[Q] Can;t make any call

Search This thread

ColOfAbRiX

Jan 20, 2008
Hi all,
I've probably messed up something with my phone and now I can't call: when I try to call a number a black screen appears and it stops there. The phone still works for few minutes and then it freezes and I have to remove the battery.

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S2 with CyanogenMod 10.1.

I think this problem is related with some app that overwrote something in the phone, maybe after an update that I did 10 days ago. Is there a way to restore the caller application? Maybe installing again the GApps? I don't exactly know what procedure to follow, could somebody help me, please?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
First off, I'd just go into Settings / Applications / All and wipe the cache and data of the Dialer and reboot. See if that will help. Then you can try reinstalling the rom and Gapps while just wiping cache and dalvik cache. If that doesn't do it, then wiping everything, including /system might be in order. Make sure you back up your contacts, apps, messages, etc that you want first in case you end up needing to reset completely.

ColOfAbRiX

Jan 20, 2008
First off, I'd just go into Settings / Applications / All and wipe the cache and data of the Dialer and reboot. See if that will help.

I really didn't think of that. Thanks!! I'll give it a try :fingers-crossed:

Then you can try reinstalling the rom and Gapps while just wiping cache and dalvik cache. If that doesn't do it, then wiping everything, including /system might be in order. Make sure you back up your contacts, apps, messages, etc that you want first in case you end up needing to reset completely.

I would like to avoid this... I have both a full nandroid backup and a titanum backup, but it will take some time to reset and check all the phone. I was looking for a solution that let me understand the problem and deal with it the next time.

Anyway... Thanks! :highfive:

EDIT: Find the dialer in cyanogenmod is not trivial :D

Last edited:

ColOfAbRiX

Jan 20, 2008
I've tried to wipe the data of the dialer without luck :mad:

I use Contact+ as contact manager and it has its builtin dialer. Usually, after I press the button "call" another application starts, from which I can see the call options, the speakerphone, terminate call button, ... And now it's always black. For this reason I'm not sure what really is the broken app.

To figure out what the issue is you would need to run a logcat and then recreate the problem.

I've attached the log taken with logcat, it starts when I make the call.

Attachments

• logcat.txt
    13.1 KB · Views: 5
  • logcat_win.txt
    11.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

ColOfAbRiX

Jan 20, 2008
A little update: while trying to make another call I was able to talk and hear the other person, but with the screen always black. After a while I received a message "Phone activity is not responding"

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
Well, I'm definitely not an expert in reading logcats (trying to get better...) but I see some stuff that seems important... I'm wondering though, have you removed the original Dialer/Phone app and / or are you using only the other app to dial - the one with your 3rd part Contact app manager? From browsing the logcats it seems like it's trying to connect with another app and something is missing and causing everything to fail. This is more of an educated guess at this point, but if that is the case, it might narrow down the issue a bit more. Curious : Why not make a nandroid backup and flash an updated version of the rom? I know there is a slightly newer stable version of CM for the S2...

Oh yea, which S2, by the way? There are quite a few variants of the S2 and some of them are so different that there is no reason they should even be called the S2 (different screens, bodies, processors, etc) so depending which one, there might be a better rom for it.

Last edited:

ColOfAbRiX

Jan 20, 2008
Well, I'm definitely not an expert in reading logcats (trying to get better...) but I see some stuff that seems important... I'm wondering though, have you removed the original Dialer/Phone app and / or are you using only the other app to dial - the one with your 3rd part Contact app manager?

I changed dialer a long time ago, I remember I didn't remove the original one. Also searching in the app list I can see an app that looks like the original dialer. I use only the Contact+ dialer but I think it eventually uses the original one.

From browsing the logcats it seems like it's trying to connect with another app and something is missing and causing everything to fail. This is more of an educated guess at this point, but if that is the case, it might narrow down the issue a bit more.

What lines are you talking about? The only interesting lines I can see are:

W/ActivityManager( 4082): Launch timeout has expired, giving up wake lock!
W/ActivityManager( 4082): Activity idle timeout for ActivityRecord{42229420 u0 com.android.phone/.SipCallOptionHandler}

They look related to the black screen after the call is started.
There is another interesting line

W/dalvikvm(21477): VFY: unable to resolve static method 1599: Landroid/provider/Telephony$Sms;.getDefaultSmsPackage (Landroid/content/Context;)Ljava/lang/String;

It can be due to a broken davlik cache after I've updated the apps. I've just cleaned the dalvik cache, I'll try if it works later.
I can also see a problem with the RIL:

E/TinyALSA-Audio RIL Interface( 2356): ril_connect() failed

I changed the RIL about one month ago with the app GetRIL (I am aware I should keep the CM one). I don't remember I've had any problems one month ago because I noticed the dialer not working only few days ago.

Curious : Why not make a nandroid backup and flash an updated version of the rom? I know there is a slightly newer stable version of CM for the S2...

