Kyocera Zio M6000 - on Cricket, Android 1.6

Search This thread

kf4omc

Nov 18, 2010
Largo, Florida
I had a place that wanted to charge me $90 to flash my Zio to Metro. and was told that it might not have all the features. I told them to bite me,

Fate43

Sep 19, 2010
Kannapolis
www.facebook.com
Chalo Valencia Jr.

heres what i got to day at zclusive face book page

ZIO OS 2.2 UPDATE.....
...Kyocera rep stoped by our corp store today and I was able to speak with him.
Here's the info i gathered.
1. Zio OS 2.2 will be launched nationwide week Feb 22nd - Feb 28th.
2. OS 2.2 has been completed and testing is complete since Jan 16th.
...3. Tethering is disabled.
4. Adobe Flash will be supported
5. WiFi recommended for downloading update, file is 133 MB.
6. Performance Improvements
−The new 2.2 OS has improved management of device memory, providing the user with faster transition through the device user interface and faster interaction with applications.
7. 5 Home Screens
−More home screens to further customize device short cuts and quick access to key apps.
8. Live Wallpaper Support
−Allows the user to customize their home screen with animated wallpapers (
9. Camera & Camcorder Feature Buttons
−Added to the short cut screen to allow for quicker access. These are two frequently used feat...ures consumers wanted quick access to -upload images and content to social networking sights even faster now!
10. Gallery Zoom Gesture Support
−Peek into stacks of pictures and zoom in and out with greater ease.
11. Multiple keyboard languages
−Allows the user to switch between different languages by swiping across the space bar. This will then change the keys, as well as the auto-update dictionary.
12. MS Exchange supported (email, calendar, and contacts)
−Provides the user total access to their daily calendar, all saved contacts and the ability to multitask via e-mail; this is the true Smartphone experience! (Kyocera will provide set up and instructions in updated User Guide)
13. Application Auto Update
14. As new apps are downloaded, the user can choose auto update or manual update –the user controls how updates to their device are handled.

DO NOT unplug the device from the computer while the update is in progress (device screen will go black once upgrade is in progress). This will break the device.
•The tethered upgrade process will take about 10 minutes (progress will be sho...w via status bar in-tool). Thereafter it will power-cycle and wake-up.This may take several minutes as the new system boots on the handset, please be patient.
–You can confirm the SW version as follows: Menu > Settings > About Phone, scroll down to confirm Android Version = 2.2.1and Build Number = V1.900CR.9C.

ZioAndroid 2.2 Upgrade: Wi-Fi download process, before you start….
•The device should be fully charged when starting the download.
•It is recommended that the user set their screen timeout setting to „never time out.‟
•The file can only be dow...nloaded over Wi-Fi. The user must set up the Wi-Fi connection and remain connected to Wi-Fi for the entire length of the download.
–Do NOT attempt the download over Mi-Fi(it will take forever).
•The speed of the upgrade is largely dependent on your Wi-Fi connection and data speeds. On high-speed Wi-Fi connection with good signal quality, the upgrade could take as little as 30 minutes to complete.Under less desirable circumstances, the upgrade could take upwards of 2 hours.

The upgrade consists of 3 separate software packages, your device will power-cycle after each one is downloaded and installed. Only after the third power cycle and restart package will the icons on the home screen be updated.
•The download ...happens in the background and there are only a few times during the upgrade that the device will not be usable (this is noted in the upgrade instructions). However, it is recommended, for the most efficient upgrade experience, that you refrain from using your device to make / accept calls, sendmessages, or for web access while the upgrade is in process.
•If the download is interrupted (Wi-Fi is lost) the user can manually restart the download / installation, otherwise the device will automatically retry in 2 weeks.

Source: Zclusive on facebook - this is a very reliable source and all the info seems to be in order, plus this is an awful lot of work for someone to put into something if it werent real

here is the link to the thread - http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/permalink.php?story_fbid=195543437141983&id=100001138331313

Spz0

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 23, 2010
Finally everyone can stop crying.

Sent from my Zio using XDA App

Dec 23, 2010
question???

very helpful info FATE43 thank you!!!, i have a question if my phone is already rooted will i need to un-root it prior to the wifi update to 2.2? then re-root it after update is complete. ive read so many posts trying to figure this out and i believe that one post stated they were left with a useless superuser installed on their phone they couldnt remove because they didnt un-root it prior to an upgrade.

from Fate43s link Chalo Valencia Jr. If its rooted, I would recommend to unroot it. I personally have mine rooted and will unroot as soon as the update becomes available. Not sure if it will affect the update in any way, but just in case. =)

i guess i will unroot mine too just in case!!! : )

apps to sd will be included!!! Zclusive That is also included my friend. That function is considered "standard" in 2.2. So min 8 gig card to move all your apps to the sd card.

