it doesn't.

The dark blue on black writing makes it near-impossible to read, and error messages vanish immediately.

The rest of the functions are just errors like:

Code:
Unable to chmod /data/local/gfree: No such file or directory
/system/bin/sh: ./data/local/gfree: not found
Press any key to continue . . .

Any ideas gratefully received! incidentally, the phone DOES boot up and load Android OK. I just can't seem to install any sort of recovery.

digitaltoast

Feb 24, 2011
30 2955898

I just worked out what you meant and found your post on hotukdeals site. As that's a site for deal seekers and this is a site for phone dev, hope you don't mind if I keep the chat here. Despite an entire quote of 274 lines to divert me to a different forum, I couldn't find anything else in the message here. But over at HUKD you wrote:

Because Revolutionary requires it be either 1.49.007 or .008

Not sure what you mean - I'm trying to install KitKat.

once s-off.... it does not matter !

So are you saying I can install a recovery with a locked bootloader?

dont use rev/cwm..... for recovery, use latest 4ext touch(Use 4ext updater app to update), most custom roms are rooted

As I said, nothing will install.

better to have it bootloader relocked, s-off over-rides most things.

OK, I was just following the Cyanogenmod instructions.

u and p(ww) firmware are the same... if you install p, it will switch to U in setting, if you are in the EU...
On the phone that is working, this has not happened - it is still P and has not changed itself to U.

so a ics radio/firmware on gb hboot ???

I'm trying to install KitKat.

what would I do ?? install ICS EU ruu

Last edited:

Pacattack

Feb 5, 2011
I just worked out what you meant and found your post on hotukdeals site. As that's a site for deal seekers and this is a site for phone dev, hope you don't mind if I keep the chat here. Despite an entire quote of 274 lines to divert me to a different forum, I couldn't find anything else in the message here. But over at HUKD you wrote:

Not all "deals" but a.... HTC Evo 3D Owners Thread :laugh:
If it was not, for HotDeals, would have never found this thread :p

Nope... wrong ! (not for what you use it for(recovery))

Not sure what you mean - I'm trying to install KitKat.

On a Ginger Bread Hboot :confused:
NEED to be on ICS

So are you saying I can install a recovery with a locked bootloader?
You are S-off

As I said, nothing will install.

OK, I was just following the Cyanogenmod instructions.

On the phone that is working, this has not happened - it is still P and has not changed itself to U.

No Backdating... No Backdating... HB 53.7777 was great !
Revolutionary, does work and install recovery with HB 53.7777, as its s-off :p
you are On a Ginger Bread bootloader :confused:
you NEED to be on ICS ......... HB 53.7777 :crying::crying::crying:

blinkevoKK.png

digitaltoast

Feb 24, 2011
Hi Pacattack! Thanks for the reply - OK....

Nope... wrong ! (not for what you use it for(recovery))

No Backdating... No Backdating... HB 53.7777 was great !
Revolutionary, does work and install recovery with HB 53.7777, as its s-off :p

But the Revolutionary requirements say:

Revolutionary currently supports the following Android phones and HBOOT versions:
HTC EVO 3D GSM (shooteru) 1.49.0007, 1.49.0008
....​

you are On a Ginger Bread bootloader :confused:
you NEED to be on ICS ......... HB 53.7777 :crying::crying::crying:

But... here are the exact install requirements from the official thread

Required HBOOT : 1.49.xxxx
S-OFF
Radio/baseband : 11.77.3504.00P_11.25.3504.06_M get it from HERE
4ext recovery

If you have spontaneous reboots, check that you have the required radio version in BOOTLOADER not in SETTINGS -> ABOUT PHONE​

So are you saying that both the official Revolutionary and Cyanogenmod requirements are actually incorrect and I should ignore them?

Pacattack

Feb 5, 2011
Hi Pacattack! Thanks for the reply - OK....

But the Revolutionary requirements say:

Revolutionary currently supports the following Android phones and HBOOT versions:
HTC EVO 3D GSM (shooteru) 1.49.0007, 1.49.0008
....​

But... here are the exact install requirements from the official thread

Required HBOOT : 1.49.xxxx
S-OFF
Radio/baseband : 11.77.3504.00P_11.25.3504.06_M get it from HERE
4ext recovery

If you have spontaneous reboots, check that you have the required radio version in BOOTLOADER not in SETTINGS -> ABOUT PHONE​

So are you saying that both the official Revolutionary and Cyanogenmod requirements are actually incorrect and I should ignore them?

It also say use 4ext recovery, but they dont say you MUST have the latest release.

Revolutionary requirements is for s-off, not for there recovery....

Official stock ics EU/GSM 11.77.3504.00P_11.25.3504.06_M or 11.77.3504.00U_11.25.3504.06_M firmware/Radio works on UK phones, get it from Cools or mwakious ICS roms, better still, is to install one of these roms, so you get a rooted rom installed, plus to install 4ext update app, to get the latest 4ext touch version installed.

Why 4ext.. it install the roms kernel, while installing the rom.

Screenshot LiquidSmooth KitKat on one of my Evo 3D
homeevoKK.png

Last edited:

EM|NEM

Dec 24, 2011
Tampere
did you try unlocking again from htcdev? with s-off locked/unlocked shouldn't be a problem but it never hurts to try :)

digitaltoast

Feb 24, 2011
Thanks for everyone's replies again...

It also say use 4ext recovery, but they dont say you MUST have the latest release.

But without the latest 4ext recovery, it gives the folowing error on KitKat ROMS:

HTML:
set_metadata_recursive: some changes failed

Revolutionary requirements is for s-off, not for there recovery....

