[APP][KitKat/Android L] GMD Full Screen Immersive Mode - NO root

Search This thread

StupidIdea

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2011
Immersive full screen mode for KitKat and Android L. Root NOT required.

Play Store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gmd.immersive

9OnjxCNiXle-6eAdwtTCvCov25eHaN0xGx_ZiSVWUHXQIzMpP2Ggpg8CSy3Yo4ORpIw=h310-rw
wAgIgZaC2JuND0FbtTO1m6xDf4ZtxvS3m46vFy9D5U9zQH453EN3SU5aIzdPvyCEq9wy=h310-rw
R6GYbw_0EJtI1NsfqWW5saJ8cM_hN67Oucp2U2uUKgyMptlsZquuNZB-83oB9he7Hd0=h310-rw
e-EV6OEsIUhJWteKMiy3evUnglyTJmoeObiQw0lLT1q2sG-qL6DVGKT-6_0DemLnpPQ=h310-rw
65RLj35qz0eV_fzn0nDVGl4LDkbUquCaI8a1w5Hvqtur-u15UE1dqkhwKMIYSe8w4w=h310-rw
WTo3hLHbsIqc-Z88uAiiJd7buBb2QD__kdWjAnobUAcJpBJIPmXbVzfgyDZRKp4On00=h310-rw

Features:
- Hide or show navigation bar with simple swipe
- Hide or keep status bar
- Stock navigation bar
- Notification widget allows to easily change mode anywhere
- Per application settings
- Autohide navigation bar

Known issues:
- Keyboard does not work while in full screen - please restore navigation bar to use keyboard. [Probably won't be fixed]
- 3rd party apps cannot trigger Back while navigation bar is hidden. [Probably won't be fixed]

Please let me know if you like the app and if you have any suggestions :highfive:

Attachments

• Immersive_1.0-beta2.apk
    1.3 MB · Views: 12,423
  • Immersive_1.1-beta.apk
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,745
  • Immersive_1.1.1-beta.apk
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,379
  • Immersive_1.1.2-beta.apk
    1.3 MB · Views: 3,630
  • Immersive_1.1.4.apk
    1.2 MB · Views: 12,353
  • Immersive_1.5.apk
    1.2 MB · Views: 39,246
Last edited:

Jimmy34742

Jul 1, 2011
成都
Some quick feedback:

1) I swipe the trigger to exit full screen, no problem. But the trigger doesn't let me enter full screen mode. It would be useful to have the trigger toggle between the last full screen mode and normal mode. I did program a Gesture Control gesture to toggle Immersive, so maybe that's a good enough workaround.

2) I'm able to use the keyboard if it was already open before I entered full screen mode. I can't dismiss the keyboard due to the back button limitation, but the keyboard does work. Also, DocsToGo's context menu has a "Toggle Keyboard" item, so I'm able to open and close and use the keyboard in that app. But I'm unable to change the cursor position in a document while in full screen mode.

3) Not being able to use the back button or execute a "back" gesture in Gesture Control when in immersive mode is really annoying. You also can't use the menu button. But I think enabling the "back" function is the #1 feature I'd like to have.

4) I can't open the notifications when in immersive mode. If I execute my Gesture Control gesture to open notifications, nothing happens, and when I exit immersive mode, the notifications are already opened. Force Immersive Mode has the same limitation, and the dev hasn't been able to solve it.

Last edited:

StupidIdea

Jun 24, 2011
Some quick feedback:

1) I swipe the trigger to exit full screen, no problem. But the trigger doesn't let me enter full screen mode. It would be useful to have the trigger toggle between the last full screen mode and normal mode. I did program a Gesture Control gesture to toggle Immersive, so maybe that's a good enough workaround.

2) I'm able to use the keyboard if it was already open before I entered full screen mode. I can't dismiss the keyboard due to the back button limitation, but the keyboard does work. Also, DocsToGo's context menu has a "Toggle Keyboard" item, so I'm able to open and close and use the keyboard in that app. But I'm unable to change the cursor position in a document while in full screen mode.