Last edited:

MagickalShadow

Sep 24, 2010
Houston
www.magickalshadow.com
Finally everyone can stop crying.

Wow, you have some lofty expectations. If I was Nostradamus, I would predict that people will cry about the upgrade being too complicated, taking too long, having to re-root, and an assorted number of other "problems" they will most likely make for themselves, yet blame Cricket and Kyocera for anyway.

Spz0

Sep 23, 2010
Im a lofty kinda guy I suppose. lol :p Or maybe I just like to cling onto my false hope that society in general isnt going down the dumps. o.0

But ya know who has 2 thumbs and doesnt give a sh** about an update either way?
thumbs-up-2.gif
This guy, right here.
Why? My phone runs great -- has run great since I got the thing.
I think on the whole people expect way too much out of this phone. Its a great phone for its system stats, and price range, but I'd imagine the people who experience problem after problem with this phone are bogging it down with crap.
Your phone is like a computer -- the more you install, uninstall, add files, remove files, shuffle data, etc... the more fragmented your system and system data gets -- not to mention the well known fact that people just hate to shut down or restart their smart phones once a day.
All of this, combined with not factory resetting your phone every couple months will most definitely result in corrupted system data, freezing, and all sorts of other little issues related to the operation of your phone.
I have ZERO issues with the general operation of my phone with 1.6, including all of the factory apps (youtube, maps, navi, etc...), but I also reset my phone every month, reboot at least once a day and am generally choosy about the apps that I do install, as well as keep an eye on and manage the memory-sucking apps that run in the background. All the Glits and glam like multi-touch, apps2sd, live wallpapers, can-opener feature, bread slicer, toaster --meh-- doesnt get my goat one way or another. Im really pleased with this phone the way it is. The update will only streamline, and make the things I love about this phone even better, but I could easily live without the update too.

I am expecting there to be some compatibility issues with 1.6-specific apps when we do eventually upgrade, therefore Im going to dump my stock system.img back to my phone before I upgrade -- start nice and clean.

s23bog

Mar 18, 2010
Louisville, KY
Kudos for the attitude.

I am looking forward mainly to the performance improvements, and bug fixes (bluetooth fails to start oftentimes). Apps to SD will be very nice too.

On your critique of other users source of problems, I would like to point out that fragmentation is likely not a problem. Native Linux file systems rarely have problems with fragmentation. The only exception that I am aware of, is if the file systems fills up. But even then, it isn't anything like vfat or ntfs.

Sorry_8D

Feb 3, 2011
Wow! That's exciting! I'm like some of the other guys in the sense that i have never had one problem with this phone. The update is just icing on the technological cake. Imo.

Sent from my Zio from your Mom's house!

MagickalShadow

Sep 24, 2010
Houston
www.magickalshadow.com
Im a lofty kinda guy I suppose. lol :p Or maybe I just like to cling onto my false hope that society in general isnt going down the dumps. o.0

But ya know who has 2 thumbs and doesnt give a sh** about an update either way?
thumbs-up-2.gif
This guy, right here.
Why? My phone runs great -- has run great since I got the thing.
I think on the whole people expect way too much out of this phone. Its a great phone for its system stats, and price range, but I'd imagine the people who experience problem after problem with this phone are bogging it down with crap.
Your phone is like a computer -- the more you install, uninstall, add files, remove files, shuffle data, etc... the more fragmented your system and system data gets -- not to mention the well known fact that people just hate to shut down or restart their smart phones once a day.
All of this, combined with not factory resetting your phone every couple months will most definitely result in corrupted system data, freezing, and all sorts of other little issues related to the operation of your phone.
I have ZERO issues with the general operation of my phone with 1.6, including all of the factory apps (youtube, maps, navi, etc...), but I also reset my phone every month, reboot at least once a day and am generally choosy about the apps that I do install, as well as keep an eye on and manage the memory-sucking apps that run in the background. All the Glits and glam like multi-touch, apps2sd, live wallpapers, can-opener feature, bread slicer, toaster --meh-- doesnt get my goat one way or another. Im really pleased with this phone the way it is. The update will only streamline, and make the things I love about this phone even better, but I could easily live without the update too.

I am expecting there to be some compatibility issues with 1.6-specific apps when we do eventually upgrade, therefore Im going to dump my stock system.img back to my phone before I upgrade -- start nice and clean.

The main thing I want is Apps to SD and maybe a little better performance running video (I use it to entertain myself when I have long waits when I take my GF to the doctors). Aside from that, I don't really have a serious need for the upgrade.

Spz0

Sep 23, 2010
Kudos for the attitude.

I am looking forward mainly to the performance improvements, and bug fixes (bluetooth fails to start oftentimes). Apps to SD will be very nice too.

On your critique of other users source of problems, I would like to point out that fragmentation is likely not a problem. Native Linux file systems rarely have problems with fragmentation. The only exception that I am aware of, is if the file systems fills up. But even then, it isn't anything like vfat or ntfs.

Oh no attitude, just honesty.
And the filesystem on these phones fill up very easily as you well know.
My main point was that some users just don't take care of their phones in a reasonable manner. It's just the same as not taking care of your PC by means of scheduled maintenance, registry defragmenting, backup, reformatting, etc. I'd say roughly 90% of the systems I fix on a monthly basis are the result of people not maintaining their PC's. So you can see how smartphones would be worse from a maintenance standpoint, since most people view them as phones rather than computers.

blackops1125

Feb 12, 2011
Unlimited data, unlimited call to any Mobile carrier, unlimited text... I am sure there are things i am not thinking of, Plus the free phone.... all of that with sprint is $60 a month.

chrisngrod

Jul 29, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Unlimited data, unlimited call to any Mobile carrier, unlimited text... I am sure there are things i am not thinking of, Plus the free phone.... all of that with sprint is $60 a month.

The cheapest plan for most people is 69.99 for this phone. They are throwing on 10 dollars premium data for all smartphones now I believe.

That's 450 anytime minutes and unlimited text, unlimited mobile to mobile, unlimited weekends, 5gb data which they like to call unlimited, unlimited nights starting at who cares....

Cricket throttles you back if you exceed their fair use policy, but they do not cut you off completely. They also won't charge you one arm + one leg for going over.

Spz0

Sep 23, 2010

Not according to Sprint..
They list the phone for $49, and $99 per month for the lowest unlimited plan (Simple Everything)..
Thats $2425 for 24 a Month Contract (incl. the phone cost).

Cricket is $1320 for 24 Months -- No Contract

Big Difference..

Last edited:

s23bog

Mar 18, 2010
Louisville, KY
Oh no attitude, just honesty.
And the filesystem on these phones fill up very easily as you well know.
My main point was that some users just don't take care of their phones in a reasonable manner. It's just the same as not taking care of your PC by means of scheduled maintenance, registry defragmenting, backup, reformatting, etc. I'd say roughly 90% of the systems I fix on a monthly basis are the result of people not maintaining their PC's. So you can see how smartphones would be worse from a maintenance standpoint, since most people view them as phones rather than computers.

Check into fragmentation and ext2/ext3. It really isn't a problem. Had filesystems fill up on me completely (0 bits free), and never had any problems with fragmentation (that little bit about potential problems was only hearsay). Windows filesystems are absolutely horrible. So, yes, on typical PC's running Windows, fragmentation is a BIG problem.

On a side note:

Deleted the partition on my SD card and created a linux partition, then formatted as ext3. Gallery comes up MUCH faster. Still doing testing, but I have no idea why I didn't get around to this sooner (especially as much as I despise vfat). I guess just too busy with other things. Last few days, the gallery really pissed me off while on job sites. That, and the camera "preparing SD card".

Last edited:

cricketkilla

Feb 11, 2011
SUCKAS

U guys just got slapped with a footlong sausage and now you are trying to grab it and be friends with it! Upgrade....update w/e You people believe everything from the people that have lied about it all.. Hey have you looked at the specs on the new ATRIX ..wows now there is a phone

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was looking around for a thread for this phone, but found nothing. I hope people start working on it, I'd like to mod it.
    Is there anything I can do to help, like dumping the rom? Do any of the current tools even work on it?
    I read somewhere Kyocera was going to put out an upgrade to 2.1, bit I can't find anything besides a mention of that.

EDIT: FEB 22, 2011
    NEW 2.2 THREAD
    YES! It is actually out! For real!

EDIT: Jan 27, 2011
    It was released (somewhere around page 76) that Android 2.2 would be released Late Feb to early March.

START NEW THREADS!
    If you have questions other than modding, it would help to put it in a new thread with the prefix subject "Kyocera Zio M6000 - "
    I figure if lots of threads pop up like that it would be more likely that they'd notice it and actually create it's own forum. If everything is just tagged onto this thread, then it will just get huge and unnavigable, and the mods won't notice enough activity.