I want to fix the problem to avoid it next time. I prefer not to reset my phone every time there is only 1 thing that doesn't work! :D
Anyway I have a clean and fully functional rom backup taken about 2 months ago. If everything fails I'll go for that. It's CM 10.1.3 Stable. Or maybe for the new nightly build of CM11, as you suggested! :good:

Oh yea, which S2, by the way? There are quite a few variants of the S2 and some of them are so different that there is no reason they should even be called the S2 (different screens, bodies, processors, etc) so depending which one, there might be a better rom for it.

System settings -> About phone
Model: GT-I9100
CPU: ARMv7 Processor rev1 (v7l)
Memory: 804 MB
CyanogenMod version: 10.1.3-i9100
Kernel version: 3.10.0-R93-Siyah-Dorimanx-V9.39-JB-SGII-PWR-CORE

And thanks for the help :highfive:

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
I/ActivityManager( 4082): Start proc com.contapps.android:ContactActionProcess for broadcast com.contapps.android/.utils.ContactActionReceiver: pid=21477 uid=10006 gids={50006, 3003, 1015, 1028}
D/Yamaha-MC1N2-Audio( 2356): yamaha_mc1n2_audio_modem_start()
D/Yamaha-MC1N2-Audio( 2356): yamaha_mc1n2_audio_route_start()
D/Yamaha-MC1N2-Audio( 2356): (yamaha_mc1n2_audio_params_route_find): device = 2, direction = 2
W/Trace (21477): error opening trace file: No such file or directory (2)
I/dalvikvm(21477): Could not find method android.provider.Telephony$Sms.getDefaultSmsPackage, referenced from method com.contapps.android.utils.GlobalUtils.a
W/dalvikvm(21477): VFY: unable to resolve static method 1599: Landroid/provider/Telephony$Sms;.getDefaultSmsPackage (Landroid/content/Context;)Ljava/lang/String;
D/dalvikvm(21477): VFY: replacing opcode 0x71 at 0x00b6
I/Crashlytics(21477): Initializing Crashlytics 1.1.10.12
D/TinyALSA-Audio RIL Interface( 2356): audio_ril_interface_open(0x400e9b50, 2, 0x40ffdc54)
D/TinyALSA-Audio RIL Interface( 2356): audio_ril_interface_set_route(2)
E/TinyALSA-Audio RIL Interface( 2356): ril_connect() failed
D/TinyALSA-Audio RIL Interface( 2356): audio_ril_interface_set_voice_volume(2, 1.000000)
I/dalvikvm(21477): Could not find method android.provider.Telephony$Sms.getDefaultSmsPackage, referenced from method com.contapps.android.ContactsPlusBaseSettings.b
D/dalvikvm(21477): VFY: replacing opcode 0x71 at 0x000a
I/dalvikvm(21477): Could not find method android.graphics.Bitmap.getAllocationByteCount, referenced from method com.contapps.android.utils.ImageCache.a
W/dalvikvm(21477): VFY: unable to resolve virtual method 927: Landroid/graphics/Bitmap;.getAllocationByteCount ()I
D/dalvikvm(21477): VFY: replacing opcode 0x6e at 0x001c
D/ImageCache(21477): Memory cache created (size = 4915)
W/ContApps(21477): Setting CallReceiver: false
I/ActivityManager( 4082): No longer want com.skype.raider (pid 21120): empty #17

That stretch right there seems like it is the culprit. Like it's trying to connect to the main dialer action of the phone and fails.

Could not find method android.provider.Telephony$Sms.getDefaultSmsPackage

That shows up twice in connection to the Contact+ app. Then it errors trying to pull something for the bitmap graphics which would probably explain the black screen part. The RIL part might be important as well, but I think the first thing to try might be something other than Contact+...?

As far as roms, I guess 10.1.3 was the last stable one for that. Thought it would have 10.2 If you get adventuresome, you should check out Slim. It's well supported with some nice features but not one of the everything but the kitchen sink type things.

ColOfAbRiX

Jan 20, 2008
That stretch right there seems like it is the culprit. Like it's trying to connect to the main dialer action of the phone and fails.

Could not find method android.provider.Telephony$Sms.getDefaultSmsPackage

That shows up twice in connection to the Contact+ app. Then it errors trying to pull something for the bitmap graphics which would probably explain the black screen part. The RIL part might be important as well, but I think the first thing to try might be something other than Contact+...?

As far as roms, I guess 10.1.3 was the last stable one for that. Thought it would have 10.2 If you get adventuresome, you should check out Slim. It's well supported with some nice features but not one of the everything but the kitchen sink type things.

Cleaning the dalvik cache and installing a new dialer () didn't work. About the dialer... well I think the problem is not the dialer: I can dial! :D The problem is the application that manages the active call. And I don't know how it's called or I would try to clean or reinstall it! Can it be an activity contained in the app called com.android.phone?

Slim looks nice :) I can try it after I solve this problem!

ColOfAbRiX

Jan 20, 2008
I solved the problem, it was the RIL. I changed it to try different settings and in the end I was able to put back the original one.
Many thanks anyway!