3) Not being able to use the back button or execute a "back" gesture in Gesture Control when in immersive mode is really annoying. You also can't use the menu button. But I think enabling the "back" function is the #1 feature I'd like to have.

4) I can't open the notifications when in immersive mode. If I execute my Gesture Control gesture to open notifications, nothing happens, and when I exit immersive mode, the notifications are already opened. Force Immersive Mode has the same limitation, and the dev hasn't been able to solve it.

You have to swipe trigger downwards. You cannot touch above trigger. You have to touch exactly on trigger (or some 1 mm above) red line. Just do light touch an swipe. You can increase trigger sensitivity in settings to you comfort level. It actually works quite well when you get used to where to touch. There is also TOUCH mode (instead of SWIPE) available in settings.
Trigger allows you to toggle last fullscreen mode on/off. Thats the idea.

2,3,4 - cant fix in app but I will look if I can find some workaround with root in Gesture Control.

Last edited:

Jimmy34742

Jul 1, 2011
成都
You have to swipe trigger downwards. You cannot touch above trigger. You have to touch exactly on trigger (or some 1 mm above) red line. Just do light touch an swipe. You can increase trigger sensitivity in settings to you comfort level. It actually works quite well when you get used to where to touch. There is also TOUCH mode (instead of SWIPE) available in settings.
Trigger allows you to toggle last fullscreen mode on/off. Thats the idea.
TOUCH mode works great toggling in either direction, even with sensitivity reduced to 3. It has nice feel, and you've done a great job providing just the right customizations for the trigger location and appearance.

For SWIPE mode, I swipe up to exit immersive, no problem. But when I swipe down to enter immersive, it never works no matter what setting I try. I think I do like TOUCH better, and now that TOUCH works, I don't need the GC gesture. But I'm just letting you know that SWIPE isn't working properly on my S4.

By the way, the home button also doesn't work in immersive mode. But I have "home" programmed to a GC gesture, and it works. So I'm hoping the "back" function can be made to work with a GC gesture.

Jimmy34742

Jul 1, 2011
成都
I've installed Pro, rebooted, and am testing with XPrivacy turned off.

1) As with the experimental version, you can't use the BACK button or a GC BACK gesture while immersed. We really need a workaround for the BACK function to make this app useful.

2) It FC's every time I tried to change Auto Hide Delay, Trigger Width, Trigger Position, or Trigger Sensitivity. These didn't have a problem in the first experimental version. Then, when I unchecked "Show in Fullscreen (PRO)," it allowed me to change those settings. I'm actually not sure what "Show in Fullscreen" does, so I rechecked it after adjusting the other settings.

3) If I switch to an un-immersed app, then when I leave that app I'm still not immersed and the trigger bar does not appear and I have to re-immerse via the notifications. Sometimes, though, this problem doesn't happen and it un-immerses/re-immerses correctly.

4) I'm able to use the keyboard while immersed by opening the keyboard before immersing. But then you have to un-immerse to dismiss the keyboard due to not having a BACK function.

Reactions: StupidIdea

StupidIdea

Jun 24, 2011
Thank you so much for trying it.

1) As with the experimental version, you can't use the BACK button or a GC BACK gesture while immersed. We really need a workaround for the BACK function to make this app useful.

I'm looking how to work around it next. I understand you are just testing it as you have exposed and you can use Force IM module ;). I also plan to add xp module into GC and AHSK to toggle full screen properly with root.

2) It FC's every time I tried to change Auto Hide Delay, Trigger Width, Trigger Position, or Trigger Sensitivity. These didn't have a problem in the first experimental version. Then, when I unchecked "Show in Fullscreen (PRO)," it allowed me to change those settings. I'm actually not sure what "Show in Fullscreen" does, so I rechecked it after adjusting the other settings.

That happens when you code at 4a.m :silly:. Fixed and uploaded new version. Should appear in a couple of hours.

3) If I switch to an un-immersed app, then when I leave that app I'm still not immersed and the trigger bar does not appear and I have to re-immerse via the notifications. Sometimes, though, this problem doesn't happen and it un-immerses/re-immerses correctly.

The idea was that apps that do not have saved setting do not change it automatically so if you left unimmersed app then this is not changed unless you have saved setting for the next app.
Unimermsed mode basically turns everything off and removes trigger so yes you have to use notification again. If you want to have trigger then you should show navigation bar with trigger instead. You can turn off Autohide but it is global. Do you think it is needed to have per app option to turn on/off autohide for app?

4) I'm able to use the keyboard while immersed by opening the keyboard before immersing. But then you have to un-immerse to dismiss the keyboard due to not having a BACK function.

You can call keyboard when navigation bar is visible (even if you triggered it with trigger). Once visible it will work even if navbar hides. Just swipe the trigger then click input box.

Reactions: Jimmy34742

Jimmy34742

Jul 1, 2011
成都
The idea was that apps that do not have saved setting do not change it automatically so if you left unimmersed app then this is not changed unless you have saved setting for the next app.
Unimermsed mode basically turns everything off and removes trigger so yes you have to use notification again. If you want to have trigger then you should show navigation bar with trigger instead. You can turn off Autohide but it is global. Do you think it is needed to have per app option to turn on/off autohide for app?
I'm actually not sure what you mean by, " If you want to have trigger then you should show navigation bar with trigger instead." I made a setting for each app individually instead of just leaving them blank, and that gives the behavior I expect. But per app is a pro feature, so not everyone will be able to do this.

StupidIdea

Jun 24, 2011
I'm actually not sure what you mean by, " If you want to have trigger then you should show navigation bar with trigger instead." I made a setting for each app individually instead of just leaving them blank, and that gives the behavior I expect. But per app is a pro feature, so not everyone will be able to do this.

Would it make sense if I restore previous mode when leaving application that had saved setting?

So it would work like this:
1. App A does not have saved setting but you switch to immersive manually
2. Open app B. I has save regular mode, so immersive is turned off.
3. Leave app B, last immersive mode is restored.

However if you change mode manually while in B then this mode will stick and won't change when leaving B?

Not working for my Samsung Galaxy s5 G900F running Android 4.4.2 Kitkat(Samsung stock)?

Thanks, I can reproduce it on Note 3 too. I will see what I can do. So far it works on devices that have navigation bar and status bar. I event tested it on Note 10.1 (2012) and it works.

Last edited:
Reactions: erniechan

Jimmy34742

Jul 1, 2011
成都
Would it make sense if I restore previous mode when leaving application that had saved setting?
Actually, I don't think it matters to me. By making a setting for every single app, I take full and unambiguous control. Then the per app page shows me at a glance how I've set everything. I actually prefer that to leaving apps unset and relying on some default behavior. The non-pro users will certainly care about how you set the default behavior, but the pro users don't have to care if they don't want to.

StupidIdea

Jun 24, 2011
Renamed to GMD Full Screen Immersive Mode

Last edited:

StupidIdea

Jun 24, 2011
Published version 1.1:
- Automatically closes notification panel after selecting mode from notification widget.
- Restoring last used default immersive mode after leaving application with saved immersive mode.

Reactions: Jimmy34742

vPro97

Oct 22, 2013
Denmark
Samsung Galaxy S6
Huawei Mate 20 Pro
Congrats on getting featured on XDA.
You're one great guy. I remember writing to you a few months back with regards to some slowdown when I was using GMD Gesture Control and you replied fast and with many details :)

There's a issue I'd like to report. When you're in immersive mode, you can't really tap on any system lines.
For example, if you go into immersive mode while being in the GMD Full Screen Immersive Mode app, you can't go into general, trigger etc - why is that?

Top Liked Posts