Update:
    hotaru was awesome enough to post a full dump of the Zio for us:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=8907621&postcount=287

If you look around this thread you'll find info about rooting the phone. Also in this thread a port Clockwork Recovery was released. There are some issues with it that were not resolvable. Such as if you boot to Clockwork and don't actually reset the phone, it will lose the Cricket settings and revert to Verizon. So it will work to recover a ROM and backup, but you need to also need to reset or restore when you go there.
    Chalo Valencia Jr.

heres what i got to day at zclusive face book page

ZIO OS 2.2 UPDATE.....
    ...Kyocera rep stoped by our corp store today and I was able to speak with him.
    Here's the info i gathered.
    1. Zio OS 2.2 will be launched nationwide week Feb 22nd - Feb 28th.
    2. OS 2.2 has been completed and testing is complete since Jan 16th.
    ...3. Tethering is disabled.
    4. Adobe Flash will be supported
    5. WiFi recommended for downloading update, file is 133 MB.
    6. Performance Improvements
    −The new 2.2 OS has improved management of device memory, providing the user with faster transition through the device user interface and faster interaction with applications.
    7. 5 Home Screens
    −More home screens to further customize device short cuts and quick access to key apps.
    8. Live Wallpaper Support
    −Allows the user to customize their home screen with animated wallpapers (
    9. Camera & Camcorder Feature Buttons
    −Added to the short cut screen to allow for quicker access. These are two frequently used feat...ures consumers wanted quick access to -upload images and content to social networking sights even faster now!
    10. Gallery Zoom Gesture Support
    −Peek into stacks of pictures and zoom in and out with greater ease.
    11. Multiple keyboard languages
    −Allows the user to switch between different languages by swiping across the space bar. This will then change the keys, as well as the auto-update dictionary.
    12. MS Exchange supported (email, calendar, and contacts)
    −Provides the user total access to their daily calendar, all saved contacts and the ability to multitask via e-mail; this is the true Smartphone experience! (Kyocera will provide set up and instructions in updated User Guide)
    13. Application Auto Update
    14. As new apps are downloaded, the user can choose auto update or manual update –the user controls how updates to their device are handled.

DO NOT unplug the device from the computer while the update is in progress (device screen will go black once upgrade is in progress). This will break the device.
    •The tethered upgrade process will take about 10 minutes (progress will be sho...w via status bar in-tool). Thereafter it will power-cycle and wake-up.This may take several minutes as the new system boots on the handset, please be patient.
    –You can confirm the SW version as follows: Menu > Settings > About Phone, scroll down to confirm Android Version = 2.2.1and Build Number = V1.900CR.9C.

ZioAndroid 2.2 Upgrade: Wi-Fi download process, before you start….
    •The device should be fully charged when starting the download.
    •It is recommended that the user set their screen timeout setting to „never time out.‟
    •The file can only be dow...nloaded over Wi-Fi. The user must set up the Wi-Fi connection and remain connected to Wi-Fi for the entire length of the download.
    –Do NOT attempt the download over Mi-Fi(it will take forever).
    •The speed of the upgrade is largely dependent on your Wi-Fi connection and data speeds. On high-speed Wi-Fi connection with good signal quality, the upgrade could take as little as 30 minutes to complete.Under less desirable circumstances, the upgrade could take upwards of 2 hours.

The upgrade consists of 3 separate software packages, your device will power-cycle after each one is downloaded and installed. Only after the third power cycle and restart package will the icons on the home screen be updated.
    •The download ...happens in the background and there are only a few times during the upgrade that the device will not be usable (this is noted in the upgrade instructions). However, it is recommended, for the most efficient upgrade experience, that you refrain from using your device to make / accept calls, sendmessages, or for web access while the upgrade is in process.
    •If the download is interrupted (Wi-Fi is lost) the user can manually restart the download / installation, otherwise the device will automatically retry in 2 weeks.

Source: Zclusive on facebook - this is a very reliable source and all the info seems to be in order, plus this is an awful lot of work for someone to put into something if it werent real

here is the link to the thread - http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/permalink.php?story_fbid=195543437141983&id=100001138331313
    Here is an APN now if some can dump the ROM. Since it can be rooted, a recovery.img can be done, it's 1/3 to having custom 2.1 ROMs built for it.
    my brother got here today... universal androot worked great and i got a rom dump...
    i removed a few system apps he wanted removed before i dumped the system partition, that's what's in the "removed system apps" folder.

http://ig.gl/zio.zip
    Im now waiting to read all the "I somehow bricked my device" posts bound to show up..
    So someones gotta say it..
    Lets be clear: if you dont think you can update your phone yourself using zclusives method, DONT!

Wait for the OTA update.
    Please...

Wait for the update...