But Revolutionary installs a recovery - without any recovery, how can I install a recovery when all zip files and other methods say

Code:

Official stock ics EU/GSM 11.77.3504.00P_11.25.3504.06_M or 11.77.3504.00U_11.25.3504.06_M firmware/Radio works on UK phones, get it from Cools or mwakious ICS roms, better still, is to install one of these roms, so you get a rooted rom installed, plus to install 4ext update app, to get the latest 4ext touch version installed.

Why 4ext.. it install the roms kernel, while installing the rom.

Cool! How do I get it on there?

did you try unlocking again from htcdev? with s-off locked/unlocked shouldn't be a problem but it never hurts to try :)

with s=off you dont need to go down that road again, just a simple adb/fastboot command will do that ...

HTCDEV trick still says "not allowed" now, even when I get a new unlock binary based on ident from the downgraded version.

Right now, I would be happy to reset everything back to how a stock HTC is with the ICS and 1.53 boot - but if PG86IMG files won't work and fastboot/adb mostly says "not allowed", how can I do this?

NOTE: At least I have S-OFF still! And also, the PC is definitely talking fine to the phone as I can perform most other ADB tasks, just not the ones that require pushing/installing stuff.

Pacattack

Feb 5, 2011
Thanks for everyone's replies again...

But without the latest 4ext recovery, it gives the folowing error on KitKat ROMS:

HTML:
set_metadata_recursive: some changes failed

But Revolutionary installs a recovery - without any recovery, how can I install a recovery when all zip files and other methods say

Code:

Cool! How do I get it on there?

HTCDEV trick still says "not allowed" now, even when I get a new unlock binary based on ident from the downgraded version.

Right now, I would be happy to reset everything back to how a stock HTC is with the ICS and 1.53 boot - but if PG86IMG files won't work and fastboot/adb mostly says "not allowed", how can I do this?

NOTE: At least I have S-OFF still! And also, the PC is definitely talking fine to the phone as I can perform most other ADB tasks, just not the ones that require pushing/installing stuff.

fastboot ?
Default eu ics rom/firmware/etc from htc
RUU_SHOOTER_U_ICS_35_S_HTC_Europe_3.28.401.1_Radio_11.77.3504.00U_11.25.3504.06_M_release_262714_signed.exe
from ...
http://www.androidruu.com/index.php?developer=Shooter
.... run on pc

cool.. rom/firmware/flash http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1671369

Last edited:

digitaltoast

Feb 24, 2011
fastboot ?
Default eu ics rom/firmware/etc from htc
RUU_SHOOTER_U_ICS_35_S_HTC_Europe_3.28.401.1_Radio_11.77.3504.00U_11.25.3504.06_M_release_262714_signed.exe
from ...

Great - thanks! OK, going to take 2 hours (slow broadband) - is there anything I should be reading while I wait? How does it install?
Are there instructions?

And once I am back to stock, default (bootloader?) how should I proceed differently to getting KitKat on here?

These were the instructions I had put together before from other guides: https://gist.github.com/digitaltoast/11364569

My mistake this time was flashing the radio - perhaps there are other different things I should be doing too?

Thanks again for your help.

Pacattack

Feb 5, 2011
Great - thanks! OK, going to take 2 hours (slow broadband) - is there anything I should be reading while I wait? How does it install?
Are there instructions?

And once I am back to stock, default (bootloader?) how should I proceed differently to getting KitKat on here?

These were the instructions I had put together before from other guides: https://gist.github.com/digitaltoast/11364569

My mistake this time was flashing the radio - perhaps there are other different things I should be doing too?

Thanks again for your help.

This is how I would do it :D

1.Just run the ruu.exe file on the windows pc
Follow instructions.
If the install works, you should have a default ICS with s-off.

2.installing 4ext recovery.
Download this image from here.. http://db.tt/1QYlMnp5
adb Command "......... fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"
Must be in fastboot mode ...
OR even better for flashing stuff, use android flasher from here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=794638, be careful........

Once you have 4ext recovery, install via recovery, a root or a rooted rom

download 4EXT Recovery Updater app from http://4ext.net/
install via sdcard or adb command "......... install 4EXTRecoveryUpdater.apk"

run app and tap on update, it will find you model etc ... select the latest .. install :)

Backup in recovery (just in case)

Click my thanks box if this helps :p

digitaltoast

Feb 24, 2011
This is how I would do it :D
1.Just run the ruu.exe file on the windows pc
Follow instructions.
If the install works, you should have a default ICS with s-off.

Thanks - just tried it, it says:

Screenshot 2014-05-11 08.37.41.png

Remember, I already have ICS with s-off, that's not the tricky bit. It's that something has relocked the bootloader, and I don't seem to

There's no point me running it if it's going to just install ICS over the top of my ICS, on the other hand, if it also unlocks my bootloader and allows me to install 4ext, then that's good, but I can't see any suggestion that it'll do this.

I'd like to know a bit more about what the RUU.exe app does if I leave it to run. Where can I find the docs for it?

Pacattack

Feb 5, 2011
Thanks - just tried it, it says:

Remember, I already have ICS with s-off, that's not the tricky bit. It's that something has relocked the bootloader, and I don't seem to

There's no point me running it if it's going to just install ICS over the top of my ICS, on the other hand, if it also unlocks my bootloader and allows me to install 4ext, then that's good, but I can't see any suggestion that it'll do this.

I'd like to know a bit more about what the RUU.exe app does if I leave it to run. Where can I find the docs for it?

ruu.exe is the full rom, including everything, this will wipe you phone clean, its made by HTC !!!!

Have you tried flashing 4ext recovery with android flasher yet ???

---------- Post added at 08:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 AM ----------

ps ... unlock adb/fastboot command is "fastboot oem unlock" with phone in fastboot mode

Last edited: